Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
Air Horn blowing fuse I_icon_minitimeby john grinsel Today at 3:31 pm

» New to Me Swing
Air Horn blowing fuse I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Today at 3:47 am

» I said Farewell...
Air Horn blowing fuse I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 8:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Air Horn blowing fuse I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 10:05 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Air Horn blowing fuse I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:28 pm

» Drive belt prices
Air Horn blowing fuse I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:28 pm

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Air Horn blowing fuse I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Air Horn blowing fuse I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Air Horn blowing fuse I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Air Horn blowing fuse I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Air Horn blowing fuse

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
ezed1
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
ezed1

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2023-07-28

Air Horn blowing fuse Empty
PostSubject: Air Horn blowing fuse   Air Horn blowing fuse I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 22, 2023 12:43 am

Well had my first electrical problem I installed a air horn using the bikes horn wires to trigger the supplied relay to power the horn but what i failed to realize was that the supplied relay was rated for 80 amps Shocked so when you press the horn button that relay is trying to pull 80 amps on a 10 amp line smdh mind you it didn't blow right away it blew out of the blue causing no display or horn at all Sad  they have the display marked as METER in the picture i supplied, the fuse B is marked in yellow with and arrow pointing at it for those who may run into this problem down the line :-) in red is the path it takes to the display from the battery Air Horn blowing fuse No_dis10 the picture sucks but you can reference it to your pdf file or manuals picture, page 521 of the service manual thumbs up oh and i replaced that relay with a 30 amp one and changed that 10 amp fuse to a 30 amp fuse
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 516
Registration date : 2020-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Air Horn blowing fuse   Air Horn blowing fuse I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 22, 2023 11:36 am

1st, you should never, ever, replace a fuse with bigger amp size, the fuse it's meant to protect the wiring by limiting the amperage to the wire gauge/circuit limit, overheating or burning a wire in a wiring harness will cause major headaches.

The main power supply to your new horn should use a dedicated/fused wire directly from the battery, the oem horn wiring should be used only to actuate the relay. The relay rating is for the contacts that supply the accessory, horn/lights/etc., the relay coil that pulls/closes the contact is usually low amperage and will never blow a 10amp fuse, check your connections.

Last edited by zrx212 on Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4177
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Air Horn blowing fuse   Air Horn blowing fuse I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 22, 2023 11:41 am

Just out of interest, why do you need an air horn? I know the OE Silver Wing horn was legally adequate at best, but how often does anyone use a horn in normal day to day riding.

I had a Silver Wing for eight years and I don't think I ever used it, apart from occasionally checking to see it was working, and before presenting it for our annual MOT road worthiness checks. I've had my Forza for five years now and the same applies. I do accidentally press the horn button instead of cancelling the indicators/turn signals when I haven't ridden for a while and that’s it.

In fact I could go way back to the Seventies and say the same about the many motorcycle I owned, right up until I started riding maxi scooters in '96.

There is some old topics on here about fitting air horns and or those extra loud overkill locomotive horns. There seemed to be a fad for fitting them for a while, and problems were encountered with relays, or the horn compressor was too large to fit where the old Honda horn was.

Anyway have fun, I'm now in the mood to go to my Forza and test the horn loudness in my garage.

PS I don't think I will, unnecessary horn use is like loud exhaust noise, it just pisses people off.

Back to top Go down
ezed1
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
ezed1

PostSubject: Re: Air Horn blowing fuse   Air Horn blowing fuse I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 22, 2023 11:55 am

zrx212 wrote:
1st, you should never, ever, replace a fuse with bigger amp size, the fuse it's meant to protect the wiring by limiting the amperage to the wire gauge/circuit limit, overheating or burning a wire in a wiring harness will cause major headaches.

The main power supply to your new horn should use a dedicated/fused wire directly from the battery, the oem horn wiring should be used only to actuate the relay. The relay rating is for the contacts that supply the accessory, horn/lights/etc., the relay coil that pulls/closes the contact is usually low amperage and will never blow a 10amp fuse, check your connections.
ok so the relay rating  refers only to the contacts and not the coil side 👍🏾thanks I have that side 🏃 ng to the battery with a 30amp inline fuse I will change the horn circuit activation side back to the original 10amp fuse and recheck my wiring and thanks 👍🏾👍🏾😬and to think I thought I was a pretty good electrical guy 😂😂😂😂

Last edited by ezed1 on Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
ezed1
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
ezed1

PostSubject: Re: Air Horn blowing fuse   Air Horn blowing fuse I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 22, 2023 12:29 pm

Meldrew wrote:
Just out of interest, why do you need an air horn? I know the OE Silver Wing horn was legally adequate at best, but how often does anyone use a horn in normal day to day riding.

I had a Silver Wing for eight years and I don't think I ever used it, apart from occasionally checking to see it was working, and before presenting it for our annual MOT road worthiness checks. I've had my Forza for five years now and the same applies. I do accidentally press the horn button instead of cancelling the indicators/turn signals when I haven't ridden for a while and that’s it.

In fact I could go way back to the Seventies and say the same about the many motorcycle I owned, right up until I started riding maxi scooters in '96.

There is some old topics on here about fitting air horns and or those extra loud overkill locomotive horns.  There seemed to be a fad for fitting them for a while, and problems were encountered with relays, or the horn compressor was too large to fit where the old Honda horn was.

Anyway have fun, I'm now in the mood to go to my Forza and test the horn loudness in my garage.

PS  I don't think I will, unnecessary horn use is like loud exhaust noise, it just pisses people off.

Lol 😂 it’s a restore project and although loud enough I didn’t really like the beetle beep beep sound the horn small mounted tucked away in a nice spot behind the display and the relay went where the old horn was mounted a pretty clean install but I need to recheck my ground connection may have been loose and like another member advised to change that horn circuit back to its original 10amp setup 😬
Back to top Go down
ezed1
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
ezed1

PostSubject: Re: Air Horn blowing fuse   Air Horn blowing fuse I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 27, 2023 11:39 pm

zrx212 wrote:

The main power supply to your new horn should use a dedicated/fused wire directly from the battery, the OEM horn wiring should be used only to actuate the relay. The relay rating is for the contacts that supply the accessory, horn/lights/etc., the relay coil that pulls/closes the contact is usually low amperage and will never blow a 10amp fuse, check your connections.
did as you suggested and also didn't realize it only happens when you START- close that what they call a limit switch in the left hand brake assembly, I had recently added a switch there to cut the head light on and off and i slid that brake assembly over and that connection was rubbing against the handle bar Shocked smdh but got it figured out LOL
Back to top Go down
ezed1
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
ezed1

PostSubject: Re: Air Horn blowing fuse   Air Horn blowing fuse I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 05, 2024 11:45 pm

ezed1 wrote:
Meldrew wrote:

There is some old topics on here about fitting air horns and or those extra loud overkill locomotive horns.  There seemed to be a fad for fitting them for a while, and problems were encountered with relays, or the horn compressor was too large to fit where the old Honda horn was.

PS  I don't think I will, unnecessary horn use is like loud exhaust noise, it just pisses people off.

Lol 😂 it’s a restore project and although loud enough I didn’t really like the beetle beep beep sound the horn small mounted tucked away in a nice spot behind the display and the relay went where the old horn was mounted a pretty clean install but I need to recheck my ground connection may have been loose and like another member advised to change that horn circuit back to its original 10amp setup 😬
oh and here in the good old US of A there are a lot of rude Yahoos that have no respect for bikes so to get there attention this horn will do it
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Air Horn blowing fuse   Air Horn blowing fuse I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Air Horn blowing fuse
Page 1 of 1