Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Parking Brake Lever I_icon_minitimeby Kunamika Hopper Today at 9:47 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to progreso, and could use some advice
Parking Brake Lever I_icon_minitimeby Kunamika Hopper Today at 9:27 pm

» LF extended back rest
Parking Brake Lever I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Today at 8:54 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Parking Brake Lever I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 12:54 pm

» Drive belt prices
Parking Brake Lever I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Parking Brake Lever I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Parking Brake Lever I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
Parking Brake Lever I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» I said Farewell...
Parking Brake Lever I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Parking Brake Lever I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Parking Brake Lever

Go down 
+5
GHM-PM
Hiyo
Siataukreg
Mech 1 twa
Donie
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Donie
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2013-04-07

Parking Brake Lever Empty
PostSubject: Parking Brake Lever   Parking Brake Lever I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2020 4:47 pm

Until a couple of weeks ago I hadn't been on my Swing for over three years, due to life threatening, horrific injuries, sustained in an unrelated accident.

When I bought the Silverwing the Parking Brake Lever didn't hold in the On position.

It didn't bother me because I'd had many bikes and no parking brakes.

Now I would like to fix it, and I have searched the forum, with no success or mention of the lever itself.

I believe the problem is probably a broken spring in the ratchet/pawl, that should catch, and hold the lever position, when you pull it.

Before I begin to remove the pull lever I'd love to hear from anyone who has tackled the problem.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Parking Brake Lever   Parking Brake Lever I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2020 7:37 pm

What's going on?  Pull handle it just releases itself.  Do you hear it clicking when pulled ?  

Pull the right cubby-pocket  parking brake is visible from there.   I'm not sure of exact issue but here's a photo from the top of brake.Parking Brake Lever Img_2053

It might be so far out of adjustment or pads are worn out or caliper is stuck?
Back to top Go down
Donie
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Parking Brake Lever   Parking Brake Lever I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2020 6:11 am

It pulls ok but there are no clicks.

The light goes on, and the caliper works, but it won't stay pulled.

As I said earlier, I suspect that the ratchet or pawl mechanism in the pull lever is the culprit.
Back to top Go down
Siataukreg
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Siataukreg

Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2014-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Parking Brake Lever   Parking Brake Lever I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2020 9:29 am

They do stick so spray with wd40 it will probably free off
Back to top Go down
Donie
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Parking Brake Lever   Parking Brake Lever I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2020 2:20 pm

I sprayed the lever mechanism (blindly with a straw on the spray nozzle) very liberally with WD40 and pulled the lever incessantly, letting it spring back off, hoping that the chattering would free up the ratchet...………

……………..and surprise surprise...…..it worked.

Ronnie, thanks for the input, it spared me taking the whole lever unit of a not-so-easy location,
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Parking Brake Lever   Parking Brake Lever I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2020 5:37 pm

cheers another K.I.S.S. solution.
Back to top Go down
Hiyo
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Hiyo

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2019-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Parking Brake Lever   Parking Brake Lever I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2020 12:46 am

Siataukreg beat me to it. Same thing was happening with my brake lever. Lubed it up and it worked fine. Be well. 🏁
🕺
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Parking Brake Lever   Parking Brake Lever I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2020 7:48 am

I have had my scooter since new in 2012. I VERY seldom use the parking brake, guess I figure it is overkill except in rare instances. Weird thing is last year the dealer was installing tires for me and checked the brakes. They said the brakes were fine except for the parking brake which had some wear on it...not enough to fix but still, the one I don't use is worn?
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Parking Brake Lever   Parking Brake Lever I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2020 7:55 am

GHM-PM wrote:
I have had my scooter since new in 2012. I VERY seldom use the parking brake, guess I figure it is overkill except in rare instances. Weird thing is last year the dealer was installing tires for me and checked the brakes. They said the brakes were fine except for the parking brake which had some wear on it...not enough to fix but still, the one I don't use is worn?

When I ordered new pads for mine I was surprise how thin the parking brake was, but then again it's for parking Smile
Back to top Go down
Murf
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Murf

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Parking Brake Lever   Parking Brake Lever I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2020 11:14 am

Just like us old people if you don't use it you loose it.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Parking Brake Lever   Parking Brake Lever I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2020 8:48 pm

oldwingguy wrote:
GHM-PM wrote:

When I ordered new pads for mine I was surprise how thin the parking brake was, but then again it's for parking Smile

That may be the key, perhaps the tech didn't realize how thin the pads were supposed to be.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1564
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Parking Brake Lever   Parking Brake Lever I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2020 1:27 pm

I guess the reason that the new pads are so thin is because, as often mentioned here on the forum, many people don't use the parking brake. The pads last for ages. Honda foresaw this human trait and so saved money and resources in production. They then invested heavily in WD-40......didn't they?
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Parking Brake Lever   Parking Brake Lever I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2020 4:25 pm

Loosemarbles wrote:
I guess the reason that the new pads are so thin is because, as often mentioned here on the forum, many people don't use the parking brake. The pads last for ages. Honda foresaw this human trait and so saved money and resources in production. They then invested heavily in WD-40......didn't they?

The purpose of the parking brake is to stop the bike from rolling and not to slow movement. It should not wear for the life of your Swing, unless you have a habit of driving with the brake on.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Parking Brake Lever   Parking Brake Lever I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2020 9:40 pm

IF Smile you drive off with the parking brake applied you don't rack up miles on the odometer Sad
Back to top Go down
Donie
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Parking Brake Lever   Parking Brake Lever I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2020 1:06 pm

Wouldn't the red light be visible, so you shouldn't get very far without noticing that...……….long before you notice that the odometer isn't registering any miles.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Parking Brake Lever   Parking Brake Lever I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Parking Brake Lever
Page 1 of 1