Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Sinko De Mayo
Trunk light switch. I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 3:33 pm

» May 2024 forum picture
Trunk light switch. I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 10:44 am

» checking the oil
Trunk light switch. I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Trunk light switch. I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Trunk light switch. I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Trunk light switch. I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Trunk light switch. I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Trunk light switch. I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Trunk light switch. I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Trunk light switch. I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Trunk light switch.

Go down 
+10
Loosemarbles
Meldrew
Dale N.
Garfeild
Delray
GoonerKev
Cosmic_Jumper
Easyrider
john grinsel
Nobody
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Nobody
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2019-07-09

Trunk light switch. Empty
PostSubject: Trunk light switch.   Trunk light switch. I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2019 11:47 am

After a couple of no starts due to a flat battery I took out the trunk bulb and all is well. Can anyone tell me the location of the switch so I can check it? Cheers.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Trunk light switch.   Trunk light switch. I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2019 12:27 pm

Just leave bulb out---get flashlite if necessary. Worked for me for over 90,000 miles.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Trunk light switch.   Trunk light switch. I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2019 1:03 pm

Others like me have replaced the light fixture with the ones come in the Honda car trunk light. The mount and electrical connectors are the same. It comes with an on/off switch. Costs about $30 depending where you live.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Trunk light switch.   Trunk light switch. I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2019 1:55 pm

The actual switch is part of one of the two seat latch mechanisms. Best to follow Mr Grinsel's advise.
Back to top Go down
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

Number of posts : 409
Registration date : 2019-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Trunk light switch.   Trunk light switch. I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2019 5:52 pm

Lose the Bulb and carry a Torch in there, no probs after that Wink
Back to top Go down
Nobody
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2019-07-09

PostSubject: Re: Trunk light switch.   Trunk light switch. I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 27, 2019 12:42 am

Thanks to you all for the advice Torch it is.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Trunk light switch.   Trunk light switch. I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 27, 2019 12:10 pm

There are people who like to add junk(electronic) to the SilverWing----they probably do not ride much or go distant places---remember the bike has no kick starter/ability to be bump started. Less strain on battery always better----nice to have the thing start on cold morning in Canada or AK. I rode mine.
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2018-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Trunk light switch.   Trunk light switch. I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 27, 2019 2:09 pm

"There are people who like to add junk(electronic) to the SilverWing----they probably do not ride much"

One has nothing to do with the other.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Trunk light switch.   Trunk light switch. I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 27, 2019 4:37 pm

Yes it does----keeping the electric original helps keep starting reliable, when you are in the strangest places-----and hate walking. try a long trip sometime.
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2018-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Trunk light switch.   Trunk light switch. I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 27, 2019 4:44 pm

Long trips keep the battery fully charged.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Trunk light switch.   Trunk light switch. I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2019 2:04 am

Why argue about this old chestnut again, it's been well documented on here and other maxi scooter forums that an under seat/trunk light without a switch can and will flatten the battery if the seat isn't closed properly.

The Silver Wing's under seat light has always been useless as it's located right at the rear, it's spread of light is poor, and any large items stored near it will effectively block out the light.

In reality how often does anyone poke around under the seat in darkness looking for stuff. It's already been mentioned in similar topics over the years that removing the bulb and keeping a cheap torch or LED light under the seat is much more useful for this and other uses.

Even if you don't carry an alternative light source under the seat, just about everyone has a mobile/cell phone on them which has a Flashlight function in the Control Centre.

It's an altogether brighter LED light than that weedy bulb under the seat too. Go to any rock or pop concert these days and fans are waving their phones about, just like they used to do with cigarette lighters back in the day.
Back to top Go down
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

Number of posts : 409
Registration date : 2019-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Trunk light switch.   Trunk light switch. I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2019 4:49 am

Say's it all, Take bulb out & use a torch or the mobile Flash. Simples
Back to top Go down
Garfeild
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2020-04-02

PostSubject: Re: Trunk light switch.   Trunk light switch. I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2020 12:48 pm

I’ve had trouble with other scooters, with under seat lights, particularly a burgman 400 which I fixed the non working
Light, then it flattened the bloody battery, so I unfixed it again, end of problem.
My silverwing light doesn’t work, so it’s going to stay that way, a cheap torch, or as meldrew says, use your phone,
Will be a better light anyway.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1986
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Trunk light switch.   Trunk light switch. I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2020 12:49 am

I did like everybody is saying and threw the bulb away just after I bought my 08 SWing. I have a small LED flashlight/torch under the seat and use that.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Trunk light switch.   Trunk light switch. I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2020 2:01 am

There's no need to remove or throw the bulb away, just cover it with bubble wrap or similar so that the contacts are covered and it doesn't illuminate with the seat raised, and push it back into place.

That's the flat battery problem solved for you, and whenever you sell the Silver Wing you know as soon as you remove the wrap and put the bulb back in you have a trunk light that works again.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1566
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Trunk light switch.   Trunk light switch. I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2020 7:30 am

Did anybody ever get to the bottom of this issue, i.e. where the fault lies? and is there a fix?
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3794
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Trunk light switch.   Trunk light switch. I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2020 1:53 pm

I think the 'fault', if that's what it is, lies almost completely with the rider who fails to shut the seat properly.
I know mine is quite tight so I have to be careful; the seat, that is. Wink
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1566
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Trunk light switch.   Trunk light switch. I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2020 2:07 pm

MikeO, are you saying that yours works OK without running the battery flat?
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3794
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Trunk light switch.   Trunk light switch. I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2020 2:27 pm

No, because the bulb had already been removed by the previous owner.
In fact, I've removed the bulb myself in all the other maxiscooters I've owned.
I became aware soon after I bought 'The Crowman' that, sometimes when I was riding, the seat came unlatched.
I guess it could be adjusted but it's not worth the hassle. So far, I've remembered to check when I leave the bike.
Back to top Go down
cookkees
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2020-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Trunk light switch.   Trunk light switch. I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2020 7:44 pm

Dale N. wrote:
I did like everybody is saying and threw the bulb away just after I bought my 08 SWing. I have a small LED flashlight/torch under the seat and use that.

So....how exactly does one remove the bulb? Any trick to it?

Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Trunk light switch.   Trunk light switch. I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2020 8:22 pm

Nothing fancy. Pry the lens cover off and remove bulb. Don't short anything across bulb terminals and all good.

Welcome from the other side of the state. Allentown. I was out your way last fall Somerset and up to Erie after that. Took a quick tour of Flight 93 Memorial. Rt 30 is nice east of there closer to Pittsburg becomes suburbia with traffic and malls.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2561
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Trunk light switch.   Trunk light switch. I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2020 7:55 am

Meldrew wrote:
There's no need to remove or throw the bulb away, just cover it with bubble wrap or similar so that the contacts are covered and it doesn't illuminate with the seat raised, and push it back into place.

That's the flat battery problem solved for you, and whenever you sell the Silver Wing you know as soon as you remove the wrap and put the bulb back in you have a trunk light that works again.

Like Meldrew I was concerned about taking out the bulb cause I knew that if needed I would NEVER be able to find it. LOL I sprang for a new Honda/Acura part with a switch. Easy install and looks and works fine:

https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~light~assy~34260-SH3-004.html

That said the light is not great and I have only used it a couple of times since 2012 and I do carry a small flashlight/torch also.

The main thing is to make sure it (light) doesn't run down your battery.
Back to top Go down
cookkees
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2020-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Trunk light switch.   Trunk light switch. I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2020 12:29 pm

Will do....thanks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trunk light switch.   Trunk light switch. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Trunk light switch.
Page 1 of 1