Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
Installing new trunk light I_icon_minitimeby john grinsel Today at 5:41 pm

» I said Farewell...
Installing new trunk light I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Today at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Installing new trunk light I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Installing new trunk light I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Installing new trunk light I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Installing new trunk light I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Installing new trunk light I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Installing new trunk light I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Installing new trunk light I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Installing new trunk light I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Installing new trunk light

Go down 
+11
Greysilver
Easyrider
Cosmic_Jumper
bikehiker
Scootypuff Snr
Meldrew
GHM-PM
ericclapham
john grinsel
ItBeMe
Delray
15 posters
AuthorMessage
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2018-07-07

Installing new trunk light Empty
PostSubject: Installing new trunk light   Installing new trunk light I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2018 5:57 pm

I bought a trunk light fixture with an on/off switch for my 2012 Wing. It looks exactly like the current light fixture and I've read in other threads here that "it's a 30-second installation ... pop the current light out and plug in the new one."

Before I start jabbing around with a flat screwdriver to pry the current fixture out, has anyone done this? Any tips or quick hacks?

Thanks.

Mike
Back to top Go down
ItBeMe
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2017-09-29

PostSubject: Re: Installing new trunk light   Installing new trunk light I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2018 10:55 pm

I put one on mine but I took the back top cover off to get to it and it was no big deal.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3296
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Installing new trunk light   Installing new trunk light I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2018 6:20 am

Best solution for trunk lite----take bulb out and forget about it. No risk of dead battery on a bike with no kick starter/ability to run and bump start!
Back to top Go down
ericclapham
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ericclapham

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2014-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Installing new trunk light   Installing new trunk light I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 17, 2018 11:42 pm

I fitted a light assy Honda Pt.No. 34260-SH3-004 off an Integra. It wasn't quite the push-in replacement I'd hoped for but only required minor relief ( filing ) of the existing aperture to allow the side latch thingies to pop into place.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Installing new trunk light   Installing new trunk light I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 18, 2018 7:50 am

ericclapham wrote:
I fitted a light assy Honda Pt.No. 34260-SH3-004 off an Integra.  It wasn't quite the push-in replacement I'd hoped for but only required minor relief ( filing ) of the existing aperture to allow the side latch thingies to pop into place.

I used one and don't remember any filing necessary. But since 2012, never had a dead battery so I am a happy camper. Even though the Honda location for the light is a poor one...
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4176
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Installing new trunk light   Installing new trunk light I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 18, 2018 12:09 pm

I've had my Silver Wing getting on for 8 years now and disabled the underseat light within a few weeks of buying it. (a) because of the usual maxi scooter problem of a seat not closed properly can flatten the battery, (b) it's in a useless location anyway and the light would always be obscured by some of the junk that's stored under there, and (c) I can't think of one occasion in those 8 years that I've actually needed that light to find anything I keep there.

Like a lot of owners I keep a multi LED battery lamp under the seat if I need illumination there (I haven't),  and it's also useful to have there for any other task on or off the Silver Wing that needs a bit of light.

IMNSHO, it's a another classic case of old men wasting money on unnecessary farkles, when they could be spending the same money on a tank of fuel and actually riding somewhere.
Back to top Go down
Scootypuff Snr
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Scootypuff Snr

Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2017-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Installing new trunk light   Installing new trunk light I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 18, 2018 7:37 pm

john grinsel wrote:
Best solution for trunk lite----take bulb out and forget about it.  No risk of dead battery on a bike with no kick starter/ability to run and bump start!

+1
Back to top Go down
ItBeMe
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Installing new trunk light   Installing new trunk light I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2018 12:31 pm

Delray ask for help and advice on how to install something. And than some know it all's come and tell him what he does and does not need on his bike. If your not going help please scroll on and shut up.
Thank You rant over.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Installing new trunk light   Installing new trunk light I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2018 1:13 pm

You posted you'd fitted a trunk light light to your three wheeler. So instead of your usual and repetitive bitching at we know it all's, how come you didn't give any more advice and info on installing a trunk light instead of saying fitting it was no big deal.

Back to top Go down
ItBeMe
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Installing new trunk light   Installing new trunk light I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2018 1:37 pm

I told him to take the top cover off than it is plug & play. I guess you can't read. Thank You
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Installing new trunk light   Installing new trunk light I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2018 2:06 pm

If I couldn't read, then I wouldn't be able to write either and post the stuff that obviously winds you up. I can ride a Silver Wing without a set training wheels too. Smile

Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Installing new trunk light   Installing new trunk light I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2018 5:33 pm

No really deep issues here. Good advice from both two and three-wheel riders.

I removed my bulb soon after getting the SWing, because of good info from this forum, and now have one of those cheap motion detector LED lights that shuts off after 30 seconds. Have not needed it for local trips, but may need it during camping trips.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Installing new trunk light   Installing new trunk light I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2018 6:44 pm

Chill out fellas

Tim
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

PostSubject: Re: Installing new trunk light   Installing new trunk light I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2018 12:12 pm

Update on installation in case any future riders are looking for information ... I ordered an OEM light fixture with an On/Off switch and it's a breeze to install. I know some folks just pull out the bulb and others use alternate light sources. I use the light regularly and really enjoy the On/Off switch.

To remove the old fixture, pry the cover off the old light with a flat blade screwdriver -- there's a slot on the side. Once the cover is off, wedge the screwdriver up the side of the fixture and push in; the fixture is held in place by pressure on both sides (look at the new fixture to get a sense of what needs to happen with the old fixture). When you get one side loose, do the same on the other side and the fixture will "fall out of the ceiling" with the wiring attached. To remove the fixture from the wiring, push in on a small "button" that releases the fixture. To install the new fixture (which came with a bulb in place), just reverse the steps.

I ordered the fixture from Bernardi Auto Parts in Massachusetts. It cost $27.99 (I have no reference if that's a good price or not). My only beef was that their shipping was $10.99 and it took a week; that didn't seem fair.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Installing new trunk light   Installing new trunk light I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2018 3:22 pm

I actually purchased mine from a local Honda car dealership. It was around $30 total. I don't keep a lot of junk and the light works well for me. I do keep a flashlight under my seat, but it is secured to the tool storage and would be a hassel to remove just to look for some small item. Never had a problem leaving the light on.
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

PostSubject: Re: Installing new trunk light   Installing new trunk light I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2018 5:38 pm

Honda part # is 34260-SH3-004.
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Installing new trunk light   Installing new trunk light I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2018 12:26 am

I removed the trunk light, no replacement, except a flash light.
Back to top Go down
nooner
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2017-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Installing new trunk light   Installing new trunk light I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2018 11:13 pm

Did this install today. Getting the old one out was a little fidgety but all ended well. Thanks to Delray for the clear instructions.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Installing new trunk light   Installing new trunk light I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 01, 2018 7:28 am

If I were to replace mine I would use the HF no wires light. $ 2.99, 200 Lumens, place it anywhere under there you want. EZ peezee cheap and removable without tools.
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Installing new trunk light   Installing new trunk light I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 01, 2018 8:06 am

I did the swap when I had a Swing.  It was very expensive in the U.K. and not really worth the bother.  Bulb removal and a cheap LED hand lamp are an easier and better option.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Installing new trunk light 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Installing new trunk light   Installing new trunk light I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 01, 2018 11:27 am

oldwingguy wrote:
If I were to replace mine I would use the HF no wires light. $ 2.99, 200 Lumens, place it anywhere under there you want. EZ peezee cheap and removable without tools.

That's the light someone "borrowed" to look for something. Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Installing new trunk light   Installing new trunk light I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Installing new trunk light
Page 1 of 1