Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
Stupid mistake caused flat I_icon_minitimeby john grinsel Today at 5:41 pm

» I said Farewell...
Stupid mistake caused flat I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Today at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Stupid mistake caused flat I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Stupid mistake caused flat I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Stupid mistake caused flat I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Stupid mistake caused flat I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Stupid mistake caused flat I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Stupid mistake caused flat I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Stupid mistake caused flat I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Stupid mistake caused flat I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Stupid mistake caused flat

Go down 
+4
Easyrider
Mech 1 twa
phils a winger
Lugwrench
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Lugwrench
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2018-08-15

Stupid mistake caused flat Empty
PostSubject: Stupid mistake caused flat   Stupid mistake caused flat I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 02, 2019 3:14 pm

Hi all I really did a stupid thing today. I was checking tire pressures. And decided that the rear tire 90 degree elbow should be turned outward from brake disc for easier access. Well I did this checked my pressure was going to go on a nice Sunday ride and got about 2miles and my rear tire went almost flat.
1.I maybe have to replace valve stem??
2. What is the proper position for elbow away from brake disc or towards.? Pain in butt to check if it is aimed toward brake disc.
Thanks
Back to top Go down
phils a winger
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
phils a winger

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2014-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Stupid mistake caused flat   Stupid mistake caused flat I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 02, 2019 4:29 pm

Mine points to the disc and dont have a problem, I use a garage type one on a flexi hose
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1381
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Stupid mistake caused flat   Stupid mistake caused flat I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 02, 2019 5:12 pm

It faces the disc side. There is a small plastic part that locks to rim to hold valve stem most likely yours is missing. It's damaged if loosing pressure. It's a pain checking that thing because it flexes and it's hard to reach.
I installed aluminum 90 deg. stems but had to rotate the rear one slightly to clear that raised part that holds stem holder. Look nice and don't flex trying to check pressure. You can't win facing the stems left or right because brake discs are on opposite sides.
Back to top Go down
Lugwrench
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Stupid mistake caused flat   Stupid mistake caused flat I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 02, 2019 6:31 pm

Thank you for reply. I did learn a new lesson from all this what it feels like to have a tire go flat.
Carry plenty of quarters with you not just for parking but air stations
Learning to remove rear tire. Watched a video and tried to follow manual.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Stupid mistake caused flat   Stupid mistake caused flat I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 03, 2019 2:22 pm

The stem faces the brake rotor because if you install it towards the left, it would strike the drive housing. The stem is secured to the mount on the wheel to prevent flexing of the stem while the wheel is spinning. I have a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) mounted to my valve stem and needs the stem mount. I love my TPMS! I no longer have to lay down on the ground to check the tire pressure before each and every ride. Just need to inspect the tire once a mount which is easy when bike on center stand.
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2018-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Stupid mistake caused flat   Stupid mistake caused flat I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 03, 2019 2:55 pm

"I have a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) mounted to my valve stem and needs the stem mount. I love my TPMS!"

This is interesting. What do you use? A quick Google search revealed a couple systems that work with Bluetooth and replace valve stems, with readings sent to a mobile app.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

PostSubject: Re: Stupid mistake caused flat   Stupid mistake caused flat I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 03, 2019 7:01 pm

Mine is a FOBO Motorcycle tire pressure monitoring system. It replaces the value stem cap. Communicates to smart phone app via BlueTooth. Safe to use with Ride-On sealer/balancer. It alerts me when the pressure is above or below my set range. It even has a loud alarm it your tire pressure goes to zero.
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2018-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Stupid mistake caused flat   Stupid mistake caused flat I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 03, 2019 9:42 pm

"Mine is a FOBO Motorcycle tire pressure monitoring system."

Thanks for the info. I perused FOBO's website. That is a slick product!

Unfortunately I have a rubber stem on the front tire. Since FOBO says they are not liable for any "untoward consequences" with rubber stems, I will wait until my next new set of tires for a metal stem and some FOBO's.

And little by little, we will drag the trusty Silver Wing into a new age of technology. ;o)
Back to top Go down
Mighty Mouse
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Mighty Mouse

Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2017-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Stupid mistake caused flat   Stupid mistake caused flat I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2019 7:31 am

I have the Steelmate TPMS - swear by it. You can still use them with a rubber stem and then replace with a steel stem when next you change the tyre. Bluetooth connection to the unit.
The digital readout is mounted in my dash - reads front & back alternately and flashes red with an audible warning if it goes above/below my settings.
I've discovered my tyre pressure changes as much as 20psi on a ride. Shocked
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

PostSubject: Re: Stupid mistake caused flat   Stupid mistake caused flat I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2019 2:44 pm

I have my FOBO system mounted on the original stems including the rubber stems on the front. I will change metal when I change my front tire soon. I didn't want to mount anything to my steering. Mine has a smartphone app.
Back to top Go down
Lugwrench
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Stupid mistake caused flat   Stupid mistake caused flat I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2019 4:20 pm

Thanks all. I have to have this rear wheel stem replaced since I damaged it. Now I have learned a new trick. How to remove rear wheel looked like a pain at first, but Ince started makes sense. I hope Iron Pony can supply me with new metal stem and are the supports available on line somewhere.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Stupid mistake caused flat   Stupid mistake caused flat I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2019 4:43 pm

Partzilla is your friend. Number 9 is the 90° stem, # 10 is the support (which may or may not fit an aftermarket stem)

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/scooter/2003/fsc600d-ac-silver-wing/rear-wheel
Back to top Go down
craigory
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
craigory

Number of posts : 120
Registration date : 2011-06-25

PostSubject: Re: Stupid mistake caused flat   Stupid mistake caused flat I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2019 11:32 pm

Many years ago, based on a tip from another forum user, I bought a 12" hose extension from an RV supply shop. They make them for RVs which have dual rear tires so you can reach the inner tire. It makes it a lot easier when checking the pressure and when inflating. Of course, a TPMS would make it even easier to check the pressure, but that's not in my budget yet. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stupid mistake caused flat   Stupid mistake caused flat I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stupid mistake caused flat
Page 1 of 1