Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» checking the oil
Quick & free trunk light fix I_icon_minitimeby COMick Today at 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Quick & free trunk light fix I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Quick & free trunk light fix I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Quick & free trunk light fix I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Quick & free trunk light fix I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Quick & free trunk light fix I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Quick & free trunk light fix I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Quick & free trunk light fix I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Quick & free trunk light fix I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Quick & free trunk light fix I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Quick & free trunk light fix

Go down 
+3
hotwings
Waspie
clay_in_co
7 posters
AuthorMessage
clay_in_co
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
clay_in_co

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2012-11-25

Quick & free trunk light fix Empty
PostSubject: Quick & free trunk light fix   Quick & free trunk light fix I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2013 10:16 pm

Okay, so when I bought my used SW, the previous owner handed me a little bulb, explaining that it was for the trunk and that he removed it because if the trunk wasn't latched tight it would run the battery down. I have since seen here that it seems to be a common problem.

A couple of months ago, our old small carpet shampooer died and, as I am wont to do, I stripped it of usable parts before disposing of the carcass. One of those parts is a nice, round, black rocker switch that pops right into an 11/16" hole.

The light bulb above my head came on today and I drilled an 11/16" hole in the left-side access panel inside the trunk, down at the bottom so the switch is kind of recessed. Cut right into the wire for the trunk light right there and tied it into the switch.

So now I have a nice manual trunk light switch that I can use for a little peace of mind, assured that the light will actually be off and not drain my battery.

I was going to go to the local junkyard and look for a Honda trunk light with switch to fit in there, but this fix turned out to free and didn't require me to leave the house. Win-win.

Farkle count:
1. Four-way flashers.
2. Fiamm dual-tone horns.
3. Lighter socket in left-hand glovebox.
4. Trunk light switch.

Future farkles:
1. Headlight OFF switch.
2. GPS mount.
3. Buttrest to backrest conversion.
4. Crampbuster/throttle lock/cruise control.
5. Headlight modulator.
6. Bicycle rack?
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Quick & free trunk light fix   Quick & free trunk light fix I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 27, 2013 4:48 am

Mmmmm, another switch. Now what happens when you forget to switch the switch off!!!! Rolling Eyes Laughing

Something else to forget!

Not a cure I feel just another problem! Sad

Hope it works out for you!! Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Quick & free trunk light fix   Quick & free trunk light fix I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 27, 2013 5:51 am

I see in your future "farkles" you plan on having a headlight off switch. Why would you want this?
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Quick & free trunk light fix   Quick & free trunk light fix I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 27, 2013 8:11 am

...and in future a headlight modulator too, why bother if you want the headlight off. As for a Crampbuster/ throttle lock / cruise control gadget they're hardly farkles, more a bit of plastic you carry with you and fit and use when the fancy takes you. Neutral
Back to top Go down
clay_in_co
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
clay_in_co

PostSubject: Re: Quick & free trunk light fix   Quick & free trunk light fix I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 27, 2013 11:28 am

hotwings wrote:
I see in your future "farkles" you plan on having a headlight off switch. Why would you want this?
Meldrew wrote:
...and in future a headlight modulator too, why bother if you want the headlight off. As for a Crampbuster/ throttle lock / cruise control gadget they're hardly farkles, more a bit of plastic you carry with you and fit and use when the fancy takes you. Neutral
Okay, serious, sober thought ensues. (Amidst the creative process?pale)

A headlight switch is something I considered because I have had it on past bikes. But, on further reflection, this one is different, for two main reasons: Fuel injection means no prolonged warm-ups, and (apparently) a better generator than my old Hondas (like the notorious "under-statored" PC and my "haunted" CB400) allowing the bike to idle for a minute or two without running down the battery. (Though I suppose that a low-beam off switch in conjunction with colored strobes in the side-light spaces would be awesome for "parking-lot pimpin'." Rolling Eyes This then, would qualify more as "bling" than "farkle.")

Headlight modulator: I know some are dead set against them. I've had them in the past and to me, personally, they are worth the effort. You probably won't convince me otherwise.

As for some sort of cruise control on that list, I was thinking more of the "function" part of "farkle" and, depending on what type of cruise you use, perhaps fairly permanent and involved.
Back to top Go down
GaryM
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2012-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Quick & free trunk light fix   Quick & free trunk light fix I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 27, 2013 10:01 pm

Great Ideas!

I do agree with Waspie on the trunk light; operator error could be a problem (speaking for myself!). A timed relay which clicked off after a short delay might be a way to do it. Then again can always go with the good old-fashioned flashlight (torch) Laughing I will be interested in your progress with the Future Farkles.

I have been afraid to tinker with my SW at this point as I want to confirm that everything is functioning correctly first. I may get my second ride if the temperature gets to 60F as predicted on Wednesday bounce

Gary M
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

Number of posts : 613
Registration date : 2011-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Quick & free trunk light fix   Quick & free trunk light fix I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2013 4:00 am

GaryM wrote:
A timed relay which clicked off after a short delay might be a way to do it.
Gary M

https://www.silverwing600.com/t4627-interior-light-with-auto-off
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcmodeltalk.co.uk
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Quick & free trunk light fix   Quick & free trunk light fix I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2013 9:53 am

You don't need a headlight off for when your side lights are strobed.
You just need a full-time hot to them with a switch.
Putting your bike into accessory mode with a headlight off switch will allow any other item to drain the battery as well.

There is also a topic on this board about L-ion motorcycle batteries, which are more powerful and lighter than standard. If you are going to get into showing your bling on bike nights a high capacity battery is a good idea.
Back to top Go down
GaryM
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2012-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Quick & free trunk light fix   Quick & free trunk light fix I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2013 12:52 pm

Thank you RArch!

I see I need to pore through the Maintenance section and check out some more of these clever solutions!
Back to top Go down
clay_in_co
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
clay_in_co

PostSubject: Re: Quick & free trunk light fix   Quick & free trunk light fix I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2013 2:48 pm

Waspie wrote:
Mmmmm, another switch. Now what happens when you forget to switch the switch off!!!! Rolling Eyes Laughing

Not nearly as much of a risk for a SWing noob like me. I have never had an "automatic" trunk light, being given the bulb separately. Therefore, I have always had to turn something on manually to see inside the trunk and am used to it. The built-in automatic switch will serve to make a handy backup, which should work quite well as I always make sure the trunk is latched, just as I always check my car doors. In some of the neighborhoods I park in, I would worry more about the battery "walking away" then "running down."

Come to think of it, maybe I should borrow an idea from my car and put a "trunk open" light (and buzzer or bell?) on the dash. Hmmm...
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Quick & free trunk light fix   Quick & free trunk light fix I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2013 2:58 pm

clay_in_co wrote:
Waspie wrote:

Not nearly as much of a risk for a SWing noob like me. I have never had an "automatic" trunk light, being given the bulb separately. Therefore, I have always had to turn something on manually to see inside the trunk and am used to it. The built-in automatic switch will serve to make a handy backup, which should work quite well as I always make sure the trunk is latched, just as I always check my car doors. In some of the neighborhoods I park in, I would worry more about the battery "walking away" then "running down."

Come to think of it, maybe I should borrow an idea from my car and put a "trunk open" light (and buzzer or bell?) on the dash. Hmmm...

You could always manufacture a row of warning lights above the curved display housing the speedo etc. Colour coded.

Red - Oh My god this is serious affraid

Amber/Orange - Not as serious but cause panic! Rolling Eyes

Yellow - Hello, you might like to check me when you dismount! Smile

Had a similar system in aircraft - The Master Caution Panel.

Only Red to me then was - 'Oh My God Were All Going To Die' !!!! Shocked
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Quick & free trunk light fix   Quick & free trunk light fix I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Quick & free trunk light fix
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: Accessories & Modifications-
Jump to: