Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Sinko De Mayo
Silverwing engine change I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 3:33 pm

» May 2024 forum picture
Silverwing engine change I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Yesterday at 10:44 am

» checking the oil
Silverwing engine change I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Silverwing engine change I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Silverwing engine change I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Silverwing engine change I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Silverwing engine change I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Silverwing engine change I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Silverwing engine change I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Silverwing engine change I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Silverwing engine change

Go down 
+6
Mech 1 twa
bikehiker
lloyd193
john grinsel
Cosmic_Jumper
carolina wing rider
10 posters
AuthorMessage
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2018-01-22

Silverwing engine change Empty
PostSubject: Silverwing engine change   Silverwing engine change I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2018 8:51 am

Will any year model Silverwing engine work in any year model Silverwing without modifications? There are a good number of reasonably low mileage engines available right now. As years go by the number of these low mileage engines will surely decline if not disappear. I intend on keeping my bike for the long run.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing engine change   Silverwing engine change I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2018 9:03 am

Yes!

The "differences" are the ECU change in 2008(?) when the O2 sensor was added.
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: engine   Silverwing engine change I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2018 9:07 am

That is GREAT NEWS! Thank you Thank You ! I knew one of you folks would know.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing engine change   Silverwing engine change I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2018 11:07 am

SilverWing engines are/should last for over 100,000 miles Do you ride that much? Why worry. I rode each of my new SilverWings about 50,000 miles, quickly, no engine trouble---WalMart 10-40 oil.
I trade/sell bikes at the 50,000 mile mark---because as the miles roll up, other little things going wrong with bike can be a bother-----for me and anyone else delays on trips can be real expensive---so new bikes/warranty save me that bother.

As years go by, Silverwings will have little used value and surely not worth investing a lot of money to fix and keep on road. Remember last new ones made---2013
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Engine acquire it as an   Silverwing engine change I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2018 11:29 am

John what you say makes perfect sense. I have sold/traded many bikes through the years with less than 50,000 on them but mainly because I just grew tired of them. It will take me a few more years to reach that 100,000 mile mark and by then the "good" engines will be gone. I am always looking at different bikes that appeal to me but until I find something I enjoy riding more than I enjoy my Silverwing I'm keeping it....and will keep it running original engine or not. As far as the resale value goes I don't care how much it depreciates...even if it is only worth $200 because I really enjoy the thing. I didn't acquire it for an investment. If resale value was important I would have bought a 1909 Harley. Thanks for your advice but in this case I respectfully disagree.
Back to top Go down
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

Number of posts : 327
Registration date : 2017-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing engine change   Silverwing engine change I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2018 4:50 pm

carolina wing rider wrote:
John what you say makes perfect sense. I have sold/traded many bikes through the years with less than 50,000 on them but mainly because I just grew tired of them. It will take me a few more years to reach that 100,000 mile mark and by then the "good" engines will be gone. I am always looking at different bikes that appeal to me but until I find something I enjoy riding more than I enjoy my Silverwing I'm keeping it....and will keep it running original engine or not. As far as the resale value goes I don't care how much it depreciates...even if it is only worth $200 because I really enjoy the thing. I didn't acquire it for an investment. If resale value was important I would have bought a 1909 Harley. Thanks for your advice but in this case I respectfully disagree.

Serviced many Silverwing's with more than a Hundred thousand on them, I guess those old bikes or maybe their operators are no longer in service.

The Canadian Commuter's Silverwing had a Hundred Forty thousand last time I saw him.

Happy motoring
Lloyd 193.
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing engine change   Silverwing engine change I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2018 5:07 pm

After experiencing the downright comfort and fun of the Swing, compared to other great bikes, I am stuck. And the benefits are the longevity, reliability, and serviceability, etc. Yes, I have my eyes on a few other tempting Mcycles, but I know I would be disappointed in missing so many features of this two-wheeler. I, too, think I will be keeping this bike for a long time, as long as my stupidity doesn't ruin it for me.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing engine change   Silverwing engine change I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2018 5:24 pm

Better to spend a little extra on regular maint. and hope for the best.

If you buy a good used engine and just let it sit in unheated garage things will start to rust, mainly cylinder walls. You can spray some fogging oil in there but it still needs to be turned over about every 6 months.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing engine change   Silverwing engine change I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2018 3:24 am

Why not buy another Swing (cheaper than getting a spare engine and having a shop replace the bad engine) and alternatively ride each bike. This way you will not have turn over the engine to avoid the cylinders from rusting. Another good reason is that you will have replacement parts to keep one Swing running.

OR

Just keep the spare Swing in storage. No insurance is required. Just need to run bike on center stand so the trans gears get lubed.
My 2¢.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing engine change   Silverwing engine change I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2018 4:43 am

I could pick up another 2010 Silver Wing today from a dealer a few miles from my home. But why would I spend money on a discontinued model when there's lot's of current maxi scooters that would do the job nicely.

They're smaller engined than the Silver Wing, weigh a lot less which is no bad thing as you get older, have the far more fuel efficient Euro 3 or the latest Euro 4 engines, have as much or more storage space, full or partial LED lights, multi function displays that can be linked to cell/mobile phones, traction control, a rear wheel hugger type mudguard, 12v and USB sockets, and proper sump plugs you can easily swap for a magnetic one.

Instead of the expensive trike/training wheels option there's  tilting three wheeled maxi scooters from Piaggio, Peugeot, Yamaha, and Quadro. Another option is the Quadro 4 fitted with two rear wheels.

As battery technology gets more advanced, it's only a matter of time before an electric or hybrid maxi scooters is produced in Korea, Japan, or Taiwan.

So stashing away a spare Silver Wing or engine seems pointless, and without good health and physical strength in the years ahead, the Silver Wing becomes a 550lb lump.
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing engine change   Silverwing engine change I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2018 7:31 am

As a general viewpoint I would agree with the post above by Meldrew (hi bud) particularly with regard to the weight of the Silverwing & ever advancing years, plus that new technologies are being developed all the time which will/should made riding a more economical & enjoyable pastime. But there are some things to be said about old/existing technology, pricipally the ease of maintenance that comes with fewer electronic components, so if an owner is looking to very long term ownership then rather than buying spares that may never be needed, the best advice is ....
Mech 1 twa wrote:
Better to spend a little extra on regular maint.
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: engine   Silverwing engine change I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2018 10:49 am

First of all, I appreciate all of your opinions. In the US the Silverwing is already obsolete as they are not being sold here anymore. That being said the wings will eventually be "vintage" machines with little or no support from the factory (parts). The few folks I know that are in the vintage motorcycle world all do the same thing.......they collect spare parts any and everywhere available while they can still be found at a reasonable price. There will come a time when Silverwing parts will be hard to get and I think looking a little into the future is prudent. If I have major spare parts stored and the years go by I will still "win" even if I don't use them because there will be a better market for them later and I'll probably make a profit on them. To some their Silverwing is a temporary device so having spare parts is not an issue. Others of us intend to keep the machine and will do what it takes to maintain and keep riding it. I do all basic maintenance regularly and when an issue arises of a more serious nature I will deal with it accordingly and that will not involve a stealership. What makes this forum fun is that many of us have different opinions..........and this is mine.
Back to top Go down
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

Number of posts : 327
Registration date : 2017-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing engine change   Silverwing engine change I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2018 11:21 am

carolina wing rider wrote:
Will any year model Silverwing engine work in any year model Silverwing without modifications? There are a good number of reasonably low mileage engines available right now. As years go by the number of these low mileage engines will surely decline if not disappear. I intend on keeping my bike for the long run.

If interested,
I have an 06 S.W. engine for sale, Pick up only Orlando Florida, I do not have time to crate or ship this. $250.00. E mail me @ Lloyd1939@hotmail.com

Also five Reflex Scooters, All need new batteries and fuel system cleaning, All excellent condition, $1,000.00 each pick up only.

Lloyd 193.
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: engine   Silverwing engine change I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2018 12:07 pm

Now THIS is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. At $250 it makes no sense to me not to have another engine standing by for later use or even resale later on. Thank you
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing engine change   Silverwing engine change I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2018 12:20 pm

But as miles pile up engines are not problem in my experience, over 90,000 miles----drive line, belts, clutch, etc major expense.
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: engine   Silverwing engine change I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2018 12:39 pm

John you are exactly right. I guess I am lucky in that I don't have to pay for labor for repairs but as the years click on by (and they click by fast) what good is free labor with no parts? Parts are readily available right now but as I've seen with all other Honda (and others) machines the company will not produce parts forever. I have other bikes besides the Silverwing but it has become my favorite and instead of trying to find and buy another one later I choose to be in a position to keep this one going. My love affair with this scooter may seem ridiculous to some and that is okay but as long as I can I am going to keep this one looking good and performing. Have you ever become attached to a bike? Silly as it might sound...that is where I am with this one. Thank you for your ideas.
Back to top Go down
terrier
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
terrier

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2015-08-12

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing engine change   Silverwing engine change I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2018 3:00 pm

I've been following this thread with interest. I appreciate everyone has their own ideas and reasons for doing things. I also note that most of the forum members are over 60 and some into their 70s and 80s.  The idea of collecting parts to keep for the future may be a waste of time as non of knows, at our ages, if we'll be around to use these parts. I'd agree with others that keeping a machine well maintained while you have it is the best way to go. Quite personally I'd be more in favour of finding spare parts to keep myself going for a few more years if that was possible. My thoughts for what they're worth.
Back to top Go down
carolina wing rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: engine   Silverwing engine change I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2018 3:11 pm

Your thoughts are valuable and appreciated. Thank you terrier.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing engine change   Silverwing engine change I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Silverwing engine change
Page 1 of 1