Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Sinko De Mayo
sidestand or centerstand I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 3:33 pm

» May 2024 forum picture
sidestand or centerstand I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 10:44 am

» checking the oil
sidestand or centerstand I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
sidestand or centerstand I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
sidestand or centerstand I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
sidestand or centerstand I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
sidestand or centerstand I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
sidestand or centerstand I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
sidestand or centerstand I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
sidestand or centerstand I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

sidestand or centerstand

Go down 
+16
exavid
DennisB
vmaximus
gremlin
Cosmic_Jumper
The Scootist
steve_h80
Modernman1953
Meldrew
GHM-PM
Cookie
Mike from NS
john grinsel
oldwingguy
Dale N.
Bluerider3
20 posters
AuthorMessage
Bluerider3
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2017-02-14

sidestand or centerstand Empty
PostSubject: sidestand or centerstand   sidestand or centerstand I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2017 5:39 pm

When parking your wing, which do you usually prefer to use. The sidestand or the centerstand?
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1986
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: sidestand or centerstand   sidestand or centerstand I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2017 5:41 pm

I use the side stand. I use the center stand when changing the belt or doing an oil and filter change. I also set the parking brake each time I park.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: sidestand or centerstand   sidestand or centerstand I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2017 5:54 pm

Sidestand and parking brake most of the time.

Last edited by oldwingguy on Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: sidestand or centerstand   sidestand or centerstand I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2017 6:37 pm

Park in garage on center stand--takes less space. Otherwise use side stand and brake.
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

Number of posts : 462
Registration date : 2013-09-12

PostSubject: Re: sidestand or centerstand   sidestand or centerstand I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2017 6:57 pm

Generally center stand.
Back to top Go down
Cookie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Cookie

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2011-10-03

PostSubject: Re: sidestand or centerstand   sidestand or centerstand I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 01, 2017 3:58 am

john grinsel wrote:
Park in garage on center stand--takes less space.   Otherwise use side stand and brake.

I do exactly the same as John.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2561
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: sidestand or centerstand   sidestand or centerstand I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 01, 2017 7:33 am

Bluerider3, I moved your post into "General Chat" from the "Introduction" section. More appropriate and should have better visibility for you!

BTW I use my center stand most of the time as it seems more stable to me. Is it me or does the sidestand seem a bit short?
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: sidestand or centerstand   sidestand or centerstand I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 01, 2017 7:58 am

This side stand or centre stand topic has been discussed on here at least a couple of times, why do it again?
Back to top Go down
Modernman1953
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 379
Registration date : 2016-06-01

PostSubject: Re: sidestand or centerstand   sidestand or centerstand I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 01, 2017 9:47 am

I always use the side stand unless I am going to do any work on the bike or put a cover on it. Seems easier to put the cover on when on the center stand.

Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: sidestand or centerstand   sidestand or centerstand I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 01, 2017 2:48 pm

Usually side or centre stand... but I have used the ground and once a pile of cardboard boxes. Neither of which I can recommend :-(
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: sidestand or centerstand   sidestand or centerstand I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 01, 2017 4:21 pm

I always use the center stand. One time I accidentally used the ground and was not at all pleased with the result...
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: sidestand or centerstand   sidestand or centerstand I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 01, 2017 4:59 pm

Meldrew wrote:
This side stand or centre stand topic has been discussed on here at least a couple of times, why do it again?

Possibly you"ve lost track of the fact that our membership has had an influx of new folks in the last year or so. While at the same time some of our "high mileage" members may be experiencing an early onset of a "disintegration of the persistence of memory" and need reassurance that they are doing things right.

Just remember that birthdays can lead to memory loss, or even worse, memory loss.

Tim

Last edited by Cosmic_Jumper on Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:13 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Deleted image)
Back to top Go down
gremlin
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
gremlin

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2015-04-09

PostSubject: Re: sidestand or centerstand   sidestand or centerstand I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 01, 2017 5:27 pm

On the Honda Silverwing I prefer to use the centre stand, even though the side stand is quite stable. My Aprilia Scarabeo on the side stand only needs a bit of un-level ground or a slight nudge and it will fall over.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: sidestand or centerstand   sidestand or centerstand I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 01, 2017 5:40 pm

I haven't lost track of anything, except occasionally my specs. There maybe an influx of new folks but they just don't join on a whim, they usually lurk on the forum first and anyone buying a Silver Wing isn't a complete novice on two wheels anyway.

As I mentioned earlier the side stand or centre stand topic has been covered before, so has the easiest method of hauling the Silver Wing on and off the centre stand, whether you use a puck or similar item when using the side stand on soft ground, using the parking brake, even the pro's and cons of disabling the side stand ignition cut off safety switch has been covered.

Now all these topics haven't disappeared off the forum and a quick Search usually finds this information and much more that's useful to a new owner, all they have to do is look.
Back to top Go down
vmaximus
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Sidestand or centrestand   sidestand or centerstand I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 01, 2017 6:40 pm

Don't be such a Mardy Bum Meldrew it is a forum you know and people ask questions or ask for advice that's the nature of a forum, yes there is the search facility and there are very little subjects that have not been asked and answered before perhaps too many times by the members here but it should not deter people from asking. I have used the search before and sometimes you do not always get the information you require. If you feel a question has been asked too many times why continue to read the topic, just don't contribute. Pud.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: sidestand or centerstand   sidestand or centerstand I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 01, 2017 7:54 pm

Owned a couple of old Harley-Davidsons. Spent most of the time working on them. In all of the old H-D repair manuals the Side Stand was always referenced as the Jiffy Stand.  Smile

Just another piece of worthless knowledge from the past.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: sidestand or centerstand   sidestand or centerstand I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 01, 2017 10:50 pm

Sorry Meldrew but I gotta do it. Wink I use the side stand whenever the bike isn't home in the garage then it's on the center stand mainly for the same John does, it takes up less room. Also our old cat doesn't like it when the seat is tilted when he naps on it. It was even more important than putting the Goldwings in the garage. Those bikes take up a whole car space on the side stand.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: sidestand or centerstand   sidestand or centerstand I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 02, 2017 4:32 am

Personally I think it's bad form and selfish to use the side stand parking in a bay or shed if your bike/maxi is fitted with a centre stand, as parking on the side stand takes up more space and make it harder for other riders to get in or out, over even get parked at all.

Since I've been outed as a 'Mardy Bum' which will be meaningless to anyone not living in the East Midlands, I'll play along.  I use the centre stand always, the side stand is only used when stepping onto and off the Silver Wing. Occasionally I may have use it on soft ground where the centre stand would dig in, and I carry a side stand plate/puck specifically for that purpose.

That's not what I'd call useful information to anyone, that's pretty much what I've done since I started riding. It's a bit like a cycle forum starting a topic about how you park your pushbike? On it's stand if it has one fitted, prop it against a wall, in a cycle bay, drop it on it's side like school kids outside a sweet shop etc.  Smile

Plus it's fair to say if you're using the side stand exclusively because it's too much physically to lift your Silver Wing onto the main stand, you've chosen the wrong maxi scooter.

Last edited by Meldrew on Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: sidestand or centerstand   sidestand or centerstand I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 02, 2017 4:42 am

I am with Meldrew. As this issue has been commented on many times I was not going to comment,but, as Meldrew says parking with side stand means bike is tilted at an angle and if someone parks next to your mirrors usually get knocked out of focus . I always park on centre stand and use side stand for dismounting only. I know bike is heavy but it is safer on centre stand.
Back to top Go down
DonH
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2013-10-12

PostSubject: Re: sidestand or centerstand   sidestand or centerstand I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 02, 2017 8:25 am

OK, Meldrew, start a discussion topic on the Silverwing that has NEVER been discussed before.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: sidestand or centerstand   sidestand or centerstand I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 02, 2017 8:51 am

Loving it the fact this is being recussed Smile means winter is about over Smile But unless space is an issue on the sidestand is the most stable, parking brake on = tripod. The puck is a given, even poor asphalt with let the sidestand sink in.
Back to top Go down
vmaximus
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: sidestand or centerstand   sidestand or centerstand I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 02, 2017 8:58 am

I'me with you on this one DonH, but I think it will be pretty difficult . Pud.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: sidestand or centerstand   sidestand or centerstand I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 02, 2017 11:59 am

oldwingguy wrote:
Loving it the fact this is being recussed  Smile means winter is about  over Smile But unless space is an issue on the sidestand is the most stable, parking brake on = tripod.  The puck is a given, even poor asphalt with let the sidestand sink in.

Is side stand really the most stable? Over the years I've used ferries where the vast majority of bikes are parked up and secured on their side stands, three points of contact and all that. I've also heard from fellow travellers about bikes toppling over on rough crossings and taking other bikes with them like dominoes.

Needless to say I never use the side stand on ferries, always the centre stand. For years I've carried a zip pouch with a selection of tie down and ratchet straps, strap pads, seat pad, carabiners, handle bar strap, front brake strap etc. I don't always use this kit but it means it's there if I need to use it, some ships only supply lengths of rope.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: sidestand or centerstand   sidestand or centerstand I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 02, 2017 12:07 pm

DonH wrote:
OK, Meldrew, start a discussion topic on the Silverwing that has NEVER been discussed before.

Would you like me to start a discussion topic relevant to UK Silver Wing riders only, or to include US members too? Because what we're legally allowed to do to our maxi scooters without failing the MOT and invalidating our insurance is totally different to what goes on over the Pond.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: sidestand or centerstand   sidestand or centerstand I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 02, 2017 12:11 pm

That would probably be better than a discussion of what brand of tire to use, whether car or bike tire, and whether to use synthetic or petroleum oil. Sleep
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: sidestand or centerstand   sidestand or centerstand I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 02, 2017 4:31 pm

scratch I wonder what the relative mertis of using full synthetic, blended synthetic, or petroleum base motor oil might be in Mr Grinsel's "Oily Rag #2 Treatment" hypothesis? And would that be a cotton, polyester or microfiber oily rag?
Back to top Go down
Bluerider3
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: sidestand or centerstand   sidestand or centerstand I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 02, 2017 5:05 pm

Dang, somebody likes to stir the pot!
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: sidestand or centerstand   sidestand or centerstand I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 02, 2017 5:16 pm

It might be that wiping the windshield with an oily (petroleum synthetic blend) rag (at least 50% Pim Cotton) applied with counterclockwise strokes (if the bike is facing within 85 degrees of true north, clockwise otherwise). One of the more beneficial aspects of this treatment is that insects, other than beetles and earthworms, will simply slide off the windshield leaving only a slight smear of guts and other parts. The lesser aspect of this treatment is that the windshield will become opaque in dusty conditions in which case one should ride standing up until a safe place to stop avails itself wherein the rider may use a solvent such as MEK to remove the dirt, bugs and windshield. This of course will require said rider to maintain at least one spare windshield, carried on the applicable vehicle to replace the one dissolved by the MEK.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: sidestand or centerstand   sidestand or centerstand I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 02, 2017 5:22 pm

What's your next topic going to be, do you prefer to put your left boot on first or the right, or do you wear bigger boots to save on wear?
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: sidestand or centerstand   sidestand or centerstand I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 02, 2017 5:32 pm

Meldrew wrote:
What's your next topic going to be, do you prefer to put your left boot on first or the right, or do you wear bigger boots to save on wear?

Yes I do
Back to top Go down
vmaximus
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: sidestand or centerstand   sidestand or centerstand I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 02, 2017 5:52 pm

Getting a bit daft now, everyone knows that you put your right boot on first and wear bigger boots with two pairs of socks. Pud.
Back to top Go down
Bluerider3
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: sidestand or centerstand   sidestand or centerstand I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 02, 2017 5:58 pm

In the military we put on our boots the same way we marched, always the left foot first. And our boots needed to be snug so as not to slide around on you feet and give you blisters. My snug fit is a US size 12 or UK size 43-44.
Back to top Go down
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2010-03-03

PostSubject: sidestand or centerstand Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:39 pm    sidestand or centerstand I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 02, 2017 7:40 pm

Center stand,Side stand,oily rag good riding weather can not arrive soon enough. Howard
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestsuburbanscooterclub.com/
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: sidestand or centerstand   sidestand or centerstand I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 03, 2017 1:49 am

This cabin fever getting to you?
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: sidestand or centerstand   sidestand or centerstand I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 03, 2017 3:15 am

When I first started riding my Swing in 2012, I always used the center stand. Then after reading a post similar to this one, I started using the side stand. I park my Swing about four feet directly in front of my front door. The center stand kept marring the concrete. I started using a sheet of plywood to avoid marking up the concrete. This required me to have to lift the Swing higher to get it up on the center stand. Then when I read about the merits of the side stand, I started using the side stand everywhere. I glued a round plywood puck to the concrete and always position the side stand over the puck. I still use the center stand for washing, repairing, or regular maintenance.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: sidestand or centerstand   sidestand or centerstand I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

sidestand or centerstand
Page 1 of 1