Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Tire Wear (Rear) I_icon_minitimeby ButlerZoie Today at 9:21 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Tire Wear (Rear) I_icon_minitimeby Kunamika Hopper Today at 2:47 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to progreso, and could use some advice
Tire Wear (Rear) I_icon_minitimeby Kunamika Hopper Today at 2:27 am

» LF extended back rest
Tire Wear (Rear) I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Today at 1:54 am

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Tire Wear (Rear) I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:54 pm

» Drive belt prices
Tire Wear (Rear) I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 10:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Tire Wear (Rear) I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 2:15 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Tire Wear (Rear) I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 12:27 am

» New to Me Swing
Tire Wear (Rear) I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:39 pm

» I said Farewell...
Tire Wear (Rear) I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:12 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Tire Wear (Rear)

Go down 
+6
bandito2
steve_h80
Meldrew
Mr Blobby
john grinsel
Tom G
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Tom G
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Tom G

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2011-09-10

Tire Wear (Rear) Empty
PostSubject: Tire Wear (Rear)   Tire Wear (Rear) I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 05, 2016 9:31 am

I ride a 2013 Silver Wing, and just wanted to report the mileage usage for several tires I have used:

First rear tire, and the one that came with the scooter was an IRA (Model forgotten). I got 10,498 miles of use from this tire.

2nd rear tire was a Michelin City Grip. I got 9,040 miles of use from this one.

3rd rear tire was a Michelin Power Pure SC. I got only 5,726 miles of wear before the wear bars were level with the remaining tread.

4th rear tire just installed yesterday (11/4/16) was a Michelin City Grip.

No comments other than I was very disappointed with the Michelin Power Pure SC tires.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Tire Wear (Rear) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tire Wear (Rear)   Tire Wear (Rear) I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 05, 2016 10:44 am

Funny on Michelin Power Pure SC---recall I have had 2 on rear of my 2013, each going a little over 10,000. AND they wore round. Current IRC, front & rear, just as manual recommends, happy with their performance.
Back to top Go down
Mr Blobby
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Mr Blobby

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2016-09-23

Tire Wear (Rear) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tire Wear (Rear)   Tire Wear (Rear) I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 05, 2016 11:38 am

Hiya

I am surprised to hear about the poor mileage record for the Power Pure. I have had good mileage from these tyres, they don't seem to get as flat as some of the others.
Currently have a Hoop on the rear and at 5600 miles its as flat as a pancake. Got a new Pure in the wings to be fitted over the next few weeks.
I did ask the mechanic about his experience on tyres used on the Silverwing and his comment was the rear tyre goes round much faster so it wears out quicker. Mmmm. Might take that as a tongue in cheek comment. Shocked

Mr Blobby
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Tire Wear (Rear) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tire Wear (Rear)   Tire Wear (Rear) I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 05, 2016 12:48 pm

Obviously rear tyre wear is different for everyone, factoring in the compound of your chosen tyre (sports, all season, winter, etc) The wear rate due to the abrasiveness of the road surfaces you spend the majority of your time riding on, how much of a throttle jockey you are, and whether you regularly check the tyre pressures to see if you're riding on under or over inflated tyres.

It really isn't worth worrying about as it's only the two hand palm sized rubber contact patches that's keeping you adhered to the road. Rider 'A' saying he gets 9000 miles from his rear "Michestone Power Snoop" is no guarantee Rider 'B' will also get 9000 miles if he chooses that tyre.
Back to top Go down
Tom G
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Tom G

Tire Wear (Rear) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tire Wear (Rear)   Tire Wear (Rear) I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 05, 2016 2:25 pm

Meldrew wrote:
Obviously rear tyre wear is different for everyone, factoring in the compound of your chosen tyre (sports, all season, winter, etc) The wear rate due to the abrasiveness of the road surfaces you spend the majority of your time riding on, how much of a throttle jockey you are, and whether you regularly check the tyre pressures to see if you're riding on under or over inflated tyres.

It really isn't worth worrying about as it's only the two hand palm sized rubber contact patches that's keeping you adhered to the road. Rider 'A' saying he gets 9000 miles from his rear "Michestone Power Snoop" is no guarantee Rider 'B' will also get 9000 miles if he chooses that tyre.

Answered like a True Yorkshireman, Meldrew. I was just passing along some information others might (I said "Might") find useful. Of course you are correct; and most of us are aware of the variable factors affecting tire wear.

Further information, I weigh 250 pounds (almost 18 Stone) and I'm not a "Throttle Jockey". I keep my tires inflated to the manuals specifications, plus maybe 2 to 4 pounds greater. We have very good riding surfaces in Florida, unlike the cracked & pot-holed roads in the snow country. Florida is also extremely "Flat" thus causing the center strip to wear faster than the sides.

And, in spite of the "excess baggage" I ride with, you will be happy to know that I am not "Worrying",

Back to top Go down
Tom G
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Tom G

Tire Wear (Rear) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tire Wear (Rear)   Tire Wear (Rear) I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 05, 2016 2:29 pm

john grinsel wrote:
Funny on Michelin Power Pure SC---recall I have had 2 on rear of my 2013, each going a little over 10,000.  AND they wore round.  Current IRC, front & rear, just as manual recommends, happy with their performance.

Good for you, John, on the SC's. I replaced my rear SC with a Michelin City Grip which I'm hoping for better wear.

And, I keep thinking maybe I should go back to IRC's
Back to top Go down
Tom G
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Tom G

Tire Wear (Rear) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tire Wear (Rear)   Tire Wear (Rear) I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 05, 2016 2:34 pm

Mr Blobby wrote:
Hiya

I am surprised to hear about the poor mileage record for the Power Pure. I have had good mileage from these tyres, they don't seem to get as flat as some of the others.
Currently have a Hoop on the rear and at 5600 miles its as flat as a pancake. Got a new Pure in the wings to be fitted over the next few weeks.
I did ask the mechanic about his experience on tyres used on the Silverwing and his comment was the rear tyre goes round much faster so it wears out quicker. Mmmm. Might take that as a tongue in cheek comment.   Shocked

Mr Blobby

Glad to hear of your success with the SC's Mr. Blobby; I suspect your roads are a bit more "curvy" that ours her in Florida. Yes, the wear on my rear SC was in the center.

Conversely to your mechanic's speculation about tire size, I suspect that the front tire last longer because it goes around a bit slower than the rear Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Mr Blobby
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Mr Blobby

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2016-09-23

Tire Wear (Rear) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tire Wear (Rear)   Tire Wear (Rear) I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 05, 2016 3:28 pm

Hiya

Your logical thinking Tom G is spot on. I therefore expect users of a penny farthing get at least 150,000 miles per front tyre and 250 on the rear. Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

Tire Wear (Rear) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tire Wear (Rear)   Tire Wear (Rear) I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 05, 2016 5:28 pm

But the mechanic does have a point, even if he didnt mean it.
The smaller wheel on a sw compared to a 17" wheel on a motorcycle means the wheel has a shorted circumference (pie D if I remember rightly) therefore for every mile ridden any given point on the tyre hits the road more.
Everything else been equal a scooter tyre will last about 2/3rds the distance of a motorcycle tyre. I can't be bothered to do the maths so the 2/3rds bit is an approximate.
Anyway that's my excuse..
Back to top Go down
bandito2
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2010-04-04

Tire Wear (Rear) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tire Wear (Rear)   Tire Wear (Rear) I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 05, 2016 6:10 pm

Mr Blobby wrote:
Hiya

I did ask the mechanic about his experience on tyres used on the Silverwing and his comment was the rear tyre goes round much faster so it wears out quicker. Mmmm. Might take that as a tongue in cheek comment.   Shocked

Mr Blobby

Typically the circumference of the front tire is larger than the rear tire and so the rear tire having a smaller circumference will rotate more times than the front while covering the same distance; thus, the rear wheel spins faster (= more rotations over the same distance) than the front wheel. Nothing tongue in cheek about it.

Also, there is typically less rolling resistance from a larger diameter tire as well.  Front tires are freewheeling and don't experience the strain of acceleration like the rear tire does and typically carry less weight on them than the rear tire does. It really is no mystery as to why the rear tire wears out faster than the front tire. And just to to negate some about the notion of the effect of the front taking a larger percentage of the stopping power, it should be taken into consideration that the rear tire takes up a lot of speed reduction through engine braking before and while the brakes are applied. (or even if the brakes are not applied when slowing/coasting down to a lower speed)

Last edited by bandito2 on Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Tire Wear (Rear) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tire Wear (Rear)   Tire Wear (Rear) I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 05, 2016 11:09 pm

tire wear---Michelin Power Pure SC---reading from sidewall of tire---33psi max load capacity---I kept mine inflated to 33 even thought my machine is loaded on trips, but not exceeding machine's max load rating.

So, I think overinflation may, decrease thread life as well as making ride harder.
Of course underinflation probably decreases thread life as well as making tire run hotter.

Start of this post mentions Michelin City Grip---Are they even made in correct rear size for SilverWing?
Back to top Go down
bandito2
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2010-04-04

Tire Wear (Rear) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tire Wear (Rear)   Tire Wear (Rear) I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2016 3:31 am

john grinsel wrote:

tire wear---Michelin Power Pure SC---reading from sidewall of tire---33psi max load capacity---I kept mine inflated to 33 even thought my machine is loaded on trips, but not exceeding machine's max load rating.

So, I think overinflation may, decrease thread life as well as making ride harder.
Of course underinflation probably decreases thread life as well as making tire run hotter.

Start of this post mentions Michelin City Grip---Are they even made in correct rear size for SilverWing?

A quick Google search produced this:
https://www.amazon.com/Michelin-City-Grip-Rear-Tire/dp/B00AQE4Y20

I too think you are right about over/underinflation not being good for tread life.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Tire Wear (Rear) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tire Wear (Rear)   Tire Wear (Rear) I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2016 11:06 am

City Grip is not made for SilverWing-----notice P speed rating. S is proper speed rating for SilverWing. Doing own tire work, read side of tire for speed load rating details. Bike shops often don't know or care on proper tire.-----and in US the workers drive trucks to work...not bikes.
Back to top Go down
Cookie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Cookie

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2011-10-03

Tire Wear (Rear) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tire Wear (Rear)   Tire Wear (Rear) I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2016 1:55 pm

Michelin do make the City Grip in the right size for the rear wheel of the Silverwing but not for the front (not last time I looked anyway). The rear CityGrip is the correct S speed rating (I've just been out to check my old one).

I had one on the rear of my Silverwing. I liked it, it didn't seem to square off like other tyres do.
It lasted 13,000 miles. I've just replaced it. I went with Bridgestone Hoops this time mainly because I got a pair for a very good price!
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

Tire Wear (Rear) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tire Wear (Rear)   Tire Wear (Rear) I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2016 7:29 pm

I don't know how you do it Cookie. Never got more than 8,000mls out of a rear tyre ( that's to the 2mm mark) I've had hoops, Diablo and Metzeller. Just due to replace the front tyre at 22,000mls again, never get more than 11,000mls out of a front tyre. Maybe my roads are not as well surfaced as yours. Worst tyre was Diablo just over 5,000mls on a rear. I stick with Hoops now. Sad
Back to top Go down
Cookie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Cookie

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2011-10-03

Tire Wear (Rear) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tire Wear (Rear)   Tire Wear (Rear) I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2016 9:21 am

Hi Old Limey,
I have never heard the roads around Essex described as well surfaced! The council reclassified what constitutes a pothole as a hole over 1 inch deep to a hole over 2 inches deep - at the stroke of a pen by some clerk in an office they reduced the number of official potholes by about half without having to do a thing!

My tyres and brakes seem to last well probably because I don't accelerate or brake hard. I like to roll the bike up to speed and I always come off the throttle well before I need to stop or slow down.
Not to most peoples liking I agree but it suits me and in the traffic around here it makes little difference to how long it takes to get anywhere.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3794
Registration date : 2009-06-29

Tire Wear (Rear) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tire Wear (Rear)   Tire Wear (Rear) I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2016 12:22 pm

Cookie wrote:

My tyres and brakes seem to last well probably because I don't accelerate or brake hard. I like to roll the bike up to speed and I always come off the throttle well before I need to stop or slow down.
Not to most peoples liking I agree but it suits me and in the traffic around here it makes little difference to how long it takes to get anywhere.

Same here; 'anticipation' is a good thing and tested to a degree in the 'Hazard Perception' element  in the driving Test.

I think it features in the IAM Advanced Driver/Rider Training and Tests, too.
Back to top Go down
SlvrwngTraveler
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
SlvrwngTraveler

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2017-11-04

Tire Wear (Rear) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tire Wear (Rear)   Tire Wear (Rear) I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2018 10:32 pm

About to get rid of rear Power Pure and replace it with City Grip. After reading all these reviews from Cookie & Tom G I'm hoping for better feel/grip and mileage. After 9K Power Pure's did not impressed me at all. Rear tire had uneven center wear (not sure why), front is still holding. Any updates on City Grip longevity and overall performance?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Tire Wear (Rear) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tire Wear (Rear)   Tire Wear (Rear) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tire Wear (Rear)
Page 1 of 1