Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Ignition wires to which plug?
Locking gas cap I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Yesterday at 6:39 pm

» noise under load
Locking gas cap I_icon_minitimeby COMick Yesterday at 6:04 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
Locking gas cap I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
Locking gas cap I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» LF extended back rest
Locking gas cap I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Mon May 13, 2024 7:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
Locking gas cap I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» checking the oil
Locking gas cap I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Mon May 13, 2024 10:11 am

» Left brake micro-switch
Locking gas cap I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Locking gas cap I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
Locking gas cap I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Locking gas cap

Go down 
+8
bigbird
Meldrew
sctr199
trouble1100
Silver Dave K
hotwings
Cosmic_Jumper
NWSSC
12 posters
AuthorMessage
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2010-03-03

Locking gas cap Empty
PostSubject: Locking gas cap   Locking gas cap I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2014 3:19 pm

My two cents worth about the S/W locking gas cap.
After taking a few 3k-4k mile trips each summer I got tired of on locking and locking the gas cap and made it a non locking cap.Remove the two screws on the bottom and remove the metal cylinder. Slide out the dog(locking device)and replace the cylinder.It is now converted to non locking cap and can be converted back again easily.I carry the part in one of the glove boxes. Howard
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestsuburbanscooterclub.com/
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Locking gas cap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Locking gas cap   Locking gas cap I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2014 4:43 pm

FWIW, Helix and Elite gas caps are non-locking and fit perfectly.
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

Locking gas cap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Locking gas cap   Locking gas cap I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2014 7:47 pm

Thanks for the tip Howard. Will probably do the same.
Back to top Go down
Silver Dave K
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2014-06-12

Locking gas cap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Locking gas cap   Locking gas cap I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2014 9:12 pm

I was getting tired of that gas cap!!!!!!
Thanks Dave
Back to top Go down
trouble1100
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
trouble1100

Number of posts : 341
Registration date : 2010-04-30

Locking gas cap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Locking gas cap   Locking gas cap I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2014 10:26 pm

Not many pieces and parts to deal with ......
Locking gas cap Img_0811
Back to top Go down

Locking gas cap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Locking gas cap   Locking gas cap I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 04, 2014 4:16 pm

All three of my scooters have locking gas caps, largest tank size ~4 gal.

Neither of my cars does, smallest tank size ~13 gal.

What a world!
Back to top Go down
Silver Dave K
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2014-06-12

Locking gas cap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Locking gas cap   Locking gas cap I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 04, 2014 5:14 pm

swing Mine no longer has a locking gas cap....

Thanks
Back to top Go down
sctr199
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
sctr199

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2013-07-29

Locking gas cap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Locking gas cap   Locking gas cap I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 6:02 pm

Using a Helix cap on mine.
Back to top Go down
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

Locking gas cap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Locking gas cap   Locking gas cap I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 9:01 pm

Why use a different cap.Even if you have it or get it for nothing, remember the S/W cap is not vented and you have to use a non vented cap as a replacement.Save your money.   Howard
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Locking gas cap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Locking gas cap   Locking gas cap I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 9:57 pm

Howard, Don't take this personally, but does it really make a rat's *ss of a difference whether your gas cap is vented or not? After all, the Evap emissions system is passive, and unless your local emissions police are sniffing away at your tail pipe then who cares?

Tim

YMMV. Need not be present to win. Offer may not apply in California
Back to top Go down
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

Locking gas cap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Locking gas cap   Locking gas cap I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 10:56 pm

Tim,I think you missed my point,you do not have to replace the gas cap.Second vented or not the gas cap will not change what is coming out of the tail pipe.Most engines, stationary or mobile with carburetors will have a vented cap,usually back to the intake system.Most fuel injection systems will have a non vented cap (i.e.S/W) and will draw back to a system and into the intake process.The real purpose of all this is to minimize evaporation(it amounts to thousands of gal.) to the atmosphere.This is why most gas pumps now have a system to return the fumes back to the holding tanks.It is not just the economy but we are at a ten year low on importing oil and I am aware that we are producing more oil here.The wrest case scenario on gas caps,the wrong cap can collapses the tank. I've seen this many times. Howard
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Locking gas cap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Locking gas cap   Locking gas cap I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 1:45 am

How can you get tired unlocking and locking the gas cap? It only takes a few seconds to do, it's hardly strength sapping and you'd use the time saved by removing the lock to do what exactly?  

I bet no one gets tired unlocking and locking the doors, windows, and garages in their homes or has removed the locks altogether to relieve themselves that tiresome task.  

When I fill up two or three times a day on tour I usually have to remove and refit a tunnel bag as well as a gas/filler cap and that only takes seconds too. I didn't even think about it until now.

This topic reminds me of that one a while ago about disabling the side stand cut out switch, that was also too much bother for some.   Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Locking gas cap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Locking gas cap   Locking gas cap I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 9:59 am

Howard: Thanks for your explanation. However I thought that the fuel tank vented into the Evap canister and then to the atmosphere via those two little hoses exiting the canister at the bottom of the scoot. I guess that I'll have to review my FSM regarding that stuff.

Meldrew: While I understand your point, never the less I still find it very annoying to remove the key from the ignition, unlock the gas cap...re-lock the gas cap and return the key to the ignition. In my personal experience all those additional steps amount to a genuine PITA

Thanks for your comments guys

Tim
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Locking gas cap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Locking gas cap   Locking gas cap I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 11:54 am

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
Meldrew: While I understand your point, never the less I still find it very annoying to remove the key from the ignition, unlock the gas cap...re-lock the gas cap and return the key to the ignition. In my personal experience all those additional steps amount to a genuine PITA.

I had to do the same procedure with my previous car just like the tens of thousands of other owners of the same model, it wasn't annoying or a PITA it was simply filling the tank.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Locking gas cap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Locking gas cap   Locking gas cap I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 12:14 pm

Meldrew wrote:
How can you get tired unlocking and locking the gas cap? It only takes a few seconds to do, it's hardly strength sapping and you'd use the time saved by removing the lock to do what exactly?  

This topic reminds me of that one a while ago about disabling the side stand cut out switch, that was also too much bother for some.   Rolling Eyes

Both good points, Meldrew.

I'm not sure either why one would not want a locking gas cap.
As for the side stand cutout switch, I thought the value of warming a cold engine while on the side stand would outweigh the protection of riding away with a lowered side stand. Safety trumped convenience for me.

Last edited by bigbird on Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2009-06-29

Locking gas cap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Locking gas cap   Locking gas cap I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 1:43 pm

If I recall correctly a thread was started earlier in the year by a member who thought something had been added to his petrol-tank without his knowledge, causing problems.

Whilst not worrying too much that petrol could be siphoned out of the tank - could be difficult because of the baffle at the top - I am concerned about sugar or some other foreign material being added for a laugh. Of course, this can't happen if the cap is locked on. Wink 
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Locking gas cap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Locking gas cap   Locking gas cap I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 3:10 pm

Good point, Mike. Having had long term subscription to "Scootering" magazine I've noticed that you folks in the UK seem to have a bit of a problem with nefarious miscreants & scooters.

However here in the US scooters aren't taken seriously, and being in the leafy suburbs mine is garage kept. I wouldn't be at all comfortable if it were street-parked in an urban area though.

Tim
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Locking gas cap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Locking gas cap   Locking gas cap I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2015 11:00 pm

Perhaps it's the Oath Keepers and NRA stickers on the back of my Jeep and bikes keep people looking for a softer target.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Locking gas cap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Locking gas cap   Locking gas cap I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2015 5:17 am

exavid wrote:
Perhaps it's the Oath Keepers and NRA stickers on the back of my Jeep and bikes keep people looking for a softer target.

Perhaps it's more to do with the fact that urinating into the unlocked fuel tank of a K series BMW motorcycle is more difficult than doing it into the unlocked fuel tank of a maxi scooter.

You'd need stand back and get the elevation right and then fire for effect, and you'd still leave a tell tale mess. You could stand on the foot pegs and fire a a salvo straight into the tank, but then there's embarrassing and incriminating splash back onto the clothing of the jolly prankster.

It's an interesting design that Oath Keepers sticker you mentioned , it looks to me as if it's been deliberately designed to look like a Ranger tab.
Back to top Go down
AldusFran
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 204
Registration date : 2015-06-13

Locking gas cap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Locking gas cap   Locking gas cap I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2015 11:12 am

Thanks Howard, now my gas cap is non-locking. Very easy to do.
Back to top Go down
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

Locking gas cap Empty
PostSubject: Locking gas cap    Locking gas cap I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2015 12:22 pm

No problem,glad to be of service. Howard
Back to top Go down
DerrillW
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
DerrillW

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2013-09-28

Locking gas cap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Locking gas cap   Locking gas cap I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 03, 2015 6:13 pm

I think the best thing to do is toss the pesky gas cap under the seat. That solves all the PITA problems and shortens the refueling time.Laughing  (Surely nobody will take this seriously.)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Locking gas cap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Locking gas cap   Locking gas cap I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Locking gas cap
Page 1 of 1