Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Ever wish you could stand up? I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Today at 5:15 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Ever wish you could stand up? I_icon_minitimeby ButlerZoie Today at 4:21 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Ever wish you could stand up? I_icon_minitimeby Kunamika Hopper Yesterday at 9:47 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to progreso, and could use some advice
Ever wish you could stand up? I_icon_minitimeby Kunamika Hopper Yesterday at 9:27 pm

» LF extended back rest
Ever wish you could stand up? I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Yesterday at 8:54 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Ever wish you could stand up? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 12:54 pm

» Drive belt prices
Ever wish you could stand up? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Ever wish you could stand up? I_icon_minitimeby landisr Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:15 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Ever wish you could stand up? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
Ever wish you could stand up? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:39 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Ever wish you could stand up?

Go down 
+5
Meldrew
trouble1100
GHM-PM
oldgwingguy
ridr44
9 posters
AuthorMessage
ridr44
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2010-06-04

Ever wish you could stand up? Empty
PostSubject: Ever wish you could stand up?   Ever wish you could stand up? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2015 5:55 pm

Sometimes I wish I had a set of pegs just behind the rear of the foot rest. Actually, I see one on the picture at the top of this page!!! Anyone know more about it? Thanks...Dan
Back to top Go down
oldgwingguy
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2015-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Ever wish you could stand up?   Ever wish you could stand up? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2015 6:20 pm

Just the fold away passenger pegs. Not sure if I want to stand up on the S'Wing.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Ever wish you could stand up?   Ever wish you could stand up? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2015 9:46 pm

I stand up for considerable distances on the Goldwing as I did on my KLR. Both of them have/had near perfect geometry for me (at least) to stand up "on the pegs". With a less than great back this really helps to change position. The Silver Wing is a different story, does not work at all for me at least...
Back to top Go down
trouble1100
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
trouble1100

Number of posts : 341
Registration date : 2010-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Ever wish you could stand up?   Ever wish you could stand up? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2015 9:52 pm

I've always favored the standard riding position. Being able to use the foot pegs to stand up on over rough areas and keeping the arms in a neutral position is very comfortable for me. Long distance travel is less tiring. It really all comes down to personal choice and preference but in the end my neck, back and wrists are a lot less stressed while not being stuck riding in the lithotomy position.
Back to top Go down
oldgwingguy
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Ever wish you could stand up?   Ever wish you could stand up? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2015 10:01 pm

Yes on the G'Wing and standing to stretch, and to clean the snow off the wind screen.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Ever wish you could stand up?   Ever wish you could stand up? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2015 2:34 am

The feet forward riding position is one of the reasons I prefer maxi scooters. I had a Utopia backrest fitted to my Helix but on none of the others since. I've rarely used my Airhawk cushion since my Burgman 400 days, the last time I toured on the Silver Wing with it I used it once and packed it away.

I can easily stretch my legs, raise one or both butt cheeks off the seat, and I can't think of a single reason at all when I'd need to stand up or a use for foot pegs/foot rests.

I always found it amusing reading posts about fitting highway pegs to a Silver Wing for a pseudo cruiser riding position, now this.  Smile

Last edited by Meldrew on Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:24 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Ever wish you could stand up?   Ever wish you could stand up? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2015 5:20 am

Maybe they should get a chariot eh Meldrew!! Smile
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178

PostSubject: Re: Ever wish you could stand up?   Ever wish you could stand up? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2015 6:03 am

Old Limey wrote:
Maybe they should get a chariot eh Meldrew!! Smile

We all have a very fine maxi scooter that is very capable of transporting it's rider hundreds of miles a day in all weathers in comfort. All the shortcomings of the earlier models were sorted long ago, and there's plenty of accessories available to personalise it.

It isn't a Gold Wing, cruiser, sports bike, trail bike, adventure bike, or a two wheeled car. Yet all the time we read posts about owners wishing it was, or trying to make it into something else.
Back to top Go down
oldgwingguy
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Ever wish you could stand up?   Ever wish you could stand up? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2015 8:03 am

Yet all the time we read posts about owners wishing it was, or trying to make it into something else.<<<>> man's attempt to make something good better it's been going on for a long time Smile at least the attempt will be made to satisfy the one making it successful or not.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Ever wish you could stand up?   Ever wish you could stand up? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2015 8:36 am

This was NOT intended as an attack on the Silver Wing, DOH. Merely taking advantage of something available that works for ME. I am not selling the SWing because I can't stand up on the pegs! It is a shame that any time some other bike or feature is mentioned here that someone gets offended and sounds off! I love my Silver Wing but I cannot do 500+ mile days on it as I can on some other bike I own; 300-400 is tops, but again that is for me so don't get offended! Chill out and lets learn new things guys!!! Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
ridr44
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2010-06-04

PostSubject: Re: Ever wish you could stand up?   Ever wish you could stand up? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2015 8:55 am

It seems like my question has set some people off. Maybe I was not clear. It is not that I wish to ride along in a standing position, as if I were on an off road bike. It is more that I would like to sometimes have my feet slightly behind me, this would both allow me to life my body momentarily and also when seated to have the impact from bumps and holes transferred not to my spine but to my butt, as it would be in a standard riding position...
Back to top Go down
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2015-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Ever wish you could stand up?   Ever wish you could stand up? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2015 8:58 am

Everybody is different, but I have no problem standing up on the SW or any other bike I've had. Do it every day on a particularly bad set of railroad tracks on the way to/from work. Guess it helps to have relatively short legs and relatively long arms.
Back to top Go down
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2015-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Ever wish you could stand up?   Ever wish you could stand up? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2015 9:02 am

Meldrew speaketh: "It isn't a Gold Wing, cruiser, sports bike, trail bike, adventure bike, or a two wheeled car."

Amen. Life is too short to have only one bike.
Back to top Go down
Ishkatan
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Ishkatan

Number of posts : 203

PostSubject: Re: Ever wish you could stand up?   Ever wish you could stand up? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2015 11:18 am

I can stand up for rough stretches by shifting forward on the seat and pulling on the handle bar but it is not comfortable. I want to be further back for stability. A set of pegs or floor extension would be great... but would interfere with flat footing when stopped.

BTW, those are not the standard pegs in the cover photo (Red farkled swing... ) The passenger pegs are folded in - and much higher.
Back to top Go down
http://www.parklawnsailingassociation.org
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Ever wish you could stand up?   Ever wish you could stand up? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2015 3:47 pm

Rider44, You must have clued in by now that you cannot state your likes and dislikes. It rubs some people the wrong way. I can see your point about wanting to stand up. I've tried it a few times but the strain on the forearms limits it to a few seconds at most.
One thing about two-wheeled contraptions is that they lend themselves easily to modifications that suit the owner, and riders who are disabled and crippled who still want to ride. So, if it works for you, go ahead and do what you feel like. Follow your instincts, you are the only one who has to live with it. The rest can take a hike at their leisure and convenience. You will get constructive advice from some, the rest you can take or leave at your pleasure.
If your idea works, share it, if not, no other person needs to know.
Jay.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ever wish you could stand up?   Ever wish you could stand up? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ever wish you could stand up?
Page 1 of 1