Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Thinking of next bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeby Kunamika Hopper Today at 9:47 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to progreso, and could use some advice
Thinking of next bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeby Kunamika Hopper Today at 9:27 pm

» LF extended back rest
Thinking of next bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Today at 8:54 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Thinking of next bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 12:54 pm

» Drive belt prices
Thinking of next bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Thinking of next bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Thinking of next bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
Thinking of next bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» I said Farewell...
Thinking of next bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Thinking of next bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Thinking of next bike/scooter

Go down 
+4
Ishkatan
dalehazelton
Bash On!
john grinsel
8 posters
AuthorMessage
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Thinking of next bike/scooter Empty
PostSubject: Thinking of next bike/scooter   Thinking of next bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2015 3:42 pm

Now that I am 6-12 months from new bike/scooter purchase, at that point my current 2013 will have approx. 50,000 miles and that always in the past ha been about as long as want to keep bike/scooter.

I am sure SilverWing would last 100,000 miles, but I hate fixing little things and prefer riding under warranty.

Some choices for me: No cruisers!!

Motorcycle: Yamaha R400, had new SR500 1978. Right now only negative, no Givi Luggage/saddle bag racks available. Bike would be nice with E-21 top opening bags and my Givi E-46 box. National Cycle windshield---provide buffet free,look over ride.

Scooter: Burgman 650 too heavy or BMW both expensive.

Burgman 400=dull colors. Had 2 new ones, work well for me.
Positive about 100 lb loaded for touring lighter than SilverWing,
Non linked brakes=great for slow speed control/balance. Still plenty of dealers. Good tire selection.

Vespa: had 4 in past, when they were cheap, preferred my PX150 over PX200E, both US models. 150 smoother running.

Positive: about the only scooter you can obtain buffet free ride...and hand rain protection by proper windshield selection/cutting. Light weight. Lots of luggage racks available including front.Non linked brakes, but ABS.

Negative: no parking brake, 10,000 mile belt change

Negative: no dealer Chattanooga, weak national dealer net work
Slow Italian parts service
Not cheap. Prem. fuel, goofy and expensive key, funny oil requirement (something from Shell would work).

And then Honda Forza: ABS/Givi adjustable shield,rack available. Not real cheap, but Honda and big dealer can handle my SilverWing trade.Lighter than SilverWing

Time will tell---I do not buy used as I use them up quickly.

Must haves for me CENTERTAND!
Back to top Go down
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2015-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of next bike/scooter   Thinking of next bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2015 5:07 pm

Obvious question:  Why not another (new) SW?  They're still out there and might be for a few more months, especially as the riding season is ending (or advance your timeline a little??).  I bought mine with a 4-year, unlimited mileage Honda warranty.

Or, do you just want something different? (Nothing wrong with that, of course.)
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of next bike/scooter   Thinking of next bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2015 6:33 pm

3rd new SilverWing for me----too heavy/top heavy loaded
Back to top Go down
dalehazelton
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
dalehazelton

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2015-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of next bike/scooter   Thinking of next bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2015 7:39 pm

Only downside to the Burgman 400 is color? Seriously? Paint the thing!
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of next bike/scooter   Thinking of next bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2015 8:53 pm

Ever had a new one? Painting not something I waste time on...or money.....scooters/bikes are transportation to me....not toys. Again Burgman 400 fine a scooter, maybe more buffeting than SilverWing with Givi adjustable screen. 5 MPG better.
Back to top Go down
Ishkatan
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Ishkatan

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of next bike/scooter   Thinking of next bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2015 10:43 pm

Have you considered a motorcycle like the NC 700 lines?

I would say buy a very low mileage used Swing and put the difference into having the shop make it pristine and add an extended warrantee.

Kymco looks interesting.
Back to top Go down
http://www.parklawnsailingassociation.org
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of next bike/scooter   Thinking of next bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2015 11:41 pm

There really isn't a lot of difference in weight between the Burgman, SW and 650GT

Wet weights
Burgman 650  621lbs   $10,900  (2015)
Silverwing       548lbs     $9,270  (2013)
BMW C650GT  587lbs   $11,000  (2015

Pricewise the Burgman 650 and BMW C650GT are close in cost. The Silverwing the lowest. Due to the Silverwing not being imported to the US now the left overs will probably be quite a bit lower because dealers will be wanting to clear their floors.

If one is planning on two up riding then the B650 and the BMW GT are the best bet because both of them have around 100lbs more payload than the SW. When It comes down to it all three are excellent bikes one can't go far wrong with any of the three.
Back to top Go down
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of next bike/scooter   Thinking of next bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2015 8:56 am

john grinsel wrote:
3rd new SilverWing for me----too heavy/top heavy loaded

Took 3 to come to that conclusion? Surprised
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of next bike/scooter   Thinking of next bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2015 8:57 am

exavid wrote:
There really isn't a lot of difference in weight between the Burgman, SW and 650GT

Wet weights
Burgman 650  621lbs     $10,900  (2015)
Silverwing       548lbs     $9,270  (2013)
BMW C650GT  587lbs     $11,000  (2015

Pricewise the Burgman 650 and BMW C650GT are close in cost. The Silverwing the lowest. Due to the Silverwing not being imported to the US now the left overs will probably be quite a bit lower because dealers will be wanting to clear their floors.

If one is planning on two up riding then the B650 and the BMW GT are the best bet because both of them have around 100lbs more payload than the SW. When It comes down to it all three are excellent bikes one can't go far wrong with any of the three.

I don't suppose Mr Grinsel is planning much two up riding but I really noticed the weight difference between a Burgman 650 and a Silver Wing riding on my own and two up. For me the Silver Wing is far better, it's still a heavy bike but not excessively overweight like the big Burgman.

I'm more comfortable being out on the Silver Wing in heavy rain than I ever was on the big Burgman, and it's easier to ride in crosswinds too.

Let's be honest here, heavy bikes and scooters slowly become a problem as you get older and that's the reason that why a lot of members are now riding Silver Wings instead of Gold Wings.

Downsizing to a smaller capacity scooter from a Silver Wing shouldn't be a problem if you find one suitable for your needs and there's a good range of accessories you can fit to it.

As for the BMW C650 GT, you read forum posts that it has all sorts of problems and issues, not from current or former owners of course it's usually from someone who's never owned or can't afford one.

Anyway there's a whole raft of improvements and additions BMW have made to the C650 GT for 2016, so it makes sense to buy one of these and not a current model.

Last edited by Meldrew on Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of next bike/scooter   Thinking of next bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2015 8:59 am

dalehazelton wrote:
Only downside to the Burgman 400 is color? Seriously? Paint the thing!

Do a wrap. Get whatever design you want and it can be easily removed when you sell it or want another design.

Seriously, if I worried about color I never would have bought a SW. Only comes in black, which is my least favorite color for a bike. However, if I want a SW ....
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of next bike/scooter   Thinking of next bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2015 9:08 am

Black is the fastest color. Everyone knows that.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of next bike/scooter   Thinking of next bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2015 8:05 pm

Not at all. A consensus of 97 scientists have proven by computer model that RED is without doubt the fastest color.
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of next bike/scooter   Thinking of next bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2015 9:05 pm

That's only because scientifically and technically black is not a color. Neutral
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of next bike/scooter   Thinking of next bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2015 10:36 pm

It's because the red shift indicates increasing speed.
Back to top Go down
Cookie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Cookie

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2011-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of next bike/scooter   Thinking of next bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2015 4:03 am

Red is for speed and black is for stealth but blue is the only colour for sheer class...
I thought everyone knew that!
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of next bike/scooter   Thinking of next bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2015 6:15 am

No one knows that! Razz Laughing
Back to top Go down
Cookie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Cookie

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2011-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of next bike/scooter   Thinking of next bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2015 6:44 am

Well, I know it - and that's the main thing... Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
dalehazelton
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
dalehazelton

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of next bike/scooter   Thinking of next bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2015 8:24 am

"Ever had a new one?" (Burgman 400) - no, I never had a new one. I had a used one, 2004 model I bought in 2005 and kept for 4 years. I loved it but as a bit cramped on it. Newer model of the 400 has more legroom than first generation. I sold it hen I got a good deal on an Executive. The 400 had a bigger underseat area and the glovebox was bigger inside. It was much easier moving it around the garage as well. I have never bought a bike and obsessed over color. I prefer a neutral color anyway so my hi-viz jacket doesn't clash.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of next bike/scooter   Thinking of next bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2015 11:51 pm

One thing I prefer in a bike is at least two cylinders. So that does cut out a lot of bikes like the Burgman 400. I just don't like the vibes of a single jugger.
Back to top Go down
dalehazelton
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
dalehazelton

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of next bike/scooter   Thinking of next bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2015 7:30 am

"I just don't like the vibes" - there were none. Very smooth.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of next bike/scooter   Thinking of next bike/scooter I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Thinking of next bike/scooter
Page 1 of 1