Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Sinko De Mayo
Fuel Gauge Mystery Follow up I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 9:33 pm

» May 2024 forum picture
Fuel Gauge Mystery Follow up I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Yesterday at 4:44 pm

» checking the oil
Fuel Gauge Mystery Follow up I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:13 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Fuel Gauge Mystery Follow up I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:08 am

» LF extended back rest
Fuel Gauge Mystery Follow up I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Fuel Gauge Mystery Follow up I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:47 pm

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Fuel Gauge Mystery Follow up I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:43 pm

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Fuel Gauge Mystery Follow up I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:28 pm

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Fuel Gauge Mystery Follow up I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:15 am

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Fuel Gauge Mystery Follow up I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Fuel Gauge Mystery Follow up

Go down 
+3
NWSSC
oldgwingguy
Cosmic_Jumper
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Fuel Gauge Mystery Follow up Empty
PostSubject: Fuel Gauge Mystery Follow up   Fuel Gauge Mystery Follow up I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2015 9:21 pm

I finally resolved my Fuel Gauge dilemma. Here is a photo of the variable resistor of the sending unit on the fuel pump. You may notice a slight orange/brown haze on the element. This, I presume, is sulfur deposits from (less than premium) fuel. Those deposits were increasing the resistance of the sending unit and causing the fuel gauge to become erratic.

Fuel Gauge Mystery Follow up 29815

I also noticed that there was about 1-2 MM play (in & out) of the wiper section of the sending unit. This seemed to be caused by the push-on lock washer which anchored the float arm to the sending unit not having been pushed on tight enough. So the poor contact of the wiper exacerbated (Ooo, I always wanted to use that word) the resistance caused by the deposits.

After disassembling the sending unit I used an old toothbrush and a q-tip to scrub the resistor surface with contact cleaner as well as some Techron.

With the fuel tank reinstalled in the scoot and after several test tanksfull I can state that the problem has been resolved.

So now I'll have to stick with using premium-branded fuel rather than the "bargain" fuel I had been using.

Ya gets what ya pays for

Tim
Back to top Go down
oldgwingguy
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2015-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Gauge Mystery Follow up   Fuel Gauge Mystery Follow up I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2015 10:13 pm

I was lead to believe the sulfur problem was in the process of combustion not a fuel tank condition, does the tank have this coating also?
Back to top Go down
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2010-03-03

PostSubject: Fuel Gauge Mystery Follow up    Fuel Gauge Mystery Follow up I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2015 10:17 pm

Great post. Taking the time for a follow up like this is part of what makes this forum so great. Howard
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestsuburbanscooterclub.com/
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Gauge Mystery Follow up   Fuel Gauge Mystery Follow up I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2015 1:30 am

oldgwingguy wrote:
I was lead to believe the sulfur problem was in the process of combustion not a fuel tank condition, does the tank have this coating also?
I am not 100% sure that it is sulfur, but it sure is a sulfur colored deposit.

There is no discoloring in the tank.

Sorry that photo is so small. It's the first time I actually figured out how to post a photo, and it's the largest view I could do on this attempt.

Tim
Back to top Go down
oldgwingguy
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2015-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Gauge Mystery Follow up   Fuel Gauge Mystery Follow up I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2015 5:37 am

Roger that, a good call on fixing it yourself good explanation on the fix.
Back to top Go down
Cookie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Cookie

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2011-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Gauge Mystery Follow up   Fuel Gauge Mystery Follow up I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2015 1:58 pm

Nice one Cosmic!
Sounds like it was as suspected then.
I wouldn't worry about what fuel you use. Now that you have taken out any slop in the mechanism the wiping action of the blade will keep the rheostat clean and stop any deposits from forming.
Thanks for the update.
Back to top Go down
AldusFran
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2015-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Gauge Mystery Follow up   Fuel Gauge Mystery Follow up I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2015 5:20 pm

Great post Cosmic. When ever I fill the tank I add one or two ounces of Lucas injector cleaner and fuel stabilizer ( Techron or Marvel Mystery) which should keep the fuel sending unit and injectors clean even with low grade fuel...I think
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Gauge Mystery Follow up   Fuel Gauge Mystery Follow up I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2015 1:10 am

I had been adding a bit of Techron to each tankful for quite a while, but bumped up the amount when the fuel gauge began acting up.

Sadly, a month after finally removing the tank and fixing the sending unit, the scoot was totaled when I hit an oil spill and heard the heartbreaking sound of crunching plastic.

But after 13 years and 97000 miles it gave me a good ride.

Tim
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Gauge Mystery Follow up   Fuel Gauge Mystery Follow up I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2015 1:58 am

Sorry about your accident. Around here it's getting toward that time when one has to be careful on the roads. We have a pretty hot summer in these parts with little rain. Pretty soon the rain will return and the roads will be treacherous with rain bringing up the oil on the road that cars have left on the pavement. Especially in the center of the lanes.

There shouldn't be any sulfur, or very little in US gas that's one of the things the new fuels have practically eliminated in gasoline and diesel.

http://transportpolicy.net/index.php?title=US:_Fuels:_Diesel_and_Gasoline
Back to top Go down
silvercat600
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
silvercat600

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2020-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Gauge Mystery Follow up   Fuel Gauge Mystery Follow up I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2020 10:09 am

Thanks, I nave a fuel sending unit problem. I’ll try your technigue.

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
I finally resolved my Fuel Gauge dilemma. Here is a photo of the variable resistor of the sending unit on the fuel pump. You may notice a slight orange/brown haze on the element. This, I presume, is sulfur deposits from (less than premium) fuel. Those deposits were increasing the resistance of the sending unit and causing the fuel gauge to become erratic.

Fuel Gauge Mystery Follow up 29815

I also noticed that there was about 1-2 MM play (in & out) of the wiper section of the sending unit. This seemed to be caused by the push-on lock washer which anchored the float arm to the sending unit not having been pushed on tight enough. So the poor contact of the wiper exacerbated (Ooo, I always wanted to use that word) the resistance caused by the deposits.

After disassembling the sending unit I used an old toothbrush and a q-tip to scrub the resistor surface with contact cleaner as well as some Techron.

With the fuel tank reinstalled in the scoot and after several test tanksfull I can state that the problem has been resolved.

So now I'll have to stick with using premium-branded fuel rather than the "bargain" fuel I had been using.

Ya gets what ya pays for

Tim
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Gauge Mystery Follow up   Fuel Gauge Mystery Follow up I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fuel Gauge Mystery Follow up
Page 1 of 1