Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
What if I overfill the gear oil? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 8:05 pm

» What were they thinking?
What if I overfill the gear oil? I_icon_minitimeby cotetoi Yesterday at 7:49 pm

» Earth cable stress
What if I overfill the gear oil? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 7:29 pm

» Happy St. Patricks Day!
What if I overfill the gear oil? I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 5:11 pm

» Hello from Ontario, Canada
What if I overfill the gear oil? I_icon_minitimeby PerryH Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:05 pm

» LED Headlights
What if I overfill the gear oil? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:52 am

» Cylinder Head Replacement
What if I overfill the gear oil? I_icon_minitimeby 95konig Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:50 pm

» Cooling fan still running
What if I overfill the gear oil? I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:18 pm

» March 2024 Forum Picture
What if I overfill the gear oil? I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:38 pm

» Hyperpro Fork Springs
What if I overfill the gear oil? I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:31 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

What if I overfill the gear oil?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
CnR
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2014-06-27

What if I overfill the gear oil? Empty
PostSubject: What if I overfill the gear oil?   What if I overfill the gear oil? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2015 12:28 pm

Good morning again all.

Wow, I am finding a ton of helpful information here. Thanks to all who have contributed time, and many wrenching hours on their SWings.

I have a little concern this morning. I changed my engine oil, and then changed my final drive oil. I went by the pictorial maintenance pictures (Thanks JeffR!!). As I was filling the final drive case, I noticed oil coming from the back side of the case. Right after i noticed that, the oil started coming out of the fill hole. Did I overfill it? Should I be concerned?

Please help, and thank you!!

CnR
Back to top Go down
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2010-03-03

PostSubject: What if I overfill the gear oil?   What if I overfill the gear oil? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2015 1:10 pm

It depends on how much the case is overfilled. Normally I let the oil run out until it stops.Although the final drive is quite small (to much lube causing foaming)I do not believe it is a concern.Some times when you over fill, the oil will drain out the fill hole and can leak between the cover and case and seep in to the belt area.To be on the safe side you could remove the drain bolt slightly and let some oil drain out. Howard
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestsuburbanscooterclub.com/
oldgwingguy
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2015-02-08

PostSubject: Re: What if I overfill the gear oil?   What if I overfill the gear oil? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2015 3:12 pm

When I saw one method I thought what the heck????? BUT putting new in the DRAIN hole makes some sense, squeeze it in there until it flows out of the TOP hole, quickly insert the DRAIN plug and you are good, a lot less messy and it beats pumping it in with an oil can IMHO.
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: What if I overfill the gear oil?   What if I overfill the gear oil? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2015 4:49 pm

oldgwingguy wrote:
When I saw one method I thought what the heck????? BUT putting new in the DRAIN hole makes some sense, squeeze it in there until it flows out of the TOP hole, quickly insert the DRAIN plug and you are good, a lot less messy and it beats pumping it in with an oil can IMHO.  

Yep, that is the preferred method for filling the angle drive on outboard motors
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What if I overfill the gear oil?   What if I overfill the gear oil? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What if I overfill the gear oil?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: Maintenance, Tips and Hints-
Jump to: