Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Goodbye guys
 Bike died out while riding!!!! Just my Luck. I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 5:58 am

» LF extended back rest
 Bike died out while riding!!!! Just my Luck. I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 11:29 pm

» noise under load
 Bike died out while riding!!!! Just my Luck. I_icon_minitimeby dmosemorris Sat May 18, 2024 8:30 pm

» checking the oil
 Bike died out while riding!!!! Just my Luck. I_icon_minitimeby arcamedies13 Sat May 18, 2024 4:32 pm

» Ignition wires to which plug?
 Bike died out while riding!!!! Just my Luck. I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Fri May 17, 2024 1:39 am

» Hello from Illinois!
 Bike died out while riding!!!! Just my Luck. I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 9:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
 Bike died out while riding!!!! Just my Luck. I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Wed May 15, 2024 6:57 am

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
 Bike died out while riding!!!! Just my Luck. I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 7:53 pm

» Left brake micro-switch
 Bike died out while riding!!!! Just my Luck. I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Sat May 11, 2024 2:57 am

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
 Bike died out while riding!!!! Just my Luck. I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Sat May 11, 2024 12:36 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Bike died out while riding!!!! Just my Luck.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
ozzman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
ozzman

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2015-03-27

Bike died out while riding!!!! Just my Luck. Empty
PostSubject: Bike died out while riding!!!! Just my Luck.    Bike died out while riding!!!! Just my Luck. I_icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2015 3:03 am

I went on a cruise up to Avilla to look at boat today and on the way back I pulled off at the gas station
to take off my jacket. When I shut off bike and tried to start it back up,it had absolutely no power.
I checked over everything and couldn't figure out why it just quit. I'm about to call it a lousy day when I
remembered the service dept. around the corner and down the hill 1 block. So I start pushing towards the
shop. Just my luck it died so close and didn't have to call a tow. The guys have me roll it in and check out the battery only to find out it's
toast. They put a new one on the charger for a half hour to top off the charge and 100 bucks later I'm back on the road again.
I didn't have a clue the battery would up and die so quick. Seem to be just fine since I bought the bike back in Jan. when I saw it had the battery tender plug hooked up on it. I even spent the extra money for the dealer battery tender to keep it good.

So what are the odds the bike would die and be 1 block from the shop and back riding for the weekend?
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Bike died out while riding!!!! Just my Luck.    Bike died out while riding!!!! Just my Luck. I_icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2015 4:51 am

I'll just say the odds are slim, because any figure I'd give would would just be a guess. I know you know how lucky you were,you said so above, but I still have to say you were real lucky.
How old was your  battery? It seems like the newer batteries don't give you much warning when they are ready to die, maybe the starter turns a little slower but you don't notice that until you put a new battery in.
Did you check your voltage with the ignition off, with ignition on and scooter running at idle, and with the scooter running at up to 5,000 RPMs? You should have around 12.50v with the ignition off and at idle around 13v. With the scooter running at 5,000 RPMs you should/may get 14.5, it should not go 15v or over. You don't want to fry a new battery with a bad regulator/rectifier or a bad stator/alternator.
Back to top Go down
ozzman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
ozzman

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2015-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Bike died out while riding!!!! Just my Luck.    Bike died out while riding!!!! Just my Luck. I_icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2015 5:14 pm

model28a wrote:

How old was your  battery?

IDK

There was a sticker on it that said used.

Did you check your voltage with the ignition off, with ignition on and scooter running at idle, and with the scooter running at up to 5,000 RPMs?

Yes.

Stator is still good at 10,550 miles.

Thanks,
Ozzman
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Bike died out while riding!!!! Just my Luck.    Bike died out while riding!!!! Just my Luck. I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2015 3:56 am

Cool, then it sounds like you're good to go. applause
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2014-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Bike died out while riding!!!! Just my Luck.    Bike died out while riding!!!! Just my Luck. I_icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2015 3:22 am

Ill take this as fair warning. I think my battery is weak, Original in a 2011. In for 4000 mile service in a week, the battery will be replaced. Scooters are a lot more fun when ridden opposed to being pushed especially after receiving a sound warning!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bike died out while riding!!!! Just my Luck.    Bike died out while riding!!!! Just my Luck. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bike died out while riding!!!! Just my Luck.
Page 1 of 1