Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Goodbye guys
Bleeding ABS Brakes I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Yesterday at 10:58 pm

» LF extended back rest
Bleeding ABS Brakes I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 4:29 pm

» noise under load
Bleeding ABS Brakes I_icon_minitimeby dmosemorris Sat May 18, 2024 1:30 pm

» checking the oil
Bleeding ABS Brakes I_icon_minitimeby arcamedies13 Sat May 18, 2024 9:32 am

» Ignition wires to which plug?
Bleeding ABS Brakes I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Thu May 16, 2024 6:39 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
Bleeding ABS Brakes I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
Bleeding ABS Brakes I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
Bleeding ABS Brakes I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» Left brake micro-switch
Bleeding ABS Brakes I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Bleeding ABS Brakes I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Bleeding ABS Brakes

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Donie
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2013-04-07

Bleeding ABS Brakes Empty
PostSubject: Bleeding ABS Brakes   Bleeding ABS Brakes I_icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2015 4:48 am

I'm in the middle of the dreaded 'Bleeding Brakes Problem'.

I have the front sorted out pretty well, but the rear is giving me trouble.

I can't seem to get it firm before the lever hits the handlebar grip. At that point it seems to have the rear wheel braked but it's certainly not the way it was before I started.

I'm noticing a difference in the bottom of the two master cylinders.

The front has a little round 'upstand' to the right of and beside the 'sump' hole in the bottom. The left (rear) has a little hole (no upstand over it) and it appears to blowback (not air) some fluid when you briskly pump the lever.

Can any kind 'Swinger' throw some light on this for me?

I've been reverse bleeding the system since the conventional method was showing poor results on the front brake previously.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Bleeding ABS Brakes   Bleeding ABS Brakes I_icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2015 9:07 am

Sorry Donie, no help here from me.

Tim
Back to top Go down
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2010-03-03

PostSubject: Bleading ABS brakes   Bleeding ABS Brakes I_icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2015 1:36 pm

Although most of my experience is in the auto industry,it is important to start from the beginning. Did this start out as a maintenance project or some other concern. Disk brake master cylinders have no check valve in the master cylinder so it is important to operate the lever (or pedal) slowly,they can draw air back to the master cylinder.Are you doing this by yourself or is someone helping? Do the closest caliper first this would be the front on the Silverwing.Be careful and do not let the master run low on fluid. If you are doing this by yourself you can run a piece of tubing from the caliper to a container making sure the tubing in submerged in fluid. Always take your time. If you are planing to do your own maintenance a power bleeder is not that expensive.  Please let us know.  Howard
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestsuburbanscooterclub.com/
Donie
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2013-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Bleeding ABS Brakes   Bleeding ABS Brakes I_icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2015 5:16 pm

It started out with a dragging front brake, and even before I got that sorted the back brake was also dragging,

So I removed both calipers and took out the pistons to remove all brake dust, and give the piston a good cleaning with emery paper.

When I began bleeding the system I had difficulty getting any sort of pressure with the conventional bleed procedure, until I decided to reverse bleed from the bleeder up through the master cylinder with a syringe.

Now the front brake is fine but the back one is not improving, and I notice a squirt of fluid, when I use the lever, coming up from the small hole to the right of the sump feeder hold in the bottom of the master cylinder.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Bleeding ABS Brakes   Bleeding ABS Brakes I_icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2015 8:10 pm

Hmm...In rereading your posts I suspect that you've still got air in the rear brake system. When you were reverse bleeding the rear system you may have introduced more air into the system.

At this point I would suggest that you top off the left master cylinder and bleed the system convertionally. Start with the bleeder valve on the front caliper for the small front piston. Top off the master cylinder again --make sure that it never runs out of fluid though. Then move to the rear caliper bleeder. Bleed that caliper conventionally.

After you are satisfied that you done the best you can with that rear brake bleed then you might want to try this trick an 'old timer' taught me: top off the master cylinder, apply the rear brake and zip tie the lever ON and leave it there for a couple of days --the longer the better. Don't "check on it" in the mean time. Somehow that encourages the air bubbles hiding in the system to rise to the top (i.e. the master cylinder) and become displaced with brake fluid.

Dunno if that trick will work with an ABS system, but it worked for me with my spongier-than-normal rear brake lever. Hey, at this point it's gotta be worth a try. HTH

Tim
Back to top Go down
oldgwingguy
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2015-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Bleeding ABS Brakes   Bleeding ABS Brakes I_icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2015 8:47 pm

I don't know how many I've done over the years but I like my Mighty Vac and one word SLOW, you're bleeding not hemorrhaging, on my GW I did the clutch by gravity the secret as said keep the reservoir topped up.
Back to top Go down
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2010-03-03

PostSubject: Bleeding ABS Brakes   Bleeding ABS Brakes I_icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2015 12:39 am

Hopefully we are not beating a dead horse here but from what has been stated It should be noted you should limit the amount of air into the system when ever possible.First only one caliper should be removed at a time. Find a short piece of rubber tubing that will slip over the line to the caliper and install a snug bolt in the other end of the hose to limit fluid loss. I used to make steel lines to do this but the hose works just fine. When you re-install the caliper open the bleed fitting and wait for fluid to start running out. After that you can apply pressure but make sure you close the bleeder valve before the brake lever runs the full distance. As stated earlier disk brakes have no check valve in the master cylinder. Slow steady pulls of the lever work the best. Depending where the bleeder valve is located some times a gentle tap with a soft mallet will send air trapped in the caliper out. This holds true for most disk brake vehicles.
p.s. That small squirt of fluid you saw in the master cylinder is normal.  Howard
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestsuburbanscooterclub.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bleeding ABS Brakes   Bleeding ABS Brakes I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bleeding ABS Brakes
Page 1 of 1