Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Ignition wires to which plug?
So I bought a Helmet from China.  I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Yesterday at 6:39 pm

» noise under load
So I bought a Helmet from China.  I_icon_minitimeby COMick Yesterday at 6:04 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
So I bought a Helmet from China.  I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
So I bought a Helmet from China.  I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» LF extended back rest
So I bought a Helmet from China.  I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Mon May 13, 2024 7:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
So I bought a Helmet from China.  I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» checking the oil
So I bought a Helmet from China.  I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Mon May 13, 2024 10:11 am

» Left brake micro-switch
So I bought a Helmet from China.  I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
So I bought a Helmet from China.  I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
So I bought a Helmet from China.  I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

So I bought a Helmet from China.

Go down 
+7
DickO
bikerboy
LDB
jmaslak
hotwings
MikeO
SilverwingInIdaho
11 posters
AuthorMessage
SilverwingInIdaho
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2011-08-23

So I bought a Helmet from China.  Empty
PostSubject: So I bought a Helmet from China.    So I bought a Helmet from China.  I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2014 1:48 am

It came with some parts out of place. I don't know if my words and photo were getting my point across to them due to language barriers so I made this video and sent it to them.

Here is the video cause I figured someone here might be able to help me out too.

I think the plastic part might be able to be removed but I have pulled on it a little and it't not coming up with a little force. I don't wanna break it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1uke5CYYrM&feature=youtu.be

I wanted a modular helmet but on a budget, I figured it would be as good as the free one that came with my first scooter so far as protection offered since the free one can be had for 35.00 new and I paid 50.00 for this one but I guess I learned a lesson. No lectures needed.

Mike
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: So I bought a Helmet from China.    So I bought a Helmet from China.  I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2014 9:01 am

I knocked my new Nolan N44 (over £200.00 to buy) against the window-sill in my hotel room last May and broke off one of the knobs which operate the vents.
Those bits are fragile to say the least.
I don't think there's a helmet made at a reasonable price which isn't susceptible to (minor) damage.

Hope you manage to sort out your problem.
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: So I bought a Helmet from China.    So I bought a Helmet from China.  I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2014 9:07 am

SilverwingInIdaho wrote:
 No lectures needed.

Mike
I cant resist: remember the adage "you pay for what you get". Did you not do at least 30 seconds of research before clicking the "buy it now" button? Not DOT approved....come on!!!!
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: So I bought a Helmet from China.    So I bought a Helmet from China.  I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2014 9:18 am

What are you on about?
It's a tiny plastic slider that's broken.

As for the DOT rating: IIRC European Standards for testing helmets are vastly superior to Snell and all that. ;-)

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/nolan-n44/review.htm
Back to top Go down
jmaslak
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2012-06-15

PostSubject: Re: So I bought a Helmet from China.    So I bought a Helmet from China.  I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2014 11:59 am

The ECE standard may be better in some ways (there's debate on whether it's better than DOT or Snell), but IIRC most of the time it's a self-certification, just as the DOT standard is. Snell is independently tested (by Snell) and you can look up a helmet on Snell's site to see if it passed the test.

So, you can get one that you know passed an inferior standard (Snell, perhaps), or one that the people making it say "Trust us, this is ECE." With a big helmet manufacturer, I'd probably trust them. Not so sure about the ultra-low cost ones - I suspect some have lied (I know that a lot of Chinese helmets are no longer imported into the USA as DOT compliant because the manufacturers did lie - which might be why they are being imported as ECE now).

Also, FWIW, helmet law requirements in the US require DOT. Not that a cop would necessarily know or care, and, besides, a half-helmet DOT would meet the requirement, which is kind of bogus from a safety standpoint.
Back to top Go down
LDB
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
LDB

Number of posts : 157
Registration date : 2014-05-19

PostSubject: Re: So I bought a Helmet from China.    So I bought a Helmet from China.  I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2014 1:20 pm

hotwings wrote:

I cant resist: remember the adage "you pay for what you get".

Did you truly mean to say that? Is there supposed to be some sort of emoticon? I've never heard that one in 57 years. As to helmets, how much is one's head worth?
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

PostSubject: So I bought a cheap helmet from China   So I bought a Helmet from China.  I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2014 3:15 pm

If you have a cheap head buy a cheap helmet !!
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: So I bought a Helmet from China.    So I bought a Helmet from China.  I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2014 4:50 pm

Hi Folks,
Just a small reminder on that "adage": I checked and the correct wording is "You get what you pay for".
Inquiring minds 'have' to know... Smile Smile
Back to top Go down
SilverwingInIdaho
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: So I bought a Helmet from China.    So I bought a Helmet from China.  I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2014 5:23 pm

hotwings wrote:
SilverwingInIdaho wrote:
 No lectures needed.

Mike
I cant resist: remember the adage "you pay for what you get". Did you not do at least 30 seconds of research before clicking the "buy it now" button? Not DOT approved....come on!!!!

I see lots of NON DOT approved helmets for sale but they state that up front. I took a second look at the auction. There is no mention of that I could see.
Back to top Go down
SilverwingInIdaho
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: So I bought a Helmet from China.    So I bought a Helmet from China.  I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2014 5:24 pm

MikeO wrote:
What are you on about?
It's a tiny plastic slider that's broken.

As for the DOT rating: IIRC European Standards for testing helmets are vastly superior to Snell and all that. ;-)

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/nolan-n44/review.htm

It's not broken it simply came apart. If you know howe to get it back in by all means let me know.
Back to top Go down
SilverwingInIdaho
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: So I bought a Helmet from China.    So I bought a Helmet from China.  I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2014 5:29 pm

TO add I got my first helmet free with a scooter and they run 35.00 on ebay. So when I paid more for this new one I did NOT get what I paid for. I expected at lest the same protection level. You can feel the cheapness on this new helmet and it's nothing like the cheap one I got free that sells for 35.00 new to this day. It's an open face however. I have a scorpion but it's full face and hard to take on and off so for running errands I don't use it.

I wanted better protection with the same ease of removal as I have with the open face so I bought this new helmet. Obviously I am still in the market.
Back to top Go down
SilverwingInIdaho
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: So I bought a Helmet from China.    So I bought a Helmet from China.  I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2014 1:40 am

FIXED! I figured it out, if only by some accident.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: So I bought a Helmet from China.    So I bought a Helmet from China.  I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2014 1:53 am

Congratulations. Problem solved.
Back to top Go down
SilverwingInIdaho
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: So I bought a Helmet from China.    So I bought a Helmet from China.  I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2014 3:27 am

exavid wrote:

I see you are from Medford, I hear there is some corruption problems with your local police and city government. Is it true?

Back to top Go down
jmaslak
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2012-06-15

PostSubject: Re: So I bought a Helmet from China.    So I bought a Helmet from China.  I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2014 9:35 am

Not to dwell on the issue too much, but anyone thinking of buying a no-name helmet should probably watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LfEFhBelTY
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: So I bought a Helmet from China.    So I bought a Helmet from China.  I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2014 12:26 pm

I have a Bilt (cycle gear) modular helmet purchased at Cycle Gear ($60) that is very comfortable - guessing it will protect my head somewhat - not as much as others - clearly not a high-end helmet - have used it for over 60,000 miles. Also, got an Arai ($200) and a Shoei ($100) on Craigs List - one new the other barley used. The nice thing about buying a helmet locally is that you can try it on and make sure it fits your head - as sizes/headshapes vary among manufacturers and there is nothing worse than a helmet too loose or too tight. If you like new then do it - but if you don't want to spend much - check out Craigs List as there are many 'name brand' helmets in the $25-$50 range that you can go and try on before you buy (600 helmets for sale in my area). Don't buy a helmet with any obvious scratchs/dings - otherwise the helmet, if name brand, should offer decent protection. Low cost DOT approved 'used' helmets abound, SNELL approved used helmets are available but cost more, European standard used helmets seem much harder to come by in the USA.
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

PostSubject: Re: So I bought a Helmet from China.    So I bought a Helmet from China.  I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2014 12:39 pm

DickO wrote:
Hi Folks,
Just a small reminder on that "adage":  I checked and  the correct wording is "You get what you pay for".
Inquiring minds 'have' to know... Smile Smile
Just a smaller reminder on your "adage correction": i checked and the correct wording is "you pay for what you get"!! Thanks google Smile Smile
Back to top Go down
Colin B
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Colin B

Number of posts : 586
Registration date : 2013-03-20

PostSubject: Re: So I bought a Helmet from China.    So I bought a Helmet from China.  I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2014 1:26 pm

hotwings wrote:
Thanks google Smile Smile

This was Google.China, I assume?  Neutral
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: So I bought a Helmet from China.    So I bought a Helmet from China.  I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2014 2:48 pm

SilverwingInIdaho wrote:
exavid wrote:

I see you are from Medford, I hear there is some corruption problems with your local police and city government. Is it true?

Nothing I know about. Haven't heard anything on the radio or in the newspaper.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: So I bought a Helmet from China.    So I bought a Helmet from China.  I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2014 4:46 pm

Unfortunately, the slider actually broke. There are two prongs which grip the mechanism.
One prong snapped off.

I have little doubt that Nolan will supply spare parts - when I get around to contacting them
It doesn't affect the integrity of the helmet fortunately.
Back to top Go down
SilverwingInIdaho
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: So I bought a Helmet from China.    So I bought a Helmet from China.  I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2014 5:08 am

Well I think I found my replacement helmet. I am looking at this one in high viz green.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/36650/i/gmax-gm54s-modular-street-helmet
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

PostSubject: Re: So I bought a Helmet from China.    So I bought a Helmet from China.  I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2014 6:37 am

SilverwingInIdaho wrote:
 Well I think I found my replacement helmet. I am looking at this one in high viz green.

Now your thinking sensibly  Wink . I have the Gmax 54s and love it. I find it comfortable. I like the wireless brakelight + the other light options. The flip down sunshield is also a nice safety feature when riding around a bend and getting blinded by the sun. The modular flip front is nice when refueling or needing a breath of fresh air when stopped on those hot summer days. I mainly use the helmet when riding my Suzuki GSF. My wife and i like using our Scorpion open face helmets when on the silverwing because it makes communicating so much easier! However we use our modular helmets when riding in cooler/wet weather! I did a ton of research before deciding the Gmax 54s was the best bang for my buck! Mine is black.
Back to top Go down
SilverwingInIdaho
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: So I bought a Helmet from China.    So I bought a Helmet from China.  I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2014 3:46 pm

hotwings wrote:
SilverwingInIdaho wrote:

Now your thinking sensibly  Wink . I have the Gmax 54s and love it. I find it comfortable. I like the wireless brakelight + the other light options. The flip down sunshield is also a nice safety feature when riding around a bend and getting blinded by the sun. The modular flip front is nice when refueling or needing a breath of fresh air when stopped on those hot summer days. I mainly use the helmet when riding my Suzuki GSF. My wife and i like using our Scorpion open face helmets when on the silverwing because it makes communicating so much easier! However we use our modular helmets when riding in cooler/wet weather! I did a ton of research before deciding the Gmax 54s was the best bang for my buck! Mine is black.

I watched some reviews. Much better then that China fake!
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: So I bought a Helmet from China.    So I bought a Helmet from China.  I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2014 3:36 am

You can't really knock China for it's manufacturing capability, the iPad I'm typing out this post on was manufactured in China for Apple, I bought the iPad in Boston.

Klim make a big thing about their motorcycle gear having it's roots in the wilds of Idaho, but the Klim Overland jacket I bought in Germany last week was manufactured in Vietnam.

Last edited by Meldrew on Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:55 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
SilverwingInIdaho
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: So I bought a Helmet from China.    So I bought a Helmet from China.  I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2014 6:28 am

Ya but that helmet I got from China was JUNK! Made to look cool and that is about it.
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

PostSubject: Re: So I bought a Helmet from China.    So I bought a Helmet from China.  I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2014 8:24 am

When i had my Harley i always got a kick out of everyones keep American attitude. Almost all accessories at the dealership had a made in china sticker on the back of the package!!
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: So I bought a Helmet from China.    So I bought a Helmet from China.  I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2014 4:15 pm

Not only that but Harley uses Showa forks which are made in Japan as well as many electrical parts being made in Japan.
Back to top Go down
SilverwingInIdaho
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: So I bought a Helmet from China.    So I bought a Helmet from China.  I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2014 10:42 pm

I reviewed that China made helmet because there are no reviews on youtube to warn anyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpdQ-fQ7XcA&feature=youtu.be
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So I bought a Helmet from China.    So I bought a Helmet from China.  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

So I bought a Helmet from China.
Page 1 of 1