Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Essential tools  I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Essential tools  I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:43 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Essential tools  I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:41 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Essential tools  I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:35 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Essential tools  I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Essential tools  I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Today at 5:15 am

» LF extended back rest
Essential tools  I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Yesterday at 8:54 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Essential tools  I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 12:54 pm

» Drive belt prices
Essential tools  I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Essential tools  I_icon_minitimeby landisr Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:15 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Essential tools

Go down 
+11
KurtPerthWA
Cosmic_Jumper
MikeO
The Scootist
Winger61
john grinsel
Black Sapper
hotwings
Dale N.
trishc
Regio
15 posters
AuthorMessage
Regio
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Regio

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2012-04-25

Essential tools  Empty
PostSubject: Essential tools    Essential tools  I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2014 1:58 am

I'm starting to ride longer distances from home. Are there any tools you guys would recommend to gather and carry for an always-on-the-bike tool kit?
Back to top Go down
trishc
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
trishc

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2013-01-30

Essential tools  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Essential tools    Essential tools  I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2014 2:17 am

Tyre repair kit.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1984
Registration date : 2014-02-13

Essential tools  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Essential tools    Essential tools  I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2014 5:08 am

Here's also a link from this site that might help.
https://www.silverwing600.com/t5912-2011-tool-kit
I put my own tool kit together from "extra" tools I had in my garage tool box. I had an old Army surplus pouch that held them all very nice and just put that under the seat. Although I still have to get myself a tire repair kit and some sort of hand air pump to carry.
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

Essential tools  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Essential tools    Essential tools  I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2014 6:06 am

#1 tool is roadside assistance. #2 tool is a cell phone.
Back to top Go down
Black Sapper
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2009-01-01

Essential tools  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Essential tools    Essential tools  I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2014 6:26 am

Mobile phone and breakdown insurance card. If it's bad enough to immobile the bike, you need some means of getting help
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Essential tools  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Essential tools    Essential tools  I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2014 9:07 am

Enough to remove both wheels, addition tire repair kit,, hand pump, as miles pile up spare drive belt....dealers seldom have them in stock.

Tools should be good quality and tested at home.
Back to top Go down
Winger61
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Winger61

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2010-10-15

Essential tools  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Essential tools    Essential tools  I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2014 9:15 am

hotwings wrote:
#1 tool is roadside assistance. #2 tool is a cell phone.

Black Sapper wrote:
Mobile phone and breakdown insurance card. If it's bad enough to immobile the bike, you need some means of getting help

+1 to both those posts.
Back to top Go down
Regio
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Regio

Essential tools  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Essential tools    Essential tools  I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2014 12:13 pm

Thanks for all the input! It def helps!
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

Essential tools  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Essential tools    Essential tools  I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2014 12:40 pm

Cell phone, Roadside service, phillips screw driver, extra fuses, small socket set, tire repair kit, cold beer (while you wait for the service truck)
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3794
Registration date : 2009-06-29

Essential tools  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Essential tools    Essential tools  I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2014 2:31 pm

My Silverwing was supplied from new with a tool-kit which should be adequate for minor roadside repairs.
I carry a roll of 200-MPH tape, some string and an extra spanner in case the wing-mirrors come loose, spare bulbs and fuses. Any extra tools are appropriate to modifications and gadgets I've added to the scooter. For example my mirror extenders need a large allen key to tighten them.

My phone and 'Roadside Assist' card travel with me in any case.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Essential tools  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Essential tools    Essential tools  I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2014 2:34 pm

The Scootist wrote:
Cell phone, Roadside service, phillips screw driver, extra fuses, small socket set, tire repair kit, cold beer (while you wait for the service truck)

Toilet paper...for the roadside service that takes too long to arrive
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Essential tools  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Essential tools    Essential tools  I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2014 2:54 pm

No reflection on anyone but I think we need to stick with 'tools' as the OP requested.

There are certain items those of us in Europe might have to carry to comply with various countries' Rules & Regulations but they aren't tools as such.

If I was to list them it would be somewhat confusing in this thread. ...... and I concur with Cosmic_Jumper's last suggestion.  Smile 
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1709
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Essential tools  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Essential tools    Essential tools  I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2014 8:48 am

[quote from Dale.  Although I still have to get myself a tire repair kit and some sort of hand air pump to carry.[/quote]

Dale, You will probably never need the pump. Last time I used a pump on the road I used a stripped down 12 volt really cheap pump about 5 years ago. Throw away the plastic housing and you will be surprised how small a space it takes up, less than a hand pump and at our age less chance of pumping ourselves up for a coronary. NB hold it with pliers, it gets bloody hot!

Before that, it was back in 1968.

Addenda. One of those high pressure air containers. You will need to get high pressure very quickly to seal the beads.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Essential tools  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Essential tools    Essential tools  I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2014 9:59 am

Adding----in US----carry socket to get rear axle nut off/ metric. Proper metric allen wrench for front axle pinch bolts. Reason: often people will offer to help, even if you cannot do work yourself, maybe they can......backroads, this is inch country---better you have metric stuff with you. Proper tubeless tire repair is from inside...so wheels have to come off. Idea no costly delays for simple repair----Example: several years ago Kawasaki Voyager ( the real 4 cyl one, not the cruiser type) rural Missouri, rear tire wore to nothing, found long established small Honda dealer...with tire, but no thin wall 27mm socket that would fit in small space for rear axle nut---he had 27mm socket but wouldn't fit. Aware of the problem from earlier tire change, I carried the proper thin wall 27 mm socket---tire out and change routine then and on way. Ride enough and flat tires are out there. Idea for me at least=always keep going when it is possible.

Back to top Go down
4getful2
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
4getful2

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2013-02-23

Essential tools  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Essential tools    Essential tools  I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2014 8:08 pm

I carry a can of fix-a-flat or the like,a can of starting fluid, a couple tie down straps and a bottled water.
I figure if i do get a flat, the flatstop in a can ,should get me home or somewhere to fix it proper.
Starting fluid to either help seat the bead on the tire or let me know if it's getting any gas or spark.
Water and straps for the wait for the tow truck to show up.
Back to top Go down
WingMan02
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
WingMan02

Number of posts : 287
Registration date : 2012-01-19

Essential tools  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Essential tools    Essential tools  I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2014 3:36 am

Are the tools you consider essential the same no matter how far your travel plans? IE, would you always carry a spare belt and tools to replace it if only doing city traveling? I carry a tire patch kit that is inserts a patch using a tool from the outside of your tire and mushrooms on the inside. The repair kit also comes with a CO2 cartridge to inflate the tire. I also have Ride-On in my tires.
Back to top Go down
Colin B
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Colin B

Number of posts : 586
Registration date : 2013-03-20

Essential tools  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Essential tools    Essential tools  I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2014 4:31 am

I carry a small first aid kit ... for people ie me. One doesn't like to bleed all over one's steed!  pale

As for tools, restrict yourself you those you know how to use, for jobs you know you can do at the roadside.

A Multi-tool might come in handy for odd jobs.
eg Leatherman* (pliers/screwdriver with changeable bits/knife/bottle opener/thing for prising boy scouts out of girl guides! etc)

As suggested, a few spare parts may prove more useful:-
A belt
Bulbs
Fuses
All things that may suddenly fail.

Plus:-
Gaffa tape
Insulating tape
Cable ties

For putting bits back together after an 'incident'.

*Other makes exist.  Smile

Last edited by Colin B on Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:48 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Added some more.)
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Essential tools  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Essential tools    Essential tools  I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2014 4:37 am

I concur with all of that.
Interestingly for me one was required to carry a First-Aid kit in car and on bike in Belgium.
Back to top Go down
Regio
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Regio

Essential tools  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Essential tools    Essential tools  I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2014 7:31 am

I prob wouldn't carry a spare belt unless I went more than a couple hours from home. Didn't think about a first aid kit though. Right now I have metric sockets, wrenches, Allen wrenches, skin spoons (for Tupperware on/off), screw driver w changeable bits, and a small rechargeable screwdriver. I also have zip ties and electrical tape, fuses, needle nose pliers, and side cutters. I will look into roadside assistance and the tire repair kit. That just makes sense to have even close to home. Thanks again for the input!
Back to top Go down
LDB
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
LDB

Number of posts : 157
Registration date : 2014-05-19

Essential tools  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Essential tools    Essential tools  I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2014 9:40 am

Tool kit basics, Duct tape and WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, Duct tape. If it should move and it won't, WD40.
Back to top Go down
Regio
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Regio

Essential tools  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Essential tools    Essential tools  I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2014 5:00 pm

LDB wrote:
Tool kit basics, Duct tape and WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, Duct tape. If it should move and it won't, WD40.
Haha!! Love it!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Essential tools  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Essential tools    Essential tools  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Essential tools
Page 1 of 1