Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» checking the oil
Normal maintenance on a SW I_icon_minitimeby COMick Today at 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Normal maintenance on a SW I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Normal maintenance on a SW I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Normal maintenance on a SW I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Normal maintenance on a SW I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Normal maintenance on a SW I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Normal maintenance on a SW I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Normal maintenance on a SW I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Normal maintenance on a SW I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Normal maintenance on a SW I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Normal maintenance on a SW

Go down 
+3
Greysilver
Mudnman
LDB
7 posters
AuthorMessage
LDB
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
LDB

Number of posts : 157
Registration date : 2014-05-19

Normal maintenance on a SW Empty
PostSubject: Normal maintenance on a SW   Normal maintenance on a SW I_icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2014 6:02 pm

I've heard the Burgman needs the valves checked and maybe adjusted every 4k miles and it can get expensive for those who don't do any of their own service.

How often does the SW need service and how expensive is it when it's done at the dealer?
Back to top Go down
Mudnman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2014-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Normal maintenance on a SW   Normal maintenance on a SW I_icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2014 6:42 pm

Dealer to dealer price will vary.All depends on how much you ride it.$$$
Belt every 16-20k.Probably 2 rear tire per belt,1 front.3 oil changes per belt.
The search on this site works great.Good scoots IMO.
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Normal maintenance on a SW   Normal maintenance on a SW I_icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2014 6:52 pm

Hi LBD. I think my manual says adjust valves every 16K. As these are shimmed it does cost something. Be certain of your mechanic as this isn't a job for the new guy.  After the job is complete, if your scoot sounds like a beer can with gravel being shaken you will know the mechanic didn't have a clue. Smile
Back to top Go down
Mudnman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2014-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Normal maintenance on a SW   Normal maintenance on a SW I_icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2014 6:57 pm

Says to check.Adjust if needed.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Normal maintenance on a SW   Normal maintenance on a SW I_icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2014 7:14 pm

I and many others don't even bother with valve clearance checks or adjustments. Checking is relatively easy, adjustment is a very different matter. To adjust the clearance, the timing chain must come off and both camshafts must be removed. In addition to having the correct replacement shims (sold as a kit), you need a micrometer and need to know how to use it. Reassembly of the valve train requires precision and following the service manual to the letter. Most mechanics HATE valve adjustments, as they are not paid enough for this stressful job. It's too easy to drop a shim or bucket down into the crankcase, and then you're really screwed. I know of at least 6 Silverwings with over 50k miles that have never had a check or adjustment, and they run just fine.

If you're anal and need to go by the book, you're looking at many hours of shop labour to adjust valves. Unless you're watching, you should mark the valve cover nuts with a scribe and see if they've actually been removed after paying for even a clearance check. A lot of tupperware has to come off the front end just to check the valves.
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Normal maintenance on a SW   Normal maintenance on a SW I_icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2014 8:12 pm

LDB wrote:
I've heard the Burgman needs the valves checked and maybe adjusted every 4k miles and it can get expensive for those who don't do any of their own service.

How often does the SW need service and how expensive is it when it's done at the dealer?

I think the Burgman that may need valves checked every 4k miles is the pre 2007 Burgman 400.  In 2007 they redesigned the 400 so the engine isn't needing the maintenance the pre 2007 400 does.  For the SWing I don't think too many have their valves adjusted.  I had mine for 34,000 miles and it still rode great.  The only expenses really are the belt changes, oil changes, and tire changes.

I had a Majesty before the SWing and they have the best valve checks at 26,000 miles. Also, the pre 2007 Burgman 400 seemed to use oil for some reason. But there is a couple of sites you should go to:

www.majestyusa.com
www.burgmanusa.com

You can get good info at these sites. I thought the Majesty was a very smooth and comfortable bike like the SWing. But the SWing is a much more powerful twin with a frame mounted engine.
Back to top Go down
LDB
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
LDB

PostSubject: Re: Normal maintenance on a SW   Normal maintenance on a SW I_icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2014 10:31 pm

I'm not mechanical at all so I won't even be doing my own oil changes. I was just curious if there's a lot to do. I figure on just a few k miles per year so I may be one of those oil change every fall prior to mostly putting it away for the winter people. At 16k intervals I'd probably get 3 years per belt and tires maybe every other year. Sounds like a not very expensive overall cost of operation.
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Normal maintenance on a SW   Normal maintenance on a SW I_icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2014 11:42 pm

If you only are going to put a few thousands miles a year on it the SWing would be a pretty inexpensive bike to own.  Do the oil change like you said in your post and tires last about 10,000 miles and the belt is 16,000 miles.  Do people put bikes away in Texas?  I didn't know it got that cold there.
Back to top Go down
LDB
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
LDB

PostSubject: Re: Normal maintenance on a SW   Normal maintenance on a SW I_icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2014 12:09 am

Well, it would likely get too cool to suit me for a few months although there might be the odd day sprinkled in when I'd ride.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Normal maintenance on a SW   Normal maintenance on a SW I_icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2014 6:59 am

If you do not ride big miles---SilverWing simple---learn to do oil changes. Use Honda dealer, they may know the SilverWing.

Then not being ridden often...think dead battery?
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1986
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Normal maintenance on a SW   Normal maintenance on a SW I_icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2014 7:52 am

I bought my 08 Wing from my sister in FL near Pensacola. She, and my other two sisters have lived there for years and have been acclimated to FL weather. All three were born and raised up here in MN but now when it gets down to around 50 degrees they bundle up in heavier coats and are freezing their butts off.

When my son and I went down there the last week of March and the early mornings were around 45 degrees. We'd be outside in our shorts and T-shirts and they'd be bundled up so I can see where anyone who lives down South would "freeze" when the temps get down a bit. They are used to the hot and humid. Up here we are used to watching the snow melt waiting for 50 degrees. The forecast for the next few days calls for temps in the 70's which means it's going to be HOT for a while. LOL

I'm not complaining tho. I've been waiting for weather like this ever since I got my Wing running and have had a few rides on it so far. It's early in the season and I plan on taking full advantage of it this year. It's been a few years since I've been on two wheels, as I've written in previous posts, and I plan on making up my lack of mileage.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Normal maintenance on a SW   Normal maintenance on a SW I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Normal maintenance on a SW
Page 1 of 1