Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Goodbye guys
Just a couple questions I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Yesterday at 10:58 pm

» LF extended back rest
Just a couple questions I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 4:29 pm

» noise under load
Just a couple questions I_icon_minitimeby dmosemorris Sat May 18, 2024 1:30 pm

» checking the oil
Just a couple questions I_icon_minitimeby arcamedies13 Sat May 18, 2024 9:32 am

» Ignition wires to which plug?
Just a couple questions I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Thu May 16, 2024 6:39 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
Just a couple questions I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
Just a couple questions I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
Just a couple questions I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» Left brake micro-switch
Just a couple questions I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Just a couple questions I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Just a couple questions

Go down 
+6
dspevack
Mudnman
"Hi Yo"
MikeO
ScooterBJ
4getful2
10 posters
AuthorMessage
4getful2
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
4getful2

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2013-02-23

Just a couple questions Empty
PostSubject: Just a couple questions   Just a couple questions I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2014 3:57 pm

I bought an '06 silverwing with 9000 miles on it.I used to have a yamaha majesty, the difference in driving is night and day Smile. With the silverwing, and my girlfriend on the back, we can pull up to a stop sign and not even drop a foot. WOW, what a difference Shocked 
While installing a givi backrest for her, i painted the plate, gloss black, I think i'll take it back off and repaint it semi-gloss and the side covers as well, just so it won't look so scooteresque.
For now i've still got my 750 vulcan , which is what we took our trips on.If you know anything about these, they are a lil room challenged for the passenger, with the s-wing, the footpegs are in the right spot plus she can play cards back there, HA. So I'm going to need a hitch.
Next up is trimming a bit off the top of the windshield as i find that with my height, i am looking at that line.
Could use a different set of hand grips too. The stockers seem a bit stiff.
Any comments are welcome. Thanks
Back to top Go down
ScooterBJ
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2013-11-14

PostSubject: Re: Just a couple questions   Just a couple questions I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2014 4:11 pm

4getful2 wrote:
...........I think i'll take it back off and repaint it semi-gloss and the side covers as well, just so it won't look so scooteresque.

And what is wrong with looking Scooteresque? Scooters appear as they do for some very specific reasons related to the design. If they looked like motorcycles, they would not ride, perform, or have the ease of use that distinguishes scooters. Jus' sayin'
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3798
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Just a couple questions   Just a couple questions I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2014 4:28 pm

I use Grip Puppies to soften the stock grips.

They certainly don't suit everyone but I find them good......and cheap!
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Just a couple questions 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Just a couple questions   Just a couple questions I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2014 4:36 pm

4getful2 wrote:

Next up is trimming a bit off the top of the windshield as i find that with my height, i am looking at that line.
Any comments are welcome. Thanks
  Are you happy with the seat or do you see yourself adding a cushion? Some people have added a cushion and a sheepskin and seem very happy. This might raise your line of sight. Just a thought before you start cutting. Of course you could get an adjustable windshield.     I'm good at spending other folks money, even if I don't work for the government.   Mad
Back to top Go down
Mudnman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2014-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Just a couple questions   Just a couple questions I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2014 6:26 pm

I recommend a Madstad shield & Airhawk R because the stock grips aren't gripped so tight now.Before it was a death grip for sure.Side wind gusts are still a pain.

It sounds like the height of your shield would be easy to hit something .Miss judging view because of what you can't see between looking over/through the shield.
So cutting the shield down sounds like a good idea.Or like said above "try a pad".Jeff said a gel pad at Wally World are descant ,$20.That might do the trick.
Good luck
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Just a couple questions   Just a couple questions I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2014 6:36 pm

You said you had a couple questions...but you haven't asked any...
Back to top Go down
WingMan02
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
WingMan02

Number of posts : 287
Registration date : 2012-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Just a couple questions   Just a couple questions I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2014 7:12 pm

4getful2 wrote:
I bought an '06 silverwing  with 9000 miles on it.I used to have a yamaha majesty, the difference in driving is night and day Smile. With the silverwing, and my girlfriend on the back, we can pull up to a stop sign and not even drop a foot. WOW, what a difference

Just a question... How do you balance at the stop sign without using a foot?   :lol!:
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Just a couple questions   Just a couple questions I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2014 7:41 pm

In my "neck o' the woods", it's called a "California Stop", ie, almost stopped, but not quite, and then pulling on out. Is that a close enough guess??? Smile Smile Smile 
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Just a couple questions   Just a couple questions I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2014 9:45 pm

DickO wrote:
In my "neck o' the woods", it's called a "California Stop", ie, almost stopped, but not quite, and then pulling on out.  Is that a close enough guess??? Smile Smile Smile 

DickO,

I used to live in Central Illinois like 4getful2 lives and we are trained to stop a bike, do a hand-stand on the handlebars, and accept small change from people all at the same time.  It is a gift we have.   Cool 

4getful2,

I also went from a Majesty to the Swing and found a bike difference.  I thought the Majesty was very smooth and capable on the interstate but not like the Swing.  My wife also liked the SWing so much better since the SWing has pegs and not the platform.   How does your 750 compare to the SWing on the interstate and do you think it will replace your 750? For grips I had these on my SWing and have them for my CTX700 now as well and really like them. You just put them on over your existing grips. Just spray 'hairspray' on your grips and slide them on. Mine went on in seconds.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Grab-On-Motorcycle-Comfort-Grip-Covers-fits-Honda-Pacific-Coast-ST1300-CTX700-/291042543475?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43c37cc773&vxp=mtr
Back to top Go down
4getful2
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
4getful2

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2013-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Just a couple questions   Just a couple questions I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2014 8:03 pm

Thanks for the replies.
I'll look into those grips.
The weather here hasn't been cooperating enough for any distance riding, as I've only had the machine for two weeks. We've only put about 150 miles on it, mostly fiddle-fartin' around town and a couple short two lane highway jaunts, so i can't really have an opinion about interstate travel,but i'm sure it will be fine.
I don't see me adding any type of cushion for height as i'm a bit vertically challenged to begin with Smile (5'5"-31 inseam), truth be told i cut a good inch of foam out of the majesty seat, just so it would feel right, when i put my feet down.
I've still got my vulcan, it's up for sale, not that i don't like it or there's anything wrong with it.It's just with the cost of owning and maintaining 2 bikes plus my other toys, it's too much. I still like it, runs good ,starts easy ,drives itself.
My girlfriend thought i was silly for buying another scooter....She's a lil anti-scoot.Until after riding on it awhile later she said" ya know, this alot more comfortable to ride on than the motorcycle".........."See i told ya." A lil superficial about the shiny chrome i guess.
One site that helped me decide on what machine to get was cycle-ergo.com-It's motorcycle ergonomics, You can pick a bike, enter your height and inseam,passenger too, if you like, and it will show you and tell you about the seating and hip angle of that particular machine. my first bike was an '04 800 intruder, which sitting-wise was a perfect fit for me, i went off of that and the s-wing was pretty darn close, passenger too.
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Just a couple questions   Just a couple questions I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2014 11:07 pm

I saw a 2010 Swing with 4500 miles on it nicely appointed, corbin seat, Givi trunk and windshield and BMW hand grips. These are from an RT (I think) and fit ones hand as well as any grip I have seen. These have a ribbed design and are very comfortable. Im a while I think I'll look for a set myself. Ive seen these heated as well.

I couldn't buy the 2010  as the dealer was more into game playing than selling. I am very happy with my 2011 (out of a crate) ABS model. I can add trunk and shield, can not add ABS. Most Corbin's I've sat on feel a lot like sitting on a 2 X 8.
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

PostSubject: Re: Just a couple questions   Just a couple questions I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2014 11:09 pm

Greysilver,

I have read where you need to put about 2,000 miles on a Corbin before it is really comfy. But they also usually put you a couple of inches higher as well. For my CTX700 they are 3" taller than the stock and some say it is just too much of an increase.
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Just a couple questions   Just a couple questions I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2014 11:24 pm

Great observations Jeff. The Corbin did look sharp but the $500 cost dulled things back down.

Jeff, how do I post a list of owned bikes as you have done below "ride safe"?
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

PostSubject: Re: Just a couple questions   Just a couple questions I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2014 11:28 pm

Greysilver wrote:
Great observations Jeff. The Corbin did look sharp but the $500 cost dulled things back down.

Jeff, how do I post a list of owned bikes as you have done below "ride safe"?

Greysilver,

Go to "Profile"
then "Signature"
then type in what you want in the "Edit Signature" box

Then hit "Save"

You should then go back and review one of your posts and it should populate all of the posts you made. If you have trouble than just get back to me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just a couple questions   Just a couple questions I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Just a couple questions
Page 1 of 1