Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
Returning member, a couple quick questions I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 12:04 pm

» Left brake micro-switch
Returning member, a couple quick questions I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Returning member, a couple quick questions I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
Returning member, a couple quick questions I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

» Silverwing Brakes
Returning member, a couple quick questions I_icon_minitimeby Silverwingdays Fri May 10, 2024 6:20 am

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Returning member, a couple quick questions I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Wed May 08, 2024 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
Returning member, a couple quick questions I_icon_minitimeby COMick Tue May 07, 2024 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Returning member, a couple quick questions I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Returning member, a couple quick questions I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Returning member, a couple quick questions I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Returning member, a couple quick questions

Go down 
+3
Mt440
Bash On!
Smaug
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Smaug
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Smaug

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2012-07-30

Returning member, a couple quick questions Empty
PostSubject: Returning member, a couple quick questions   Returning member, a couple quick questions I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 28, 2017 10:59 am

Former motorcyclist here. 40 years old. I've had lots of bikes, since I started riding in 2000.

I foolishly sold my Silver Wing last year I miss it.

I'm riding a 2013 Honda PCX 150 now. Great little scooter, 100 mpg. Cruises at 60, which I thought would be enough. However, when I contemplate a road trip and realize I have to ride hundreds of miles to get anywhere interesting besides Wisconsin, I start to wish I'd kept the Silverwing, which was the first truly-capable expressway scooter I've had. (I had a Burgman 400, but it was working pretty hard to go 75...)

Result is that I need to spend more money and vacation time to get somewhere interesting. For example, a 2 day ride down to the Smokies instead of a long one. (There's nothing much to see between here and there, so not much point in taking back highways) Hence, thinking about a Silverwing again.

Questions:

1) When I looked at the fuel economy entries at fuelly.com, I see that the older Silver Wings are not nearly as efficient as the newer ones. The 2009s are showing in the 60s mpg, while the older ones are in the 40s. Is this due to the O2 sensor added to the exhaust of the newer ones, or something else?

2) What year were Silver Wings always supplied with ABS?

Side note: I noticed the new Honda Forza, but I just don't feel like a 300 single would be truly expressway capable like a 582 twin. I wonder why Honda abandoned this great bike? BMW is not really a competitor, IMO, too expensive and fussy. Burgman 650 is bigger, heavier, and less efficient.

I also thought about a Piaggio BV350, but again, 330 single for the same price as a 582 twin. I like the upright seating position better on these. Too bad Honda doesn't import the SH300i here...

The Taiwanese are ramping up on the maxi-scooters: Kymco and SYM... but they're not really Honda/Yamaha/Suzuki quality, are they?
Back to top Go down
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2015-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Returning member, a couple quick questions   Returning member, a couple quick questions I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 28, 2017 11:06 am

1. Yes, that's my understanding
2. 2011, IIRC

I recently sold my PCX150.  Great little bike, but as you found, not very good on the highway.  I don't ride enough to justify two scooters (plus an old BMW /5) so I had to pick either the SW or PCX to sell.  The SW was much better on the highway and the PCX was better around town, but the SW was almost as good in that realm.

BTW, NOS 2013 Silver Wings can still be found. Dealer near me has several.
Back to top Go down
Mt440
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2017-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Returning member, a couple quick questions   Returning member, a couple quick questions I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 28, 2017 11:34 am

Smaug...I have a 2007 Swing with ABS and normally get 57 MPG running it pretty hard up and down mountain roads around Knoxville, TN. GPS indicates my speedo very optimistic however to the tune of 4 to 7 MPH. Not sure if the odometer is accurate since speedo is optimistic. I also have a 2013 Kymco Movie 150 that is my favorite ride since it is so easy to jump on and run errands. It gets about 80-90MPG and cruises at 50-55 mph pretty easy. I to have had many motorcycles but at 64 now appreciate the practicality of a scooter over that of a standard motorcycle.
Back to top Go down
Silverwingdays
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2017-06-05

PostSubject: Re: Returning member, a couple quick questions   Returning member, a couple quick questions I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 01, 2017 6:13 am

Hi Smaug, my silverwing is 2007 and has an exhaust sensor on so gets well over 60 MPG ( imperial ).

Though there are odd 2007`s about with the old set up.

I think basically with that exhaust sensor on its a better MPG bike.

They run a little less rich and Honda made a set up change for the MPGs improvemnt.

I know of a mechanic who adjusted his 2003 himself so up to 60MPG.

I nearly bought a 2004 but missed it so then got mine.

Glad I got a later model.

Best SWD
Back to top Go down
Smaug
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Smaug

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2012-07-30

PostSubject: Re: Returning member, a couple quick questions   Returning member, a couple quick questions I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 09, 2017 1:14 am

I traded my PCX150 in on a 2012 Silver Wing ABS today. Rode about 50 miles home, and took a detour to hit some twisties.

It's amazing how smooth this bike is; so well-executed!

I also test-rode a Piaggio BV350, which is AMAZINGLY quick. It easily left the Silver Wing for dead all the way up to 70 mph or so. But the surprising part is that the Silver Wing had much, much better low speed handling. Even with its long wheelbase, it is easy to maneuver at parking lot speeds. The BV350 just didn't want to turn, and you can forget about emergency avoidance maneuvers at speed.

I also picked up a a nice pair of Olympia leather wind-proof, water proof, breathable gloves and a new helmet (3rd one in a month) The hi viz HJC CL-17. Need to sell the expensive Arai Vector 2, which gives me rugburn on the ridge at the top of my forehead.
Back to top Go down
Silverwingdays
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Returning member, a couple quick questions   Returning member, a couple quick questions I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 09, 2017 6:37 am

Hi Smaug, the Silverwing sounds really great.

Enjoy, enjoy, etc.

I had heard the BV350 is a mini flying machine but a bit dodgey chasis wise.

Anyway happy new Bike.

Best SWD
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Returning member, a couple quick questions   Returning member, a couple quick questions I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 09, 2017 8:01 am

SILVERWINGDAYS wrote:

Hi bud, some of us with older machines are still waiting with eager anticpation to know how he did that.
Back to top Go down
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

Number of posts : 327
Registration date : 2017-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Returning member, a couple quick questions   Returning member, a couple quick questions I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 09, 2017 9:23 am

The Bern wrote:
SILVERWINGDAYS wrote:

Hi bud, some of us with older machines are still waiting with eager anticpation to know how he did that.

You can increase your Milage by several MPG at the sacrifice of some of your performance by Replacing your Stock Variator Weights with heavier weights. Remove your 28 Gram rollers and replace them with 30 or 32 Gram rollers or sliders. Even 28 Gram sliders will offer some improvement in MPG average, Without that noticeable loss in performance. Forty pounds air pressure in those tires will help. Using Hi test fuel preferably non Alcohol will improve Milage. Laying off that throttle also improves Milage. Personally I prefer being able to blow those Harley's off to saving a few bucks on gas.

Happy motoring Lloyd 193. swing
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

PostSubject: Re: Returning member, a couple quick questions   Returning member, a couple quick questions I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 09, 2017 11:43 am

lloyd193 wrote:
The Bern wrote:
SILVERWINGDAYS wrote:

You can increase your Milage by several MPG at the sacrifice of some of your performance by Replacing your Stock Variator Weights with heavier weights. Remove your 28 Gram rollers and replace them with 30 or 32 Gram rollers or sliders. Even 28 Gram sliders will offer some improvement in MPG average, Without that noticeable loss in performance. Forty pounds air pressure in those tires will help. Using Hi test fuel preferably non Alcohol will improve Milage. Laying off that throttle also improves Milage. Personally I prefer being able to blow those Harley's off to saving a few bucks on gas.

Happy motoring Lloyd 193. swing

Lloyd, Silverwingdays reckoned that all the mechanic did was reposition a sensor to attain 60mpg (uk) on iirc an 03 model, I'm really curious to know which sensor & where it was repositioned.
30 gram sliders might be the way for me to go, all I want is to shave a few hundred rev's off at 70-80mph
Back to top Go down
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

Number of posts : 327
Registration date : 2017-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Returning member, a couple quick questions   Returning member, a couple quick questions I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 09, 2017 5:53 pm

PP
The Bern wrote:
lloyd193 wrote:
The Bern wrote:
SILVERWINGDAYS wrote:

Happy motoring Lloyd 193.

Going to the heavier rollers or sliders will do exactly what you are looking to accomplish. Tampering with the fuel air ratio to the lean side is very dangerous, Honda has calibrated the SW to the edge of lean to get maximum fuel milage. Going leaner is flirting with holes in your pistons, I strongly advise against doing so.

Lloyd, Silverwingdays reckoned that all the mechanic did was reposition a sensor to attain 60mpg (uk) on iirc an 03 model, I'm really curious to know which sensor & where it was repositioned.
30 gram sliders might be the way for me to go, all I want is to shave a few hundred rev's off at 70-80mph

Happy mooring Lloyd 193. swing
Back to top Go down
Silverwingdays
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Returning member, a couple quick questions   Returning member, a couple quick questions I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 09, 2017 7:08 pm

Hi decided enough for me on here !!! but I will call the chap tomorrow and relate what he did before I sign off as it really is worth knowing.

That was 60mpg with slightly reduced weights as well and the plugs all checked etc as running right.

He was a nice chap I was in contact with on the phone, as he was selling his silverwing, but too far away for me at the time but we spoke a few times etc.

He got a GP800 but wished he had kept the Silverwing a bit.

Best SWD.
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

PostSubject: Re: Returning member, a couple quick questions   Returning member, a couple quick questions I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 10, 2017 2:36 pm

Earlier this afternoon SWD messaged me on the other forum, would have posted earlier but I've been sorting a mates seized centre stand, message recieved .....

Hi Bernie

You could just say, if you want to say Anything.

" Silverwingdays sends his apologies and will explain what he was trying to get at but remain polite in 2 weeks when he can post "
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Returning member, a couple quick questions   Returning member, a couple quick questions I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 10, 2017 3:07 pm

He sent me a PM here.
I can't reply since he sent it as a Guest.
In it he criticises another member for rudeness towards him in a way that can only be described in the same tone.

I have got no time for it.
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

PostSubject: Re: Returning member, a couple quick questions   Returning member, a couple quick questions I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 10, 2017 3:52 pm

Fair enough Mike, you're Admin bud, you gotta do what you think is best for the forum & it's members in general, I see reading a few related posts he has ignored member & Admin requests for a 'hello' post in the Introduction area, which as history tells us is a sure fire way to cause a degree of annoyance.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Returning member, a couple quick questions   Returning member, a couple quick questions I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 10, 2017 5:45 pm

Thank you.
Some forum members will know we went through a very difficult patch a little while ago.

I admit that I didn't handle it as well as it should have been and I know I offended a few people who are still here thank goodness and who have had the good grace to let bygones be bygones.

I enjoy being here, including being irritated from time to time, and I will leave the 'deleting' to those better balanced than I. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Returning member, a couple quick questions   Returning member, a couple quick questions I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Returning member, a couple quick questions
Page 1 of 1