Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» checking the oil
Suspension help / recommendations  I_icon_minitimeby COMick Yesterday at 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Suspension help / recommendations  I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Suspension help / recommendations  I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Suspension help / recommendations  I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Suspension help / recommendations  I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Suspension help / recommendations  I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Suspension help / recommendations  I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Suspension help / recommendations  I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Suspension help / recommendations  I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Suspension help / recommendations  I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Suspension help / recommendations

Go down 
+5
jmaslak
john grinsel
Cosmic_Jumper
ScooterBJ
marsman
9 posters
AuthorMessage
marsman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2012-02-19

Suspension help / recommendations  Empty
PostSubject: Suspension help / recommendations    Suspension help / recommendations  I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 04, 2014 7:38 pm

Hello, I have not been on the site for about a year. I have owned a 2007 Silverwing for a few years, and it is my 4th scooter. I have owned about 30 bikes over the years, including 4 scooters. I sold my V Max, ST1100, and BMW R1100RT last year.... and going to keep the Silverwing long term.

I live in Pennsylvania, roads are not the best, and want to upgrade the suspension.
I have read on the forum about
FRONT - HYPERPRO Springs.

And for rear shocks, I have found Hagons, and Wilbers. The Hagons are $244 dollars. and the WIlbers are $899,.

Does anyone have experience with either the Hagons or Wilbers.?

I don't want to be cheap, but 899 is a lot, and if the Hagons are decent, I can try those, for 600 plus dollars less.

Thanks
Marsman,
Mars Pa
Back to top Go down
ScooterBJ
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2013-11-14

PostSubject: Re: Suspension help / recommendations    Suspension help / recommendations  I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2014 7:44 am

I recently upgraded my S'Wing with a Hyperpro kit. I had done the same with my prior S'Wing and personally would not own this model of maxi if the front suspension could not be upgraded. I feel the stock suspension is sorely inadequate and many forum members have done the Hyperpro upgrade. There are also some that feel the stock fork springs are fine.

Most consider the rear suspension adequate, me included. I do not ride 2-up and generally travel light, so I have not upgraded the rear shocks. However, a decade back I did upgrade the front and rear shocks on a Helix 250 with Hagon shocks. They were basic in construction but much stronger and well built as compared to stock. I was very pleased with their performance and value.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Suspension help / recommendations    Suspension help / recommendations  I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2014 8:51 am

I surveyed the aftermarket rear shock sources awhile back. This may help: https://www.silverwing600.com/t5686-replacement-rear-shock-absorbers

Tim
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Suspension help / recommendations    Suspension help / recommendations  I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2014 10:21 am

My take after 300,000 miles on rubber band drive scooters, and my second new Silver
Wing. Bike is a scooter and actually a good one-----leave it alone....or buy a motorcycle. My rear works on #2 on the shocks/springs, I have no complaint on front==is soft but does not bottom.

Want better handling scooter try TMAX...want worse try Burgman 400(I had both)----motorcycles because of seating position (except cruisers) tend to let your body take care of bumps/shocks, etc. Scooter, the spine takes the beating.
Back to top Go down
marsman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Suspension help / recommendations    Suspension help / recommendations  I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2014 12:09 pm

Cosmic thank you for the link and I will do the front forks first and play around with the rear suspension.

John Grinsel, I respect the miles you put on your scooters, however I am not looking for advice on buying a motorcycle, I have owned close to 30. My interest is improving what I have, and I will do that.

BJ thank you for the comment on the hyperpro fork springs, and I agree with you the stock suspension is sorely lacking. My time on an R1, VFR, 2 ST1100s, a BMW R1100RT, SV 650, V Strom 650 and a few others, on the Silverwing, I want to improve the handling, but also the ride. I will do the hyperpro forks first. My wife rides the SIlverwing a couple times a year, but most time it's just me, and good report on the Hagons on the Helix. I will weigh my options on the rear shocks and go from there. Thanks fellows.
Marsman
Back to top Go down
jmaslak
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2012-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Suspension help / recommendations    Suspension help / recommendations  I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2014 12:44 pm

I would recommend before spending too much money, adjust the preload on the back a bit and see if that gets you "close enough" to what you are after - even if it feels like it's the front suspension, go ahead and try this free adjustment. Also note that there is no anti-dive valve like a big touring bike might have, so it is normal for the front to "dive" when breaking as your weight transfers forward. That said, everyone I know of that tried the Hyperpros (I haven't) up front have been extremely happy.
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Suspension help / recommendations    Suspension help / recommendations  I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2014 1:05 pm

I installed the hyperpro front springs the first year I had my SWing and loved them. It gives it a more 'motorcycle' feeling. I didn't mess with the rear since I just thought most scooters just have this kind of suspension and I didn't want to spend the$500-600 for it. I think the windshield is the first mod to do and the hyperpro's the 2nd. IMO.
Back to top Go down
marsman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Suspension help / recommendations    Suspension help / recommendations  I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2014 3:44 pm

Thanks Jeff,
The windshield is done, do you have a power commander on? I am looking at a leo vince slip on, and wondered if there were program options. Airhawk looks good, I was going to look at seats this year. I have an Aerostich sheepskin pad on now that does OK, I wanted to look at a seat. I see Russell makes one. I would like to check with guys who have a seat.

thanks again !!

Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Suspension help / recommendations    Suspension help / recommendations  I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2014 9:40 pm

I have purchased over 75 new bikes, so have some experience there. SilverWing is just fine, left alone---ain't no racer, ever----but safe transportation ridden in its design limits.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Suspension help / recommendations    Suspension help / recommendations  I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2014 10:24 pm

[quote="marsman"]<>The windshield is done, do you have a power commander on?  I am looking at a leo vince slip on, and wondered if there were program options.<>[quote]

Yes, the Power Commander has fuel map options for slip on mufflers.

Tim
Back to top Go down
marsman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Suspension help / recommendations    Suspension help / recommendations  I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 12:01 am

Tim thank you for the tip on the PC.

And thanks to the fellows for the tips. The silverwing is the last bike I have right now anyways. Over the years I had a CH80, CH150 (ran strong) a Reflex, and Majesty.

Last 4 bikes to be sold were the V Max, V65 Magna, ST1100abs, and R1100RT.

Big Bird told me a while back, "you will ride the Silverwing more and more".. and while the V4s are my favorite, 12 hour work days, and limited time on weekends, there are so few long rides each year... and Big Bird is right, I would take quick rides on the Silverwing..... so I sold all the others, and kept this one...
Put the GIVI air flow on it last year, GIVI passenger back rest, and top case, LED lights on both case and tail light.... Will get the fork springs, and Leo Vince... and probably power commander....

One guy nearby that used to be maintenance manager at the local Honda-Harley shop, put nitrous on his Silverwing... I won't do that !!

The scooty is capable, and my pal up North in Canada, Big Bird is right.... I have ridden it more and more.....
Perhaps 1 more bike down the road, just no time to use all the stuff..... and wife has been wanting a Z06 Corvette.... she wants it...... LOL
Marsman
Back to top Go down
Winger61
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Winger61

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2010-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Suspension help / recommendations    Suspension help / recommendations  I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 5:15 am

john grinsel wrote:
SilverWing is just fine, left alone---ain't no racer, ever----but safe transportation ridden in its design limits.
Wise words - I absolutely agree.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Suspension help / recommendations    Suspension help / recommendations  I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 5:56 am

I agree too, I can't see the point of changing stuff like fork springs, rear shocks etc on a maxi scooter for use on what seems like dry days only in a 6 month "riding season". The standard Honda rear shocks on my Silver Wing are set to 5 for me, Mrs M, and all our gear when we go off on touring holidays and it's set and forget. The same settings should work just as good for a heavier solo rider.

If they don't, my suspension recommendation is lose a few inches off your waistline, it's cheaper and healthier.
Back to top Go down
ScooterBJ
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Never "off the rack"   Suspension help / recommendations  I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 8:28 am

I have never been an "Off the rack" kind of person. Fit, comfort, performance, etc., etc., can almost always be improved per my view. Besides, I enjoy the challenge of changing, improving and personalizing a vehicle, almost as much as using it. There is also the challenge of doing this without lowering the resale value.

Take for example the Gold Wing. It's evolution was directly related to the modifications, and upgrades, touring riders had performed on their bikes. Honda watched, attended rallies and meets, and then took these mods to the design table, thus taking a large standard bike and transforming it into the most highly regarded large tourer.

Whether it is foot pegs, fork springs, or something as simple as handgrips, I will always be modding and upgrading. It must run in the family -- my wife has been trying to mod and upgrade me for YEARS.
 chickendance 

However, I don't think Honda is listening to us on the S'Wing.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Suspension help / recommendations    Suspension help / recommendations  I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 8:58 am

It might just be my view, but UK owners of older Gold Wings especially the GL1500 tend to ruin the look of them decking them out with acres of useless US import chrome bling, extra lights, flags, teddy bears, and the standard issue big lass sat on the back.  Smile 
Back to top Go down
marsman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Suspension help / recommendations    Suspension help / recommendations  I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 9:11 am

Meldrew from the land of fish and chips, (Fried of course), before dispensing advice or making the assumption or far leap in logic that because someone wants to improve their scooter or motorcycle for that matter, that they should lose weight? or in your words. "lose a few inches off the waistline".

For general health advice, I will look to a fitness expert or nutrition expert.... not someone from across the pond without any better option to offer - other than to deduce, that if you have a silverwing and want to improve your suspension, then you must be a lard a**.
Not that I disagree, health and fitness are important, I work out 6 days a week, including intervals, and still do bench sets with 225 pounds that is, and in mid to late 50s, so I am fit, and I don't need to lose inches off the waist ... and I still want to improve the Silverwing.

So have some fish and chips, and a pint of ale or whatever else they drink over there, I am off to the gym.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Suspension help / recommendations    Suspension help / recommendations  I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 10:30 am

Good luck, of course we all eat nothing but fish and chips and drink warm beer, we all talk like Dick Van Dyke's ”Cockney" chimney sweep in Mary Poppins too.  What we don't do is deep fry whole turkeys, eat sandwiches as thick as a phone book, and have chronically obese people who have to be winched out of their homes by their local Fire Department. As for lardasses, I was quite surprised by the number of them stuffing their faces and riding their riding mobility scooters on holiday at Walt Disney World in Florida. You've way ahead of us in the obesity statistics, care to dispute that fact too?  Smile 

I've never understood this urge to change things there's nothing wrong with. Like I said earlier about riding two up and fully loaded there's no problem I can find that needs improving, so you might care to explain why it needs improving instead of going into testosterone mode. I couldn't care less what you lift at the gym either it's irrelevant. You're riding the Silver Wing not carrying it.

I'm going to ride in the popular bikers playground of the Harz Mountains in Germany again later this year, and I'll be in the minority on my maxi scooter among the dozens of leather clad sports bike riders hooning around on the roads there. I'll probably be the only maxi rider staying at the bikers hotel I regularly use. If I didn't have confidence in the abilities of my bog standard Silver Wing in the Harz and Kyffhäuser Mountains I wouldn't be going.
Back to top Go down
ScooterBJ
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Suspension help / recommendations    Suspension help / recommendations  I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 11:18 am

Easy boys, I think we were talking about suspension. Our cultures all have issues and stereotypes -- luckily, as otherwise we would be damn boring.
 :lol!:
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Suspension help / recommendations    Suspension help / recommendations  I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 11:52 am

Yeah, as BJ said, we are just talking about mods on a SWing. If you want to mod, and I did to mine, then mod away. If not just keep it stock.
Back to top Go down
WingMan02
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
WingMan02

Number of posts : 287
Registration date : 2012-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Suspension help / recommendations    Suspension help / recommendations  I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 2:01 am

JeffR_ wrote:
Yeah, as BJ said, we are just talking about mods on a SWing.  If you want to mod, and I did to mine, then mod away.  If not just keep it stock.

+!. I believe a lot of us enjoy tinkering with our rides. That is what we are. It may not improve anything. It may just add bling, but that is my bling. Nobody has to like it but me. I did a mod to my forks that I read about here on this forum. I have decided to undo the fork mod, which was to install a taller spacer. It did stop the bike from diving on a hard front brake, but I did not like the rough jolt I got when hitting a pot hole, or an uneven pavement. I do not regret making the change. I just like to tinker and learn something about my ride. I will put back the OEM spacer, but keep the 15w fork oil.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Suspension help / recommendations    Suspension help / recommendations  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Suspension help / recommendations
Page 1 of 1