Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
Time for new shocks; any recommendations I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Today at 4:29 pm

» Goodbye guys
Time for new shocks; any recommendations I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Today at 4:27 pm

» noise under load
Time for new shocks; any recommendations I_icon_minitimeby dmosemorris Yesterday at 1:30 pm

» checking the oil
Time for new shocks; any recommendations I_icon_minitimeby arcamedies13 Yesterday at 9:32 am

» Ignition wires to which plug?
Time for new shocks; any recommendations I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Thu May 16, 2024 6:39 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
Time for new shocks; any recommendations I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
Time for new shocks; any recommendations I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
Time for new shocks; any recommendations I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» Left brake micro-switch
Time for new shocks; any recommendations I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Time for new shocks; any recommendations I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Time for new shocks; any recommendations

Go down 
+2
Marvincon
Cosmic_Jumper
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 393
Registration date : 2020-03-11

Time for new shocks; any recommendations Empty
PostSubject: Time for new shocks; any recommendations   Time for new shocks; any recommendations I_icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2020 8:25 pm

Sadly my newly acquired Swing has developed another leak, this time from both rear shocks. Clearly the seals have failed in these and I understand them to be unserviceable.

From a bit of web searching, it appears that my choices are limited to OEM, YSS, Hagon or Ohlins. Not sure my budget stretches to Swedish gold, so I wondered if any forum members can share their experiences with YSS or Hagon, as these appear to be pretty similar in price (and quite a bit less than OEM).
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Time for new shocks; any recommendations   Time for new shocks; any recommendations I_icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2020 8:49 pm

Ikon shocks made down under. They are a bit shorter than stock. 25 MM or so. Rebuildable if something should fail. If spring is right ride height will be the same. US. price $520 0R so.
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

PostSubject: Re: Time for new shocks; any recommendations   Time for new shocks; any recommendations I_icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2020 9:12 pm

Mech 1 twa wrote:
Ikon shocks made down under.  They are a bit shorter than stock.  25 MM or so. Rebuildable if something should fail.   If spring is right ride height will be the same.  US.  price $520 0R so.  

Thanks for that, I will make contact with them. The price looks to be a lttle more than the Hagons but they are sort of local (aside from being in a different country) and the adjustability/rebuildability is appealing.

Are you recommending these based on your personal experience, and if so what can you say about them?
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Time for new shocks; any recommendations   Time for new shocks; any recommendations I_icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2020 11:40 pm

Here is a link to Gavin Davies’ excellent post on his modified shocks.https://www.silverwing600.com/t10465-new-hagon-rear-shocks-jacked-up-and-centre-stand-mod#106322

And a link to aftermarket rear shock absorbers post.
https://www.silverwing600.com/t5686-rear-shock-absorbers#118866

Last edited by Cosmic_Jumper on Mon May 04, 2020 9:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Marvincon
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Marvincon

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2019-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Time for new shocks; any recommendations   Time for new shocks; any recommendations I_icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2020 4:54 am

Make sure you fit them the correct way up Smile
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Time for new shocks; any recommendations   Time for new shocks; any recommendations I_icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2020 7:44 am

I never used Ikon shocks but was going to buy a set just never did. I don't know of anyone here who ever tried them either. Just showing another option.

Most buy Hagons and like them. No US dealer anymore so the price is higher for them now.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 999
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Time for new shocks; any recommendations   Time for new shocks; any recommendations I_icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2020 12:21 pm

Terry I went with Hagons a couple of years back. Highly recommended, cost about £170 and fitted them myself, and that was a laugh!
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

PostSubject: Re: Time for new shocks; any recommendations   Time for new shocks; any recommendations I_icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2020 4:51 pm

Thanks all for the replies. The Ikons will cost me 50% more than the Hagons and I've already overspent on this do-up project, so Hagons it is. Thanks for the feedback. I will try to ensure I install the shocks the correct way up; at least with them coming from the UK, I will not need to convert them for left hand drive...
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Time for new shocks; any recommendations   Time for new shocks; any recommendations I_icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2020 6:03 am

Remember to read the installation instructions upsidedown and you'll be fine.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1570
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Time for new shocks; any recommendations   Time for new shocks; any recommendations I_icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2020 6:12 am

Terry, have a look at the topic 'Front and Rear Grief !!! Ouch. YSS Shocks ???' on this forum.

It's quite lengthy and diverse but it might give you some ideas as you go along.

EDIT: https://www.silverwing600.com/t10055-front-and-rear-grief-ouch-yss-shocks
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

PostSubject: Re: Time for new shocks; any recommendations   Time for new shocks; any recommendations I_icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2020 11:58 pm

My Hagon shocks arrived today, had great service from Hagon UK and suprisingly quick shipping with UPS around the world.

I managed to swap the stock shocks out and get the Hagons fitted up in about 40 minutes with no rear end disassembly. I read here somewhere that an offset ring spanner would work on the top mounts and that was absolutely the case; it was a bit fiddly/blind but better than pulling the luggage box out.

I'm looking forward to a test ride on these later today.

Time for new shocks; any recommendations ZJkSw6dWpwyWVG1lgY021fXWzN8sq5ycUmgy8hFpcRBrfbZ8jcX7fik567-vGxoI48tTElnPfaEOcDWr1TulaTT5yxFDicHefLxRS7sHeFVtgPhRe6-3eQDjgrknJQi1fn1JDVux9XU5oplFtyoUaeS0NWzJNslEOPhv_rWxZaG_d-PteH812Wc1K-p_WWxNDZy2riONy7jz5h6F8FZAG171n86P7ADmo7gR9R02DxeyreL2x1-4Bde_MqWp7ijZ-rGAuqUTQRaU1SH98nBqHtRP8HrnBJx1v1RgM_imm0B-U4Qv-aYAe-MZYzU-COwVnWsPOmi1lfaXt2gngunAFxlyzuTyrYwLYyMNkJ6HqPUen0JZNy3vlyxzlRGq-awhNmyqtjRkL7RFgC7vMYl_0MI3iB7T6YbHWXJDok1w7LY4-VEuuDFMonFmnSlEMmqYl9sZLLG5xYmlraWduNh6kLCnMmQRFfs0hShpda3Iu681uFCvxJgKh96wVepnmV_M7IOyabxt3hl67q4woBVUA7i8tzfYhPqRp101teO4TLNp2cYNztqe1JDJRYkDMwMRc3Y592Izm3ZXF3A9dBhpcMi-W5SUL9elybQ66PUBCv6RcH_X8TJMKWpdYL05QbWrS1y7kKvuTNtaUOIfQRQ30Cu7LU_oSJP0lWlI_RpRML1om4Lg6mR4uCcIhzHYHQ=w1101-h1467-no?authuser=0

Also received a new screen, this one is an MRA-R screen in light tint. As I had no screen before, this is a big improvement but don't ask me to tell you how it performs compared to stock! Fitted very nicely.

Time for new shocks; any recommendations L6LfcHXXNjWBVL9WRZVFHDh22eCRyJxmLVDA-y8syna1QmDOhwAINqwVVKLIcujsPMtDCwecxIG9w6p18_GidHGpR4h7o3-my7MDKyfJshFtkhRoLgeo26eYhHeinDTsc0SrIjjBO_PoNrt32wTpfBN5JTCMW27anKKhj62B3ql7B1pDtD1oZFJfaN0s4H8pDUcltZhQzd0hdb_lXHW-SJVihW_iu_H4XhU0yYciTSNnzzbXnIDUUnSEqagG9gJkkYR8-xlLWSmjVRVKhMFJuOd3KloW6IgIrIrZoQovH308i2wv_CEIdbOx_o-v31B0tPK2bhc5H_-E5TDnZ9lqmtfRqeqKzpnzjR7paRjtyLUj6fqOP39lfiLH-aGqsUwpN-dHpsn-w3PUSVPSVrkzpDbgjhaxVpuu-PDP2tjerBktAZ5V7YcxmatWl65KoPOVl3SwJQoYTzo3DxD-scPlqh6zpXwqZOU2_Bg-f3M7fJbpCaIYLCBgPWIrr9se5UpiBX_aV1g735Hz1XD6aPhTzdFooNXgBZ2NCJUS4e9xXOR7uXzzmdGAdX5ow6WafLlIYewhTyCZ1AvmWY-K7VWXK4x8mWUpK9ZLvYNi_yA40L50lPwMsAcnDg9_XPgRa2qdXjA4SFg9jHsfcl79JGgIFeWNz9G1JTnfhb1HvMOoIJOwf7PK0Ax6bZlCkIWEdg=w1958-h1467-no?authuser=0

I'm still waiting on delayed parts so I can finish getting the bike roadworthy, it needs a stator and then I can fix the oil leak on the right engine cover. Still, I'm happy with the progress.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1570
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Time for new shocks; any recommendations   Time for new shocks; any recommendations I_icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2020 9:41 am

Terry, I'm amazed. I took the whole rear end apart to do my shocks, but also to cut a hole each side of the under seat container thing. This leaves access for the future.

While I had the whole back end exposed I tested the gap required to remove the upper shock bolt and realised that it couldn't work, there simply wasn't enough room.

Well done that man thumbs up
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Time for new shocks; any recommendations   Time for new shocks; any recommendations I_icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2020 2:52 pm

Ah you bloody wuss Terry. You've missed out on the fun and excitement of dismantling the entire backend, trying to get the battery box off and back on again, losing assorted nuts and bolts, forgetting to install things in the right order and having to start over, minor injuries and major maiming, the need to invent an entire new lexicon of swear words... I could go on.
Oh sure, the works done and the bike up and running in no time. But is your life richer for the experience? I suspect not.
😆
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

PostSubject: Re: Time for new shocks; any recommendations   Time for new shocks; any recommendations I_icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2020 4:23 am

Loosemarbles wrote:
Terry, I'm amazed. I took the whole rear end apart to do my shocks, but also to cut a hole each side of the under seat container thing. This leaves access for the future.

While I had the whole back end exposed I tested the gap required to remove the upper shock bolt and realised that it couldn't work, there simply wasn't enough room.

Well done that man thumbs up

The shock bolts on my bike are pretty short, with 12mm of thread. There was ample room for these to slip right out. My bike is a Japanese domestic model so maybe they changed things for the later export models?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Time for new shocks; any recommendations   Time for new shocks; any recommendations I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Time for new shocks; any recommendations
Page 1 of 1