Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Last ride of the season I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» Drive belt prices
Last ride of the season I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 8:28 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Last ride of the season I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Last ride of the season I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:16 pm

» New to Me Swing
Last ride of the season I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
Last ride of the season I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Yesterday at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
Last ride of the season I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Last ride of the season I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
Last ride of the season I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Last ride of the season I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Last ride of the season

Go down 
+19
trouble1100
Magoo Triker
jamestanker
tinman
Gyro
Meldrew
Tamjay
"Hi Yo"
Mike from NS
Old Limey
CathyN
Darkeswinger
WingMan02
trishc
model28a
GHM-PM
bigbird
hardee41
cotetoi
23 posters
AuthorMessage
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

Last ride of the season Empty
PostSubject: Last ride of the season   Last ride of the season I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 22, 2013 8:59 pm

I am getting ready to lay up the Swing for the winter. I have a 2000 ACE that I will keep into November and December if the weather allows. I have to put the Swing in my shed, and I prefer to do it soon rather than wait for the white stuff to fly.
It is a tight fit in there , but you could swing a 2x4x8 easily, so the Swing will fit. I am going to build a movable contraption with caster wheels and put it on there and manouver it in position. The ACE has a spot in my neighbor's garage, so I can wait on that one for a bit.
How late do you guys and gals ride ? I wish for year-round but it is not practical, and can become very expensive to get outfitted properly and still not have the weather for riding. Winter can be a challenge.
Back to top Go down
hardee41
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
hardee41

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2013-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Last ride of the season   Last ride of the season I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 22, 2013 9:32 pm

First snow here today; N.E. Ia. S-wing time getting short but will be back in the 50's this week end. Time for the skis . harley
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Last ride of the season   Last ride of the season I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 22, 2013 10:00 pm

cotetoi wrote:

How late do you guys and gals ride ?
Generally I don't winterize before Halloween. We've had a crappy cold and wet last 7 days, temps haven't cracked 4C. The weekend looks more promising, 8C and sunny. I'll wait until the bitter end of Fall. I already have fresh premium gas in the tank, all I need to do is change the oil and filter and pull the battery. My Swing sleeps in the attached double garage. It's unheated, but the lowest temp I've ever seen in there is -8C.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Last ride of the season   Last ride of the season I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 22, 2013 10:15 pm

I spend the winters in Arizona so I am forced to keep my SWing ready-to-ride Sad  It is a tough job but I feel obligated to soldier on while the rest of you can rest your machines. The things I do for you guys on here...

When I was in WA usually winterize toward the first part of November; I couldn't always ride that long but gave it the benefit of the doubt.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Last ride of the season   Last ride of the season I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 22, 2013 11:33 pm

I will put my Silverwing up at the first sign of snow. I swear I will. In fact if I see any snow I won't even go outside. Heck I'll even go on a hunger strike until the snow is gone.  :rendeer:sunny
Back to top Go down
trishc
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
trishc

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2013-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Last ride of the season   Last ride of the season I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 23, 2013 12:02 am

Fortunately for me my riding season is just beginning. Except the last week down here. It has been very wet and gale force winds, with top temperatures on average 14 degrees. I pray for all my friends battling the New South Wales Bush Fires near Lithgow and New Castle, you will all be in my thoughts. With very high temperatures and gale force winds there today.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Last ride of the season   Last ride of the season I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 23, 2013 12:41 am

model28a wrote:
I will put my Silverwing up at the first sign of snow. I swear I will. In fact if I see any snow I won't even go outside. Heck I'll even go on a hunger strike until the snow is gone.  :rendeer:sunny
You like to rub salt in our wounds, don't you Roger?
I still have a very vivid memory of working on your Swing in the garage that warm sunny January day.
I wish I were coming down to St. Pete again this winter.
Back to top Go down
WingMan02
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
WingMan02

Number of posts : 287
Registration date : 2012-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Last ride of the season   Last ride of the season I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 23, 2013 3:20 am

model28a wrote:
Snow? Wats dat?:lol!:
Back to top Go down
Darkeswinger
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Darkeswinger

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2010-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Last ride of the season   Last ride of the season I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 23, 2013 9:07 am

Woke up to an inch of snow in the grass today. Roads are clear, but wet, temp around 36F. The Swing is covered in the garage, but it will come back out in a moments notice if the conditions are right. I usually put some stabilizer in the tank, and keep the tender on the battery, but never plan for hibernation, just in case.
Back to top Go down
CathyN
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2010-11-15

PostSubject: Re: Last ride of the season   Last ride of the season I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 23, 2013 8:37 pm

Weather is changing here. Low 30's in the morning all week. Rode to work Monday. Bob and I rode 210 miles this last weekend. He's working on his first 600 miles on his new GS. 60 more to go. He got it Oct. 12th. We should be able to do that this weekend. It should warm up to the low 50's.

Planning on riding in the the annual Toys for Tots Parade on Dec. 1st. Weather permitting. I will be joining the Scoot Jockeys Chicago group that day.

Learned about them from here when Scootergrl joined last week. Met up with some of them last weekend. Nice group of people.

We should still have some more nice days ahead of us. Just not this week.
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Last ride of the season   Last ride of the season I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 23, 2013 9:35 pm

Went for a 270 km run today with the guys. Saint John to Oromocto and back. Great weather, sunny but cool to cold. 10C. I had 4 layers on, comfortable but eventually the cold seeps in and you don't know it. Forecast calling for cooler temperatures for the next 2 weeks. Not looking too good. Will only go for short coffee runs. We go for coffee runs all the time: except the coffee shop could be in the next city or province. lolol.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Last ride of the season   Last ride of the season I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 24, 2013 2:08 pm

You see, you sometimes are scathing about England but, we will be riding(well i will) all through winter. The only time we cannot, is if the snow is too deep to get to the main roads. Iam having a spot of trouble with the Silverwing just now ,so iam riding my Burgman 400. Apart from the persistant rain we are having it is still quite mild for the time of year, and we don't mind the rain,  that is normal for us even in summer.Smile 
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Last ride of the season   Last ride of the season I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 24, 2013 5:53 pm

Our forecast is crap for the next 2 weeks. Temps barely reaching freezing during the day and lows around -5C. I fear I've already taken my last ride of the season. I'll likely do my winter lay-up this weekend and be done with it until next April. That's 5 long months. Sad. Crying or Very sad 
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

Number of posts : 462
Registration date : 2013-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Last ride of the season   Last ride of the season I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 24, 2013 7:34 pm

Cotetoi,
How far north are you in NB?  Oh ... noticed you are near St John. Flurries possible tonight near Edmundston. Keep the chains handy !!  What size is the shed you will store the S'Wing in for the winter.  I have a small shed which I think is too small but almost worth emptying to try the fit. The shed is plan "B" anyway. Plan "A" takes more effort with windshield & mirror removal.  Time to wax the skis !
Mike
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Last ride of the season 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Last ride of the season   Last ride of the season I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 24, 2013 8:07 pm

My last ride this year will probably be in a couple of months. Then I can start on next year. bounce  Laughing  bounce 
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

PostSubject: Re: Last ride of the season   Last ride of the season I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 25, 2013 12:05 am

"Hi Yo" I'm with you. I will ride my last ride of the year the day before I ride my first ride of next year.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Last ride of the season 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Last ride of the season   Last ride of the season I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 25, 2013 12:19 am

small moped  small moped  small moped MIDNIGHT small moped  small moped  small moped 
Back to top Go down
Tamjay
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Tamjay

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2010-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Last ride of the season   Last ride of the season I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 25, 2013 3:24 am

I was on holiday in California a few weeks ago and when we got to Mammoth Lakes it snowed overnight - and that was in the middle of September!!

Laurie
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Last ride of the season   Last ride of the season I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 25, 2013 4:58 am

There isn't a "riding season" in my book, you either ride in winter because road conditions allow it, you have the right clothing and attitude, and you want to, or none of that applies and you don't.

I don't particularly enjoy winter riding and never have, even though I've attended some winter camping rallies. The biggest hassle for me is the inevitable long washing and cleaning session at home after riding on salted roads.

Last edited by Meldrew on Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Last ride of the season   Last ride of the season I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 25, 2013 8:42 am

Hey, Mike. We probably get very similar weather. I generally keep the ride ready to go. This year I have a problem because I now have two. The ACE used to sleep in the neighbour's garage. He does have room for two, but he's not offering it yet, and I hesitate to impose on him. My shed is big enough for either, but the step is about 18 ins off the ground. So, it means a lot of grunting and cursing to get the bike in: either one.
The forecast is calling for lower than normal temps for 2 weeks; and 4 week deer season starts Monday. I have ridden into December, in 2010. My first season of riding, didn't want to stop !!!!
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Last ride of the season   Last ride of the season I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 25, 2013 8:44 am

Another note: no riding if the snow stays on the ground for 2 or more days. Definitely no riding if the salt trucks go out.
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Last ride of the season   Last ride of the season I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 25, 2013 8:50 am

In my younger days, I lived in England for 8 years: 3 in Northampton and 5 in NorthWest London: I am well acquainted with English weather. I remember traffic coming to a standstill in London in 1977 after a half-inch of snow. No snow tyres and at every roundabout the merging traffic lost traction if they stopped to give way...lolol fun ride, took me 4 hours to go from Park Royal to Watford, 40 minutes in rush-hour traffic. Old Limey, if you ride year-round in Lancashire you are doing really well.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

PostSubject: Re: Last ride of the season   Last ride of the season I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 25, 2013 1:44 pm

As Meldrew says you either ride, or you don't. I get very edgey if i go more than three days without riding. No matter what the weather if i want to ride, i dress accordingly and go. If it is really cold(and nowhere near as cold, as you get in North America) i plug in my heated vest, insoles and gloves and always enjoy the ride. Laughing 
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Last ride of the season   Last ride of the season I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 25, 2013 2:34 pm

Old Limey wrote:
I get very edgey if i go more than three days without riding.  
I can't imagine how edgy you'd be after the approx 150 days that I can't ride. affraid 
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Last ride of the season   Last ride of the season I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 25, 2013 5:46 pm

Well, what do you know. After my post this morning, I piled on 4 layers of clothing and safety gear and went to the US border in Calais, Maine to pick up the light connector that I ordered from Dennis B, and my mirror extenders and spotlights from EBay. It was cold, windy and sunny when I left home at 1100. Made it to Calais by 1210. I thought I had landed in Florida: warm, sunny, light breeze and quite nice. It took a coffee and sandwich to thaw me out. The ride back was way nicer. 170 km, 10 litres of gas. Not bad, considering I pushed 120 kmh at times.
I know what Old Limey means getting edgy when not riding..I had to work the edge off this morning.
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

PostSubject: Re: Last ride of the season   Last ride of the season I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 26, 2013 7:24 am

The change of season is a difficult thing when you have to put equipment away --- and you are not ready to do so.  Suddenly the realization come to you , "yup ... it is time !"  I have a small speed boat which I hated to put away each year.... just hated the thought of looking at it and not being able to go for a run.  Cotetoi ... you know Bedford Basin ?  Great place for a speed boat on a sunny fall morning with no wind.  But each year my indicator that haul-out time has arrived was the day that I had to scrape the frost from the windshield to see where I was going.   It is funny how cold the water became when that decision was finally made !  LOL !  I'm too knew to the scooter world to appreciate the edgy feeling fully .... I'm sure this will happen with a summer's riding behind me !  It is 0°C here now .... brrrrrrr
Mike
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Last ride of the season   Last ride of the season I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 26, 2013 5:13 pm

I feel for you, Mike. It was not that cold here today, but there is a certain tipping point in the scale where your body tells you to bundle up or stay indoors. Every year, that tipping point stretches by a few degrees. Some cold days I want to surrender and hibernate, but it only lasts a few hours, then I find myself bundling up and going out, bones and joints creaking. Not ready for it just yet; I know it's coming soon enough.
Back to top Go down
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2013-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Last ride of the season   Last ride of the season I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 29, 2013 9:58 am

There's still some good riding days here in S.E. Kansas. I rode the S'wing to pick my wife up from work last night, then we rode it to dinner at a restaurant on the other side of town and followed that up with a trip to an ice cream parlor. We stopped and did a little shopping on the way home. It was fully dark when we got home, but still not uncomfortably cold.

It's raining today. The next three days are supposed to be wet and dreary followed by three or four days of sunny days in the upper 60's. I call this yo-yo weather because of the way it goes up and down radically every few days. Soon, it will turn cold and stay cold. In the meantime, I will ride when I can.
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Last ride of the season   Last ride of the season I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 29, 2013 10:47 am

How many miles did you put on your trike? Did you instal your Hercules tire on yet ? How much time to remove your trike kit for rear tire change?
Back to top Go down
jamestanker
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2013-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Last ride of the season   Last ride of the season I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 29, 2013 11:23 pm

I just rode mine 840 miles from D.C. to Daytona overnight! While it was cold it wasnt that bad! I have experienced worse riding snowmobiles in Canada Smile
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Last ride of the season   Last ride of the season I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 30, 2013 12:46 am

jamestanker wrote:
I have experienced worse riding snowmobiles in Canada  Smile
I have frozen more riding on 2 wheels than I ever have on snowmobiles. The wind protection is far superior on a snowmobile than on any Silverwing or bike.
Back to top Go down
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2013-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Last ride of the season   Last ride of the season I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 30, 2013 7:15 am

tinman wrote:
How many miles did you put on your trike? Did you instal your Hercules tire on yet ? How much time to remove your trike kit for rear tire change?
We've rode about 3,500 miles since purchasing the trike in April.

The tire questions are answered over in the Darkside forum. Smile 
Not necessary to remove the kit - just one RH body panel on the kit.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Last ride of the season   Last ride of the season I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 02, 2013 2:34 pm

Today was it.
Rode 30 km out on the highway to get the oil nice and hot and circulate the premium fuel with Sta-Bil added.
The air temp was 3C.
On return, I changed the oil and filter, pulled the battery, and now in hibernation.
Back to top Go down
Magoo Triker
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Magoo Triker

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2013-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Last ride of the season   Last ride of the season I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 02, 2013 9:32 pm

Cold winters have been out of my life for 13 years now...  We ride daily here in Florida and enjoy it even more in the winter...LOL

I have a Voyager Trike kit on my Wing and had a new rear tire put on just before my 5 weeks of riding several states and over 4,000 miles and the kit was not removed.  If it is removed it takes about 5 minutes.

Magoo Triker
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Last ride of the season   Last ride of the season I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 06, 2013 8:13 am

I have managed to put the ACE in the shed with the help of my son. I have a bike lift for it, so it is quite maneuverable inside. The Swing is on duty until the weather really turns. Some warmer days still left yet. It will go to my neighbor's garage. Today seems really fine for a ride.
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Last ride of the season   Last ride of the season I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 07, 2013 9:34 am

My last ride for this year was to Oromocto. That was it; couldn't get out yesterday even though the weather was perfect. It is blowing a gale today, and I put the Swing in the neighbor's garage, out of the salt spray we get off the Bay of Fundy. Weather looks to be getting much colder and I am getting older, so no freezing rides this year. I'll pull the battery out and take the seat off and bring them in for the winter. I coat my vinyl in lots of vaseline and keep them in black plastic bags. It seems to help keep them supple.
Back to top Go down
trouble1100
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
trouble1100

Number of posts : 341
Registration date : 2010-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Last ride of the season   Last ride of the season I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 07, 2013 10:07 am

NO! I REFUSE TO STOP RIDING FOR THE SEASON CHANGE !!!!!
Last ride of the season Phfc7d13
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

PostSubject: Re: Last ride of the season   Last ride of the season I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 07, 2013 4:18 pm

trouble1100, except for the cool nights that looks like the forecast here too.
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

PostSubject: Re: Last ride of the season   Last ride of the season I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 3:38 pm

Well since this is the first year I had to put a scooter to bed for a long winter's nap, I wondered if it would be a sad time or not.  It is actually a bit sad but it is good to know she's to bed in a dry environment.  Yesterday was my "last ride" of the year and it was a short one too.  Cold with snow in the air, as Tim will agree.  It was off to the gas station for the winter fill and for a short ride in Bedford.  Passing the BBYC it was thought to be a good location for some pictures of the cold windy Bedford Basin.  If the boats are wrapped up - then maybe the scooter should be as well.  But soon we will be out on the ski hills !!!
Last ride of the season Photo0377_zps51a0d4d9

Last ride of the season Photo0374_zpsedda80c6

Last ride of the season Photo0375_zps89980506

Last ride of the season Photo0376_zpsbb017166

brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr,

All the best to you all !

Mike

Last edited by Mike from NS on Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
lalee
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2013-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Last ride of the season   Last ride of the season I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 26, 2013 12:50 pm

Here, I ride every day to school and back on the Swing. My riding coat is water proof and on really rainy days, I use my scooter skirt/blanket. I stay off the streets when it freezes and snows, but we don't get that many days of it here.

If I suit up for a leisure ride this time of year, I wear my electric coat liner and electric gloves. Toasty warm.
Back to top Go down
paulc
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2013-11-10

PostSubject: Re: Last ride of the season   Last ride of the season I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 26, 2013 2:17 pm

I too ride all year round, only taking car in snow and ice. Last year I missed three days for really icy snow weather. I travel to workplaces as well as for fun, and hate it when I need to use the car. Then when Spring comes, I think about rideouts and stuff...
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Last ride of the season   Last ride of the season I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 26, 2013 3:56 pm

I've always ridden all year round and didn't have a car until my 40’s so I've done plenty of winters relying on just two wheels to get me to work and play. So I don't hate it at all having the choice of a car,  I've had my share of riding in winter conditions, going to work in ice and snow, the pain of circulation returning to frozen fingers in my early days, the occasional off on icy roads and boiling inside a bulky winter suit after the exertion of picking myself and the bike back up, the broken fairings and screens, the constant battle against road salt corrosion, and all the hassle of everyday winter riding.

Now I'm selective about when I ride during the winter, I'll go out for a decent ride and allow enough time for a good cleaning session back at home. I've seen too many alloy casings go from silver to furry grey on our salty roads.
Back to top Go down
Sknrdtec
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Sknrdtec

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2012-11-28

PostSubject: Re: Last ride of the season   Last ride of the season I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 26, 2013 7:56 pm

furry Smile 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Last ride of the season   Last ride of the season I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 27, 2013 10:04 am

Meldrew wrote:
Now I'm selective about when I ride during the winter, I'll go out for a decent ride and allow enough time for a good cleaning session back at home. I've seen too many alloy casings go from silver to furry grey on our salty roads.
You'll need an even longer cleaning session riding on the roads to your house at the moment. The scooter was covered in crap after my last visit, the builders want to get their finger out and get the top dressing on the roads.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

PostSubject: Re: Last ride of the season   Last ride of the season I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 27, 2013 2:15 pm

I was out on Saturday Brubaker, Meldrew knows my Haunts, i just clean the windscreen and my lights and mirrors and rear number plate, mostly . I was at Southport for my Wednesday run today. Iam loving this weather, nobody on the roads but me. Only me at Southport, and in the summer you can't find a place to park, still not cold enough for my heated gear yet. Gets dark about 3.30pm so Her indoors gets a bit anxious if I'm still out.Smile 
Back to top Go down
CathyN
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2010-11-15

PostSubject: Re: Last ride of the season   Last ride of the season I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 05, 2013 12:12 am

Looks like I took my last ride for the season last Sunday. Bob and I rode in the Toys For Tots Ride with 12 other scoots from Scoot Jockeys Chicago. Dry and Mid forties. Nice ride. They said there was 20,000 bikes in the parade. Rode down Western Ave in Chicago for about 15 miles then went to brunch with some of the group. This was my first TFTR. Bob has done it several times. The U.S. Marines have been sponsoring this charity ride here since 1978.

We are looking at some pretty cold weather starting tomorrow. If we get a really nice day with no snow, ice or tons of salt on the road and I am not working I will probably go for a ride. It has been known to happen here.

Texas looks like they are in for some nasty weather tomorrow. Stay safe.
Back to top Go down
Scootergrl
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Scootergrl

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2013-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Last ride of the season   Last ride of the season I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 05, 2013 12:54 pm

Cathy, don't put your heated gear away yet. We (Chicago) may get a couple of sunny (maybe not warm) that we can still ride. I have to get my money's worth out of the heated gear I bought santa 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last ride of the season   Last ride of the season I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Last ride of the season
Page 1 of 1