Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Sinko De Mayo
Serviceing I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 3:33 pm

» May 2024 forum picture
Serviceing I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 10:44 am

» checking the oil
Serviceing I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Serviceing I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Serviceing I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Serviceing I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Serviceing I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Serviceing I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Serviceing I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Serviceing I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Serviceing

Go down 
+7
MikeO
Old Limey
"Hi Yo"
GHM-PM
dspevack
eddy
woodworker
11 posters
AuthorMessage
woodworker
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2013-09-19

Serviceing Empty
PostSubject: Serviceing   Serviceing I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 15, 2013 7:29 am

Hi all just had my bike serviced 4000 mile service even though only done 1500 miles [under warranty] so had to be done.When next service due will be out of warranty ,so figured will do minor services myself [how hard can it be]? What are the essentials in terms of tools ? I was thinking a oil filter wrench, do i need a torque wrench ?And i guess a spark plug socket and a set of feeler gauges. I have a reasonable socket set upto 22mm , but no ring spanners,Will not do valve adjustments or anything too technical though.Pretty sure i am up too the task of brake pad replacement and maybe drive belt replacement at 15000 miles .Any polite suggestions gratefully recieved ,just after the essentials not a full armoury guys . :not worthy: 
Back to top Go down
eddy
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Serviceing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Serviceing   Serviceing I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 15, 2013 8:47 am

I do all the maintenance on my SiWi .

The common things.
No need for special tools....

- for the rear wheel bolt you need a 27 mm socket.

- a torque wrench is nice to have.
( i don't )

- A digital universal VOA meter is a must if you can use it and can make conclusions according the measurements.

- a variator holding tool is a must .
(cheep to make it your self, search this forum)

Eddy
Back to top Go down
http://edho@operamail.com
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

Serviceing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Serviceing   Serviceing I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 15, 2013 9:02 am

As you have put this under the "other scooter topics" section rather than the maintenance section, I assume this is for a bike other than the Silverwing. Mechanically inclined people (like eddy) can help you with the basics but we have no way of knowing what specifics might be necessary relative to whatever bike you are talking about, unless someone here has the same bike.

Dan
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2561
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Serviceing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Serviceing   Serviceing I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 15, 2013 9:05 am

I purchased a deep (4.5 inch) socket to change out spark plugs and a oil filter wrench to change oil. Basic hand tools, I already have. Anything too technical and I will ask for help! Decide what you will do and plan accordingly! Fortunately the Silver Wing does not require a lot of maintenance Laughing 
Back to top Go down

Serviceing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Serviceing   Serviceing I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 15, 2013 11:27 am

dspevack wrote:
As you have put this under the "other scooter topics" section rather than the maintenance section, I assume this is for a bike other than the Silverwing.  Mechanically inclined people (like eddy) can help you with the basics but we have no way of knowing what specifics might be necessary relative to whatever bike you are talking about, unless someone here has the same bike.

Dan
According to his into' it's a ... sh 300i .... I would have thought that the tool kit supplied with the scooter would suffice for basic service items.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Serviceing 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

Serviceing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Serviceing   Serviceing I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 15, 2013 12:20 pm

If you plan to do service, I would suggest a shop manual. Since your scooter is different from the Silver Wing you need to know that advice on here might not apply to yours.
Back to top Go down

Serviceing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Serviceing   Serviceing I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 15, 2013 5:34 pm

Good advice there "Hi Yo",woodworker to that end see ........

2007 - 2010 .......... http://www.diyspareparts.com/parts/honda/sm-sh300a-07-62ktw00/

2011 onwards ......... http://www.diyspareparts.com/parts/honda/sma-sh300-a-62ktw00z/
Back to top Go down
woodworker
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Serviceing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Serviceing   Serviceing I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 16, 2013 10:13 am

Site admin, bike is a Honda sh 300i sorry about not makin that crystal clear Embarassed
Back to top Go down
woodworker
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Serviceing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Serviceing   Serviceing I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 16, 2013 10:21 am

Thanks for the link the bern,will only do oil and filters change plus brakes and pretty much routine stuff too save a few shillings.Watched a few videos on scooter maintenance think I am capable. Five of the lads in my family car mechanics, only wish one was a motorcycle mechanic ha.Still I know there steer me right if I have a problem go steady .Smile 
Back to top Go down
woodworker
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Serviceing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Serviceing   Serviceing I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 16, 2013 10:25 am

HI YO, workshop manual great idea I will see if I can get a Haynes one .Do you have Haynes manuals in the states? Be safe.
Back to top Go down
woodworker
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Serviceing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Serviceing   Serviceing I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 16, 2013 10:31 am

Thanks eddy, I think I may get a tool too hold the variator. But will see how much Honda quote for a belt change first, take it easy small moped 
Back to top Go down

Serviceing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Serviceing   Serviceing I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 16, 2013 10:34 am

Woodworker,sorry but there is no Haynes or Clymer manual available for SH300 bud
Back to top Go down
woodworker
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Serviceing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Serviceing   Serviceing I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 16, 2013 10:37 am

Hi ghm-pm, oil filter wrench a definite thinking on the lines of the belt type so it wont damage replacement filter .Spark plug easy access on my scoopy .interest 
Back to top Go down
woodworker
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Serviceing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Serviceing   Serviceing I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 16, 2013 10:41 am

Hell and damnation ,bern what do you suggest? Will need to bite the bullet and get one from HONDA?Any idea what they cost?
Back to top Go down

Serviceing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Serviceing   Serviceing I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 16, 2013 10:49 am

The ones in my link are a touch over £42,you could try giving Wemoto a bell on 01723 597072 they may stock them,not managed to find a downloadable on yet either but will try again later this evening Wink
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

Serviceing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Serviceing   Serviceing I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 16, 2013 11:44 am

Woodworker, why are you on the Silverwing website, if you don't own a Silverwing?Smile 
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3794
Registration date : 2009-06-29

Serviceing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Serviceing   Serviceing I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 16, 2013 12:27 pm

Probably to stay in touch with scootering friends.
I'm still on the X9OC site for that very reason and as time has passed many there no longer own X9s but have bought Silverwings and other maxis so there is something of a database for other makes.
Add to that there are people who have great general mechanical knowledge and one can pick their brains on general 'scooter' matters.
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

Serviceing Empty
PostSubject: Serviceing(sic)   Serviceing I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 16, 2013 12:59 pm

If you buy a genuine filter from a Honda dealer it can be got with the removal tool for a very small sum extra to the filter cost, a real bargain, I have ended up with several of them as it's often [i]cheaper[i] to buy the package.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Serviceing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Serviceing   Serviceing I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 16, 2013 1:02 pm

Thanks Mike O, it just seemed to me that, when i owned a Deauville i was a member of that website, and everyone else was talking about the Deauville. I would not have stayed on that site and started asking questions about the Silverwing. Smile 
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3794
Registration date : 2009-06-29

Serviceing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Serviceing   Serviceing I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 16, 2013 1:43 pm

I suspect that a number of us who meet here are interested in Riding in general as well as having a great interest in the Silverwing so hang around.
I suspect also that if Honda ever stop making Silverwings and we have to move on to another make we'd open a section each on this forum for the popular replacements but still have 'communal' areas.
Back to top Go down
woodworker
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Serviceing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Serviceing   Serviceing I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 16, 2013 2:10 pm

Thanks for taking the time ,[the bern] I will make some enquiries also the phone number very helpful thankyou.Smile
Back to top Go down
woodworker
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Serviceing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Serviceing   Serviceing I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 16, 2013 2:19 pm

Old limey, mikeo has answered your question for you.With some style I might add.There is a section here on this site for [other scooters]even though I sometimes post in the wrong section oops sorry.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Serviceing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Serviceing   Serviceing I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 16, 2013 2:58 pm

Woodworker, it seems i was wrong. I didn't realise there was another section for othert Scooters, my apologies.Smile 
Back to top Go down

Serviceing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Serviceing   Serviceing I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 16, 2013 5:08 pm

woodworker wrote:
Thanks for taking the time ,[the bern] I will make some enquiries also the phone number very helpful thankyou.Smile
Pleasure bud,shame I can't find a freebie download yet,but I am still looking Wink 
Back to top Go down
woodworker
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Serviceing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Serviceing   Serviceing I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 17, 2013 4:15 am

Old limey, apologies accepted we all get it wrong from time too time its called being human ha.Dont get me wrong I am always making mistakes especially with p.c.s.but as my old dad says if you don't make a mistake or two ,your not doing anything .Smile
Back to top Go down
woodworker
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Serviceing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Serviceing   Serviceing I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 26, 2013 9:54 am

Hi the bern ,you were absolutely correct about the workshop manuals,haynes do one for general scooter maintenance on most types upto 250cc so that may have some value?Went into my Honda dealer yesterday they want £42 pretty much what you said, but will take a month too get here why I do not know.Guess it will be on the Christmas list or am I deadhorse ha ha go steady.
Back to top Go down
woodworker
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Serviceing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Serviceing   Serviceing I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 10, 2013 4:15 am

HI all ,went and ordered a workshop manual on the recommendation of you guys .Figured the cost of the manual will be outweighed by how much money it will potentially save me .So as soon as it comes will have some bed time reading too do .Thanks for the advice all Smile
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

Serviceing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Serviceing   Serviceing I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 10, 2013 3:27 pm

woodworker that was the best money you ever spent.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

Serviceing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Serviceing   Serviceing I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 10, 2013 3:30 pm

woodworker,

Like Rodger said...that is a good thing to do. There are also instructions and pictorials here to help with thingsn as well. Sometimes the manual isn't very good at explaining things. But it is the bible to the SWing though.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
woodworker
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Serviceing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Serviceing   Serviceing I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 11, 2013 6:06 am

Thanks guys for the help although I do not own a silverwing,find this site very helpful cheers
Back to top Go down
woodworker
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Serviceing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Serviceing   Serviceing I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 22, 2013 6:31 am

Morning all you scooterists ,well got my service manual two weeks early .Apparently printed in Belgium ,I believe Honda have a large distribution centre there.Took some bedtime reading but made me drop off a treat ha.Seriously very useful book with all torque settings and most information I will ever need.Now I am armed and ready too take on the beast spanners in hand . :affraid:Ride safe .
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

Serviceing Empty
PostSubject: Servicing   Serviceing I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 22, 2013 6:50 am

Woodworker, you did very well to get a Honda manual from your dealer, I had no success when I tried for the SWing and ended up ordering one from the States for a slightly different bike. Another forum to join for advice is MaxiMuppets and no doubt Meldrew will give you his opinion on that one. Be careful now that the frosty mornings have arrived !!
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Serviceing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Serviceing   Serviceing I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 22, 2013 7:32 am

Seeing as I've got a mention and you think I have an opinion, I haven't got the slightest interest in the Honda SH300i and like Old Limey can't understand why woodworker keeps plugging it here on a Silver Wing forum. But I agree with you that the Muppets is probably a better forum for advice on all things SH300i, as quite a few Muppets are past and present owners. In fact I've just done a quick Search on there for SH300 and there are currently 551 posts on 56 pages.   Smile
Back to top Go down
woodworker
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Serviceing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Serviceing   Serviceing I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 22, 2013 8:40 am

Thanks bikerboy for the advice .I thought I posted this in the section [OTHER SCOOTER TOPICS] So as not to annoy the dedicated swingers on the site.My profuse apologies if that is not the case old limey MR MELDREW. :not worthy: 
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Serviceing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Serviceing   Serviceing I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 22, 2013 9:16 am

There's no need for apologies mate, or to address me as Mr Meldrew. I'm not annoyed either, but I'll simply point out that it's bad forum etiquette to use upper case letters to address someone in a post, it's classed as shouting at them.

I'll let you get back to reading your Service Manual. Smile 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Serviceing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Serviceing   Serviceing I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Serviceing
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Other Scooters and Motorcycles :: Other Scooter Topics-
Jump to: