Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
Clearview Windshield I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 6:44 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Clearview Windshield I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
Clearview Windshield I_icon_minitimeby COMick Tue May 07, 2024 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Clearview Windshield I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Clearview Windshield I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Clearview Windshield I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Clearview Windshield I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Clearview Windshield I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Clearview Windshield I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Clearview Windshield I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Clearview Windshield

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

Clearview Windshield Empty
PostSubject: Clearview Windshield   Clearview Windshield I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 7:38 pm

Hi all.

I'm thinking about buying a Clearview vented windshield, b/c I need a few extra inches on the Cee Bailey I have now. Does anyone have one, and what has your experience been? Does anyone know why they no longer make XL vented windshields?

thanks,

Mandy
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Clearview Windshield   Clearview Windshield I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 9:03 pm

Emeskay wrote:
I'm thinking about buying a Clearview vented windshield, b/c I need a few extra inches on the Cee Bailey I have now. Does anyone have one, and what has your experience been?

I have the Clearview XL vented windshield. I use the vent most of the time except for the winter ... I can feel the difference with the vent.

Emeskay wrote:
Does
anyone know why they no longer make XL vented windshields?

This is new news to me ....

http://clearviewshields.com/shop/product.php?id=29
5 Position Vent - (not available on X-Large size)
• Provides Additional Air Circulation as Needed
• 5 Position Vent Allows you to Direct the Air
• Vent can be Fully Closed
• Reduces Low Pressure/Vacuum Behind Shield
• Improves the Airflow/Reduces Back Pressure
• Comes Fully Installed in the Shield
Not available on the X-Large size to maintain the shield strength
and reduce the flex in the shield from the air pressure on the tall
shield
There were several people who experienced the flex in the windshield without the vent. I was wondering if the vent help reduce the flex by reducing the back pressure behind the windsheld.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Clearview Windshield   Clearview Windshield I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2009 8:30 am

Thanks for getting back to me, Bill. Your experience relieves my concerns.

I really think I'm going to get the windshield. Clearview has one more left. I went on a weekend get-away for the Fourth, and had a bit of problem with wind shear. I've changed two things on my bike. I removed the wind guards around the foot rest area, and I added a sheepskin seat cover. I don't know which of these created the problem, or both. My husband says that my head has always bobbled about a bit, so I need to do something. I don't want to lose the seat cover or put the wind guards back on for the warm season. The wind guards are great for the winter, but I like having the breeze on my legs. I always wear full gear, so I need the breeze. I also like the sheepskin, because it keeps me away from the black vinyl of the seat.

As an aside, I got the 3 Brother backrest. I'll probably install it this weekend.

Regards,

Mandy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Clearview Windshield   Clearview Windshield I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2009 12:29 pm

Emeskay wrote:
Does anyone know why they no longer make XL vented windshields?

I heard from Clearview...there wasn't enough demand, so they stopped making the XL vented windshield. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
skydad99
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2009-07-19

PostSubject: Re: Clearview Windshield   Clearview Windshield I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 25, 2009 1:14 pm

Emeskay wrote:
Hi all.

I'm thinking about buying a Clearview vented windshield, b/c I need a few extra inches on the Cee Bailey I have now. Does anyone have one, and what has your experience been? Does anyone know why they no longer make XL vented windshields?

thanks,

Mandy

I just took the Clearview vented windshield off of my S.W. yesterday afternoon and installed a Givi one. I just never liked the looks of the Clearview on my scooter and it tended to flex backwards some at highway speeds. I rode it yesterday afternoon with the Givi and I liked it better. No big dfeal to install. They send you a bag with a couple of patterns an 4 screws and I didn't need to even open it up. The Givi mounted up perfectly with no drilling and it took less than an hour to remove the Clearview and install the Givi. The hardest part was getting the front tupperware to slide down to get the hooks loose and remove the fairing and really, that wasn't very hard either. I bought it at Twisted Throttle and it only took 2 days to arrive by ground UPS. Now I am going to box up the Clearview and see if anyone wants it.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Clearview Windshield   Clearview Windshield I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 25, 2009 1:39 pm

I had the Clearview XL with the vent first and it flexed way too much for me. If you stay under about 70 or 75 it was fine. But I ride kind of fast at times and it was almost touching my chin so I replaced it with the Givi. I wish the Clearview was as stiff as the Givi. If I stayed under 70 mph I liked the Clearview better, but since I ride faster than that most of the time it just flexed too much for me. But then again, I have said before that I think I just got a defective one.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
skydad99
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2009-07-19

PostSubject: Re: Clearview Windshield   Clearview Windshield I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 25, 2009 1:56 pm

JeffR wrote:
I had the Clearview XL with the vent first and it flexed way too much for me. If you stay under about 70 or 75 it was fine. But I ride kind of fast at times and it was almost touching my chin so I replaced it with the Givi. I wish the Clearview was as stiff as the Givi. If I stayed under 70 mph I liked the Clearview better, but since I ride faster than that most of the time it just flexed too much for me. But then again, I have said before that I think I just got a defective one.

Mine flexed pretty much at speeds over 50 or so. I try not to ride over 70, but sometimes it just sneaks up to 80. Smile The other problem I had with the Clearview was that reverse curve at the top gave a slightly different view of the road surface than when looking over it. I like my Givi and I have to say that Twisted Throttle gave me very good srvice.
Richard
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Clearview Windshield   Clearview Windshield I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 11:20 am

Twisted throttle is good. I know what you're talking about with the flex, but I've gotten used to it. And the vent is absolutely terrific! What a difference in hot weather.

Mandy
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Clearview Windshield   Clearview Windshield I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 11:10 am

Emeskay wrote:
And the vent is absolutely terrific! What a difference in hot weather.

Absolutely and Clearview was the only one that would offer it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Clearview Windshield   Clearview Windshield I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 2:25 pm

Yes. It is sticky-hot today, and I'm really glad to have the wind in my face!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Clearview Windshield   Clearview Windshield I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2009 7:05 pm

In my opinion, Givi works better in colder months. I am aware of at least one guy who would shift between Givi and Honda standard windshield depending on the weather. It is fairly easy to switch, not every day, of course. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Clearview Windshield   Clearview Windshield I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2009 1:29 pm

NEW INFORMATION:
Clearview is aware of the problem with flexing, and the flexing problem was
diagnosed to be a lack of strength in the center of the XL shield
ONLY WHEN THE VENT WAS PRESENT.
Therefore the XL's with the vent are no longer a normal sales item available
from the factory, and that should stop the flexing problem.
As a side note, I'm sure if you called the company, told them you know of the
flexing problem on the XL with the vent, and you don't feel it will be a problem
for you, they might make an exception, but that's just a guess.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Clearview Windshield   Clearview Windshield I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2009 7:16 pm

dspevack wrote:
NEW INFORMATION:
flexing problem on the XL with the vent, and you don't feel it will be a problem

I believe JeffR had a Clearview (not sure which size) without the vent and he still had flexing ... JeffR could you please confirm.

When I read about the Clearview flexing most people (I believe) were non-vented ... which is why I was thinking that the vent helped to prevent flexing by reducing the pressure behind the windshield.

If people did have flexing with the Clearview without the vent ... then Clearview will have to spin a different story.
Back to top Go down
thomphoto
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
thomphoto

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2009-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Clearview Windshield   Clearview Windshield I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2009 7:45 pm

honda_silver wrote:
dspevack wrote:
NEW INFORMATION:

I believe JeffR had a Clearview (not sure which size) without the vent and he still had flexing ... JeffR could you please confirm.

When I read about the Clearview flexing most people (I believe) were non-vented ... which is why I was thinking that the vent helped to prevent flexing by reducing the pressure behind the windshield.

If people did have flexing with the Clearview without the vent ... then Clearview will have to spin a different story.

I had the XL with the vent, and it did flex at higher speeds or if it was very windy. I now have the medium without the vent, and there is no flexing at all.

Wendell
Back to top Go down
http://wendellthompsonfineart.com
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Clearview Windshield   Clearview Windshield I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2009 8:12 pm

Bill,

I have the XL Clearview with a vent and that is the one that flexes a lot after about 70 mph indicated. And since I cruise on the interstate often at 75 or 80 indicated it just seemed to bend too much. I like to wear a 3/4 helmet but the wind would catch the opening of the helmet and want to rip my helmet off. If I cruised at lower speeds I like the Clearview better than the Givi, but not over 70 though.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Clearview Windshield   Clearview Windshield I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2009 8:19 pm

This information came from calling the factory.
As with any situation, YMMV.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Clearview Windshield   Clearview Windshield I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2009 5:13 am

I have the medium-size Clearview with vent and I really like it.
It does NOT flex at highway speeds; I'm guessing the L and XL flex more than the smaller size.
That being said, at 5' 10" tall, I wish my Clearview was 1-inch taller; if I had to do it all over again, I would have ordered the large size. Now, I have to really "duck down" when I want full sound and wind protection. I ordered mine directly from Clearview; it did take about a month to get it, but they were a pleasure to deal with.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Clearview Windshield   Clearview Windshield I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Clearview Windshield
Page 1 of 1