Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
Clearview with vent? I_icon_minitimeby bjkaraoke Today at 7:30 am

» Left brake micro-switch
Clearview with vent? I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Clearview with vent? I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
Clearview with vent? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

» Silverwing Brakes
Clearview with vent? I_icon_minitimeby Silverwingdays Fri May 10, 2024 6:20 am

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Clearview with vent? I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Wed May 08, 2024 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
Clearview with vent? I_icon_minitimeby COMick Tue May 07, 2024 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Clearview with vent? I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Clearview with vent? I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Clearview with vent? I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Clearview with vent?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
craigory
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
craigory

Number of posts : 120
Registration date : 2011-06-25

Clearview with vent? Empty
PostSubject: Clearview with vent?   Clearview with vent? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 4:06 pm

I am trying to decide whether or not to get the built-in vent for my Clearview medium. I'm sure that some of you must have this. Does it help significantly to cool you in hot weather? Is there any change to the stiffness of the shield? Does it flap in the wind any worse at speed (70+). Thanks in advance!
Back to top Go down
craigory
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
craigory

PostSubject: Re: Clearview with vent?   Clearview with vent? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 4:08 pm

Forgot to ask if you have any problem with rain coming through. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Clearview with vent?   Clearview with vent? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 7:46 pm

Have a look at the 7Jurock screen. Company is based somewhere in California. Person to speak to is called Roy Perez.

From what I remember some people have had problems with the Clearview screen with the vent.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Clearview with vent?   Clearview with vent? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 8:33 pm

[quote="craigory"]I am trying to decide whether or not to get the built-in vent for my Clearview medium.[\quote]

I have the built-in vent for my Clearview X-Large.

craigory wrote:
Does it help significantly to cool you in hot weather?

The GoldWing air vent has multiple settings but I typically ride in the first or second open position to keep the air directed at me.

I wear Motoport Kevlar Air Mesh jacket and pants and can feel the air movement on my chest. I sit all the way back on my seat ( with the buttrest removed )

craigory wrote:
Is there any change to the stiffness of the shield? Does it flap in the wind any worse at speed (70+).

Some people have reported severe flexing randomly on some X-Large. I have had my Silverwing up to 90 MPH in West Texas with no problem.

Riding closely behind some 18 wheelers, my windshield may flex a little ... no where near the flexing that others have seen. You can longer order the X-Large with the vent.

craigory wrote:
Forgot to ask if you have any problem with rain coming through.

Only a few times in very heavy torrential rain, I have closed the vent completely ... but it does not stop the sheeting water flowing off the outside edges of windshield Razz
Back to top Go down
Somerled
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Somerled

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2011-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Clearview with vent?   Clearview with vent? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2011 3:53 pm

For those of us with a Clearview windshield and vent here's a bit of bling for it if you're so inclined. I checked with Mark at Clearview and he says they do use the Goldwing 1800 vent so it certainly should fit. I just ordered one. I will have a picture up soon of that and other mods I've made recently so you can judge what you think of the looks.

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/ZZ77566
Back to top Go down
craigory
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
craigory

PostSubject: Re: Clearview with vent?   Clearview with vent? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2011 5:01 pm

Hi Somerled,
Are you planning to cut the windshield and install this yourself? Or are just replacing an existing vent with the chrome Goldwing model? Any information you can supply about that will help me decide whether to do the same think myself. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Somerled
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Somerled

PostSubject: Re: Clearview with vent?   Clearview with vent? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2011 5:26 pm

No need to cut anything. It's an accent so it just frames the existing vent.
Back to top Go down
craigory
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
craigory

PostSubject: Re: Clearview with vent?   Clearview with vent? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2011 6:06 pm

Thanks Somerled. I (stupidly) bought the Clearview shield without the vent and I'm trying to figure out if there is any way to add it after the fact. I think I'm probably just stuck. Oh well.
Back to top Go down
Somerled
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Somerled

PostSubject: Re: Clearview with vent?   Clearview with vent? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2011 7:22 pm

Oh you can still get the vent. They sell that too. Here it is in clear. You can also get it tinted if you wish.

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/ZZ75278
Back to top Go down
craigory
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
craigory

PostSubject: Re: Clearview with vent?   Clearview with vent? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2011 2:40 am

Thanks Somerled. Now I just need to decide if I really want to attempt to cut my own windshield. At least I know that the same vent which Clearview uses is available.
Back to top Go down
Somerled
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Somerled

PostSubject: Re: Clearview with vent?   Clearview with vent? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2011 2:55 am

Well if you do, I'll risk insulting you by pointing out the obvious - cut small and then trim out more as needed. You can always trim more but you can't trim less. Wink
Back to top Go down
craigory
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
craigory

PostSubject: Re: Clearview with vent?   Clearview with vent? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2011 4:04 am

I'm not insulted - I'm grateful. What tools do you use for this? I have good mechanical skills. It's just that I've never done precision cutting of plexiglass before. You can insult me all you want as long you provide useful information. Wink
Back to top Go down
Somerled
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Somerled

PostSubject: Re: Clearview with vent?   Clearview with vent? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2011 4:13 am

If it were me I'd place the vent where I wanted it to go and trace the outline of it on the windshield with a marker. Then drill small holes in a few spots on the _inside_ of that outline and use a fine toothed hand saw to cut between the holes. then match up the vent again to what you've cut out and trim more as needed then sand the edges and apply the vent. I'm sure the vent will come with some kind of directions. If anybody else has anything to offer here or a better suggestion, please chime in.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Clearview with vent?   Clearview with vent? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2011 1:56 pm

craigory wrote:
I (stupidly) bought the Clearview shield without the vent and I'm trying to figure out if there is any way to add it after the fact.

I would suggest contacting Clearview, I believe they sell the vent and they should be able to give you a measurement from the top of the your windshield where the top of the vent should be placed (since they cut and install themselves). It is very important to install the vent in the right place to ensure the curvature of the windshield does not interfere with the final seating. They may be able to give you some other pointers too cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Clearview with vent?   Clearview with vent? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Clearview with vent?
Page 1 of 1