Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 11:19 am

» New to Me Swing
LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE

Go down 
+3
johnd
som2002
GerardButlersHamster
7 posters
AuthorMessage
GerardButlersHamster
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2013-09-05

LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE Empty
PostSubject: LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE   LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 2:46 pm

JUST NEW HERE AND MY 2008 WING IS MAKING A RUMBLING SOUND COMING FROM VARIATOR AREA BIKE STILL RUNNING FINE ANY ADVICE MUCH APPRECIATED
THANKS IN ADVANCE
IVAN
Back to top Go down
som2002
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
som2002

Number of posts : 120
Registration date : 2009-06-19

PostSubject: Re: LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE   LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 3:41 pm

Belt slap, sorta common with this scoot. Although mine is gradually getting worse and worse lately. Sounds like it is full of rocks rattling around when I first start it up, until it gets warm then it disappears...
Back to top Go down
http://www.fquick.com/som2002
GerardButlersHamster
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE   LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 4:51 pm

Thanks for the quick reply the sound is very harsh and seems to have appeared out of the blue
Back to top Go down
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2010-02-01

PostSubject: Sound   LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 9:53 am

Try starting the bike, squeezing the break and bring your RPM up to 5000 for 10 sec. Sounds like you have a glazed belt and that trick will help.
Back to top Go down
GerardButlersHamster
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE   LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 12:03 pm

Thanks Johnd i have had the glazed clutch plate thing already and that wee trick sorted it out but this is different its a rougher sound from the variator end
Back to top Go down
GerardButlersHamster
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE   LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 10, 2013 3:35 pm

took the scooter out for a spin tonight and the noise is definitely getting worse and it doesn't go away when it warms up can even feel the vibrations coming through the bike it sounds fine at tick over but when the revs get to about 3000 it really kicks in. im leaving it in to a local bike mechanic tomorrow and hope its not gonna cost me a load
Back to top Go down
GerardButlersHamster
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE   LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 12, 2013 5:22 pm

Crank shaft main bearing ......sad face
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE   LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 13, 2013 1:02 pm

GerardButlersHamster wrote:
Crank shaft main bearing ......sad face
Sad face on my face for you. Let us know how much it costs you to get it repaired. Also, do you or your mechanic have any idea as to why the crank shaft main bearing failed?
Back to top Go down
GerardButlersHamster
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE   LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 13, 2013 3:03 pm

Thanks Dimond i think its going to cost quite a lot probably around £600 that converts to about $900 us. So its gonna be a tight Christmas this year he doesnt know why it failed but the bike was always well serviced by Honda so i will wait for the full report it could be that it was faulty from manufacture in which case i am hoping for a good will gesture from Honda UK
Back to top Go down
jwt827
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2013-08-14

PostSubject: Rumblind sound   LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 13, 2013 3:33 pm

Sounds exactly like mine did,I removed the variator cover and watched the belt as I reved the swing suddenly and shut it down quickly,the belt was slapping the the top and bottom of the casing sounded really scarry,while I had it opened up I changed the belt,rollers and sliders,the only fhing that seemed worn at all were the sliders,the belt and the rollers still measured perfectly.I hope yours proves to be as easily fixed.My swing is a 2010 and has 33,000 miles on it the belt I changed had 12,500 miles on it but measured perfectly,so far so good I put another thousand miles on it since.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE   LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 13, 2013 4:31 pm

jwt827, I don't think GerardButlersHamster will be as easily fixed. He said crank shaft main bearings so it will definitely be a lot more money and work than the belt,rollers and sliders.
Back to top Go down
GerardButlersHamster
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE   LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 13, 2013 4:37 pm

jwt827 oh how i wish it was only belt,rollers and sliders if it was i would be smiling but im gonna have to rob a bank to pay for this one
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE   LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 13, 2013 9:21 pm

GerardButlersHamster wrote:
jwt827 oh how i wish it was only belt,rollers and sliders if it was i would be smiling but im gonna have to rob a bank to pay for this one
Just a thought here but you might consider checking eBay for an engine. I seen a few of them (from low mileage wrecks) for very resonable prices over the years. Might well be considerably cheaper than rebuilding the bottom end of yours.

Not that I've read thru the entire thread regarding the bearing failure, but do you have any idea why the bearing failed?

Tim
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE   LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE
Page 1 of 1