Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
Top Box/Rack Question I_icon_minitimeby john grinsel Today at 5:41 pm

» I said Farewell...
Top Box/Rack Question I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Today at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Top Box/Rack Question I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Top Box/Rack Question I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Top Box/Rack Question I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Top Box/Rack Question I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Top Box/Rack Question I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Top Box/Rack Question I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Top Box/Rack Question I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Top Box/Rack Question I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Top Box/Rack Question

Go down 
+10
KurtPerthWA
lowkey
Meldrew
JeffR_
buddy19520
sonuvabug
GHM-PM
Chilliwing
hotwings
Al Carter
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Al Carter
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2013-08-17

Top Box/Rack Question Empty
PostSubject: Top Box/Rack Question   Top Box/Rack Question I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 24, 2013 2:40 pm

Hello,

New member here (I posted in the New Members section), and I want to install a top box, or a rack, or both. I have a line on a Givi (45 liter, I think) plus mounting/rack and some other accessories, from a fellow that is going to trade in his wife's S'Wing for a larger m/c and the dealer said the Givi box and stuff wouldn't make the trade more valuable, so he is going to sell it separately. He wants $300 for it.

But I got to snooping around on the web and Ebay and see that there are lots of other options (some pretty cheaply made, I'm sure). One that caught my eye is the Bestem (sp?) box.

So here's my question: Is there made just a plain ol' luggage rack (like the chrome ones we used to see on the backs of vintage 60's and 70's and so forth Hondas, etc)? I was thinking of such a rack, then buying a Bestem type box that I could take on or off easily if I wanted, and still have the rack to bungee stuff to.

BTW, I have done a Search on this site and have read all of the info others have posted; just wondered if anyone had any specific ideas about my needs.

Thanks,

Al Carter
Mount Vernon, WA
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Top Box/Rack Question   Top Box/Rack Question I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 24, 2013 4:44 pm

Personally im a fan of the Bestem topbox. I have one on my swing and it has been flawless for a year now. It can be removed in seconds from the swing leaving the mounting plate on the bike. I would think you could bungee other items on this mounting plate if required. The Bestem i have is model 2012 (not sure if they use this number to keep track of the model/year as i got it in the year 2012). It came with the brake light and backrest and all the required mounting hardware. I got it on ebay for around $140 total. My swing is black and the black Bestem matched perfectly. I have received lots of complimates on the way the box looks like it came as stock on the swing. 
I couldnt justify spending the coin on the Givi. The appropiate Givi price escalates as you decide if you want a monolock or a monokey mounting base, all sold separately, of course. It was all confusing and expensive so i went with the "one stop shopping" of the Bestem- everything was included!
  I know the Givi is arguably better quality but what works, works.
Back to top Go down
Chilliwing
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Chilliwing

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2011-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Top Box/Rack Question   Top Box/Rack Question I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 25, 2013 12:23 am

My Swing came with a Givi E470 already mounted so cost was not an issue for me, it has a silver lid which would match a silver coloured Wing nicely. There is another model that has multi coloured lid options to match your Swing's bodywork. You can also fit a rack to the lid of some boxes for extra capacity.

Whatever box you choose will enhance your Swing's dry storage and in my opinion is one of the best accessories you can add.

Not sure how a traditional rack would be mounted to the Swing's rear bodywork. The racks available for the Givi/Bestem boxes are ordered to fit the Swing's rear.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Top Box/Rack Question   Top Box/Rack Question I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 25, 2013 8:41 am

There are lots of options out there. Depending on your taste (size, features etc.) and money! A removable model is great for taking the unit off easy and taking inside as needed.

One caveat, if you get a large top box, be careful how much WEIGHT you put in it. The weight is mostly behind the rear axle and can adversely effect handling. I use mine and love it but I store maps, a pint of oil, and a couple of granola bars and perhaps a bottle of water in mine on trips. Just keep the weight down and you will be fine!
Back to top Go down
Al Carter
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2013-08-17

PostSubject: Re: Top Box/Rack Question   Top Box/Rack Question I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 25, 2013 1:24 pm

Folks,

Thanks for the info and advice - all good. I'll probably go with the Bestem, to keep costs down, as I'll probably be just riding around town and short day trips.

Glenn, I definitely hear you about the weight issue - thanks!

Chilliwing, I've gotta ask - what is a "beanrider" (in your signature)?
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Top Box/Rack Question   Top Box/Rack Question I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 25, 2013 2:34 pm

Al Carter wrote:
... snipped ... I have a line on a Givi (45 liter, I think) plus mounting/rack and some other accessories, ... so he is going to sell it separately.  He wants $300 for it.
Al, I've tried a number of different brands including configuring my own generic top case with an older style GW chrome rack etc.  So, you'll know by know from your research that a GIVI mounting kit ... plus ... the 45L top case ... plus ... other goodies represents a great value.  

There are other good options like the Bestem, Shad etc but IMHO, for $300 you can't go wrong with the GIVI items you've found if they are in good shape. GIVI quality sets the high watermark standard.  ~ Bugjr ~
Back to top Go down
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Top Box/Rack Question   Top Box/Rack Question I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 26, 2013 12:40 am

Mine came with a GIVI 46 liter box, with brake light and color matched top. IIRC, the first owner spent about $450 for all that equipment and the mounting plate. It's all nice equipment, but the brake light no longer works.

Early this year I was looking for a box for the Vespa and bought a Bestem box. Same size as the GIVI, also has a brake light and quick release mounting plate, but comes in ABS black. IIRC, I paid just under $90 inc. shipping from Amazon. It is a very good box. Probably not as nice as the Givi, but about 95% as nice for 20% of the price.

If I ever need another box, I will look at the Bestem before considering anything else. I don't think you can go wrong with it.
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Top Box/Rack Question   Top Box/Rack Question I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 26, 2013 12:45 am

I bought the Besteem for my Swing since it was only about $100 with shipping. The Givi 46 I had on my Majesty was over $400 and I just didn't feel like spending that much. I think I have read that the Besteem comes in other colors other than black.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4176
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Top Box/Rack Question   Top Box/Rack Question I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 26, 2013 2:41 am

I hardly ever use my Givi E52 nowadays as the E55 is almost permanently mounted on the back of my Silver Wing. Either box takes a bag load of groceries and bottles, or the Eagle Creek rucksack containing the stuff we need for overnight crossings on North Sea Ferries. With the rucksack removed, both our helmets, and gloves can be stored there instead of having to carry them up to our cabin like lots of other riders have to do. The extra 3 litre capacity of the E55 is in the height of the box, it's no wider than the E52 and just that bit easier to cram stuff in and close the lid. Riding with either box filled to capacity feels no different from riding along with just a spare pare of gloves and a bottle of water inside.

Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

PostSubject: Re: Top Box/Rack Question   Top Box/Rack Question I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 26, 2013 6:29 am

Yes the Bestem comes in a variety of colours!
Back to top Go down
Chilliwing
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Chilliwing

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2011-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Top Box/Rack Question   Top Box/Rack Question I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 26, 2013 11:55 am

Beadrider is a company that produces beaded seat mats for motorcycles
Back to top Go down
lowkey
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2013-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Top Box/Rack Question   Top Box/Rack Question I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 09, 2013 10:38 pm

How does the Bestem's mounting plate attach to the Silverwing?
Do you simply drill holes in the big aluminum grab-handle
thing on the Silverwing or is there some other non-destructive
way of mounting the Bestem mounting plate?

Thank you.

Last edited by lowkey on Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:46 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Mispelled Bestem.)
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1709
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Top Box/Rack Question   Top Box/Rack Question I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 09, 2013 10:51 pm

On the bottom of the alloy tail there are 4 what look like holes for adding accessories to the Swing. These did not align with my cheapish Chinese topbox mounting.  I just drilled them through and used rubberised mounts to hold a plastic plate which I bolted the topbox to. The benefit is there is a bit of give and vibration dampening for the pillion making it a bit more comfortable on longer rides.
Have look in my album. The topbox and plate sit about 20mm above the alloy tail.
Back to top Go down
lowkey
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2013-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Top Box/Rack Question   Top Box/Rack Question I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 10, 2013 1:29 am

Album? I went to your profile place and viewed some of the attachments.
None seem to be of your Silverwing.
Thank you.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3790
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Top Box/Rack Question   Top Box/Rack Question I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 10, 2013 2:39 am

You need to click on Album at the top of the page.
Then click on Users Personal Albums.

Kurt's is on Page 2. When you've found it click on the picture or his name.
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

PostSubject: Re: Top Box/Rack Question   Top Box/Rack Question I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 10, 2013 6:31 am

lowkey wrote:
How does the Bestem's mounting plate attach to the Silverwing?
Do you simply drill holes in the big aluminum grab-handle
thing on the Silverwing or is there some other non-destructive
way of mounting the Bestem mounting plate?

Thank you.
I mounted a Bestem box on my silverwing. Find the four mounting holes that are already under the silverwing tail piece. Mine were already predrilled with rubber plugs visible from the top. Its easy to remove the tail piece to drill the predetermined holes! Next use these new "factory" holes and drill the Bestem mounting plate (or whatever) to match/align. Please do not drill the silverwing to match the mounting plate BUT drill the mounting plate to match the silverwing. Its an easy project. Getting a "totally hidden" wire up to the Bestem brake light is a little more difficult, but doable.
Back to top Go down
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2010-02-01

PostSubject: Bestem Box   Top Box/Rack Question I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 10, 2013 7:56 am

I bought Bestem 3 years ago, from JC Whitney and after a while decided it needed to be lined with something.
I bought black vinyl and some liquid adhesive, gluing the vinyl to the inside of the box.
It looks pretty good except for some creases, that were inevitable because of the curvature of the box.
Over time, it developed a clicking sound and have tried different ideas that work for a few hundred and then return to haunt me. It is definitely a plastic click and not metal sound.
I never take it off my bike, because it is much to useful.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Top Box/Rack Question   Top Box/Rack Question I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 10, 2013 8:42 am

Top Box/Rack Question Emgo

I purchased this model several years ago for my KLR and now it is on my Silver Wing. It has served me well and was very inexpensive and came with all mounting hardware et al.

It did work loose a couple of times in spite of dual lock washers on each bolt.  I took the plate back off and reinstalled with aircraft-type nuts (plastic inserts).  This before my last 1500 mile trip and no problems since.  As to the noise factor, I noticed this also, it needed a liner of sorts.  Anyway I cut a piece of a memory foam bath mat, that I bought for just this sort of thing.  Now the gear rests on the mat and doesn't move (or bounce) around.  Another cheap fix that works. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
DanB
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
DanB

Number of posts : 174
Registration date : 2013-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Top Box/Rack Question   Top Box/Rack Question I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 10, 2013 12:29 pm

I had a E52 on my Burgman 400. I loved the spacious size but was irritated that the hinges would not stay locked and the cover wouldn't stay open. Had to cut a dowel rod for a brace. Perhaps the E55 has better hinges. I'll be looking at the largest capacity top box also.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4176
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Top Box/Rack Question   Top Box/Rack Question I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 10, 2013 2:45 pm

I bought the Givi E55 Stealth which has smoked grey reflectors that match the rear lights on my Silver Wing and I've fitted the E55 backrest which has three silver grey panels on it. It's a smart looking piece of kit and has had far more use on the Silver Wing than my E52. The E55 has two rear hinges that hold the lid open no problem at all.

I opened the the red map pocket thingie in the lid a few days ago and found my 'Go Cruise' cruise control in there. That's another useful piece of kit, or it would be if I ever remembered to fit it before a long motorway or autobahn ride.  Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

PostSubject: Top Box /Rack question   Top Box/Rack Question I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 10, 2013 4:20 pm

It's an age thing Meldrew !! DAMHIK
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Top Box/Rack Question   Top Box/Rack Question I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Top Box/Rack Question
Page 1 of 1