Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
valves tapping at 50 mph I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 2:09 pm

» Drive belt prices
valves tapping at 50 mph I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 10:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
valves tapping at 50 mph I_icon_minitimeby landisr Today at 2:15 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
valves tapping at 50 mph I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 12:27 am

» New to Me Swing
valves tapping at 50 mph I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
valves tapping at 50 mph I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Yesterday at 9:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
valves tapping at 50 mph I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
valves tapping at 50 mph I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
valves tapping at 50 mph I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
valves tapping at 50 mph I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

valves tapping at 50 mph

Go down 
+6
micbusathens
rollsroyce250
Pastor Ron
horizontal
buddy19520
Ghost_rider
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Ghost_rider
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Ghost_rider

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2009-01-12

valves tapping at 50 mph Empty
PostSubject: valves tapping at 50 mph   valves tapping at 50 mph I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 07, 2013 7:12 pm

Guys and gals
When I am riding my bike at what the speedo says 55 and I
know the speedo is off a couple of mphs to high. So the real
speed is 50 I would hear the valves clinging BIGTIME. I do
not remember this happening on my 04 swing that I sold.
I have roughly 2.800 miles on it right now so there should
not be that valve noise at a true speed of 50. That is the only
time it does this and I am curious to know IF it is the gas that
I use or what??? I have a 2010 silverwing just for your info
Does anyone else have this sort of problem on there swings??

Ghost rider Greg
Houston tx. usa:SWing: https://2img.net/u/3413/63/00/33/smiles/383825.jpg
Back to top Go down
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

PostSubject: Re: valves tapping at 50 mph   valves tapping at 50 mph I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 07, 2013 7:38 pm

29000 miles on my 2003 and no valve noise. I have never had the valves adjusted.

I am surprised you hear it only at one speed. I recently adjusted the valves on my Vespa GTS, and now I can hear the valves tapping, but it happens at all speeds. It is less noticeable at higher speeds than lower speeds. Time to do it again.

Are you sure it is valve noise?
Back to top Go down
Ghost_rider
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Ghost_rider

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2009-01-12

PostSubject: Re: valves tapping at 50 mph   valves tapping at 50 mph I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 07, 2013 7:46 pm

Yes it is the valves tapping I know the sound.They may not need to be adjusted at all. BUT I am
thinking it could be the gas. I use mostly mid range gas not regular. I have used higher octane
gas but the mpgs are the same as mid range mpgs are.
Still does puzzle me Why would the valves be making that noise only at 50 true speed?????
Back to top Go down
horizontal
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2012-04-28

PostSubject: Re: valves tapping at 50 mph   valves tapping at 50 mph I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 07, 2013 9:26 pm

sounds like pinking,if so could cause damage to piston crowns. I would try higher octane fuel.
Back to top Go down
Pastor Ron
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 400
Registration date : 2013-02-24

PostSubject: Re: valves tapping at 50 mph   valves tapping at 50 mph I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 1:56 am

Why go to a higher grade....should we not stick with lower grade?
And, yes, I believe it is the gas...if you have filled it with a less known supplier, this may be the problem....I have even heard of (what would be considered) a good grade of gas getting water in their tanks....
I would run it (if the only time you hear it is at 50)....and run it low and then fill it with a different type gas....but...I would use low grade not high.
Back to top Go down
rollsroyce250
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2012-06-21

PostSubject: Re: valves tapping at 50 mph   valves tapping at 50 mph I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 6:22 am

Valves don't make noise at a specific speed, they make noise all the time if they're out of adjustment.   Check the drive train, not the valve train.
Back to top Go down
horizontal
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2012-04-28

PostSubject: Re: valves tapping at 50 mph   valves tapping at 50 mph I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 3:07 pm

Pastor Ron wrote:
Why go to a higher grade....should we not stick with lower grade?
And, yes, I believe it is the gas...if you have filled it with a less known supplier, this may be the problem....I have even heard of (what would be considered) a good grade of gas getting water in their tanks....
I would run it (if the only time you hear it is at 50)....and run it low and then fill it with a different type gas....but...I would use low grade not high.
Hello Pastor Ron.
The suggestion to use a higher octane fuel was to try and determine if the fuel was the cause of the problem. I agree there should be no reason to use anything other than what Honda recommends. cheers.
Back to top Go down
micbusathens
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
micbusathens

Number of posts : 199
Registration date : 2012-04-05

PostSubject: Re: valves tapping at 50 mph   valves tapping at 50 mph I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 5:38 pm

There's no way for valves tapping at certain rpms or mphs.There are some transmition noises that they look like preignition sound but their true source is from roller weights.At that certain speed they are about to fully disengage the "clutch"
Back to top Go down
micbusathens
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
micbusathens

Number of posts : 199
Registration date : 2012-04-05

PostSubject: Re: valves tapping at 50 mph   valves tapping at 50 mph I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 5:43 pm

By the way .....50 kmiles and valves are in limits.
Back to top Go down
Ghost-rider
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2013-07-26

PostSubject: Re: valves tapping at 50 mph   valves tapping at 50 mph I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 4:37 am

Guys
Sorry about the delay I was locked out of this forum do to a old email address that I do not have
anymore.I am STILL hearing that noise like a pinging only at 50 mph and I have used other
gas and it still does that pinging. I am going to have to have my brother take it for a ride and
see IF he can determine the noise pinging. He is a motorcycle mechanic on Harleys and he has
done work on my silverwing the old bike I had. I am also going to put it up on the centerstand
and see IF it does the same noise..
Thanks for your help
Ghost rider Greg
Houston tx. usa
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: valves tapping at 50 mph   valves tapping at 50 mph I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 11:36 am

First 2010 with 2800 miles? Valve noise usually at all engine speeds. Don't screw around, take it to a Honda dealer. Doubt is anything wrong.
Back to top Go down
Ghost-rider
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2013-07-26

PostSubject: Re: valves tapping at 50 mph   valves tapping at 50 mph I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2013 4:40 am

Guys
I have been listening to he noise and it is not the valves tapping thank GOD. From what a
couple of you riders have said it could be thee transmission which does sound correct. I did
put the bike on the centerstand and and got it up to 50 and there was no noise at all. I did
not get to talk with my brother about this yet but I am going to do so hopefully this week
and let him take it for a ride. Because I do not want to take it to a dealer and they charge
you a arm and a leg. So is this noise pinging a lot at 50 a thing to worry about? IF anyone else
has heard of this noise on there swing. It sounds like ball bearing in a can at that speed all
grinding together..

Ghost rider Greg
Back to top Go down
RazorbackUofA
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
RazorbackUofA

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2017-04-24

PostSubject: Re: valves tapping at 50 mph   valves tapping at 50 mph I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 02, 2017 5:13 am

seams like i only come here when there's a problem with my SW ........ having same issue with Lifters that am unsure about.   sounds like "Ping" lifter noise, and noticeable  just when you start to load the engine. watched a few youtube vids ... and looks like those shims would not make the lifter noise you would think......  the shims are spacers that sit in small buckets
not a SW but concept is the same.

dont look like anything i would want to tackle on my SW

BUT the Lifter noise or pop noise .. it dont look like those shims would make it? i am familiar with traditional lifers being noise .. but dont know what shim noise is unless thats what i am hearing now  DUH

also am going to see if changing oil and using engine cleaner to try to flush the whole enin with something like sea foam marvel, stp or other engine cleaner will affect the shims, could also be gasoline, an ignition issue.
Back to top Go down
RazorbackUofA
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
RazorbackUofA

PostSubject: Re: valves tapping at 50 mph   valves tapping at 50 mph I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 02, 2017 3:06 pm

https://i.servimg.com/u/f11/19/67/90/44/22197610.jpg

will see what this doesvalves tapping at 50 mph 22197611
valves tapping at 50 mph 22197611
Back to top Go down
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

Number of posts : 327
Registration date : 2017-05-13

PostSubject: Re: valves tapping at 50 mph   valves tapping at 50 mph I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 02, 2017 8:05 pm

RazorbackUofA wrote:
seams like i only come here when there's a problem with my SW ........ having same issue with Lifters that am unsure about.   sounds like "Ping" lifter noise, and noticeable  just when you start to load the engine. watched a few youtube vids ... and looks like those shims would not make the lifter noise you would think......  the shims are spacers that sit in small buckets

BUT the Lifter noise or pop noise .. it dont look like those shims would make it? i am familiar with traditional lifers being noise .. but dont know what shim noise is unless thats what i am hearing now  DUH

also am going to see if changing oil and using engine cleaner to try to flush the whole enin with something like sea foam marvel, stp or other engine cleaner will affect the shims, could also be gasoline, an ignition issue.

You do not state how many miles are on your Silverwing, Honda recommends periodic valve adjustment.

A broken cord in a drive belt striking the belt case sounds like a valve tappet, Check your drive belt and replace it by 25,000 miles.

Happy motoring Lloyd 193.
Back to top Go down
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

Number of posts : 327
Registration date : 2017-05-13

PostSubject: Re: valves tapping at 50 mph   valves tapping at 50 mph I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 02, 2017 8:05 pm

RazorbackUofA wrote:

You do not state how many miles are on your Silverwing, Honda recommends periodic valve adjustment.

A broken cord in a drive belt striking the belt case sounds like a valve tappet, Check your drive belt and replace it by 25,000 miles.

Happy motoring Lloyd 193.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: valves tapping at 50 mph   valves tapping at 50 mph I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 03, 2017 12:30 am

May be belt slap---my second SilverWing 2013 leftover, near 50,000 miles, has always had belt slap noise at 40mph with new or old belt, my first 2009 did not have this noise.

As I ride alot/have ridden a lot with these rubber band drive scooters....near 400,000 miles with 9 new ones----based on this experience, change belts at Honda recommended intervals with OEM belt, period.

My reasoning=walking sucks, breakdowns on trip can be expensive! My record=one broken belt on trip with Helix near end of service life of belt. I always carry spare belt. Dealers will never have one in stock, delays are expensive!

Put reg gas in bike, WalMart house brand 10-40 works great---do not baby. Both my SilverWings went near 50,000 miles with no valve adjustment or funny valve train noises....and no engine trouble.
Back to top Go down
RazorbackUofA
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
RazorbackUofA

PostSubject: Re: valves tapping at 50 mph   valves tapping at 50 mph I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 05, 2017 1:41 pm

TY Loyd and John

the sea foam did help with the noise but not much i could tell the engine liked the new clothes .... BUT after reading your comments and the noise still there 70% i did some better paying attention with my ears and u are correct the noise is defiantly belt slap originating from that area not up front where the valves are located or a frayed belt but slap is likely.

i change the belt every 12-16k miles last time was at 45k it currently has 52k so will be taking a look at the belt but will probably order a new one to replace while an takeing a look.

NOTE: the sea foam / new oil, helped what it does is re-energize's the oil loc inside the valve buckets and hard to get to places for the oil.

PRICE for a Valve adjustment according to my Honda dealer: 5-12 hours at $100.00 an H. shim kit costs less than 50 bucs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: valves tapping at 50 mph   valves tapping at 50 mph I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

valves tapping at 50 mph
Page 1 of 1