Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
Where to store NGP CB Antenna Cable? I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Today at 1:55 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Where to store NGP CB Antenna Cable? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 12:54 pm

» Drive belt prices
Where to store NGP CB Antenna Cable? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Where to store NGP CB Antenna Cable? I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Where to store NGP CB Antenna Cable? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
Where to store NGP CB Antenna Cable? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» I said Farewell...
Where to store NGP CB Antenna Cable? I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Where to store NGP CB Antenna Cable? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
Where to store NGP CB Antenna Cable? I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Where to store NGP CB Antenna Cable? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Where to store NGP CB Antenna Cable?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Where to store NGP CB Antenna Cable? Empty
PostSubject: Where to store NGP CB Antenna Cable?   Where to store NGP CB Antenna Cable? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 19, 2013 8:40 am

I am planning on purchasing a CB setup to communicate with fellow riders having CBs.  The No Ground Plane (NGP) antenna requires a nominal 18 foot (can't cut it) cable.  If you installed such a cable - where did you store/wrap the excess cable as I am guessing I need only half of it to run between the CB and the Antenna? Thanks.
Back to top Go down
ScootRGuy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2013-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Where to store NGP CB Antenna Cable?   Where to store NGP CB Antenna Cable? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 19, 2013 10:00 am

Back in my old CB days I had and antenna on my Honda CB360. I also had several other CB's and if memory serves me correctly you'll need to wrap it around a cylinder without crossing the wire. That will reduce the wire length without hurting your range to much. The same thing works for the old RC antennas on the 72 MHz frequency.

Gary
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

PostSubject: Re: Where to store NGP CB Antenna Cable?   Where to store NGP CB Antenna Cable? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 19, 2013 12:27 pm

FYI - Just ordered a Firestik NGP Kit (FG2-DD-W, $45, www.wearecb.com).  Firstik instructions state "do not coil excess - bowtie in 12in loop and tie in the middle".  Not sure where to put excess - but guessing will find a spot.
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Where to store NGP CB Antenna Cable?   Where to store NGP CB Antenna Cable? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 19, 2013 1:01 pm

The best place to store the cable is on your workbench wall and buy a helmet to helmet communicator. ($80 ebay for two). My brother and i both have a set and when riding together we wont leave home without them.
Back to top Go down
ScootRGuy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2013-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Where to store NGP CB Antenna Cable?   Where to store NGP CB Antenna Cable? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 19, 2013 1:40 pm

I should have clarified my answer, you don't coil it you wrap it without overlapping. You change the impedance by coiling it, you want to have it as close to 50 Ohms as possible.

Gary
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

PostSubject: Re: Where to store NGP CB Antenna Cable?   Where to store NGP CB Antenna Cable? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2013 11:57 am

Got my Firestik NGP Antenna/Cable installed. Mounted the antenna offset of my GIVI TopBox -the antenna actually weighs more than I thought it would (guessing a pound or two) - so the mount needed to be robust. No problem with excess cable as there are lots of places to store it under the plastic - and the cable is very flexible. Ran cable up through center of point of handlebars. Added a Cigarette power plug on dash. Received my Midland 75-822 (http://www.amazon.com/Midland-75-822-Channel-CB-Way-Radio/dp/B00000K2YR ).

Where have you mounted your CB or HAM set - on the handlebars? Tank bag? Other? Anbody having success with an electic Tank Bag?

Also got a $15 Midland headset that I am going to try to modify to fit into my modular helmet - we'll see how that goes - may need to break down and get a decent helmet setup - but don't want to spend more just now - so far I have nearly $200 into this setup. Any advice appreciated.

PS - Not sure how useful this CB setup will be - other than communicating with GoldWing group riders as they use CBs as their primary means of communication.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Where to store NGP CB Antenna Cable?   Where to store NGP CB Antenna Cable? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Where to store NGP CB Antenna Cable?
Page 1 of 1