Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
 Darkside Trike tires? I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Today at 8:54 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
 Darkside Trike tires? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 12:54 pm

» Drive belt prices
 Darkside Trike tires? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
 Darkside Trike tires? I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
 Darkside Trike tires? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
 Darkside Trike tires? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» I said Farewell...
 Darkside Trike tires? I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
 Darkside Trike tires? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
 Darkside Trike tires? I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
 Darkside Trike tires? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Darkside Trike tires?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2013-04-07

Darkside Trike tires? Empty
PostSubject: Darkside Trike tires?    Darkside Trike tires? I_icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2013 12:52 pm

My trike only has 3200 miles on the original factory tires, so I'm a ways away from needing to replace it. I intend to replace it with the Hercules Raptis 155 50 13 mentioned in other threads. It's an obvious thing to go Darkside on a trike since there is no question of handling in the corners and twisties - the trike stays upright and the rider does all the leaning.

What is the consensus on putting a Darkside tire on the front wheel of a trike?

FYI: The outrigger tires on the Danson kit are Kumho Ecsta AST 195/50R-15's
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Darkside Trike tires?    Darkside Trike tires? I_icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2013 1:53 pm

I replace my front mc tire with a 140 70 14 Avon Stryker rear tire and installed it in the arrow facing forward.When I road it on 2 wheels It handled very well ,did not notice any different's in the handling of my 120 80 14 IRC,and has 2 1/2 times deeper threads dept.In almost 6k kl now and no visible sign of ware. The Avon Stryker rear tire is the only scooter tire that can be install on the front rim. They do have a 120 80 14 front tire with a deeper thread dept then other scooter front tires.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Darkside Trike tires?    Darkside Trike tires? I_icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2013 2:01 pm

Gyro wrote:

I checked some of the other Darkside forums. Others have put a Darkside car tire on the front.

Take a look at the Stallion Trike ( http://www.motortrike.com/trikeThoroughbredStallion.aspx ) that looks to be a Darkside car tire.
Back to top Go down
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2013-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Darkside Trike tires?    Darkside Trike tires? I_icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2013 2:24 pm

honda_silver wrote:
Gyro wrote:

I checked some of the other Darkside forums. Others have put a Darkside car tire on the front.

Take a look at the Stallion Trike ( http://www.motortrike.com/trikeThoroughbredStallion.aspx ) that looks to be a Darkside car tire.

Yes, there's a local guy here with a Stallion trike. IMHO, those are more three-wheeled cars than they are motorcycle trikes. The freaking things have a steering wheel & air conditioning! Rolling Eyes

I was concerned about any potential problems caused by the fact that there is very little front wheel lean on a trike. Could there be potential problems with the tire seating and staying sealed against the rim because of the different side loading forces? Is the design of the S'wing front rim & bead seat any different than the rear? (I would not think so, but?)
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Darkside Trike tires?    Darkside Trike tires? I_icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2013 3:01 pm

Gyro look at the front tire you have now you can see the tire ware marks when you turn at slow speed and see the contact patch .the 140 70 14 will give about 1/4 " more when you are turning .There is almost the same contact patch ware on the tire as if you are on 2 wheels .The only difference is that it's the rake angle that turns the tire at slow speeds.and at HWY speed in the turns.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Darkside Trike tires?    Darkside Trike tires? I_icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2013 5:23 pm

Even though the Stallion is more a three-wheeled car than it is motorcycle trike I would still like to add one to my collection. But looking at the web site from the link Bill posted. I quote "The cost of a Stallion is $33,995 plus tax, title, license and delivery." Well if I can't afford a trike kit for my SilverWing I sure can't afford a Stallion. And even if I could afford a Stallion I would not give up my SilverWing. I would have to be able to trike my SilverWing and get a Stallion, and that will never happen.
Back to top Go down
IrishRob
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2011-10-31

PostSubject: Re: Darkside Trike tires?    Darkside Trike tires? I_icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2013 7:53 pm

Because of a front end wobble on my wife's Yelvington trike,I did the research and purchased a Michelin Gold Standard rear tire in size 140/70-14. I have it mounted and balanced in the "reverse" mode similar to the Michelin Pilot Activ that I have on my Goldwing trike. Apparently, the Gold Standard has been replaced by the City Grip model, but I liked the look of the Gold Standard tread pattern better and found some on Ebay for a good price, $50.00 including shipping. Thie tire seems to be bigger and heavier but it sure fits the bill on the trike and since it is bias ply and not subject to radical wear on the sidewalls I figure it should double or triple the mileage on the original front tire.

Again, your mileage may differ.

Rob
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Darkside Trike tires?    Darkside Trike tires? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Darkside Trike tires?
Page 1 of 1