Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
PowerSonic battery - decent or CCC? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
PowerSonic battery - decent or CCC? I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
PowerSonic battery - decent or CCC? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
PowerSonic battery - decent or CCC? I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
PowerSonic battery - decent or CCC? I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
PowerSonic battery - decent or CCC? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
PowerSonic battery - decent or CCC? I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
PowerSonic battery - decent or CCC? I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
PowerSonic battery - decent or CCC? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
PowerSonic battery - decent or CCC? I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

PowerSonic battery - decent or CCC?

Go down 
+4
Sknrdtec
Dimond
tankyuong
Gyro
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2013-04-07

PowerSonic battery - decent or CCC? Empty
PostSubject: PowerSonic battery - decent or CCC?   PowerSonic battery - decent or CCC? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 4:37 pm

The guy I bought my trike from included a brand new PowerSonic PTZ12S battery he had bought "just in case" the original 2009 Honda battery gave up soon. It's a Chinese-made battery, and is very cheap in price compared to the cost of an original Honda battery or a Yuasa. It's still in the box and has never been installed.

Keep it and use it, or forget it and buy something better?

Back to top Go down
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: PowerSonic battery - decent or CCC?   PowerSonic battery - decent or CCC? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 6:29 pm

I'd try it out til it give out, I had a Chinese one that lasted two years
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: PowerSonic battery - decent or CCC?   PowerSonic battery - decent or CCC? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 8:34 pm

Gyro wrote:

Keep it and use it, or forget it and buy something better?

Here is what I would suggest - IMHO.

1st - Take it out of the box and check the voltage. Hopefully reads 12.8V. In any event, put it on the trickle charger - and next day it hopefully reads over 13V.

2nd - Decide if you need serious cranking power - if your scoot does not start quickly, or if you need cold starts - then be sure you have a battery with sufficient cranking power - maybe take it to your local tire/battery station and have them check it out - mine does it at no cost as they sell me lots of car tires. I live close to the coast in California and my scoot starts quickly - so high cranking power would be nice - but not an absolute necessity.

3rd - Consider what type riding do you do (e.g., remote, city, suburban, etc.). If you call your roadside service - will they be there in an hour? Or are you in some desolate area where it may take them hours to get to you? If the latter, then consider the battery. If you are in a remote area, and your battery won't turn the scoot, then you are in deep doo-doo. Once in Death Valley my SWing would not start - started me thinking how long it would be before AAA Roadside Service would get there - could I even get cell phone reception to call them! Luckily I got it started (it was NOT a battery issue) and off I went.

4th - Do you have an installed voltmeter. If so, you will likely see any gradual battery deterioration bit-by-bit. I believe that most batteriies wear out and show signs of aging - if we are looking -and without an installed voltmeter - most of us are not.

5th - How risk adverse are you? A lot (What Me Worry)? Little? None?

If you answer the above questions for yourself (the answers may vary for each of us), then you may have a much better idea of what to do with that battery. Best wishes with your decision! Let us know.

Back to top Go down
Sknrdtec
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Sknrdtec

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2012-11-28

PostSubject: Re: PowerSonic battery - decent or CCC?   PowerSonic battery - decent or CCC? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 10:06 pm

Keep it , sell the trike , buy another battery and use them to run a 1300watt brushless motor for your homemade electric skateboard with handlebars and King and Queen seat on it.....and a trailer .
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: PowerSonic battery - decent or CCC?   PowerSonic battery - decent or CCC? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 10:11 pm

Gyro,

If you were given a PowerSonic PTZ12S when you bought your trike....I would sell your trike right away. It brings very, very bad luck and will make you lose your hair. I just so happen to have $2,000 on hand to buy your trike so you can get rid of your PowerSonic PTZ12S, and good luck to return to you. Laughing

On a serious note though, I have never heard of this battery so you may want to look at reviews. Like Dimond suggested..you don't want to get caught somewhere when your bike won't start. Just my opinion though.
Back to top Go down
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

PostSubject: Re: PowerSonic battery - decent or CCC?   PowerSonic battery - decent or CCC? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 10:23 pm

JeffR_ wrote:
Gyro,

If you were given a PowerSonic PTZ12S when you bought your trike....I would sell your trike right away. It brings very, very bad luck and will make you lose your hair. I just so happen to have $2,000 on hand to buy your trike so you can get rid of your PowerSonic PTZ12S, and good luck to return to you. Laughing

On a serious note though, I have never heard of this battery so you may want to look at reviews. Like Dimond suggested..you don't want to get caught somewhere when your bike won't start. Just my opinion though.

Too late! My hair is already gone. Razz

I looked and found an absence of reviews. The battery sells most places for $50-$55. That's pretty cheap compared to Honda or Yuasa. I'm concerned about mounting it on it's side and having it leak, or do soething else unpleasant in there.
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

PostSubject: Re: PowerSonic battery - decent or CCC?   PowerSonic battery - decent or CCC? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 10:36 pm

I didn't even think about the battery leaking. That would really cause a mess and even ruin your helmet or jacket if it is placed next to the battery. And who knows what will happen to the tupperware. It is a hard decision to get rid of a new battery that has never been used.
Back to top Go down
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

PostSubject: Re: PowerSonic battery - decent or CCC?   PowerSonic battery - decent or CCC? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 10:43 pm

JeffR_ wrote:
I didn't even think about the battery leaking. That would really cause a mess and even ruin your helmet or jacket if it is placed next to the battery. And who knows what will happen to the tupperware. It is a hard decision to get rid of a new battery that has never been used.

I have no money invested in it. The previous owner had forgot about it until the day I showed up to buy it.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: PowerSonic battery - decent or CCC?   PowerSonic battery - decent or CCC? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 11:54 pm

Gyro, have you checked the voltage of the battery before you charged it?
If the voltage has not dropped below ten volts it should be fine. Do you know how long he has had it? I would not have a problem with it if has been kept charged. It is a sealed battery that is made to be a replacement for the OEM battery. Here's a link for it and it seems proper.
http://www.batteryprice.com/powersonicptz12s12v11ahfactorysealedacidmotorcycleatvscooterbattery.aspx
I know if I needed a battery and I had it I would not hesitate using it if it checked good.
Back to top Go down
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: PowerSonic battery - decent or CCC?   PowerSonic battery - decent or CCC? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2013 11:38 am

If it says sealed on it it won't leak sideways
Back to top Go down
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

PostSubject: Re: PowerSonic battery - decent or CCC?   PowerSonic battery - decent or CCC? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2013 11:44 am

tankyuong wrote:
If it says sealed on it it won't leak sideways

Well, it shouldn't leak, but that's not the same as won't leak. I also noticed that most sellers of this brand only offer a 6 month warranty. Not so good...
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: PowerSonic battery - decent or CCC?   PowerSonic battery - decent or CCC? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2013 12:23 pm

My 09 came with the Yuasa 12 s ,don't remember except the 12s at the end.When it's time to replace i will go with the Yuasa 14s It has more cranking amps for the the same dimension ,it fits in the battery box,that battery is for the larger V twin.
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

PostSubject: Re: PowerSonic battery - decent or CCC?   PowerSonic battery - decent or CCC? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2013 1:02 pm

jeez Gyro,

You just joined 2 weeks ago and already have 98 posts. BTW, what is your first name or would you rather be called Gyro? You keep posting like you are and pretty soon we will have to start to respect you. Razz
Back to top Go down
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

PostSubject: Re: PowerSonic battery - decent or CCC?   PowerSonic battery - decent or CCC? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2013 1:19 pm

JeffR_ wrote:
jeez Gyro,

You just joined 2 weeks ago and already have 98 posts. BTW, what is your first name or would you rather be called Gyro? You keep posting like you are and pretty soon we will have to start to respect you. Razz

The name is Jim Ball. Gyro Gearloose is a nickname from waaaaay back. tongue

The weather since I bought the trike has been mostly miserable, wet & cold. I've only managed to ride about 200 miles total since I bought the S'wing on April 12.

I post so much because I am home all day, (disability) don't watch much TV, and get tired of reading books. I'm a serious posterbator, and have over 15,000 posts on a photography forum I'm a member of. I'm also a member of a private FB group, and post intermittently there throughout the day as well. Smile
Back to top Go down
eddy
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2009-11-27

PostSubject: Re: PowerSonic battery - decent or CCC?   PowerSonic battery - decent or CCC? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2013 2:42 pm

cheers
Hallo Jim Ball
Back to top Go down
http://edho@operamail.com
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

PostSubject: Re: PowerSonic battery - decent or CCC?   PowerSonic battery - decent or CCC? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2013 2:45 pm

eddy wrote:
cheers
Hallo Jim Ball

Hello Eddy. I have a half-brother named Eddy, but he hasn't let anyone call him that since grade school! He grew up to be a bit of a prig. I'm sure he could have avoided that if he'd just let everyone keep calling him Eddy. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: PowerSonic battery - decent or CCC?   PowerSonic battery - decent or CCC? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

PowerSonic battery - decent or CCC?
Page 1 of 1