Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Drive belt prices
How far are you riding weekly? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 10:26 am

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
How far are you riding weekly? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 9:12 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
How far are you riding weekly? I_icon_minitimeby landisr Today at 2:15 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
How far are you riding weekly? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 12:27 am

» New to Me Swing
How far are you riding weekly? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
How far are you riding weekly? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Yesterday at 9:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
How far are you riding weekly? I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
How far are you riding weekly? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
How far are you riding weekly? I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
How far are you riding weekly? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

How far are you riding weekly?

Go down 
+3
JeffR
DickO
honda_silver
7 posters
AuthorMessage

How far are you riding weekly? Empty
PostSubject: How far are you riding weekly?   How far are you riding weekly? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2009 3:52 am

This question may have been asked previously but I will ask anyway....

How far are you riding weekly? Commuting and/or pleasure riding?

I commute to work 112 miles round trip each day X 5 days a week = 560 miles. Then 3 days a week I add an additional 62 miles to this (186) for a total of 746 miles per week. That is just for work. Assuming the weather is not too bad, I do this on the Swing from March -November. It gets iffy in December - February but there are nice days when the highs are in the upper 40s do so I can ride.

After reading what I just wrote, I ask myself "Am I looney or what?" I console myself by remembering that before we moved here, we lived 1 1/2 hours away from our respective places of employment so we were both commuting about 3 hours round trip EACH per day (the things we do for money).

Our places of employment are about 57 miles apart so when we moved, we looked at a number of houses, some near my work, some near hers, and some in between. The one we liked best is located about 5 minutes from my wife's work (how convenient, huh?). The advantage for me was that it gave me a good excuse to start riding again.

I had retired a 2000 Fatboy about 3 years earlier and didn't think I would ride again at the time (We lived in the mountains of NC at around 4000 feet elevation. The riding season was really short and the insurance company couldn't be persauded that insurance wasn't needed when the bike was in it's trailer covered by several feet of snow.)

So to make a long story short, after we moved, I bought a 2006 HD 883 sportster (because it was cheap) for my commute. I became bored with it after about 2 monthes but held out for a year and then traded for a 2007 HD Dyna Super glide. Then last Februrary, after doing much research for a more economical bike with good weather protection, a 2008 Honda Silverwing joined the family. And so far we are living happily ever after ....or at least until Honda comes out with a 750 or 900 version. hehehe
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: How far are you riding weekly?   How far are you riding weekly? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2009 4:26 am

RobinC wrote:
I commute to work 112 miles round trip each day X 5 days a week = 560 miles. Then 3 days a week I add an additional 62 miles to this (186) for a total of 746 miles per week. That is just for work. Assuming the weather is not too bad, I do this on the Swing from March -November.

That would be approximately 22,628 miles per year, just for work. Cool
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: How far are you riding weekly?   How far are you riding weekly? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2009 5:10 am

Work ???!!!! You have to work???!!!!
Sorry RobinC... just had to say that. The only riding I'm doing now is for American Legion Riders(ALR) and Patriot Guard Riders(PGR). Haven't been on any long missions but do have occassional items occuring during the weekdays and weekends. Generally about 60 to 80 mile round-trips two or three times a week but did do one 160 mile pleasure ride with the ALR not long ago. This coming Saturday will be another of the 80 mile variety to a memorial flag pole and flag raising ceremony for a young man who was a fatality in Iraq. During my idle periods I get the itch and just go out and hit the back roads here in northeast Kansas. In between honey-do's, that is.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-20

PostSubject: Re: How far are you riding weekly?   How far are you riding weekly? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2009 5:33 am

I ride about 50 miles round trip for work daily. I'm able to ride daily from March to December and about 1/3 of the time from December to March. It doesn't rain a lot out here in the bay area, other than winter. Thankfully it doesn't get cold here so if it does rain it isn't bad at all. I've had mine for about 26 months and have about 23,000 miles on it now. When I ride for fun it is usually about 100 miles if i'm by myself and about 250-400 mile rides with the local group.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
masscoot
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
masscoot

Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2009-03-24

PostSubject: Re: How far are you riding weekly?   How far are you riding weekly? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2009 2:09 pm

Foutunatly, (or not) I only have a 3 mile commute. Even if I go home for lunch it ends up being 12 miles RT per day. For me, most of my riding is recreational on the weekends or in the evenings and can be 100 to 200 miles or more. I do take the scoot on vacation and ride 100+ miles a day all over the south shore of Taxachusetts and RI. Our group also plans a 3 day trip once a year during the middle of the riding season. Total miles for the year about 6000 miles. I try to ride year round, but in the Northeast it can be challenging. Luckily the group will endure a short cold ride even in the "bleak midwinter". We get some strange looks from folks who have long tucked their trailer queens away in their heated stables.

Sorry I digress, to answer the question under 200 miles per week.
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: How far are you riding weekly?   How far are you riding weekly? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2009 5:04 pm

My daily commute is 48 miles and once a week I go to a clients office which adds another 28 miles per week for a total of 268/week for work. I use the bike on weekends and evenings for little trips to the store and once in a while my wife and I take a cruise into the foothills for fun. I bought my bike last July and will pass the 8,000 mile-mark this week. This past winter we didn't have very many snow days, so I was able to log a lot of miles. The coldest morning I rode the temperature was 13 degrees F. Needless to say it was brisk. I am about to replace my rear tire. I am leaning towards the Bridgestone Hoop over the IRC. I have also looked at the Pirelli Diablo, but it seems like it doesn't last as long as the Hoop. What do you guys think?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How far are you riding weekly?   How far are you riding weekly? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2009 3:11 pm

My last bike which I owned for about 1 year I put on 7,300 miles. I have a 110 mile round trip to work each day but never use my bike for that. Most of my riding is short jaunts around home after work, maybe 25-30 at a time. Since the Swing is new to me, I've been riding more than that lately. On occasion on the weekend I will do a 100 mile ride but that's not often. One day I would like to head out for a week on the bike and explore but I'm not sure that ever will happen. That would be better left to a team of riders, but I don't know anyone in my area that rides. I'm sure there are folks who ride my type of riding but I just have never looked for those folks. I know I should but I devote a lot of my time to my grandkids. I do ride all year as long as it's above freezing and no snow on the roads. The Swing will be great in the cold with its fairing protecting the legs from the wind.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How far are you riding weekly?   How far are you riding weekly? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2009 11:51 am

This week Robin, it was 350 miles. We rode to Fontana Lake, NC for a Concours Rally. Swing has now been on the Dragon twice (spouse took it) and to Deal's Gap twice (one of those I did). We rode the Blue Ridge Parkway back to Asheville from Sylva. Really a nice ride.
The usual weekly commute is 20 miles RT times however many times I have to go from one of our offices to the other.
Back to top Go down
mr fish
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
mr fish

Number of posts : 276
Registration date : 2009-03-23

PostSubject: Re: How far are you riding weekly?   How far are you riding weekly? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2009 12:37 pm

I only do a 14 mile round trip commute try to get out once a week for at least 60-100miles wife,kids and weather permitting so i am dead jealous of you guys with good weather and plenty of time (do some miles for me) Laughing
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1709
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: How far are you riding weekly?   How far are you riding weekly? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2009 2:57 pm

I work 7 klm from home, so it takes me about 20 mins in peak to the centere of Perth. I bus it when it rains and am buying a Postie Bike for the epic journey. Only got to about 18 degrees today (Celsius) Weekends can be around 400klm while out with the club. Due to shift work that doesn't happen enough.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How far are you riding weekly?   How far are you riding weekly? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2009 5:22 am

About 500 miles a week so far. 120 mile daily commute (but it's been a rainy spring, so I drive the car too) and pleasure rides whenever possible.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How far are you riding weekly?   How far are you riding weekly? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How far are you riding weekly?
Page 1 of 1