Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far! I_icon_minitimeby john grinsel Today at 5:41 pm

» I said Farewell...
My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far! I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Today at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far! I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far! I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far! I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far! I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far! I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far! I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far! I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far! I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far!

Go down 
+14
Meldrew
bigbird
MikeO
Cosmic_Jumper
ucwinters
wis-rider
KurtPerthWA
CathyN
JeffR_
"Hi Yo"
Opalsboy
dspevack
aaronb
DennisB
18 posters
AuthorMessage
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far! Empty
PostSubject: My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far!   My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 9:12 am

Hi All,

As you all know, I’ve been doing some repairs and modifications to my new/used ’06 Silverwing I bought off Ebay. Thought I would share some of things that happened over the last few weeks.

The last owner told me that he just replaced the battery with a new one. When I did the over all inspection, the next day after receiving the scooter in, I found liquid dripping from under the left rear side cover…Pulled that new battery. It was leaking! The battery had “NON-SPILLABLE” printed on it. The brand was PARTS UNLIMITED #2113-0091. The Parts Unlimited application book said this is for the Honda Silverwing (Evidently they did not figure that the battery gets installed on its side). Cleaned everything up and replaced with original Honda factory battery, a YUASA.

I repaired all the damage on the bottom of the scooter by replacing both skirts and radiator grill.

Block sanded the rear spoiler and repainted it. Looks like new and installed a flag mount.

Replaced both tires. The old tires were both Honda original factory tires. The front had cracks in the side walls and the rear was so badly cupped it…well it was bad and also needed replacing. Installed a Pirelli on the front and a Metzeler on the back. When I did the front tire, I added a pair of fork boots over the top legs. Works good this will help in the long run.

Did more cleaning and paint touch-up…

While I had all the Tupperware off the scooter I added all the accessory wires for: new relay, power outlets (3), driving lights, flasher and drive lights LED indicators, GPS, and emergency flasher lights system. Also added wiring for voltage meter and lights for a new RITCHIES SPORT COMPASS (all black so it matches the bike) #X10B-M.

Removed the stock Honda horn and took it up to the auto parts store and asked if they have something louder. They did. Bought a WOLO DISC horn # 300-2T. Bolts right in the same place as the Honda horn. Much louder with a lower tone. I didn’t stop there…I relocated the stock Honda horn and now have 2 horns. Much, much better and all for under $11.00 for the new horn.

More to come and pictures to follow…
Back to top Go down
aaronb
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2011-11-28

PostSubject: Re: My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far!   My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 1:17 pm

DennisB wrote:

While I had all the Tupperware off the scooter I added all the accessory wires for: new relay, power outlets (3), driving lights, flasher and drive lights LED indicators, GPS, and emergency flasher lights system. Also added wiring for voltage meter and lights for a new RITCHIES SPORT COMPASS (all black so it matches the bike) #X10B-M.

Dennis: When you mention "LED indicators", did you replace the turn signals with LED's or are these accessory/additional indicators? I'm curious because I replaced all of my signals with LED's and, of course, I have the hyper-flash issue. I am in the process of making a bypass harness to go around the factory flasher circuit in the instrument cluster, so I can use an external flasher module. I could use load resistors, but that's defeating the advantage (however small) of the lower current draw of the LED's.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/QuasiMotard
aaronb
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far!   My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 1:47 pm

DennisB wrote:

Also added wiring for voltage meter and lights for a new RITCHIES SPORT COMPASS (all black so it matches the bike) #X10B-M.

I really like the look of that compass... I'm looking forward to your pics. How good is the built-in lighting? Is it bright enough at night to see at a glance without refocusing or straining to see it?
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far!   My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 3:03 pm

Hi Aaron,

The lighting on the compass sucked so I called the manufacturer and told them their product was going on a motorcycle and the LED light that came with it was not good enough for that use. They sent me a little 12 volt light bulb to install in the top to replace the LED. It installed easy and now I can see it very well at night. When I installed the bracket to hold the compass I also installed a very bright BLUE LED in the bracket just behind the compass that reflects off my windshield. The purpose of this LED was an indicator light to tell me when my driving lights were on. Yes, I can see it in the day time also. I'll take some pictures at night and post them.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far!   My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 4:05 pm

Dennis,
I'm curious as to why you installed both a compass and wiring for a GPS.
Once the GPS is operable, won't that give you what you need?
It's not as if your Silverwing can fly or navigate the ocean...

Dan
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far!   My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 6:26 pm

Hi Dan,

Yes, I like both the GPS and the Compass. Allot of the time I leave the GPS at home. With the GPS it lets me know (the roads) were I'm going. I can look at the compass and get my bearings faster.

I was a map maker in the ARMY... Maybe I'm just an old fashion guy. sunny
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far!   My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 7:36 pm

Here are some pictures...I'll add more tonight.
My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far! 06-110
My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far! 06-210
My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far! 06-310
My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far! 06-410
My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far! 06-510
My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far! 06-610

That's right, late model glove box lids on a early dash. What do you think?
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far!   My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 7:55 pm

Looks great Dennis...
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far!   My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 9:26 pm

Thanks Gary!

Here are 2 more night time pictures of the compass lighted and the Blue driving light indicator LED.

My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far! 06-710
My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far! 06-810
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far! 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far!   My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 9:33 pm

cheers cheers Jay is looking good! cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far!   My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 10:32 pm

Man, that looks nice Dennis. I always thought the non silver painted SWings were the nicest. Mine is silver, and I really like it, but it is kind of a boring color to me.
Back to top Go down
aaronb
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far!   My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 10:46 pm

Agreed, that looks really slick, Dennis! That's a clean addition to the dash... I think I'll do the same to mine. I agree with the compass plus GPS idea, too. I don't always take my GPS with me and it would be nice to have a standard compass for reference sometimes.
Back to top Go down
CathyN
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2010-11-15

PostSubject: Re: My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far!   My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far! I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 25, 2012 1:09 am

Looking good Dennis.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

PostSubject: Re: My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far!   My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far! I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 25, 2012 8:19 am

Dennis,
Looks really good.
I didn't know you could add new dash lids to old dash.
I thought you had to do the complete upgrade. (That's what I did.)
Good creative work. Exactly what we've come to expect from you.
Congrats.

Dan
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1709
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far!   My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far! I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 25, 2012 9:01 am

noice
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far!   My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far! I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 25, 2012 9:23 am

Hi Dan,

Yes, it was a gamble.

I really love the deep Delta Blue of this 2006 Silverwing and I also liked the positive glove box lid latches on my 2008.

I started to do a part number comparison and found that a bunch of the numbers were the same from year to year. The new black glove box lids look great with the surrounding color. I think it would look good with all the Honda colors.

The right glove box is just a drop in unit, while the left box is a bit more complicated. There are six parts on the left box lid assembly that can be transferred over to the new lid assembly, they are: The metal lock latch and the screws (2) that attach it to the bottom of the new lid, the lid main spring, and the pivot and screw.

The cost was about $120.00 USD and I purchased the parts from PowersportsPlus.com (They screw up so check your parts when you get them) They are good about making things right and are very friendly.

Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

PostSubject: Re: My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far!   My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far! I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 25, 2012 9:38 am

I invite you to consider putting a parts list with part numbers for the conversion in the mod section.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far!   My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far! I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 25, 2012 9:54 am

Thanks Dan,

I'll do that next week.

OK, just one more picture:

My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far! 06-910
Back to top Go down
wis-rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
wis-rider

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2010-12-31

PostSubject: Re: My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far!   My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far! I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 25, 2012 11:48 am

Dennis, your bike looks great. Those glove box covers really look good on there and I love the compass!
Back to top Go down
ucwinters
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far!   My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far! I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 25, 2012 2:48 pm

Dennis,

When you did the horn swap-out, did you have to use a heavier relay or was this a plug and play swap?

Thanks (and your scoot looks nice)!!!
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far!   My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far! I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 25, 2012 3:32 pm

Hi Ed,

This is a Plug and Play Mod. I just daisy chained the wires to the next horn. No need for another relay on this set up.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far!   My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far! I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 25, 2012 6:06 pm

aaronb wrote:
Dennis:>>> replaced all of my signals with LED's and, of course, I have the hyper-flash issue. I am in the process of making a bypass harness to go around the factory flasher circuit in the instrument cluster, so I can use an external flasher module.<<<

AAron: Please post some info about the OEM Flasher bypass circuit you're planning. A wiring diagram of your circuit would be nice...or the OEM wiring color codes you are tapping into / bypassing would help too.

BTW: A Tridon (Novita Tech Inc) EP36 Flasher relay is a 3 terminal solid state turn signal flasher and will work on LEDs as well as standard bulbs. About $12 from Auto Zone or other retailers and Amazon & eBay too.

Tim
Back to top Go down
aaronb
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far!   My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far! I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 25, 2012 11:51 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:

AAron: Please post some info about the OEM Flasher bypass circuit you're planning. A wiring diagram of your circuit would be nice...or the OEM wiring color codes you are tapping into / bypassing would help too.

Tim

I don't want to hijack Dennis's thread, so maybe we should split this to another conversation. Rolling Eyes

I started another thread and put the details there:
https://www.silverwing600.com/t4647-oem-flasher-bypass-harness
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far!   My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far! I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 7:25 pm

More pictures!

My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far! 4-110
My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far! 4-210
My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far! 4-310
My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far! 4-410
My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far! 4-510
My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far! 4-610
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far!   My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far! I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 11:17 pm

Man that looks nice Dennis. How many miles do you have on it now? I really like the color blue of your bike.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far!   My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far! I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 10:20 pm

Hi All,

The modifications, some expensive and time consuming, and others that were cheap and fast, were done to make my scooter mine. Adding my personal touches to show my Silverwing brothers and sisters new things that can be done to make your ride stand out from the others and make the road a little easier and more fun.

Thank you all for your welcomed comments and for your encouragement. Please ask any questions you might have about the modifications shown in these topic.

Thank you, sunny
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3790
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far!   My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 3:29 pm

Information on the 'tool-bag', please, Dennis: source (you'll have selected the best for the job, I bet) and how it's attached.

Can't wait for the next installment. Smile
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far!   My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 4:22 pm

Hi Mike,

The bag is made by a company called 'RIVER ROAD #107729 Handlebar/Windshield Bag'. Amazon is where I purchased it. I see the price has gone up a little since I made my purchase.

Bag dimensions are: 8"W x 4"H x 2-1/2"D

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000GZJH44/ref=dp_olp_new/181-1621138-5601969?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Do a little looking around for a better deal on this nice braided bag. This bag also comes in plain and studded. I thought the braided bag looked a bit more artistic.

Installed with 2 large O.D. SS finder washers and 1/2"(13mm) long sheet metal screws. The Location of the holes is the center of the little snap plug and 2" (50mm) to each side for hole location. A total of 4"(100mm) apart. Punch 2 holes to match in the back of the bag.

I had this setup on my 2008 and really liked it.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far!   My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 7:17 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far!   My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far! I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 6:37 am

Thanks, Dennis.
I remember seeing the bag on your other Silverwing and liked it.

I think I shall follow your lead. Smile
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4176
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far!   My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far! I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 8:55 am

I used to carry a leathery looking old bag on the rear seat of my BMW, we split up many years ago. Wink
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

Number of posts : 613
Registration date : 2011-11-07

PostSubject: Re: My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far!   My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far! I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 2:53 pm

Meldrew wrote:
I used to carry a leathery looking old bag on the rear seat of my BMW, we split up many years ago. Wink

lol Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcmodeltalk.co.uk
Regio
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Regio

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2012-04-25

PostSubject: Re: My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far!   My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far! I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2012 2:38 am

I noticed a power outlet under the toolbag. Is that standard on that model or is that a Dennis B mod? I like it!
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far!   My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far! I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2012 4:58 am

Non-standard - it's a DB mod. Smile
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far!   My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far! I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2012 9:03 am

Hello Regio,

I wanted a power outlet that matched the Silverwing and would stand up to being mounted on the out side of the scooter, so I bought one of these off ebay.

Mounted it in this location for heated garments on cold days.

Wired right to my battery, via a fused wire. Then it goes to my power outlet in the left glove box.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-volt-Merit-Type-Mini-Socket-Outlet-motorcycle-auto-car-boat-DIY-RV-workshop-/180817121512?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_100&hash=item2a198a50e8#ht_1101wt_840
Back to top Go down
Rasherman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far!   My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far! I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2012 11:13 am

Nice work Dennis. I like what you've done.
R
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far!   My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far! I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2012 3:13 pm

If you take the side kick panel off there is a solid sub-frame you could weld or drill and tap. In this link you can see a crude job But, with some refinement, it looks like it could work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtYkEA3HK-4&feature=youtu.be
Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far!   My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My new/used Silverwing and Modifications so far!
Page 1 of 1