Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Sinko De Mayo
Life Expectancy of Wheel and Steering Bearings/Seals I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 3:33 pm

» May 2024 forum picture
Life Expectancy of Wheel and Steering Bearings/Seals I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 10:44 am

» checking the oil
Life Expectancy of Wheel and Steering Bearings/Seals I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Life Expectancy of Wheel and Steering Bearings/Seals I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Life Expectancy of Wheel and Steering Bearings/Seals I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Life Expectancy of Wheel and Steering Bearings/Seals I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Life Expectancy of Wheel and Steering Bearings/Seals I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Life Expectancy of Wheel and Steering Bearings/Seals I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Life Expectancy of Wheel and Steering Bearings/Seals I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Life Expectancy of Wheel and Steering Bearings/Seals I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Life Expectancy of Wheel and Steering Bearings/Seals

Go down 
+8
Johnnygone
andyman
jdeereanton
john grinsel
Waspie
NWSSC
bigbird
Dimond
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Life Expectancy of Wheel and Steering Bearings/Seals Empty
PostSubject: Life Expectancy of Wheel and Steering Bearings/Seals   Life Expectancy of Wheel and Steering Bearings/Seals I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 8:51 pm

At 22,000 miles I checked my 2003 SWing front/rear wheel bearings/seals. They look great, turn fine, and seem to have no wiggles/wobbles - so I plan to leave them as is. Checked steering by turning and wiggling (not sure if this is the proper technical term) - although I did not see/touch them, they seem to be fine also.

I have a question on wheel/steering bearing/seal periodic replacement. Do I just wait for a problem - and when might that be? Or should I take some proactive approach and replace them at some (yet to be defined) interval (based on mileage and/or years of service). My SWing has only seen San Francisco Bay Area weather - not overly hot or cold - and rarely has been exposed to riding in the rain.

What do you think? What do you do? Thanks.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Life Expectancy of Wheel and Steering Bearings/Seals   Life Expectancy of Wheel and Steering Bearings/Seals I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 10:00 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2010-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Life Expectancy of Wheel and Steering Bearings/Seals   Life Expectancy of Wheel and Steering Bearings/Seals I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 12:21 am

One of the most important things you can do is stay away from the wheel bearings with a power washer. I check them out when I replace the tires. Twice now in 34,00 miles. They are roller bearings(no pre-load adjustment).
You can take most of the weight off the front wheel if you raise the scooter on the center stand and then spin the front wheel by hand to listen for any roughness. I always hear some noise from the rear(when on the center stand) but I attribute this to the straight cut gears in the final drive.
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestsuburbanscooterclub.com/
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Life Expectancy of Wheel and Steering Bearings/Seals   Life Expectancy of Wheel and Steering Bearings/Seals I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 5:53 am

Dimond, please stop looking for problems.

If a problem arises it WILL manifest itself. You do not have to magic problems just to invent a reason to strip down components.

Get on the bike and ride.

The Silver Wing likes the road and hates the garage.

Last edited by Waspie on Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Life Expectancy of Wheel and Steering Bearings/Seals   Life Expectancy of Wheel and Steering Bearings/Seals I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 6:34 am

Ride it-----it is 9 years old, just ride it....and wait for stuff to happen....just as it might in a 9 year old Japanese car.

Ride 40,000 a year and of course stuff needs work, but outside of rubber stuff/battery/tires aging, a SilverWing is a pretty good machine. AND stay away from power car washes. Sometimes you may have to fix stuff ham fisted mechs did to it over the years.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Life Expectancy of Wheel and Steering Bearings/Seals   Life Expectancy of Wheel and Steering Bearings/Seals I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 7:09 am

john grinsel wrote:
Ride it-----it is 9 years old, just ride it....and wait for stuff to happen....just as it might in a 9 year old Japanese car.

Ride 40,000 a year and of course stuff needs work, but outside of rubber stuff/battery/tires aging, a SilverWing is a pretty good machine. AND stay away from power car washes. Sometimes you may have to fix stuff ham fisted mechs did to it over the years.

+1 Agree John. Look and you shall find as they say.

On the other hand. Pour petrol in the tank and enjoy life. At my end of life it's for living not grovelling with spanners trying fix that which aint broke.

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Life Expectancy of Wheel and Steering Bearings/Seals   Life Expectancy of Wheel and Steering Bearings/Seals I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 7:50 am

bigbird wrote:
Dimond wrote:
Do I just wait for a problem - and when might that be?

1) yes
2) ask a clairvoyant

This is what I think.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Life Expectancy of Wheel and Steering Bearings/Seals   Life Expectancy of Wheel and Steering Bearings/Seals I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 7:52 am

Waspie wrote:
Dimmond, please stop looking for problems.

If a problem arises it WILL manifest itself. You do not have to magic problems just to invent a reason to strip down components.
This is also what I think.

Waspie wrote:
Get on the bike and ride.
This is what I do.

Waspie wrote:
The Silver Wing likes the road and hates the garage.
You asked.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com

PostSubject: Re: Life Expectancy of Wheel and Steering Bearings/Seals   Life Expectancy of Wheel and Steering Bearings/Seals I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 8:54 am

I have 84700 mi on my '04 and while I am a "worry wort" according to some tests I took in college, I haven't given as much concern about my scoot as you have. If you are afraid of the bike, sell it and do something else with your life. With my mileage I have had to replace two bulbs, two plugs and two belts plus troubleshoot some corrosion on some wiring following (by a year) a heavy rainstorm in Missouri. Change the oil, assure that you have coolant and brake fluid. The big test is if it will start. If it does, you are good to go.
So GO!
Back to top Go down
andyman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2009-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Life Expectancy of Wheel and Steering Bearings/Seals   Life Expectancy of Wheel and Steering Bearings/Seals I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 18, 2012 9:53 am

I had a front wheel bearing go bad on me around 28k. I didn't notice it when I was riding, but found it when I was putting a new tire on. The bearing still spun but it was very rough feeling. Figured it was a wear item and replaced it myself, I had to use my 'pilot bearing puller' to get it out, but otherwise was a very straightforward job. Keep an ear out for different sounds and just keep riding.
Back to top Go down
Johnnygone
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Johnnygone

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2012-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Life Expectancy of Wheel and Steering Bearings/Seals   Life Expectancy of Wheel and Steering Bearings/Seals I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 6:12 pm

andyman, I think keeping an ear out is great advice. Carry a cell phone and invite someone with a good trailer over for BBQ every now and then.
Back to top Go down
SCTLVR
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2012-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Life Expectancy of Wheel and Steering Bearings/Seals   Life Expectancy of Wheel and Steering Bearings/Seals I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 6:39 pm

Dimond.
I like your curiosity for how things work...
Back to top Go down
MarkB
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MarkB

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2011-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Life Expectancy of Wheel and Steering Bearings/Seals   Life Expectancy of Wheel and Steering Bearings/Seals I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 6:39 pm

I have to say that I think Dimond's questions are really just 'conversation starters' - and I think he's been largely successfully in getting some good threads going. (I don't often add a lot to them, but I get a lot out of them.)
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2561
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Life Expectancy of Wheel and Steering Bearings/Seals   Life Expectancy of Wheel and Steering Bearings/Seals I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 5:44 pm

I replaced the steering head bearings on both my 1974 CT90's. Both were showing symptoms of drag etc. OMG they were actually ball-in-race units too! Replaced them with All-Balls roller bearings. Can you believe they only gave 36 years of service??? Junk. :lol!:
Back to top Go down
gobi
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Life Expectancy of Wheel and Steering Bearings/Seals   Life Expectancy of Wheel and Steering Bearings/Seals I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 10:56 am

Hi,

I have a Silver Wing 400 is there anyway I can download a workshop manual and user manual. Appreciate your help.

Thank you.

Gobi
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Life Expectancy of Wheel and Steering Bearings/Seals   Life Expectancy of Wheel and Steering Bearings/Seals I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Life Expectancy of Wheel and Steering Bearings/Seals
Page 1 of 1