Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
What type oil for new used bike I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 2:49 am

» New to Me Swing
What type oil for new used bike I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
What type oil for new used bike I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
What type oil for new used bike I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
What type oil for new used bike I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
What type oil for new used bike I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
What type oil for new used bike I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
What type oil for new used bike I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
What type oil for new used bike I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
What type oil for new used bike I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

What type oil for new used bike

Go down 
+11
Opalsboy
larryinseattle
ulflyer
JeffR_
model28a
redeye
Waspie
AAAA
honda_silver
toolboxjesse
Markova
15 posters
AuthorMessage
Markova
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-11-09

What type oil for new used bike Empty
PostSubject: What type oil for new used bike   What type oil for new used bike I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 2:00 pm

I just acquired an 05 Silver Wing with a trike kit for my wife. I cannot find out where it was serviced and want to change the oil, plugs, filter, air cleaner, but don't know if I should put in regular oil, a blend or synthetic or if it even matters. Looking for advice from those who know. Thanks for any help. Markova
Back to top Go down
toolboxjesse
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
toolboxjesse

Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2011-05-13

PostSubject: Re: What type oil for new used bike   What type oil for new used bike I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 2:28 pm

I generally use Mobil1 10w-40 for high mileage vehicles. I buy a 5-quart bottle at Walmart for about $27 and that is enough for 2 oil changes and i am confident it will last for extended service intervals (as long as you check the level regularly). I have noticed a slight loss of oil (maybe 2 ounces every 1000 miles) with Mobil1 and as an experiment I recently did an oil change with Valvoline conventional 10w-40 and I am noticing less oil loss with it, but I would change the oil more frequently with it.

Jesse in Atlanta
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: What type oil for new used bike   What type oil for new used bike I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 3:09 pm

Markova wrote:
I just acquired an 05 Silver Wing with a trike kit for my wife. I cannot find out where it was serviced and want to change the oil, plugs, filter, air cleaner, but don't know if I should put in regular oil, a blend or synthetic or if it even matters.

Here is a link to the 2005 Honda Owner Manual ( https://www.silverwing600.com/t1550-on-line-owners-manual#12764 ) which contains the oil weight viscosity chart and oil recommendations.

I use Amsoil Synthetic Motorcycle Oil. The choice of oil is completely up to you ... just like your car oil.

Do not forget to change the Final Drive oil too.
Back to top Go down
AAAA
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 442
Registration date : 2010-11-14

PostSubject: Re: What type oil for new used bike   What type oil for new used bike I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 5:34 pm

Seriously, What oil do i use? Maybe you shouldnt be riding.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: What type oil for new used bike   What type oil for new used bike I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 5:38 pm

Tagg wrote:
Seriously, What oil do i use? Maybe you shouldnt be riding.

Bit harsh, someone seeks advice after buying a 'Wing' for his wife!!! Mad

Who does he turn to? Folk that ride the thing - makes perfect sense to me!!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
redeye
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2010-10-13

PostSubject: Re: What type oil for new used bike   What type oil for new used bike I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 5:45 pm

Agreed, Waspie. We have a new member who has divulged his age, location, reasons for joining the site, and has politely asked for some reasonable information. Sure, the questions probably belong in maintenance rather than introductions. And yes, everything he has asked is available elsewhere on the site. But let's first roll out the welcome mat for Markova.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: What type oil for new used bike   What type oil for new used bike I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 5:49 pm

Tag although I understand what you mean. That's being a little ruff on a new member of the best Silverwing site on the web. I would hate for a new member not to feel welcome just for asking, what you feel is a silly question without thinking it over first.
Back to top Go down
AAAA
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: What type oil for new used bike   What type oil for new used bike I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 5:52 pm

Oh no , i thought about it.
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: What type oil for new used bike   What type oil for new used bike I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 6:57 pm

Markova,

First of all, welcome to the site and hope you enjoy it. Please don't take the one response wrong. The subject of "oil" can lead to some arguments, not just on this site but others too. Some will only use "dino" (regular oil) and others will use synthetic. I use synthetic just since it 'supposedly' will reduce friction even more than Dino oil.

But some say that if the engineers of Honda wanted synthetic used they would call for only that. You will find on this site and others that the topics of oil, darkside tires (car tires on a motorcycle), and doing modifications to your bike will get some people 'hot under the collar'. I say just do what you want and don't worry about it.

So please continue to ask away and you will see that others will 'stand up' for you if you get picked on. This is really a very friendly site but there are some subjects, and I will never know why, that some will really give harsh responses too.

Tagg is really a very nice person, but you will find that the subject of oil is like politics.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: What type oil for new used bike   What type oil for new used bike I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 8:20 pm

JeffR_ wrote:
Markova,
So please continue to ask away and you will see that others will 'stand up' for you if you get picked on. This is really a very friendly site but there are some subjects, and I will never know why, that some will really give harsh responses too.

Tagg is really a very nice person, but you will find that the subject of oil is like politics.

+1
I'm sure Tag also knows I was not picking on him, I was just pointing out not to frighten away new members. Smile But hay those of us that have bin hear for some time know you sometimes have to have thick skin.
Back to top Go down
ulflyer
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ulflyer

Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2011-10-27

PostSubject: Re: What type oil for new used bike   What type oil for new used bike I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 9:12 pm

Tag is nice? Sounded unnecessarily rude to me.

Markova: how many miles on it? Indeed, change the oil with any brand of 10-40, regular or synthetic....I put Rotella T6 (synthetic) 5-40 in mine. Get the oil at any Walmart store, along with a Super Tech filter oil filter. Check the air filter to see if its dirty....if not vac and put back in. Most likely the plugs are fine if it starts easily and runs smoothly.
Back to top Go down
AAAA
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: What type oil for new used bike   What type oil for new used bike I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 10:57 pm

bigbird wrote:
Ted I see from your sig that you've been riding since 1948.
You must be the oldest member here.
You make Grinsel seem young :rolling laught

Thats Darth Grinsel to you!

What type oil for new used bike Tl_head_60
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453

PostSubject: Re: What type oil for new used bike   What type oil for new used bike I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 30, 2011 1:23 am

frustrated
Back to top Go down
ulflyer
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ulflyer

PostSubject: Re: What type oil for new used bike   What type oil for new used bike I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 30, 2011 6:49 am

Markova, in case you haven't found the very good pictorial on air filter removal, look here: https://www.silverwing600.com/t56-air-filter-pictorial?highlight=air+filter+removal
Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 387
Registration date : 2010-03-31

PostSubject: Re: What type oil for new used bike   What type oil for new used bike I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 30, 2011 5:44 pm

Tagg wrote:
bigbird wrote:
Ted I see from your sig that you've been riding since 1948.
You must be the oldest member here.
You make Grinsel seem young rolling laughter

Thats Darth Grinsel to you!

What type oil for new used bike Tl_head_60

Just because I have an opinion about Tagg's behavior, does not mean that I have to share it.

Smile
Back to top Go down
Markova
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-11-09

PostSubject: Re: What type oil for new used bike   What type oil for new used bike I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 30, 2011 7:58 pm

Thanks for the help. It has 30,000 miles and since I didn't know what was in it, didn't know if I had to use same kind, ie: synthetic, blend, or dino. I ride a 750 Shadow and put 25,000 miles on it this year. I am amazed at the Silver Wing and it's acceleration. Sorry I put it in the intro's instead of the tech section. I will get use to this site quickly. I am appreciative for the support.
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: What type oil for new used bike   What type oil for new used bike I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 30, 2011 11:49 pm

Markova,

The SWing is such a dependable bike that you could almost put water in it and it would keep going. Just kidding. I would just go with what makes you feel best, which is what I do really. I can't recall ever hearing of a SWing blowing an engine due to oil.

Maybe sometime you can do a review of the differences between the Honda 750 and the SWing. We like to read these things here.
Back to top Go down
ulflyer
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ulflyer

PostSubject: Re: What type oil for new used bike   What type oil for new used bike I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 31, 2011 7:10 am

Markova, as you know, your 750 has a wet clutch which calls for motorcycle specific oil, whereas the SW does not and can happily use any auto oil of the proper weight which will save you a few bucks. Since you live in a warm climate I'd suggest 10w-40 all year round.

Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: What type oil for new used bike   What type oil for new used bike I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 31, 2011 1:00 pm

Welcome Markova... good job of getting familiar with the forum. There are lots of friendly folks here that help newbies learn about our swings. Word of advice for you to consider. Don't take one persons opinion for or against any subject. Just because I like chocolate may not be the right choice for you. Read ALL the suggestions and information given and make up your own mind. Jeff is right about some folks getting their panties all waded up when someone has a different opinion than theirs. Most of the hot topics (Oil, Dark Side Tires, J-Costa) get recycled over and over here and other sites.

Again, WELCOME... now go enjoy some of that great Florida weather.
Back to top Go down
Holden251
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2018-08-17

PostSubject: Nah, ya really didn't. Just think if you walked into a classroom, asked a question and the teacher called you an idiot. Think about it.   What type oil for new used bike I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2023 9:55 pm

AAAA wrote:
Oh no , i thought about it.
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018

PostSubject: Re: What type oil for new used bike   What type oil for new used bike I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2023 10:53 am

????????? OK... what did I miss...????
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: What type oil for new used bike   What type oil for new used bike I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2023 3:31 pm

DickO wrote:
?????????  OK...  what did I miss...????

Methinks quite a bit DickO since this thread is over 11 years old.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1564
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: What type oil for new used bike   What type oil for new used bike I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2023 3:45 pm

Yeah...keep up!
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018

PostSubject: Re: What type oil for new used bike   What type oil for new used bike I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2023 7:39 pm

Well.... I saw the "old" posts but... the one (up to date?) just before mine had a complete disconnect... or is it really just me...??? Shocked Shocked Smile
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: What type oil for new used bike   What type oil for new used bike I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2023 9:04 am

DickO wrote:
Well.... I saw the "old" posts but... the one (up to date?) just before mine had a complete disconnect...  or is it really just me...??? Shocked Shocked Smile

lol ... not just you ...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What type oil for new used bike   What type oil for new used bike I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What type oil for new used bike
Page 1 of 1