Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» checking the oil
SWing questions I_icon_minitimeby COMick Yesterday at 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
SWing questions I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
SWing questions I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
SWing questions I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
SWing questions I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
SWing questions I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
SWing questions I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
SWing questions I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
SWing questions I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
SWing questions I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

SWing questions

Go down 
+3
dspevack
Waspie
InfernoST
7 posters
AuthorMessage
InfernoST
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2011-11-18

SWing questions Empty
PostSubject: SWing questions   SWing questions I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 13, 2011 7:23 am

I'm looking to upgrade from my Burgman 400 to a 600cc class machine and have a couple of questions reagarding the Swing.

1) How does the Swing handle traffic as I'm always in a lot of traffic from 15-25mph?

I ask this because the Burgman has a temperamental clutch and at times will act up at these speeds causing brain rattling vibrations.

2) Are there any major issues with the CVT and how is the maintenance on said CVT?

3) What kind of MPG does it get and at what speeds?

4) Does the suspension do its job well?

5) How big is the under seat Storage?

6) What rpm does she run doing 65mph and top speed?

Thanks in advance for your help and insight.

Keith

Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

SWing questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: SWing questions   SWing questions I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 13, 2011 8:24 am

Keith I moved from the AN400 to the Silver Wing.

Low speed stuff in traffic - no problem. Two pistons give it a less thumpy feel, and you gain a finer vibration. Engine braking is a real bonus, I rarely use the brakes, using forward looking and anticipation to balance decelerating.

If MPG is an issue, think hard. I went from 70-80 mpg on the Burger to about 46 to 53 on the Wing. Like all things there is a trade off when moving up. The extra grunt is worth the higher fuel consumption. That said I open the throttle up every opportunity I get. Accelerate fast and so expect a lesser return on MPG.

Suspension is good enough for me personally but I'm sure there will be others recommending the uprated front end suspension. Doesn't do anything for me but if you browse the various topics you will find arguments for and against.

Under seat storage is as good as the Burger, narrower in my opinion, but I can still get my lunch box, lap top and small rucksack under the seat.

No idea about rpm's etc, I just ride the thing.

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

SWing questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: SWing questions   SWing questions I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 13, 2011 8:49 am

Many people have upgraded the front springs to reduce nose dive and improve the ride.
Other than that, it is a fine low-maintenance machine and will handle traffic nicely. Also better against high winds, and you'll feel more comfortable passing semis and the like on the heavier and more powerful bike.

Dan
Back to top Go down
InfernoST
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

SWing questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: SWing questions   SWing questions I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 13, 2011 8:52 am

Thanks for the feedback Waspie, I was looking at the Burgman 650 but that transmission just plain scares me and am considering the Swing. I'm not sure if I'm going to trade in the Burgman or keep it (I do love Burgie), I was thinking about using it for commuting and the Swing for the longer recreational rides. The mileage isn't a huge concern in and around the city because it's going to be low due to the traffic but would be nice to hit around 50mpg on the highway.
I forgot to ask, how is the leg room, I'm only 5'10" and find the the Burgman to fit me perfectly.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

SWing questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: SWing questions   SWing questions I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 13, 2011 10:35 am

Keith it sounds like you are going through the same as I did when considering a move.

Your right about the Big Burgers transmission. Way too complicated and adds a small fortune to the annual service costs if outside the warranty. When doing my comparisons, Burgman 650 vs Silver Wing the Wing won by a considerable margin. Taking into account, initial cost, servicing costs, complicated systems, ease of maintenance, ergonomics - the list goes on. The wing was a decisive winner and after over 2 years I have not regretted the decision. Big fan of the AN400 but the 650 gets a huge thumbs down.

As for leg room, I have a short leg and found the Burgman AN400 to be perfect for me, the cut outs on the floor boards making it even easier. I am 5' 8" and am quite able to plant both feet on the ground, not flat but the balls of both feet comfortably sat on the Wing.

Two things took getting used to. The Wings narrower profile, which as you will appreciate makes commuting that bit easier and the engine braking.

Good luck in your decision making the right choice. It is personal and the views are my own, others may see things differently of course.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

SWing questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: SWing questions   SWing questions I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 13, 2011 12:51 pm

I thought about this for awhile---having had both Burgman 400 (2008) and Silverwing600 (2009) model both bought new and turned into used by lots of use. If nothing else, SilverWing as Honda gives you satisfaction it probably won't break.

There is gas mileage difference, although I am cheap, gas cost doesn't bother me.....but range on tank. SilverWing ridden hard can use a lot of gas.....thus have shorter range=more gas stops than Burgman 400.

Both are big for heavy traffic and getting in and out....and staying out of idiots way.

Transmission----both rubber band drive---I think SilverWing is smoother in power flow----lots of slow speed stuff and clutches/belts make funny noise---"burn out" running engine up against brakes makes it go away. Same applies to Burgman400.-----My long time take: probably 250cc is about design/power limit for belt drive to be perfect---Helix was good, only a little harmless belt slap on inner case---Reflex near perfect. Daelim 125cc in Korea = perfect, no belt, clutch worries even abused on heavy traffic. Power output?

I too am in market for new scooter, Feb-March 2012 and am now in process of trying to find best trade in deal from Suzuki or a Honda dealer on my NT700V Honda. One more plus for me MPG display on Burgman 400 AND FOUR way flashers!

650 Burgman interests me----but heavy/ small tank and I think heavy throttle hand enjoying the performance would mean lots of gas stops. Electric windshield plus plus....rear wheel removal with no exhaust system or swing arm side removal=plus,plus! RPM on highway is not issue for me----Japanese designs can handle wide open running.

I found SilverWing comfortable---windmanagement pretty good with, some Baker Air Wings and home made shields to keep air off ankles....and of course GIVI adjustable Windshield-----Burgman 400 was never uncomfortable for me once I got the buffeting problem in hand.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2009-06-29

SWing questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: SWing questions   SWing questions I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 13, 2011 4:09 pm

I'm 6' tall and can't stretch my legs out straight (not that I want to) on my Silverwing but there's plenty of space to be comfy over long distances.

Several friends with 650 Burgers are having trouble with the flap over the petrol cap breaking and falling off - one is on his fourth!
Very poor for such an expensive machine.
Back to top Go down
InfernoST
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

SWing questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: SWing questions   SWing questions I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 14, 2011 5:04 am

Thanks for everyones input, I guess the next stop is trying to find a shop that has a Swing on the showroom floor so I can check the fitment. I can't believe the Swing doesn't have 4 way flashers, I do find this to be important as I have had to pull over under overpasses because of torrential down pours and lightning storms at which point I put on the hazards so the bike can be seen while I hung out on the other side of the guard rail. I guess this is something I can wire in after the fact.
I was looking up some of the replacement parts for the bike and found them to be much cheaper than my Burgman which is a good thing.
Back to top Go down
InfernoST
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

SWing questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: SWing questions   SWing questions I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 14, 2011 9:42 am

It would be very simple to tap into the existing wiring harness using a couple of diodes and adding a new switch. I haven't seen any after market bike specific amber lights but they do make battery powered flashing amber lights which can be found at a safety supply house or an emergency light for an auto at the auto supply store.

One other thing that I'm questioning is why are they using 13 and 14" tires?
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

SWing questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: SWing questions   SWing questions I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 14, 2011 9:46 am

InfernoST wrote:

I seem to remember Honda saying the mix gave the best stability for the machine after testing with a mixture of wheel sizes.
Back to top Go down
InfernoST
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

SWing questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: SWing questions   SWing questions I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 14, 2011 9:51 am

Waspie wrote:
InfernoST wrote:

I seem to remember Honda saying the mix gave the best stability for the machine after testing with a mixture of wheel sizes.

Thanks, but the smaller tires can't compete with some of these stinkin potholes here in NYC, larger tires would be better but it wont be a deal breaker. On a couple of occasions I thought I had loosened a few teeth hitting some of those bad boys.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

SWing questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: SWing questions   SWing questions I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 14, 2011 10:46 am

The answer really is a Motor Cycle proper! Bigger wheels. (Less cargo space, no protection - blah blah blah!!!!!) Laughing
Back to top Go down
redeye
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2010-10-13

SWing questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: SWing questions   SWing questions I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 14, 2011 1:44 pm

InfernoST wrote:
Thanks, but the smaller tires can't compete with some of these stinkin potholes here in NYC, larger tires would be better but it wont be a deal breaker. On a couple of occasions I thought I had loosened a few teeth hitting some of those bad boys.
After purchasing a motorcycle with 18" tires, I immediately began to notice the difference in ride quality on roads that aren't very smooth compared to the Swing's 13"/14" setup. But the Swing has so many attractive features, it will probably share riding time with the new motorcycle, and the Morphous, for some time. As you mentioned, the smaller tires aren't a deal-breaker.
Back to top Go down
dikkiedo
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2012-01-16

SWing questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: SWing questions   SWing questions I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 4:47 am

i think the swing handles slow moving traffic fairly well i usually idle along just keeping enuff power to roll along at 25 or so just takes a bit of pratice. i agree about the potholes and i try my best to avoid em when possible or i briefly stand a little. i went from riding a little klx 250s to the swing so i have to remember not to hit em. my bike runs about 5500 rpms at 65 MPH i asked the honda shop and they said that was normal. keeping it at 65MPH is kinda tuff though. i rode the 650 exc burgman and prefered the swings tranny it was smoother in operation to me. the underseat storage isnt bad i can put my full face XL fulmer helm and a XL half helm with my raingear and gloves and assorted junk. plus i got the v46 topbox that works good too. the real test is try em both out and see which fits you best. i rode several types of cycles from cruisers,sport,dual sport and scooters just to be sure i would be happy with mine. good luck in your search.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

SWing questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: SWing questions   SWing questions I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

SWing questions
Page 1 of 1