Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
Introduction - questions about buying a used SWing I_icon_minitimeby john grinsel Today at 5:41 pm

» I said Farewell...
Introduction - questions about buying a used SWing I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Today at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Introduction - questions about buying a used SWing I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Introduction - questions about buying a used SWing I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Introduction - questions about buying a used SWing I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Introduction - questions about buying a used SWing I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Introduction - questions about buying a used SWing I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Introduction - questions about buying a used SWing I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Introduction - questions about buying a used SWing I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Introduction - questions about buying a used SWing I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Introduction - questions about buying a used SWing

Go down 
+7
PHXScooterBill
buddy19520
Daboo
toolboxjesse
jobo2mi
"Hi Yo"
Mark Vegas
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Mark Vegas
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Mark Vegas

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Introduction - questions about buying a used SWing Empty
PostSubject: Introduction - questions about buying a used SWing   Introduction - questions about buying a used SWing I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2011 1:16 am

Hi everyone - I haven't ridden in 20-30 years but want to get back into it so I'm going to be looking at a 2003 SWing with very low miles and my concern is the state of the fluids because the owner doesn't know when, if ever, any of the fluids were changed.

She got the bike from her dad who put 2,000 on it then gave it to her and it was too big for her and she dropped it so it's been parked the past year or so.

I seem to recall that the crankcase oil is supposed to be changed every 2,000 miles or twice a year and the bike is 8 years old so if the oil has never been changed should I be concerned that the motor could be damaged because of it?

And what about the gas tank/fuel system and other fluids? If I buy the bike should I be concerned about the brake, transmission, and radiator fluids and change them too? And how about the forks and rubber components, drive belt, hoses, tires etc.?

Any comments on the upside/downside of buying a 2003 with low miles but no ABS and little to no maintenance done on it? I think I'll probably buy the bike if it rides good and the motor sounds ok so please let me know what you think.
Thx
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Introduction - questions about buying a used SWing 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Introduction - questions about buying a used SWing   Introduction - questions about buying a used SWing I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2011 2:08 am

You know you're going to change all the fluids for your own peace of mind. There are some great pictorials and help in the maintenance section. I don't think very many people change the oil every 2000 miles. The belt is usually good for 16k. Fresh fuel and an additive to clean the fuel system is a must, I would think. I've heard a lot of people reccomend Seafoam (available at Wal*Mart and many auto part stores). Also check the tires for weather cracking. This might be a bargaining point. Also, the battery might need to be replaced, if it hasn't been maintained. There's a wealth of information on here from people who have bought used bikes. If you can get it at a price so you can replace things that need replaced and do your own maintenance, I think you will be happy. Oh, and for the record, welcome to the forum. welcome
Back to top Go down
jobo2mi
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
jobo2mi

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2011-06-06

PostSubject: Re: Introduction - questions about buying a used SWing   Introduction - questions about buying a used SWing I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2011 6:01 am

You will love your new Swing!! Just for peace of mind, I would change all fluids and then GO SCOOTING!!! motorcycle Can't beat the fun of a smooth riding Swing!! Welcome to the forum!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.josbooks4kids.com
Mark Vegas
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Mark Vegas

PostSubject: Re: Introduction - questions about buying a used SWing   Introduction - questions about buying a used SWing I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2011 10:44 am

I suppose I should restate my initial intro/question. I know I'll want to change all the fluids right away. My real concern is what the impact would be of leaving original fluids in the machine for 8 years.

I'm most concerned with the motor and what old oil might have done to it, but the cooling system concerns me too (does old anti-freeze gum up or degrade the radiator?). I don't know about old brake and trans fluids and if they might have a negative impact on the lines and seals. And the forks have rubber seals too so is that a concern I should have too?

I just have a big concern that if I buy the bike I'll be on the hook for a LOT of maintenance $$$ from the get go and I don't have the physical or financial capacity right now to do much beyond an oil/filter change so any advice or insight you can give on what's in store for me if I get this Swing will be greatly appreciated. And thanks HiYo and Scooter Jo for the welcome. I appreciate it.
Back to top Go down
toolboxjesse
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
toolboxjesse

Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2011-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Introduction - questions about buying a used SWing   Introduction - questions about buying a used SWing I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2011 11:15 am

I bought my 2003 from a guy who bought it at an estate auction and he said it wasn't ridden in quite some time- the original owner was deceased so there was no firsthand info on the bike. The guy I bought it from said the fuel injectors were clogged and he had to have the fuel system flushed to get it to run. Hopefully if it runs Seafoam or Duralube gas treatment will work for you.
Back to top Go down
Daboo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Daboo

Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2009-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Introduction - questions about buying a used SWing   Introduction - questions about buying a used SWing I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2011 6:52 pm

The gas would be my biggest concern. However, you may be lucky there too. Seafoam, or even just a moisture remover from your local auto parts store would do the trick. Just be sure to measure what you put in. Those little bottles are the quantity for a car's gas tank.

Regarding the oil, I wouldn't worry about it. The engine is sealed from anything coming in from the outside, like moisture even, so just change the oil.

Chris
Back to top Go down
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Introduction - questions about buying a used SWing   Introduction - questions about buying a used SWing I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 01, 2011 10:35 pm

The Silverwing seems to be a pretty durable mechanical beastie.

I would not worry that you will end up buying an expensive maintenance nightmare just because it sat for a while. I would probably attempt to siphon the fuel out of the tank and replace it with fresh gas before starting it. A year is a long time for today's gas (typically with ethanol), and I would be concerned about any gum/varnish being drawn through the injection system. When adding fresh gas, I would consider adding some SeaFoam at the same time, or shortly after you buy it.

Also, I would assume that you will need a new battery ($100 or so, I think), new tires ($200-300 mounted), fresh brake fluid and coolant (another couple hundred maybe). Build it all into the purchase price.

I got my 2003 in 2009 from the original owner. It had 3800 miles on it. The tires had a little evidence of age, but they didn't seem bad. Considering yours would now be eight years old, instead of six, I would just replace the tires now. I did not bother to change the brake fluid or coolant until this past March (and the original owner said he had not changed it either). So far, the brakes work the same, and the motor has never run hot before or after the change.

I really doubt that any damage has been done to the machine from the lack of attention. But, try to avoid running the old fuel through it.

EDIT - Re: the belt - I used mine until it reached 16,000 miles this summer. When I changed it, it had no cracking or checks in it, and still worked pretty well for an old belt. I kept it for a spare, and would not be concerned about using it longer.
Back to top Go down
Mark Vegas
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Mark Vegas

PostSubject: Re: Introduction - questions about buying a used SWing   Introduction - questions about buying a used SWing I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 01, 2011 11:58 pm

Hey everybody - well your words of advice and encouragement got me past my doubts and I went ahead and bought the SWing. Unfortunately to get from Flagstaff back home to Las Vegas I had to ride through rain and a hail storm in the high desert plus more rain, thunder, lightning, and a freaking gale over the final 100 miles. But I survived to tell the tale so all's well that ends well.

And of course today was a beautiful blue sky day with clouds occasionally floating by to offer some relief from the desert sun. In hindsight I should have spent the night in AZ and rode back this morning in the calm after the storm. Of course if I had I wouldn't have been treated to that amazing desert light show or gotten the great cardio workout from fighting the elements to keep the bike rubber side down...

I can't wait to start exploring the paths less traveled around here, on my sweet (like new:) SWing. Wish me luck. I'll see you on the boards!
Back to top Go down
PHXScooterBill
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
PHXScooterBill

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2011-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Introduction - questions about buying a used SWing   Introduction - questions about buying a used SWing I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 02, 2011 1:18 am

Mark,
I didn't see your location part of the profile filled out but could tell by your moniker that you were a fellow Las Vegan. You know, before I bought my Silver Wing, I also was considering two distant S-Wings on craigslist, one in Kingman, and one in Flagstaff. The distance to travel back on a hitherto unfamiliar bike through uncharted terrain (I was new here) kept me undecided until a real nice red '03 one just happened one day to be sitting in front of my local Wal-Mart off of Boulder Hwy & Nellis Blvd. I waited a while until the owner came out to ask him how he liked the bike as I was eyeing another one in Henderson. He came out and lo and behold, he was looking to sell and get a Goldwing. His '03 S-Wing had 30k miles but was meticulously maintained compared to lower mileage ones, like the ones I was eyeing. Anyways, I've been riding it happily ever since. Wink You will find riding here (especially outside of the city) to be an adventure. PM me when you can to see if you'd like to meet up. cheers
Stay safe man--as Vegas car drivers are the pits.
Back to top Go down
redeye
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2010-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Introduction - questions about buying a used SWing   Introduction - questions about buying a used SWing I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 02, 2011 11:00 am

Mark Vegas wrote:
...I went ahead and bought the SWing.
Congratulations on your new ride and success in getting it home! Sounds like quite an adventure. I purchased a 2002 Silver Wing just over a year ago with only 6,650 miles but had the same concerns as you about the engine oil, other fluids, tire sidewall cracks, and maintenance history in general. One by one I have addressed most of them but still have a couple items on the check list. The Silver Wing was my daily commuter all spring and summer; it was (and still is) solid and dependable the entire time.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Introduction - questions about buying a used SWing   Introduction - questions about buying a used SWing I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 02, 2011 3:24 pm

Welcome to the friendliest Silverwing forum. Please either add yourself or post to be added to the Silverwing600 Google map https://www.silverwing600.com/t3317-silverwing600-rescue-google-map-and-list#30200
Back to top Go down
armelão
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
armelão

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2010-05-11

PostSubject: Re: Introduction - questions about buying a used SWing   Introduction - questions about buying a used SWing I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 02, 2011 5:35 pm

Hi! i buy my 2001 Silver Wing 600 in 2010 whith 8000 KM´s,the scooter was close on a garage for 7 years,i change all the fluids including oil of front suspension,and now the SW have 28000 KM´s and it´s a very very good motorcycle,its my first second hand scooter,i had a lot of them new,but never had nothing like this,oh by the way,i don´t change the drive belt ,its original and it looks like new.
I have made some "bricolage" in my SW that you can see in this forum:
http://www.maxiscootersportugal.com/forum/index.php?topic=2782.0

PS: Sorry my american is not very good...
Back to top Go down
Paulk
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2011-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Introduction - questions about buying a used SWing   Introduction - questions about buying a used SWing I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 11:47 pm

Hi All,

Im from Toronto Canada, almost 61 yrs young, have had many bikes over the years, even the 500cc V twin Silverwing from years gone by. I purchased my wing by accident. Last January some snow hit, I told my wife I'd be back soon, just going to Honda for a snowblower part. While waiting at the parts counter I spotted a sleek looking bike in the show room. It was the Silverwing, a previously enjoyed 2007 model, what a gorgeous machine. Auto tranny, antilock brakes, only 4000 km on it! I just sold my 1983 Suzi GS850 a year earlier, but, alas, the itch to feel the wind in the face was back! Back at home the wife was wondering what took so long. It was tough explaining what happened but it was accepted, sort of....
I enjoy the scooter a lot, only bug has been the smaller wheels, but I learned to slalom around manhole covers to avoid the jolt in the back and I try to avoid nite riding if I can. The bike turns heads often, I'm surprised not to see more Wings on the road. Overall I'm very pleased with the bike.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Introduction - questions about buying a used SWing 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Introduction - questions about buying a used SWing   Introduction - questions about buying a used SWing I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 04, 2011 1:48 am

welcome Paulk welcome
Back to top Go down
redeye
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2010-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Introduction - questions about buying a used SWing   Introduction - questions about buying a used SWing I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 04, 2011 5:40 am

Welcome, Paulk! That's a great story about finding your Silver Wing while looking for something else. Wish there was a video of your explanation to the wife. It would be a useful training aid for many forum members when they "find" their next bikes!
Back to top Go down
Paulk
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2011-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Introduction - questions about buying a used SWing   Introduction - questions about buying a used SWing I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2011 9:51 pm

I'm just lucky she has a sense of humor. She said I must be going thru some kind of mid-life crisis. That was OK with me, it could have been much worse.... Wink

Paul

redeye wrote:
Welcome, Paulk! That's a great story about finding your Silver Wing while looking for something else. Wish there was a video of your explanation to the wife. It would be a useful training aid for many forum members when they "find" their next bikes!
Back to top Go down
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Introduction - questions about buying a used SWing   Introduction - questions about buying a used SWing I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 09, 2011 10:42 pm

I like the part where 61 qualifies as mid-life. At 53, I thought I was already there!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Introduction - questions about buying a used SWing   Introduction - questions about buying a used SWing I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Introduction - questions about buying a used SWing
Page 1 of 1