Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
Oxford Heated Overgrips... For those colder days! I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Today at 12:04 pm

» Left brake micro-switch
Oxford Heated Overgrips... For those colder days! I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Oxford Heated Overgrips... For those colder days! I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
Oxford Heated Overgrips... For those colder days! I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

» Silverwing Brakes
Oxford Heated Overgrips... For those colder days! I_icon_minitimeby Silverwingdays Fri May 10, 2024 6:20 am

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Oxford Heated Overgrips... For those colder days! I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Wed May 08, 2024 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
Oxford Heated Overgrips... For those colder days! I_icon_minitimeby COMick Tue May 07, 2024 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Oxford Heated Overgrips... For those colder days! I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Oxford Heated Overgrips... For those colder days! I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Oxford Heated Overgrips... For those colder days! I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Oxford Heated Overgrips... For those colder days!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Bernardo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Bernardo

Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2008-12-25

Oxford Heated Overgrips... For those colder days! Empty
PostSubject: Oxford Heated Overgrips... For those colder days!   Oxford Heated Overgrips... For those colder days! I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 25, 2008 6:37 pm

Hello there!

I actually posted this on two different forums a few weeks ago, and although it pertains to a mod I made to my bike, this is just as relevant to riding a scoot. Furthermore these have been the most effective method of keeping my hands warm yet, so I thought I'd post it here. Anyway, it's a good value for money option on E-bay £35, and frankly of all the "ideas" so far for warm hands, these rock! With a decent set of winter gloves these keep your hands well toasty, IMHO better than heated handlebar grips, or the battery heated gloves. I've got heated grips on my scoot, which are good, but not as good as these. Plus there is no thermostat to go wrong, or to cut power to the grips when you most need them... Power drainage is supposed to be a maximum of 18 watts, so nothing too heavy... They do make the handlebar grips a little thicker, but if anything this makes it more comfortable. Note, the inside of the grip is rubberized so they don't slip when you twist the throttle.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OXFORD-HOTHANDS-HEATED-MOTORCYCLE-OVER-GRIPS-HOTGRIPS_W0QQitemZ360115626671QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Motorcycle_Parts?hash=item360115626671&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

I treated myself after reading this USA review.. (you can get these in the States too)

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/heated-motorcycle-grips/

And the review is quite accurate, they are excellent, and IMHO even better than BMW's own super expensive fitted grips. Alas on mine the little LED doesn't work, but otherwise the switch is fine. I'll get a new one under the 2 year warranty when its warmer weather and I don't need them on the bike...

Ten minutes to fit, and another 30 minutes to find a convenient route for the wiring harness.... However, dependant on which scoot you ride routing the wiring harness from the battery may take a bit longer if you decide to remove bits of tupperware to get to the best "route." On my bike it was easy. From the battery and with judicious use of several cable ties I ran the main wire up under the right hand side of the tank, under the right of the head stock and up to the right hand handlebar, to under the switch cluster. The grips velcro over the handlebars, and have their own little wiring harness that was easy to wrap around the existing wires and cables on the handlebars. I mounted the on off switch on the top right handlebar, on top of a bit of rubber to stop it sliding about.

Oxford Heated Overgrips... For those colder days! P1000248

Oxford Heated Overgrips... For those colder days! P1000249

Oxford Heated Overgrips... For those colder days! P1000250

As to the block connectors joining the main harness to the handlebar grips, I left them loose under the right handlebar switch cluster so it's easy to access. To stop them flapping in the breeze and to keep them safely tucked away and out of sight I wrapped them in a small piece of thick anti slip matting, and stuffed them up underneath the switch cluster. They are well protected there especially with the wind deflectors (Laminar Ears) I fitted to the fairing a few weeks ago.

Oxford Heated Overgrips... For those colder days! P1000251

Oxford Heated Overgrips... For those colder days! P1000253

An added bonus is that the connectors are the same type that my Optimate battery tender uses. So I can also use the connection for connecting the battery to the optimate.

For £35, and 40 minutes of your time, (give or take!) these have got to be one of the most value for money options for keeping your pinkies warm over the winter months.....

If you really want to go for super warm toasted hands, (though this IMHO is overkill, unless you ride in really cold climes) then you can also get some of battery heated gloves on E-bay..... For even as little as £10-£15 you can get them, including those whose heating element runs across the back of the hand. However they are not "bike gloves" so a good overmitt is needed if it rains.....

On a final note, don't forget, that with these grips, it takes minutes to take them off... So in the summer if you don't want your super cool looking handlebar grips to be hidden by a thick layer of ugly heated velcro, well no problem... Just take em off...

Happy Riding! Smile
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Oxford Heated Overgrips... For those colder days!   Oxford Heated Overgrips... For those colder days! I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 10, 2009 6:07 am

With the cooler temps coming on this may be worth a second look for some who are trying to extend their riding season.

The first link in Bernardos post may be defunct, but these links take you to sites that sell them in the USA: http://www.lockitt.com/AccessoriesGrips3.htm or http://www.motoliberty.com/prod_detail.asp?Prod_ID=192. At the very least search for 'hot hands oxford grips' using your favorite search engine.

Good find Bernardo.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Oxford Heated Overgrips... For those colder days!   Oxford Heated Overgrips... For those colder days! I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 10, 2009 6:51 am

Very interesting!

I hadn't really ever considered them for me but had thought of getting some for my pillion - a piece of broom-handle clad in hot overgrips might work wonders. Oxford Heated Overgrips... For those colder days! Icon_smile
Back to top Go down
Cornishman
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Cornishman

Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2009-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Oxford Heated Overgrips... For those colder days!   Oxford Heated Overgrips... For those colder days! I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 10, 2009 6:55 am

I tried these but couldn't get on with the added thickness to the grips.

Mike, I think Keith used that idea of a heated piece of broomstick for Lesley IIRC.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Oxford Heated Overgrips... For those colder days!   Oxford Heated Overgrips... For those colder days! I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 10, 2009 7:28 am

Ah, yes Bob! I thought I'd nicked the idea from someone!
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Oxford Heated Overgrips... For those colder days!   Oxford Heated Overgrips... For those colder days! I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 10, 2009 7:35 am

My apologies to those of you accross the pond. I should have included some up to date links for you as well.

And what a great idea for the pillion - very thoughtfull!
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Oxford Heated Overgrips... For those colder days!   Oxford Heated Overgrips... For those colder days! I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 10, 2009 8:00 am

Not a problem!
A quick Google after your clues usually does the trick. Oxford Heated Overgrips... For those colder days! Icon_smile
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Oxford Heated Overgrips... For those colder days!   Oxford Heated Overgrips... For those colder days! I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 10, 2009 10:24 am

I had the Honda heated grips fitted on mine as I had previously found the Oxford wrap rounds too cumbersome for my dainty digits!!!!!

Roll on winter, throw what you will at me I don't care my fingers will be toasty!! :m/c:
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oxford Heated Overgrips... For those colder days!   Oxford Heated Overgrips... For those colder days! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Oxford Heated Overgrips... For those colder days!
Page 1 of 1