Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Oxford Heated Hand Grips Review I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Oxford Heated Hand Grips Review I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Oxford Heated Hand Grips Review I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Oxford Heated Hand Grips Review I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Oxford Heated Hand Grips Review I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Oxford Heated Hand Grips Review I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Oxford Heated Hand Grips Review I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Oxford Heated Hand Grips Review I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Oxford Heated Hand Grips Review I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Oxford Heated Hand Grips Review I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Oxford Heated Hand Grips Review

Go down 
+8
Ken VB
dspevack
Cosmic_Jumper
woodworker
Haakon
tinman
Atrick
smorkle
12 posters
AuthorMessage
smorkle
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
smorkle

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2010-08-21

Oxford Heated Hand Grips Review Empty
PostSubject: Oxford Heated Hand Grips Review   Oxford Heated Hand Grips Review I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 6:35 pm

I got some Oxford Heated Grips for Christmas and I installed them today. I have a 2008 Silverwing.

Here is a link to the ones I installed.

Right out of the box I didn't like the feel of the new grips. The OEM ones are a lot softer on the hands, but I wear gloves 100% of the time so I don't really feel those too much anyhow. Removing the old ones was an easy project taking a grand total of about 2 minutes. I put some used motor oil on them to get the new grips to slip on as they were really tight.

I had to remove a couple of other accessories to install these. I had a RAM mount on the left side that came with a cup holder (which I rarely ever used) and I had a Vista Cruise throttle lock on the right side that I have used frequently. The wiring for the heated grips comes out of the grip at the exact place where the vista cruise is designed to grip the throttle. These items will be missed, but I'm hoping to figure out a way to reinstall the vista cruise.

The Oxford Heated Hand Grips comes with a control box and bracket that mounts nicely to the two bolts that hold on the left brake cylinder assembly. It comes with new, longer bolts that fit right in there with some spacers. The finished product looks pretty nice, almost like it came that way.

The left grip you can hardly notice the wire but the throttle side has a wire hanging out of it and must be adjusted so that it both has enough slack to be able to spin and not hit the brake handle.

I didn't have to remove a whole lot of panels for wiring access. I took off the windshield cover in the front, the handlebar plastic cover, the passenger left foot peg and the lower plastic panel below the left foot rest. I did break one of the holding tabs but was lucky enough so that it was where three pieces came together and still was able to move the speed nut onto one of the other pieces and you cant even tell there's anything wrong.

Now for the only negative I really found for installation. The wiring has pre-made connectors that have to snap together just a certain way and there is a hidden junction box that has to mount up under the plastic somewhere. The connector for the main control box HAS to be fed from the handlebar end down and not the opposite direction unless you want to pull the controller itself back up through the plastics. The wiring could be about a foot (30cm) longer. I was just barely able to get the wire back to the junction box. It came with a fuse and a link to put on the battery and there was room in the battery box for those with no problem. There is a separate wire that you have to pull down that connects to the grips themselves, but it was plenty long enough.

After I got it completely installed (as per instructions) I realized that there was no interface with the ignition so that it can run when the bike is not. I may go to an auto parts store and buy myself a little 12V relay and install it so that if you turn off the engine then the headed grips automatically shut off. I am worried that if I leave them on it will quickly run down the battery.

Installation took me about 2½ hours, but I was taking my time. There were no "gotcha" moments or strange surprises and the kit came with everything I needed including 4 wire ties (although I used more than 4.)

I didn't get to ride it today but I did start the bike up and run it for a while and they heated up nicely. The controller has 4 heat settings shown as 100%, 75%, 40% and 30%. Every time you turn it on it starts at 30%. I'm looking forward to finding a decent day to ride and giving them a good trial.

I hope that's of any help to anyone interested in these.
Back to top Go down
Atrick
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Atrick

Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2012-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Oxford Heated Hand Grips Review   Oxford Heated Hand Grips Review I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 12:47 am

A somewhat easy-fit alternative:

At the beginning of the winter of 2011 I bought a set of Oxford HotHands Over Grips (OF694) for my SH300i & plugged them into the 12v socket. Held in place by Velcro, they heated up quickly & worked perfectly - there's only a simple on/off switch so sometimes they got too hot!! ⭐ ⭐ ⭐

The advantages are they take 10seconds to fit/remove & can be used on any bike. They are also designed to be velcroed (?) to the inside of Oxford's handlebar muffs.

I don't need the overgrips with my Swing as it's got heated grips fitted so I've kept them to use on my Harley if I ever need to (not likely - long rides on warm sunny days only!). sunny
Back to top Go down
smorkle
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
smorkle

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2010-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Oxford Heated Hand Grips Review   Oxford Heated Hand Grips Review I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 5:55 pm

Today it was just barely warm enough to ride in to work so I did. Was 35°F (1°C) when I left the house. I used those heated grips the whole way. They kept my hands nice and toasty. They have 4 settings: 100%, 75%, 40% and 30% and I kept it on 40-75% most of the way. They warmed up in about 5 minutes when I started. I'm very impressed with this product. Happy happy happy!
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Oxford Heated Hand Grips Review   Oxford Heated Hand Grips Review I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 9:25 pm

I like that they come with a 2 year warranty, Its a real good product.
Back to top Go down
Haakon
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Haakon

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2013-05-23

PostSubject: Use with bar ends?   Oxford Heated Hand Grips Review I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 11, 2014 11:12 pm

I'm wondering if there is any problem having these with my weighted bar ends installed? I'm in San Francisco and as someone once said, the coldest winter I have experienced is summer in San Francisco.

Thanks for any pointers!
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Oxford Heated Hand Grips Review   Oxford Heated Hand Grips Review I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 12, 2014 12:00 am

They fit like the stock honda grips . A good selection of heat range.
Back to top Go down
woodworker
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2013-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Oxford Heated Hand Grips Review   Oxford Heated Hand Grips Review I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 12, 2014 5:31 am

Oxford grips made up the road from me ,so I bought a pair .Had them fitted when my bike went in for a service ,great product cannot stand cold hands .As tinman said comes with 2 yer warranty and on the newer ones they will switch off automatically if left on .Also haakon should not be a problem with bar end weights .  No 
Back to top Go down
Haakon
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Haakon

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2013-05-23

PostSubject: Re: Oxford Heated Hand Grips Review   Oxford Heated Hand Grips Review I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 9:06 pm

I got my Oxford Heaterz off Amazon.com and now I just need to install. My local shop said they wanted 3.5 hours for install,which equals nearly $400. Looks like I will have to get my hands dirty on this one.
Back to top Go down
woodworker
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2013-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Oxford Heated Hand Grips Review   Oxford Heated Hand Grips Review I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2014 8:25 am

Haakon seems a lot of money for fitting .Cost me £ 40 for labour guess that's about $60 your end .Perhaps a more labour intensive fitting on the big wing ,go steady .
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Oxford Heated Hand Grips Review   Oxford Heated Hand Grips Review I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2014 9:50 am

Cycle Gear has Heated Grips on sale for ~$40 http://www.cyclegear.com/motorcycle/Heated-Grips

And a Grip Heater kit on sale for ~$20 http://www.cyclegear.com/motorcycle/Trackside-Grip-Heaters

Tim
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Oxford Heated Hand Grips Review   Oxford Heated Hand Grips Review I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2014 10:57 am

Glad to see your product choice works for you.
I put Hot grips brand on my Silverwing because you can get them in 4.25 or 5.25 width (an inch longer than stock grips giving you more hand real estate.) Also it has a PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) control giving you a full range of heat strength.
Back to top Go down
Ken VB
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Ken VB

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2014-06-18

PostSubject: Re: Oxford Heated Hand Grips Review   Oxford Heated Hand Grips Review I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 22, 2014 1:09 am

I can get the original hot grips here in Alberta

Hot Grips can be installed on any motorcycle or ATV with 7/8" handlebars and an electrical system
capable of running a headlight. (Not recommended for metal throttle sleeves.) Complete with
resistors and switch for high/low heat.

Touring Hot Grip fits 0.875" handlebar and 1.00" throttle tube.
DESCRIPTION PART #
RETAIL
1" x 4.75" Hot Grips 709-041 $71.95- w shipping in Alberta
Back to top Go down
Ken VB
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Ken VB

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2014-06-18

PostSubject: Re: Oxford Heated Hand Grips Review   Oxford Heated Hand Grips Review I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 22, 2014 1:11 am

or even cheaper.  I have used these on snowmobiles.  cant beat the price

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Warm-Heat-Heated-Heater-Hand-Grip-Kit-Pads-for-Motorcycle-Handlebars-/310645594901?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Oxford Heated Hand Grips Review   Oxford Heated Hand Grips Review I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 22, 2014 12:07 pm

The big problem with "bargain" grip heaters is the resistor. Unless you can figure out how and where to securely mount that big ceramic resistor it just going to hang there suspended by those thin resistor leads and eventually break --right where the lead enters the ceramic, leaving not so much of a stub to reattach a line to.

Then good luck in finding a replacement resistor.

After having two of those resistor leads break on my scoot I finally eliminated the resistor all together by figuring out how to wire up standard turn signal type relay to replace that resistor. So now on the low-heat range the circuit runs thru the relay so that the full heat pulses ON/OFF thus effectively reducing the heat output. Works for me.
Back to top Go down
Ayjayroy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2014-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Oxford Heated Hand Grips Review   Oxford Heated Hand Grips Review I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2014 7:14 pm

Haakon wrote:
I'm wondering if there is any problem having these with my weighted bar ends installed? I'm in San Francisco and as someone once said, the coldest winter I have experienced is summer in San Francisco.

Thanks for any pointers!

Haakon,
That quote was by Mark Twain. Smile

Andy
Back to top Go down
kenvb
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
kenvb

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2014-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Oxford Heated Hand Grips Review   Oxford Heated Hand Grips Review I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2014 12:14 am

I have installed dozens of these cheap heated grips. they wrap around the stock ones. easy .

and CHEAP                          http://www.ebay.ca/itm/12V-Quick-Flexible-Motorcycle-Motor-Bike-Heat-Warm-Grip-Pads-Hand-Bar-Heater-/271618196885?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Oxford Heated Hand Grips Review   Oxford Heated Hand Grips Review I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2014 7:16 pm

Here's the link
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Oxford Heated Hand Grips Review   Oxford Heated Hand Grips Review I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2014 2:23 am

Every time I see your handle, Model28a, it reminds me of the old Teletype model 28. I hope you work better than they did.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Oxford Heated Hand Grips Review   Oxford Heated Hand Grips Review I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2014 7:54 pm

Sorry for the frustrated

exavid I used this handle when I was restoring my 1928 Model A Ford. I started out using model27T when I was restoring my 1927 Model T ford that I restored first. Then when I restored my Model A changed my handle to model28a and never bothered to think up a new handle. I guess I'm lazy.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Oxford Heated Hand Grips Review   Oxford Heated Hand Grips Review I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2014 8:19 pm

Restoring an A is something I always thought I'd do but doesn't look like it now. I've worked on them and get a kick out of the A but never had one. The T must be a lot of fun, I followed a T pickup with a canvas top on a back road a couple weeks ago. It was chugging along at 25-30mph on a 50mph road but I followed it just to watch it. Love the sound of those old machines.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oxford Heated Hand Grips Review   Oxford Heated Hand Grips Review I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Oxford Heated Hand Grips Review
Page 1 of 1