Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Drive belt prices
Headlight for Honda Silver Wing. I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 5:26 am

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Headlight for Honda Silver Wing. I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 4:12 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Headlight for Honda Silver Wing. I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Headlight for Honda Silver Wing. I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
Headlight for Honda Silver Wing. I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
Headlight for Honda Silver Wing. I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Yesterday at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
Headlight for Honda Silver Wing. I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Headlight for Honda Silver Wing. I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
Headlight for Honda Silver Wing. I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Headlight for Honda Silver Wing. I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Headlight for Honda Silver Wing.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Headlight for Honda Silver Wing. Empty
PostSubject: Headlight for Honda Silver Wing.   Headlight for Honda Silver Wing. I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 2:38 pm

swing If you need a new headlight for your Silver Wing don't go to the Honda Dealer instead mosey on over to your local Wal Mart and buy a GE H7-55 headlight for $9.86. It slides right in! According to GE the max life of a Silver Wing headlight is 500 hours or about 2 years at 12,000 miles a year.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Headlight for Honda Silver Wing.   Headlight for Honda Silver Wing. I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 5:38 pm

Thanks for the info Pete. I'm taking notes and thinking about compiling a list of parts that you don't have to go to a honda dealer for. :D
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Headlight for Honda Silver Wing.   Headlight for Honda Silver Wing. I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 5:58 pm

Mike - you are half way to a new bulb.

Does the hi-beam bulb last a few more miles if you don't use it as often? What do the guys over at GE have to say about that? Shocked
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com

PostSubject: Re: Headlight for Honda Silver Wing.   Headlight for Honda Silver Wing. I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 6:19 pm

The high beam will last forever if you don't use it. GE rates its headlights at 500 hours and their bulbs will not wear out if you never use them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Headlight for Honda Silver Wing.   Headlight for Honda Silver Wing. I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 6:26 pm

swing The Honda dealer is a big business. They get 300% mark-up on everything that comes in the door. A headlight bulb for a Silver Wing is $28 at a Honda dealer that same bulb {GE H7-55} at Wal Mart is $9.86. The only difference is the price. It's not just about the money. What if you are on the road on a Sunday or a Monday and your headlight goes down? What are you going to do call a tow truck?
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Headlight for Honda Silver Wing.   Headlight for Honda Silver Wing. I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 6:35 pm

Pete H wrote:
swing If you need a new headlight for your Silver Wing don't go to the Honda Dealer instead mosey on over to your local Wal Mart and buy a GE H7-55 headlight for $9.86. It slides right in! According to GE the max life of a Silver Wing headlight is 500 hours or about 2 years at 12,000 miles a year.

HID headlights do not have a filament only gas, so it is susceptible to vibration or wearing out like a filament ... not to mention that is very bright. sunny

That is why I love my HID ( http://www.ddmtuning.com/catalog/Motorcycle_HID_Kits-87-1.html ) headlights with Lifetime warranty bulbs and ballast.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

PostSubject: Re: Headlight for Honda Silver Wing.   Headlight for Honda Silver Wing. I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 7:10 pm

Actually all bulbs last until they burn out. Not a disputable fact.

I really have no plans to replace a good bulb, because it might go bad. In theory that could necessitate a replacement everytime you went for a ride. What if I have a burned out bulb? I guess if it is the low beam I'll ride with the high beam on until I can get it replaced. If it is the high beam that goes out, I guess I'll just replace it when I can... If both go out, well it must be the apocalypse, so who cares?

It may be handy to carry a spare, I won't dispute that. I also will most likely not do so, it's not the end of the world. But, do we have to buy it from that really small company - wal-mart?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Headlight for Honda Silver Wing.   Headlight for Honda Silver Wing. I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 2:14 pm

Ozzybee wrote:
Thanks for the info Pete. I'm taking notes and thinking about compiling a list of parts that you don't have to go to a honda dealer for. :D

swing If you're looking for some really cheap aftermarket parts for your Silver Wing then go to www.bikebandit.com and order Gold Fren #178 brake pads for the front wheel and Gold Fren #14 brake pads for the rear wheel. Total cost including shipping-about $35. Front and back brake pads at a dealer are going to be $80!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Headlight for Honda Silver Wing.   Headlight for Honda Silver Wing. I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 5:15 pm

Smile That's great Pete. Keep'em coming. I like the word "cheap" as long as it it does'nt come at the cost of quality. The item still has to perform. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Headlight for Honda Silver Wing.   Headlight for Honda Silver Wing. I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 9:02 pm

Ozzybee wrote:
Smile That's great Pete. Keep'em coming. I like the word "cheap" as long as it it does'nt come at the cost of quality. The item still has to perform. Smile

swing When you go to www.bikebandit.com go to search then select product search as opposed to OEM part search and then type in Gold Fren and it will give you a list of Gold Fren brake types. If that doesn't work just call Bike Bandit at 1-888-339-3888. Sometimes OEM parts are actually cheaper. Hose A, Water Lower and Hose B, Oil Cooler together aren't even $10 on the internet. They are molded shaped water hoses and you couldn't cut them yourself from a roll for the price that Honda sells them for.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Headlight for Honda Silver Wing.   Headlight for Honda Silver Wing. I_icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 3:28 am

The SWing uses H7 bulbs? We're in luck! And this touches on one of my favorite obsessive-compulsive subjects.

Don't go to Walmart! Go here: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/products/products.html

Stern sells top quality European bulbs. You can buy the 55 watt "+50" bulbs, which are a high-efficiency version of the standard wattage bulb and actually put out more light in a more precise pattern than the Wally World bulbs, or you can get daring and put in the illegal 65 watters. (Do your calculations, though, and make sure the bike's electrics can handle the extra draw.)

Do NOT buy PIAA or other Asian brands!

Do NOT buy "Hyperwhite" or other colored bulbs! Any colored coating on the envelope will REDUCE the light output. It stands to reason.

IGNORE any discussion of "color temperature." Making a headlamp that approximates the "color" of sunlight is not a good idea. Your eyes use a totally different set of light-receptive tools at night and actually pick out detail better in a YELLOW light. The fact that true HID lamps are "blue" is a byproduct of the design. It's not an advantage.

Pay no attention to "Xenon bulbs." Xenon is used in true HID lamps because it has to be. It does NOTHING to improve the light output of halogen incandescent bulbs! It is also one of the most expensive substances known to Man (it's a byproduct of nuclear power plants, actually) and is only used in halogen bulbs in minute, meaningless amounts as an advertising gimmick.

The best thing you can do for your lighting is to make sure the wiring is up to snuff. Manufacturers, even good ones like Honda, skimp on the stock wiring to save a few grams of weight and few pennies of expense. The headlight wiring is adequate when the bike is new, but all wiring deteriorates over time. IF you are lucky enough to get full power to the bulbs on a new bike, rest assured it will be below spec very quickly. The permanent solution is to install heavy-gauge, top quality wires directly from the BATTERY and use the stock wiring to trigger headlight relays. This is a good thing to do on older vehicles, and is an absolute necessity if you want to use over-wattage bulbs.

Disclaimer: High wattage bulbs are ILLEGAL for on-road use, and they can also melt your headlight! I suggest contacting Daniel Stern by email for specific advice. He makes his living doing this stuff. I highly recommend reading the FAQ and Tech sections of his website. The guy has forgotten more about automotive lighting than most engineers will ever know. He's a genius, and is not at all shy about telling you when the Emperor has no clothes.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Headlight for Honda Silver Wing.   Headlight for Honda Silver Wing. I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 11:36 pm

jdeereanton wrote:
Actually all bulbs last until they burn out. Not a disputable fact.

I dispute it. What if you step on the bulb?
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

PostSubject: Re: Headlight for Honda Silver Wing.   Headlight for Honda Silver Wing. I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 5:13 am

Context.

What if you are at ground zero in a nuclear attack?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Headlight for Honda Silver Wing.   Headlight for Honda Silver Wing. I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 9:16 pm

jdeereanton wrote:
Context.

What if you are at ground zero in a nuclear attack?

I'm sure I'd still find a way to argue the point.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Headlight for Honda Silver Wing.   Headlight for Honda Silver Wing. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Headlight for Honda Silver Wing.
Page 1 of 1