Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
4K mile maintenance questions I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 11:19 am

» New to Me Swing
4K mile maintenance questions I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
4K mile maintenance questions I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
4K mile maintenance questions I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
4K mile maintenance questions I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
4K mile maintenance questions I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
4K mile maintenance questions I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
4K mile maintenance questions I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
4K mile maintenance questions I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
4K mile maintenance questions I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

4K mile maintenance questions

Go down 
+4
buddy19520
model28a
JeffR_
texasswing
8 posters
AuthorMessage
texasswing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
texasswing

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2011-05-25

4K mile maintenance questions Empty
PostSubject: 4K mile maintenance questions   4K mile maintenance questions I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2011 9:16 pm

I am performing the scheduled 4000 mile maintenance on my '06. I cannot find anything on the 'Brake Lock Operation'. It may be referring to the parking brake, but I really have no idea.

Also can I perform the clutch shoes wear myself? Is there a tutorial around on this? I have done the rest of it with help at times from your posts here on the forum. What a great resource!
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: 4K mile maintenance questions   4K mile maintenance questions I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2011 10:03 pm

I have 34,000 miles on my SWing and haven't touched the clutch pads yet. The SWing goes a long time with some things and I think the clutch pads are one of those. It may not mean much to you but I would just change the oil and the final drive oil if I were you, and just check the fluids. I haven't even had my valves checked yet and it runs so smooth. Maybe others can chime in on what they did but the Swing doesn't really need too much IMO.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: 4K mile maintenance questions   4K mile maintenance questions I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2011 11:42 pm

texasswing welcome
Welcome to the best S/Wing site on the web.

JeffR_ wrote:
I have 34,000 miles on my SWing and haven't touched the clutch pads yet. The SWing goes a long time with some things and I think the clutch pads are one of those. It may not mean much to you but I would just change the oil and the final drive oil if I were you, and just check the fluids. I haven't even had my valves checked yet and it runs so smooth. Maybe others can chime in on what they did but the Swing doesn't really need too much IMO.

+ 1 on that only I have 26,000 instead of 34,000.
Belt,rollers,tires,oil,plugs I think that's all I've had to do.
Back to top Go down
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

PostSubject: Re: 4K mile maintenance questions   4K mile maintenance questions I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 12:39 am

Maintenance needs on these machines are minimal. Don't waste your time looking at the clutch - nobody seems to wear them out. Same for the parking brake shoes. It is possible that your brake pads will wear out, but probably not possible at 4,000 miles.

Change the oil and the drive oil (pictorials available on this site, Thank JeffR), check for anything loose and have fun!
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: 4K mile maintenance questions   4K mile maintenance questions I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 4:55 pm

At 4,000 miles on a 4 year old bike----I would look to changing brake fluid, coolant, hose inspection, tire aging. Belt? age? Clutch will make plenty of noise if bad.

Back to top Go down
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

PostSubject: Re: 4K mile maintenance questions   4K mile maintenance questions I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2011 12:01 pm

As John said, fluids and rubber parts do age and are worth looking at. My scoot was 6 years old when I got it (4000 miles). I just rode it with no problems. I only replaced the belt, brake fluid, radiator fluid this year. The belt still looks fine (16,000 miles) and its in the garage as a spare, and I can't tell any difference in the brakes or cooling (both worked fine before and after change).

My tires had some tiny cracking, but I had to squint to see it. I wore them out pretty quick anyhow. However, that is a safety issue and you may decide differently than I did.
Back to top Go down
texasswing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
texasswing

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2011-05-25

PostSubject: Re: 4K mile maintenance questions   4K mile maintenance questions I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2011 3:52 pm

Thanks for the responses. I bet there are more to come and I will consider all! I am going to change the brake fluid. The oil was changed at 1050 with synthetic and the tires were looked at by a dealer a few weeks back and he said drive them until they are worn, (no sign of cracking).

We are planning a trip to the Texas Hill Country in November to ride the twisted sisters, etc. and I just want to be sure that it will hang in there with the other three riding Harleys. Cool

I ride with them (Harley riders) pretty much weekly in East Texas, and two up I still take it easy on them on the starts from stop!

One that note, how can I expect the scooter to act on fairly steep downgrades without being able to downshift?
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: 4K mile maintenance questions   4K mile maintenance questions I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2011 4:40 pm

texasswing wrote:
We are planning a trip to the Texas Hill Country in November to ride the twisted sisters, etc.

Been there multiple times Cool

texasswing wrote:
One that note, how can I expect the scooter to act on fairly steep downgrades without being able to downshift?

If you travel below 15 MPH the clutch will disengage with no engine braking. If you blip the throttle the clutch will reengage and the engine braking will continue.

If you have the clutch engage for the engine braking .. you will not have any problems with the steep grades.
Back to top Go down
GaryL
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
GaryL

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2010-07-09

PostSubject: Re: 4K mile maintenance questions   4K mile maintenance questions I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2011 4:45 pm

Texas,

The engine braking is pretty significant. I have done a number of steep downhill switchbacks with no problem. The CVT transmission will adjust as you slow down, keeping the compression braking going. If you slow much below 15mph, the clutches will release and you will start to freewheel forward. Once you get above 15, just give it a bit of throttle, and they will re-engage and continue to provide braking. Once you do it once or twice, it will become second nature. There were a number of relatively steep sections (posted as 10%), where I actually had to keep some throttle on to keep from slowing down too much.

Enjoy the ride!! small moped
Back to top Go down
papa johns
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2010-06-15

PostSubject: Re: 4K mile maintenance questions   4K mile maintenance questions I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 01, 2012 9:49 am

My throttle control responds very well when I reduce speed. I try to move through the twists without brakes. Of course that my not be always possible but sweeping through corners in in my mind the joy of riding.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 4K mile maintenance questions   4K mile maintenance questions I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

4K mile maintenance questions
Page 1 of 1