Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
STP in your Silver Wing. I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 7:27 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
STP in your Silver Wing. I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 7:16 pm

» New to Me Swing
STP in your Silver Wing. I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
STP in your Silver Wing. I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
STP in your Silver Wing. I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
STP in your Silver Wing. I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» Drive belt prices
STP in your Silver Wing. I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
STP in your Silver Wing. I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
STP in your Silver Wing. I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
STP in your Silver Wing. I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

STP in your Silver Wing.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

STP in your Silver Wing. Empty
PostSubject: STP in your Silver Wing.   STP in your Silver Wing. I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 3:39 pm

For those of you that live in Texas of Florida or some other hot place during June July or August if you decide to go on a really long trip drain your oil pan and refill it with one quart of whatever oil you use and then one quart of ultra thick STP. That is to say during the trip and the 100 degree days you should use 50% STP in your Silver Wing. If you do use STP in your Silver Wing let it idle on the center stand for 5 minutes before you take off in the morning. You need not worry about 50% STP in your Silver Wing because on those 100 degree days over time the STP in your oil pan thins down to the thickness of your regular oil.
Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1025
Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: STP in your Silver Wing.   STP in your Silver Wing. I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 5:08 pm

This from the same source that told us about rotting brake pads???
Back to top Go down
http://www.joncallihan.com
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: STP in your Silver Wing.   STP in your Silver Wing. I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 6:14 pm

Pete H wrote:
For those of you that live in Texas of Florida or some other hot place during June July or August if you decide to go on a really long trip drain your oil pan and refill it with one quart of whatever oil you use and then one quart of ultra thick STP. That is to say during the trip and the 100 degree days you should use 50% STP in your Silver Wing. If you do use STP in your Silver Wing let it idle on the center stand for 5 minutes before you take off in the morning. You need not worry about 50% STP in your Silver Wing because on those 100 degree days over time the STP in your oil pan thins down to the thickness of your regular oil.

My oil does not break down from heat.

http://www.amsoil.com/frequent.aspx

AMSOIL Synthetic Motor Oils are highly resistant to the destructive
effects of heat, and do not break down like petroleum oils. This means
that AMSOIL Motor Oils can provide much longer drain intervals than
conventional lubricants.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: STP in your Silver Wing.   STP in your Silver Wing. I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 6:33 pm

Hey Texas guy before you hit the road know that Laredo Ft. Stockton Sanderson Van Horn and Alpine do not have Honda dealers. The good news is that if your drive belt breaks in Ft. Stockton and mine did in 2001 the 12 inch burger fries and cole slaw is free at the local truck stop if eaten in one hour!

Last edited by Pete H on Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: STP versus Amsoil.   STP in your Silver Wing. I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 6:38 pm

If you doubt that STP really works take 2 sheets of galvanized aluminum and pour STP on one and Amnsoil on the other and then pour a bunch of ball bearings on both and then rub the ball bearings on both. Which set of ball bearing gets hot first?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: STP in your Silver Wing.   STP in your Silver Wing. I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 6:52 pm

If you don't change your brake pads at 12,000 miles then the pads start to slowly eat into the rotor.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: STP in your Silver Wing.   STP in your Silver Wing. I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 9:55 pm

Pete H wrote:
Hey Texas guy before you hit the road know that Laredo Ft. Stockton Sanderson Van Horn and Alpine do not have Honda dealers. The good news is that if your drive belt breaks in Ft. Stockton and mine did in 2001 the 12 inch burger fries and cole slaw is free at the local truck stop if eaten in one hour!

I will be fine ... I have Platinum Good Sams Emergency Road Service ( http://www.goodsamers.com/benefits/platinum.cfm ).

No mileage restriction
Free car rental
$1,500.00 Trip interruption.

I was once stranded in the Arizona dessert with a transmission problem, I had to stand on the roof to get reception. Good Sam towed me hundreds of miles away for the first qualified repair facility that could immediately resolve my transmission without delay.

But I will keep an eye out for the truck stop. Razz
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: STP in your Silver Wing.   STP in your Silver Wing. I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 9:59 pm

Pete H wrote:
If you don't change your brake pads at 12,000 miles then the pads start to slowly eat into the rotor.

I would suggest reviewing your Owners or Service Manual for suggested maintenance.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: STP in your Silver Wing.   STP in your Silver Wing. I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 9:41 am

swing If you mess up your rotors on a Yamaha Majesty then no big deal the rotors for that bike cost less than $100 but if you mess up the rotors on a Honda Silver Wing they cost over $150 to replace-yikes!
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018

PostSubject: Re: STP in your Silver Wing.   STP in your Silver Wing. I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 11:15 pm

You mean this '05 SWing I bought last June with 2000 miles on it won't make it to the 4000 mark without installing new "special" brake pads and dumping in a half gallon of STP. Nah... I think it'll do a "little" bit better than that. Oh well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: STP in your Silver Wing.   STP in your Silver Wing. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

STP in your Silver Wing.
Page 1 of 1