Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
Possible Newbie from Scotland -looking for some advice/info I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Possible Newbie from Scotland -looking for some advice/info I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
Possible Newbie from Scotland -looking for some advice/info I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
Possible Newbie from Scotland -looking for some advice/info I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Possible Newbie from Scotland -looking for some advice/info I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Possible Newbie from Scotland -looking for some advice/info I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Possible Newbie from Scotland -looking for some advice/info I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Possible Newbie from Scotland -looking for some advice/info I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Possible Newbie from Scotland -looking for some advice/info I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Possible Newbie from Scotland -looking for some advice/info I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Possible Newbie from Scotland -looking for some advice/info

Go down 
+4
Waspie
lesley & John
jobo2mi
kb36
8 posters
AuthorMessage
kb36
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2011-06-23

Possible Newbie from Scotland -looking for some advice/info Empty
PostSubject: Possible Newbie from Scotland -looking for some advice/info   Possible Newbie from Scotland -looking for some advice/info I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 3:44 am

Hi all - just lookin for some advice/info

I am thinking of buying a used (2001 Y Reg) Silverwing 600cc. Approx 20,000 miles, couple of scratches

Used to have a Piaggio X9 125 but now want something with some more grunt.

Any thoughts on the above and what price might be reasonable. Also any tips on what to look out for etc. I am a bit concerned about the weight. My old machine was 180kg so bit of step up.

Cheers

Kev
Back to top Go down
jobo2mi
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
jobo2mi

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2011-06-06

PostSubject: Re: Possible Newbie from Scotland -looking for some advice/info   Possible Newbie from Scotland -looking for some advice/info I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 6:05 am

Welcome Kev!

I just took the big leap myself. I rode a Keeway 150 (just rolled over 9200 miles) that weighs approx 240 lbs (108k) to a Silverwing 600 that weighs approx 550 (almost 250k)!!! It is a change, but I'm getting used to it, although I must say at first I was terrified I was going to drop it or something. So far, so good!!

I have no idea what prices may be like in your country.

If you ask whether you should upgrade, I would say DEFINITELY!!! GO FOR IT!!!! You won't be sorry (at least I'm not cheers )

Hope to read more about your upgrade and pictures of your new 'steed'!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.josbooks4kids.com
lesley & John
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
lesley & John

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2010-09-19

PostSubject: possible newbie   Possible Newbie from Scotland -looking for some advice/info I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 12:42 pm

hi kb 36 you should be looking at paying no more than £1700 with that mileage that would be a good price as scooters hold their money.check if the belt has been changed should have already been done schedule is 16000 miles some would say the valve clearances to. but mine hasnt been done in 68000 miles and running fine so up to the individual.welcome to the site
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Possible Newbie from Scotland -looking for some advice/info   Possible Newbie from Scotland -looking for some advice/info I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 3:17 pm

Welcome Kev.

Delve into the various sections, lots of useful information.

Regards the weight, the 'Wing' is nicely balanced so powered or simply maneuvering around the garage/drive/road etc it really isn't a problem. (Not until it goes over and that happens with any weight of machine.) That said, much advice on here about recovering your 'wing' to the upright position.

Cannot advise about how much to pay for a used machine. Bought mine new and don't keep in touch with the second hand market.

Again, welcome and dive in.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3790
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Possible Newbie from Scotland -looking for some advice/info   Possible Newbie from Scotland -looking for some advice/info I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 3:44 pm

Hello Kev,
Glad you came over.

Mike (aka Mr.Chips)
Back to top Go down
kb36
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Possible Newbie from Scotland -looking for some advice/info   Possible Newbie from Scotland -looking for some advice/info I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 10:50 am

thanks for the advice - going to look at it tomorrow. It has 20k on clock - new belt has been fitted as have pads and new tyres. Anything else i should look out for (am not very mechanically minded). I see to remember some test where you stood in front of scoot with front wheel between legs and tried to move the handlebars to check for play etc.

Any tips greatly appreciated.

Kev
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Possible Newbie from Scotland -looking for some advice/info   Possible Newbie from Scotland -looking for some advice/info I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 5:20 pm

Look for the usual signs of a hard life.

Cracks in the plastic. Although plastics can be repaired, it is a good bartering point to start from.

Insist on it starting, it should start first time with little effort. Whilst the engine is running, blip the throttle for response then check out the lights. There is NO hazard light facility on the Silver Wing.

When starting a Silver Wing a common error we all make is to not squeeze the left brake lever hard enough. (Listen for TWO clicks.) This makes a micro switch which allow the starting circuit to engage. Best advice is to listen for the switch, then press the starter button on the right side of the handle bar.

I can't think of anything else, I guess others will add to my list.

Hope it's what you expect.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
kb36
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Possible Newbie from Scotland -looking for some advice/info   Possible Newbie from Scotland -looking for some advice/info I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2011 6:19 am

Decided to go for it and picking it up on Saturday

Cant wait!
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3790
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Possible Newbie from Scotland -looking for some advice/info   Possible Newbie from Scotland -looking for some advice/info I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2011 6:37 am

Excellent!
I'm sure you'll take it easy at first and soon get to know the bike. Smile
Back to top Go down
Acquit
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Acquit

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2011-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Possible Newbie from Scotland -looking for some advice/info   Possible Newbie from Scotland -looking for some advice/info I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2011 9:00 pm

kb36 wrote:

Cant wait!

Zoom Zoom!
Back to top Go down
AAAA
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 442
Registration date : 2010-11-14

PostSubject: Re: Possible Newbie from Scotland -looking for some advice/info   Possible Newbie from Scotland -looking for some advice/info I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2011 11:00 pm

kb36 wrote:

Cant wait!

You knew you were gonna pull the trigger!
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Possible Newbie from Scotland -looking for some advice/info   Possible Newbie from Scotland -looking for some advice/info I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 7:25 am

Kev ... welcome. You are gonna love the Swing AND this forum. We are all willing to help each other. Come on and have fun.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Possible Newbie from Scotland -looking for some advice/info   Possible Newbie from Scotland -looking for some advice/info I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Possible Newbie from Scotland -looking for some advice/info
Page 1 of 1