Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Left brake micro-switch
Givi E370 Monolock mounting? I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Givi E370 Monolock mounting? I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
Givi E370 Monolock mounting? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 8:11 am

» Silverwing Brakes
Givi E370 Monolock mounting? I_icon_minitimeby Silverwingdays Yesterday at 6:20 am

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Givi E370 Monolock mounting? I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Wed May 08, 2024 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
Givi E370 Monolock mounting? I_icon_minitimeby COMick Tue May 07, 2024 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Givi E370 Monolock mounting? I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Givi E370 Monolock mounting? I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Givi E370 Monolock mounting? I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Givi E370 Monolock mounting? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Givi E370 Monolock mounting?

Go down 
+3
bigbird
MikeO
hobbydave
7 posters
AuthorMessage
hobbydave
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2011-05-04

Givi E370 Monolock mounting? Empty
PostSubject: Givi E370 Monolock mounting?   Givi E370 Monolock mounting? I_icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2011 12:24 pm

I have finally decided on the Givi E370 topcase after reading about topcases until my eyes started to bleed! Smile It looks like the best choice for my daily use as a commuter.

My question is about mounting this directly to the rear wing. I know you can buy the heavier duty mount but I only need the case for light weight commuting not long trips. The Monolock comes with a nice mounting plate but I want to make sure I secure it properly to the SW. I am handy with tools once I'm pointed in the right direction by someone who as pulled apart the back of their bike. Can anyone give me some tips to make this go as smooth as possible? Thanks in advance for your response. David
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Givi E370 Monolock mounting?   Givi E370 Monolock mounting? I_icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2011 12:39 pm

The holes are already 'marked' on the Silverwing rear spoiler.

Remove the said silver bit - four bolts - take off the plastic undercover and you'll see raise tubes.
Drill through these, attach the Givi plate, reassemble and Bob's your uncle!

There's a pictorial of how to do this although it shows drilling only two of the holes, those for the Givi backrest. You can't go wrong if you follow it.

I bought a brand new drill-bit but it wasn't really necessary.

I'll find the link to the pictorial if no-one's beaten me to it.

'ere 'tis:

https://www.silverwing600.com/t31-givi-passenger-backrest-installation-pictorial

Click on Jeff's link in that post for the pictures.
Back to top Go down
hobbydave
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Givi E370 Monolock mounting?   Givi E370 Monolock mounting? I_icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2011 12:59 pm

Thanks for the link Mike! It doesn't look like that should be too difficult. Once again, thanks to Jeff for posting all the pdf guides to working on our SW. I am quite sure Jeff has single handedly reduced the use of 4 letter words by thousands.

Follow-up question...Is the rear wing flat enough for these mounting plates? The Coocase comes with the same flat plastic mount as the Monolock, says it needs to be secure to a flat surface. Has anyone had to use spacers to the the mount to fit correctly?
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Givi E370 Monolock mounting?   Givi E370 Monolock mounting? I_icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2011 1:34 pm

On mine, the metal bits which sit on the rear wing and on which the Givi plate sits have no spacers - they sit directly on it - unless they're so squashed I can't see them any more!

Givi make the system for the Silverwing so you need have no worries.

Incidentally, I discovered yesterday that Givi make the boxes which are branded 'Honda'.
Back to top Go down
hobbydave
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Givi E370 Monolock mounting?   Givi E370 Monolock mounting? I_icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2011 1:44 pm

I'm not buying the Givi mount since it is optional on the monolock boxes. The monolock comes with a universal mount which looks like it should fit directly to the rear wing and sit flat. Here is a picture of what I am talking about:

Givi E370 Monolock mounting? Gv-z1112

Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Givi E370 Monolock mounting?   Givi E370 Monolock mounting? I_icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2011 2:36 pm

Mm. Not sure about that.

You might need four spacers/thick washers or two thin strips of metal or wood (ash, for example) running fore and aft to allow for the slight curve from side to side of the rear wing.

I think also you may need longer bolts, too.

Sorry to be a bit vague but I can say definitely the rear wing is up to the job.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Givi E370 Monolock mounting?   Givi E370 Monolock mounting? I_icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2011 3:28 pm

I really like the mounting plate for the Givi boxes, as it allows you to use the mounting plate as a carrier when the top box is removed. I can bungee 2 large folding camping chairs to my plate when the top box is removed. I can also carry my 2 piece fishing rod with me as well. I have a passenger backrest installed with the mounting plate. Do you carry a passenger often?
Back to top Go down
hobbydave
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Givi E370 Monolock mounting?   Givi E370 Monolock mounting? I_icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2011 3:33 pm

bigbird wrote:
Do you carry a passenger often?

Never! The wife won't go near it so I'm not worried about passengers. I have been doing more research on the mount and think I have to buy the mount otherwise it may interfere with the seat opening. I didnt ride today but the universal mount is 9" long so I think it will over hang the back of the wing. I want the SW do look good with or without the topcase so a very clean install is important.
Back to top Go down
BillScooterDude
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
BillScooterDude

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2012-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Givi E370 Monolock mounting?   Givi E370 Monolock mounting? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 3:13 pm

This is an old subject but I just bought a Givi Monolock E370 top case with the universal base plate that is supposed to be for a Silver Wing. I followed the install instructions from a previous post and drilled through the 4 pre-marked holes in the rear spoiler. But the holes do not match up with the base plate.

Again any help on what I'm doing wrong would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bill
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Givi E370 Monolock mounting?   Givi E370 Monolock mounting? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 3:58 pm

There isn't a Givi universal base plate for the Silver Wing. There's the SR 19 the specific rear rack for Monokey top boxes, and the SR 19 M rear rack which is for Monolock top boxes. Both Givi rear racks install the same way utilising the four pre-marked holes.
Back to top Go down
BillScooterDude
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
BillScooterDude

PostSubject: Re: Givi E370 Monolock mounting?   Givi E370 Monolock mounting? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 4:16 pm

Meldrew

So the answer is I need to invest in the SR19M rack to complete the installation. The supplier who sold me the top case said the order included everything I needed, not so!

Thanks

Bill
Back to top Go down
Silver Dave K
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2014-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Givi E370 Monolock mounting?   Givi E370 Monolock mounting? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 5:59 pm

Wink :SWing   You can order the rack for your swing from Twisted Throttle.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Givi E370 Monolock mounting?   Givi E370 Monolock mounting? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 11:27 pm

Bill if you order the SR19M rack you will have the best looking mount that money can buy. I used the SR19M rack on my 08 Silverwing and I'm real happy with it. Without the SR19M rack you will need to use some type of adapter plate to fit between the rear spoiler and the universal mount. I used a ½' aluminum plate for a cheap top box I bought for my 07 Silverwing. If you buy the proper SR19M rack and you want to sell your universal mount PM me as I could use it on a small scooter I have.
Back to top Go down
BillScooterDude
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
BillScooterDude

PostSubject: Re: Givi E370 Monolock mounting?   Givi E370 Monolock mounting? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 11:30 am

Roger,

I ordered a SR19M rack and it should be delivered next. You can buy the universal rack I don't know how much they are worth also will you pay shipping?

Bill
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Givi E370 Monolock mounting?   Givi E370 Monolock mounting? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Givi E370 Monolock mounting?
Page 1 of 1