Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Speaking of bulbs... I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» Drive belt prices
Speaking of bulbs... I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 8:28 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Speaking of bulbs... I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Speaking of bulbs... I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:16 pm

» New to Me Swing
Speaking of bulbs... I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
Speaking of bulbs... I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Yesterday at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
Speaking of bulbs... I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Speaking of bulbs... I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
Speaking of bulbs... I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Speaking of bulbs... I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Speaking of bulbs...

Go down 
+4
BlackFly
Jeff Rosenkranz
Buickguy
bigbird
8 posters
AuthorMessage
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Speaking of bulbs... Empty
PostSubject: Speaking of bulbs...   Speaking of bulbs... I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2011 8:41 am

I have replaced both my rear brake lights with LED's, and I'm happy with the results. I am contemplating changing out the four amber turn signals for LED's as well. In reading about LED's for turn signals, some manufacturers recommend inserting 50W 60 Ohm load resistors to prevent hyper flashing.

Has anyone replaced their turn signals with amber LED's, and if so what did you install? Any and all details appreciated.
Thanks, Terry
Back to top Go down
Buickguy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2011-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Speaking of bulbs...   Speaking of bulbs... I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2011 10:47 am

I've done this. Not on a Silver Wing but another bike.
I replaced the flasher with an electronic one. With an electronic flasher there is no need for the load resistor.
Back to top Go down
Jeff Rosenkranz
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 241
Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: Speaking of bulbs...   Speaking of bulbs... I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2011 11:25 am

Hey Buickguy..........Glad to have you onboard! You have a way of "shedding a little light" on subject matter......with a welcoming, positive attitude. :not worthy: Please continue...................Jeff
Back to top Go down
BlackFly
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
BlackFly

Number of posts : 151
Registration date : 2010-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Speaking of bulbs...   Speaking of bulbs... I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2011 12:17 pm

The flasher is included in the tachometer, therefore it is not (so easy) possible to replace them...

I don't know the exact value but you really need a big resistor that the flasher will flash in the correct speed...

Btw: Which LEDs do you take for the rear light? My Silver Wing has bulbs with a glass socket and i don't find any LEDs with this socket...
Back to top Go down
Buickguy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2011-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Speaking of bulbs...   Speaking of bulbs... I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2011 12:30 pm

BlackFly, your English is certainly better better than my German!
I only know enough Deutsche to either get my face slapped or read some BMW part names. Smile
Since I'm fairly new to the SilverWing scene I did not know where the flasher was located.
Thanks for the heads up. I was hoping to do the LED conversion on the SilverWing myself.

Thanks Jeff. I'm am flattered.
This seems a very nice forum and quite friendly.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Speaking of bulbs...   Speaking of bulbs... I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2011 1:36 pm

BlackFly wrote:

Btw: Which LEDs do you take for the rear light? My Silver Wing has bulbs with a glass socket and i don't find any LEDs with this socket...

THis is what I installed to replace both incandescent rear tail/stoplights. I bought them in red:

http://store.ledoption.com/LEDoption-T20-7443-30-SMD-Blinker-Brake-LED-bulbs-p/ledoption_7443_l44.htm
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Speaking of bulbs...   Speaking of bulbs... I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2011 1:41 pm

BlackFly wrote:
The flasher is included in the tachometer, therefore it is not (so easy) possible to replace them...

I don't know the exact value but you really need a big resistor that the flasher will flash in the correct speed...

The more I investigate replacing the turn signal bulbs with LED's, the more I think it isn't worth the expense and effort. I'm not going to rip into the tach to replace the flasher, and I also don't want to install the resistors to up the current draw. My main reason for wanting to go LED was to reduce current draw.
Back to top Go down
BlackFly
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
BlackFly

PostSubject: Re: Speaking of bulbs...   Speaking of bulbs... I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2011 1:52 pm

What you can do is to cut the Wires to the OEM flasher in the tachometer and aft of the OEM flasher and put one of the electonic instead of the OEM. This will work but in this case you don't have the indicators in the tachometer anymore...

I also thought to do this, because i had in 3 years with 3 different scoots 5 breakdowns, every was on Highway and 3 of them at night and one of them without emergencylane...
I want a hazardflasher that i can use without ignition and that don't will kill the battery after a few minutes Wink
But i think this is with the Silver Wing only possible if you "redesign" the electric harness and i think i will buy a LED flasher for the 12V plug on my european modell and put them in case of on my topcase...
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Speaking of bulbs...   Speaking of bulbs... I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2011 2:32 pm

Hi Blackfly,

This is kinda old but good information.

I installed a set of flashers on my silverwing. Had a bunch of fun installing them. Picked up the lights and flasher control unit off ebay.

https://www.silverwing600.com/t1683-4-way-flashers
Back to top Go down
edbancro
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2009-10-30

PostSubject: Re: Speaking of bulbs...   Speaking of bulbs... I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2011 7:53 pm

Buickguy wrote:
I've done this. Not on a Silver Wing but another bike.
I replaced the flasher with an electronic one. With an electronic flasher there is no need for the load resistor.

Does anyone know for sure which type of flasher Honda used? Perhaps it is electronic since they integrated it into the cluster? scratch
Back to top Go down
edbancro
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Speaking of bulbs...   Speaking of bulbs... I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2011 8:02 pm

bigbird wrote:

THis is what I installed to replace both incandescent rear tail/stoplights. I bought them in red:

http://store.ledoption.com/LEDoption-T20-7443-30-SMD-Blinker-Brake-LED-bulbs-p/ledoption_7443_l44.htm

Bigbird,

Is the intensity comparable to the incandescent bulbs? Would you mind posting a picture if it's not too much trouble? I've been wanting to put LEDs in mine, but I've had bad experiences in the past with LEDs that, for various reasons, didn't case enough or the right sort of light.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Speaking of bulbs...   Speaking of bulbs... I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2011 9:47 pm

edbancro wrote:

Bigbird,

Is the intensity comparable to the incandescent bulbs? Would you mind posting a picture if it's not too much trouble? I've been wanting to put LEDs in mine, but I've had bad experiences in the past with LEDs that, for various reasons, didn't case enough or the right sort of light.

If you can wait until the weekend I can post some pics of the rear LED bulbs. I would say the intensity is at least comparable to the stock incandescents. What I like best is the "instant on" reaction of LEDs. There is no lag of a filament heating up.
Back to top Go down
edbancro
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Speaking of bulbs...   Speaking of bulbs... I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2011 9:54 pm

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
BlackFly
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
BlackFly

PostSubject: Re: Speaking of bulbs...   Speaking of bulbs... I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2011 3:41 am

edbancro wrote:
Does anyone know for sure which type of flasher Honda used? Perhaps it is electronic since they integrated it into the cluster?
You can simply test it: Remove one bulb and look the other one. If it is faster then you have the "normal" Relay and if it has the same speed then you have the electronic one and you can install LEDs without any other work. But i don't think that they have electronic one installed, normaly the relays are installed that you can see on the speed if one bulb fails

@bigbird:
Which LED do you used? Did you build anything or do you have bought LEDs with the T20 Socket and with 2 brightness? Or do you have another filaments in the US Version?
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3791
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Speaking of bulbs...   Speaking of bulbs... I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2011 5:18 am

I wish to make the following observation since the question of replacing lights, both front and rear, with LEDs is discussed regularly:
Ed, my partner, drove buses, single- and double-deckers, in London for a year.
He was often troubled by the inability to see LEDs retrospectively fitted to the rear of motorcycles because the bulbs very often didn't 'use' the standard reflectors as efficiently as the standard bulbs and became uni-directional.
They were fine if drivers of following vehicles were at roughly the same height as the bikes but to drivers sitting much higher they become invisible.
More worryingly, in bright sunlight, LED indicators disappear.
This was true even of some modern vehicles where LEDs are fitted as standard.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Speaking of bulbs...   Speaking of bulbs... I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2011 8:12 am

Mike:
I also run an Admore LED mini light bar just below the Swing rear rack and have an Admore LED kit on my Givi top box. I'll post some pics, at an angle, of my LED brake lights. They are supposedly newer technology with a wide light pattern. I'm a firm believer that you can never have enough illumination when riding a 2 wheeled vehicle on public roads.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Speaking of bulbs...   Speaking of bulbs... I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2011 8:14 am

BlackFly wrote:

@bigbird:
Which LED do you used? Did you build anything or do you have bought LEDs with the T20 Socket and with 2 brightness? Or do you have another filaments in the US Version?

This is what I used:

No modifications necessary.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Speaking of bulbs...   Speaking of bulbs... I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2011 10:45 am

DennisB wrote:
Hi Terry,

If you have time, could you take 2 short video(s) of what these bulbs look like in the day and at night. Thanks.

With my son's cooperation (he owns the video camera) I'd be glad to. I'm also going to get him to video a driving shot with and without the Kisan headlight modulator in operation.
Terry
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3791
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Speaking of bulbs...   Speaking of bulbs... I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2011 12:31 pm

Terry, I agree, and as you know I, too, have an Admore light-bar.

Unquestionably, everyone here is very careful with regard to all aspects of riding and trying to stay safe - it had never occured to me that adding what should be better light-bulbs may actually be counter-productive until Ed mentioned the problems he'd experienced as a bus-driver.

It made me think! Smile
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Speaking of bulbs...   Speaking of bulbs... I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 30, 2011 11:29 am

bigbird wrote:
DennisB wrote:
Hi Terry,

If you have time, could you take 2 short video(s) of what these bulbs look like in the day and at night. Thanks.

With my son's cooperation (he owns the video camera) I'd be glad to. I'm also going to get him to video a driving shot with and without the Kisan headlight modulator in operation.
Terry

No pictures or video this weekend. It's raining heavily all day, with rain changing to snow overnight. Sunday will be clearing, but winds out of the North at 70 km/h and temp steady at -1C.
I'll try for later next week. I promise.
Back to top Go down
masscoot
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
masscoot

Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2009-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Speaking of bulbs...   Speaking of bulbs... I_icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2011 7:35 pm

...bump

Just wondering if you had a chance to take a picture or short video.
Thanks
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Speaking of bulbs...   Speaking of bulbs... I_icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2011 9:37 pm

masscoot wrote:
...bump

Just wondering if you had a chance to take a picture or short video.
Thanks

Will do this weekend. I'm off work until Monday but my son is not off until Saturday. I haven't forgotten.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Speaking of bulbs...   Speaking of bulbs... I_icon_minitimeSun May 15, 2011 2:19 pm

OK, the picture of all the LED bulbs is now posted in my album. I will shortly be putting a link in there to a Youtube video of the headlight modulator and all LED bulbs flashing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Speaking of bulbs...   Speaking of bulbs... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Speaking of bulbs...
Page 1 of 1