Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
A letter from Honda...You might be surprised! (Please Rant!) I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Today at 12:04 pm

» Left brake micro-switch
A letter from Honda...You might be surprised! (Please Rant!) I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
A letter from Honda...You might be surprised! (Please Rant!) I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
A letter from Honda...You might be surprised! (Please Rant!) I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

» Silverwing Brakes
A letter from Honda...You might be surprised! (Please Rant!) I_icon_minitimeby Silverwingdays Fri May 10, 2024 6:20 am

» YSS rear shocks for sale
A letter from Honda...You might be surprised! (Please Rant!) I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Wed May 08, 2024 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
A letter from Honda...You might be surprised! (Please Rant!) I_icon_minitimeby COMick Tue May 07, 2024 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
A letter from Honda...You might be surprised! (Please Rant!) I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
A letter from Honda...You might be surprised! (Please Rant!) I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
A letter from Honda...You might be surprised! (Please Rant!) I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

A letter from Honda...You might be surprised! (Please Rant!)

Go down 
+3
DennisB
Opalsboy
dspevack
7 posters
AuthorMessage
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

A letter from Honda...You might be surprised! (Please Rant!) Empty
PostSubject: A letter from Honda...You might be surprised! (Please Rant!)   A letter from Honda...You might be surprised! (Please Rant!) I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 5:19 pm

About a year ago, I wrote a Honda VP to discuss this forum, and our desires.
I got a polite phone call back, but no information about the items discussed in the letter.
On October 3rd, I wrote a followup letter, saying I had not heard anything about the first letter,
nor seen in a year, any changes to Honda's marketing, bike, or accessories, nor any reply to my
letter indicating they had followed up on any of the information provided.

As an example, one of the things I mentioned was the existing Honda trunk light replacement that
Honda uses on their cars, that fits our bikes perfectly and has the built in switch, to overcome the
common problem of the seats not latching all the way and killing the battery.

Anyway, I went thru some old mail and found they had sent me this, which I just hadn't looked at until now:

Nov 11, 2008
Dear Mr Spevack,

I am responding to your letter of October 3, on behalf of Mr. Blank. First let me say that
we appreciate the enthusiasm for your ownership of the Silverwing, and your sincere
desire to share your suggestions for improving the features. I'm sure you can understand
that there are many considerations that go into the creation and marketing of a product in
the marketplace, and what may work well in one part of the world, might not have the
same return on investment in another part of the world.

American Honda has many aspects of sales and marketing to consider before it brings a
product to market or makes significant changes to a product, and while there may be
features that would appeal to some in the market the judgement may be that there is not
enough potential interest in a given feature to warrant its introduction into another market
area. We make our marketing decisions on many factors and we do take into
consideration the desires of loyal Honda owners such as yourself, but ultimately the choices
that are make must be done using our best judegement and without acception or discussing
unsolicited product features and improvement ideas.

We would respectfully request that no further suggestions be submitted, to minimize our
risks from future lawsuits from individuals that might claim to have the same ideas as what
may already be in development by the Honda engineers.

William R. Willen
Managing Counsel
Product Regulatory Office.
--------------------------------------
While I understand and agree with most of his points, do they not understand what a focus group is?
Do they not understand that the best focus group they can have at no cost to them is these forums?

What are your thoughts?

A letter from Honda...You might be surprised! (Please Rant!) Image_show.pl?img=%2fmwf%2fattach%2f48%2f25748%2fletter
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: A letter from Honda...You might be surprised! (Please Rant!)   A letter from Honda...You might be surprised! (Please Rant!) I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 6:08 pm

"We would respectfully request that no further suggestions be submitted, to minimize our
risks from future lawsuits from individuals that might claim to have the same ideas as what
may already be in development by the Honda enginee
rs".

I couldn't help but think how two words being changed would sound so similar to an email I got from my Senator a few months ago about a bill I wanted to make a suggestion for....

Change "Honda engineers" to "US Senators"*

*Is that two words?

Aren't we blessed that our Swings are so great in spite of attitudes like your letter suggests.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: A letter from Honda...You might be surprised! (Please Rant!)   A letter from Honda...You might be surprised! (Please Rant!) I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 8:19 pm

Hi Gary,

Your right on about this letter sounding like a form letter. I can just see it now..... a bunch of $200,000 a year people sitting around a table debating which form letter to send. It probly took them a week to decide on this letter. cheers

DennisB
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: A letter from Honda...You might be surprised! (Please Rant!)   A letter from Honda...You might be surprised! (Please Rant!) I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 10:05 pm

Wow,

That letter didn't sound very wise on Honda's part. You would think they would want to know what the people who buy their product would like. It would have been best to not even respond at all.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
scooterbob
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
scooterbob

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2009-01-30

PostSubject: Re: A letter from Honda...You might be surprised! (Please Rant!)   A letter from Honda...You might be surprised! (Please Rant!) I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 10:33 pm

Maybe the letter should of gone to "Honda" headquarters in Japan.

American Honda motorcycle/scooter division is a profit driven sales group. They do not design nor do they build our machines.

If I could write in Japenesse, the headquarters in Japan is where I would write to. If there was a similar response, I would seriously consider not buying their product in the future.

Thats right. I myself (personaly) would stop buying Honda products.

Thrue my job I have had to deal with German, Brittish, and French companies. When I got a poor response from their "US" offices, I contacted their headquarters. Each and every time the headquarters response was caring and did satisfy my concerns.

Well, thats my take on the subject.

Have a great day
bob

bob

PS Dan, I posted this response of mine on other boards, so if "Honda" is reading these forums, they will know what to expect from me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A letter from Honda...You might be surprised! (Please Rant!)   A letter from Honda...You might be surprised! (Please Rant!) I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 28, 2009 11:19 pm

When any company makes any change to a product it is viewed as an engineering mistake on their part and is subject to a gillion lawsuits. There are armys of lawyers out here who will sue for anything and every company lives in fear of lawsuits. When you buy a new car for 30,000 you can figure that at least 5,000 is for product liability insurance to cover the law suits. The fellow from HONDA COULDNT TELL YOU THE TRUTH SINCE THAT WOULD LIKELY LEAD TO AHOTHER LAWSUIT.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A letter from Honda...You might be surprised! (Please Rant!)   A letter from Honda...You might be surprised! (Please Rant!) I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 8:53 am

Well said Jeff. I think the Suzuki forum is monitored by Suzuki. Maybe Honda just doesn't want to know what we think.
Back to top Go down
Ghost_rider
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Ghost_rider

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2009-01-12

PostSubject: Re: A letter from Honda...You might be surprised! (Please Rant!)   A letter from Honda...You might be surprised! (Please Rant!) I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 11:58 am

Sounds to me that honda does NOT
care what w want.. All they want is the
money coming from the machines.
It would be nice if there was a honda
rep reading all rthe stuff we post
on this forum so they could get
some feedback. To make some good
changes to the sccots we ride and the
cars we drive. IF they did care
we probably would have a bigger
cc on the new swings and a
couple of other improvements.
Ghost rider Greg
Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1025
Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: A letter from Honda...You might be surprised! (Please Rant!)   A letter from Honda...You might be surprised! (Please Rant!) I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 12:23 pm

I can't believe that Honda (that includes all of the various importers around the world) do not monitor the myriad scooter forums. The complaints registered here are probably put in the giant pile of "stuff" that all companies have for that purpose.
Back to top Go down
http://www.joncallihan.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A letter from Honda...You might be surprised! (Please Rant!)   A letter from Honda...You might be surprised! (Please Rant!) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A letter from Honda...You might be surprised! (Please Rant!)
Page 1 of 1