Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Union Covered Bridge State Historic Site I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Union Covered Bridge State Historic Site I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:43 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Union Covered Bridge State Historic Site I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:41 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Union Covered Bridge State Historic Site I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:35 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Union Covered Bridge State Historic Site I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Union Covered Bridge State Historic Site I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Today at 5:15 am

» LF extended back rest
Union Covered Bridge State Historic Site I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Yesterday at 8:54 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Union Covered Bridge State Historic Site I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 12:54 pm

» Drive belt prices
Union Covered Bridge State Historic Site I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Union Covered Bridge State Historic Site I_icon_minitimeby landisr Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:15 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Union Covered Bridge State Historic Site

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
smorkle
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
smorkle

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2010-08-21

Union Covered Bridge State Historic Site Empty
PostSubject: Union Covered Bridge State Historic Site   Union Covered Bridge State Historic Site I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 16, 2010 10:50 pm

Today my Fiancee and I took a 360 mile round trip. It was an impromptu journey and, even though I posted an invitation for anyone who wanted to join us to go along, we went by ourselves.

We rode from Randolph, MO up scenic 210 highway out to Richmond, MO and caught highway 10 where 210 ends. We followed 10 to where it ends at 24 highway. We followed 24 out to Moberly, MO where we had lunch at Pizza Works. They had pretty good pizza. We continued on 24 out to Missouri "C" highway south to the bridge site.

The bridge is right at the end of a paved road and there is very easy access to it. This bridge was not as well preserved as the Locust Creek covered bridge, but is very interesting none the less. According to the signage, there was a flash flood in 2008 and they took some of the siding off of the bridge in order to prevent the water from washing it away and it has remained in that state ever since. There have been a lot of people who came along with spray paint and wrote their names in the bridge which is very unfortunate. Parking is gravel and there are no restrooms nearby.

Since we were alone, we decided that being as Boone's Lick state park was somewhat on our way back we'd stop by there as well. We followed 24 highway back up to Missouri 3 south and took that down to highway 240 and took that over to 87. 87 is a really nice road to ride a 2 wheeler on! 187 turns off of 87 and takes you to the park. Boone's Lick is a saltwater well that was purportedly discovered by Daniel Boone, but there is evidence refuting that tale. It was a 3/8 mile hike down to the well site and a pictorial tour of the saline brine works that used to occupy the grounds.

We backtracked up 87 to 240 and followed it west to 65north and then back to 24 and on into Independence. We took 291 to Liberty and had Chick-Fil-A for dinner and completed our day's trip. Both of us had a slight case of Numb Butt Syndrome (NBS) but we had a great time. We also found a few other sites we'd like to go back and see for another day's trip!

More information can be found about the bridge here.

Union Covered Bridge State Historic Site 40887_442714674226_568009226_5433876_3729249_n

All of my pictures of today can be found HERE.

A map of today's route can be found HERE.
Back to top Go down
MaxB
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
MaxB

Number of posts : 302
Registration date : 2009-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Union Covered Bridge State Historic Site   Union Covered Bridge State Historic Site I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 17, 2010 12:02 am

Nice day trip. and wonderful pictures.

maxB
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Union Covered Bridge State Historic Site   Union Covered Bridge State Historic Site I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 17, 2010 7:49 am

Very nice. We have 5 covered bridges that are all available to us on a single days' ride.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
smorkle
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
smorkle

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2010-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Union Covered Bridge State Historic Site   Union Covered Bridge State Historic Site I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 17, 2010 9:52 am

Thanks guys, we had a lot of fun.

jdeereanton: We have 4 here in Missouri but 2 of them are just a little bit far for a day trip. The other two are south of St Louis. I intend to go visit them one of these days, but it'll probably need to be an overnight stay.

I do have another overnight trip planned for sometime next year where we start here in Kansas City and end in St Louis and cross every Missouri river bridge between here and there and take a picture of the SWing at the foot of each. Maybe even get a Mississippi bridge or two in the mix.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Union Covered Bridge State Historic Site   Union Covered Bridge State Historic Site I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Union Covered Bridge State Historic Site
Page 1 of 1