Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» YSS rear shocks for sale
Rear Wheel Removal I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Today at 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
Rear Wheel Removal I_icon_minitimeby COMick Yesterday at 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Rear Wheel Removal I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Rear Wheel Removal I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Rear Wheel Removal I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Rear Wheel Removal I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Rear Wheel Removal I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Rear Wheel Removal I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Rear Wheel Removal I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Rear Wheel Removal I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Rear Wheel Removal

Go down 
+7
MikeO
KurtPerthWA
DickO
Waspie
john grinsel
eddy
mitch
11 posters
AuthorMessage
mitch
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
mitch

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2010-09-10

Rear Wheel Removal Empty
PostSubject: Rear Wheel Removal   Rear Wheel Removal I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 4:12 am

Hi.

I am intersested in finding out how to remove the rear wheel but cannot find any information relating to this on the forum.

Could someone please direct me to a tutorial, if there is one, or give some guidance on how to remove the rear wheel.

Some maxi scoots are easier than others i.e. I think I am right in saying that the exhaust on a Burger 400 has to be removed prior to removing rear wheel.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
eddy
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Rear Wheel Removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear Wheel Removal   Rear Wheel Removal I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 4:55 am

Hi Mitch.

http://www.leroybeal.net/motorcycles/silverwing/articles/rearwheel/rearwheel.html

Eddy
Back to top Go down
http://edho@operamail.com
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Rear Wheel Removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear Wheel Removal   Rear Wheel Removal I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 7:11 am

The pictures tell it all----but US and I assume EU newer models have OX sensor on muffler to remove-----if shop manual is followed right side panel have to come off, too to get at connector.

Think they guy that approved this design should have to pull rear wheels out several times in one night, dark, in the rain.....and maybe a better design could be found at the same price point. Also the "packing" at the exhaust pipe muffler joint is sensitive. I try to carry a spare.

John Grinsel
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Rear Wheel Removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear Wheel Removal   Rear Wheel Removal I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 9:39 am

mitch wrote:
Some maxi scoots are easier than others i.e. I think I am right in saying that the exhaust on a Burger 400 has to be removed prior to removing rear wheel.

Thanks.

Mitch, yes the Burger 400 exhaust needs to be removed as does the Lambda sensor in the K4 and higher.

The studs attaching the 'xaust can easily shear! I filed them away, drilled the remaining stud out and replaced with HTS nuts and bolts and coated with graphite grease.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

Rear Wheel Removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear Wheel Removal   Rear Wheel Removal I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 2:14 am

Just a minor technicality, but I happened to notice in the Leroy Beal instructions that he said to loosen the rear axel nut with the torque wrench. That is really a "no-no" and may serve to damage the wrench or at least make it read "off". At least that's what we were taught while performing jet engine maintenance in the service. I believe a standard ratchet and socket would be more appropriate in this situation.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Rear Wheel Removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear Wheel Removal   Rear Wheel Removal I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 4:25 pm

DickO wrote:
Just a minor technicality, but I happened to notice in the Leroy Beal instructions that he said to loosen the rear axel nut with the torque wrench. That is really a "no-no" and may serve to damage the wrench or at least make it read "off". At least that's what we were taught while performing jet engine maintenance in the service. I believe a standard ratchet and socket would be more appropriate in this situation.

We were taught the same thing in the Brit Services, (Helo maintenance), regards torque wrenches.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1709
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Rear Wheel Removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear Wheel Removal   Rear Wheel Removal I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 7:04 am

Don't get me started on this Waspie, don.... tooo late... @#$%!

Some time ago I loaned my torque wrench to a workmate(ex RAAF erk) based on his high profile service knowledge. Apparently he used it to undo, unsuccessfully ,a rusted up pneumatic/hydraulic fitting on a railway ballast dumper. The 3 foot pipe he used as a handle extender was of no help at all either, as it only managed to smash the pawl in the wrench.

To quote Bart Simpson "I didn't do it" ,"

it was faulty before I started using it"

I have now reassembled it and moved the good pawl to the undo position and use it for stripping down engines etc as it has remarkable leverage with the ratchet as well. Its all its good for!

I usually do not lend out tools. this was an exception due to the apparent skills of the workmate.

Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2009-06-29

Rear Wheel Removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear Wheel Removal   Rear Wheel Removal I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 7:50 am

There was a sticker for tool-boxes which said (more or less),

You can borrow my shirt,
You can borrow my wife,
But don't ask to borrow my Snap-On tools.
Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1025
Registration date : 2009-02-16

Rear Wheel Removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear Wheel Removal   Rear Wheel Removal I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 11:02 am

Never trust a man with a Snap-on Tool alien beamed up
Back to top Go down
http://www.joncallihan.com
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1709
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Rear Wheel Removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear Wheel Removal   Rear Wheel Removal I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 11:11 am

Stop it guys, or Dale will relegate this thread to the humour section
Back to top Go down
Skippy
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Skippy

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2010-08-18

Rear Wheel Removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear Wheel Removal   Rear Wheel Removal I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 12:01 pm

I always thought the same as you guys, i.e. never use a torque wrench to undo stuff at which point my erstwhile colleague from the Royal Navy pointed out that TW's have a switch on them allowing them to be used either clock wise or anti..... he said wot rot if they didn't want you to undo stuff why make them so???

I got a rather shifty look for pointing out that some - 'some' nuts & bolts had a reverse thread...............
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Rear Wheel Removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear Wheel Removal   Rear Wheel Removal I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 1:29 pm

Skippy wrote:
TW's have a switch on them allowing them to be used either clock wise or anti.....

The high quality torque wrenches don't have a reverse switch. My 1/2" drive Snap-On will only tighten. The breaker bar is for loosening.
Back to top Go down
kbcmdba
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
kbcmdba

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2011-05-05

Rear Wheel Removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear Wheel Removal   Rear Wheel Removal I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2011 3:19 am

So - when I was working on aircraft, I saw another guy get a nice talking to about throwing a Snap-On torque wrench out of calibration by using it to try to loosen several hard to move bolts. After measurement, it was more than 20 lbs off on the weak side so it would indicate 100ftlbs but only be putting out 80ftlbs. Yikes.

Moral of the story - use the right tool for the right stuff.
Back to top Go down
http://kbcmdba.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

Rear Wheel Removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear Wheel Removal   Rear Wheel Removal I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rear Wheel Removal
Page 1 of 1